Which social media event related to comic book movies was the most embarrassing in your opinion?

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which social media event related to comic book movies was the most embarrassing in your opinion? (28 votes)

Sabotaging the movie of a rival franchise with negative reviews and spoilers 32%
Peaceful protest outside a film studio for a director's cut of a movie 0%
Campaigning for fans to buy multiple tickets for a movie with a struggling box office 14%
Sending death threats to critics for giving negative reviews to a movie 36%
Petitioning to shutdown review aggregator websites for rating a movie negatively 14%

Modern day comic book movies rely a lot on social media for publicity, whether good or bad. They can be done by the marketing department promoting the film, or they can be done by fans.

Today we focus on the negative aspects of social media when they are used by the general audience of comic book movies.

Relatively recently, there are quite a number of comic book movie-related social media events which generated negative attention. Many of the reasonable fans even disavowed themselves from these events, saying that they don't support such actions. Among these events, which one do you think embarrassed you the most?

Sources provided for context, so you can get a feel of it and give your opinion on it.

1. Sabotaging the movie of a rival franchise with negative reviews and spoilers: https://www.cbr.com/dceu-fans-black-panther-rt-score-spoil-fans/
  2. Peaceful protest outside a film studio for a director's cut of a movie: https://www.cbr.com/snyder-fans-protest-warner-bros-justice-league/
  3. Campaigning for fans to buy multiple tickets for a movie with a struggling box office: http://junkee.com/justice-league-fan-campaign/136613
  4. Sending death threats to critics for giving negative reviews to a movie: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/dc-fans-send-death-threats-to-3-critics-a140871
  5. Petitioning to shutdown review aggregator websites for rating a movie negatively: https://variety.com/2016/film/news/suicide-squad-fans-petition-rotten-tomatoes-bad-reviews-shut-down-1201829631/

Discuss.

• 
Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are people happens with anything with mass popularity look at politics or religon... not embarrassed by anything here because I did not participate people are stupid why be embarrassed

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ITouchedTheBoat

no reason to feel embarrassed unless you took part in it. The proper word should be 'pathetic'

and I'd give it to the negative reviews one, that was sad and disrespectful on so many levels.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These first world problems sure are worrisome

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The first and the fourth.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba40b3bbbeee
deactivated-5ba40b3bbbeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The death threats.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

Tie between sabotaging it with negative reviews and campaigning for multiple ticket purchases. Death threats are crazy and all, but the former two are just sad and reek of salt and desperation.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no reason to feel embarrassed unless you took part in it. The proper word should be 'pathetic'

and I'd give it to the negative reviews one, that was sad and disrespectful on so many levels.

People are people happens with anything with mass popularity look at politics or religon... not embarrassed by anything here because I did not participate people are stupid why be embarrassed

There do exist fans who are embarrassed by the above listed events. Even if you did not participate in these events, the fact that these fans are part of the fanbase that you belong to should have some impact.

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx: I like things because I like things I dont have any care for any other fans what they do is there business I'm not involved in any fan bases

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrmonster

The first one. Look, if you didn't care for the Black Panther movie, fine, do what you want with your time and your money. But these jerks were going out of their way to ruin the movie for others, and that's just pathetic of them.

Plus, I find it very hard to believe that racism wasn't involved on at least some level.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first one. Look, if you didn't care for the Black Panther movie, fine, do what you want with your time and your money. But these jerks were going out of their way to ruin the movie for others, and that's just pathetic of them.

Plus, I find it very hard to believe that racism wasn't involved on at least some level.

There are quite a number of reasons why that social media event targeted Black Panther.

Racism is the first thing that comes to mind because of all films that the "rival fanboys" target, they chose a film that's touted to be the "first of its genre" when there are bigger, more relevant films in the franchise to attack, such as the Avengers films.

There are other factors in play as well, which is the Star Wars fanbase (A massive one) who are apparently unhappy with Disney's The Last Jedi film.

That said, as these really "rival fanboys" of the MCU or just trolls who happened to pick Black Panther as an acceptable target of sorts?

DevisedDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first one is probably most embarrassing.

The death threats is by far the most horrible.

And petitioning to shut down Rotten Tomatoes is just plain stupid.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx: I like things because I like things I dont have any care for any other fans what they do is there business I'm not involved in any fan bases

Think of it like the fan that does that embarrassing thing belongs to the same group as you belong to. Wouldn't you be afraid that other people might associate you with the likes of that fan?

MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx: nope and besides I dont publically blab about everything I like

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 socajunkie  Moderator

Anyone who resorts to death threats for something so petty has something fundamentally wrong with their brain, is a waste of oxygen and should probably never have kids.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's hear more on this

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All are equally an embarrassment to humanity.

There are children being murdered and having their limbs chopped off by religious extremist, but instead of bringing light to such atrocities people choose to protest and send death threats because of a movie. Mankind is already doomed.