• 60 results
Posted by ganon15 (6481 posts) 8 months, 7 days ago

Poll: Which scene was dumber - BvS "Save Martha" or Guardians of the Galaxy "Dance off"? (87 votes)

Martha 67%
Dance off 33%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by rahiem9123 (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

Both.

#2 Posted by Saberscar223 (4308 posts) - - Show Bio

Being that half of BVS was showing how much Bruce hated Superman and wanted him dead and all that 1% chance talk id say the Martha scene

#3 Posted by Green_Tea (9968 posts) - - Show Bio

Dance off was intended to be funny, the Martha scene wasn’t, but still funny.

#4 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

Dance off was intended to be funny, the Martha scene wasn’t, but still funny.

Being that half of BVS was showing how much Bruce hated Superman and wanted him dead and all that 1% chance talk id say the Martha scene

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#5 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (13020 posts) - - Show Bio

Dancing scene is the worst scene in the MCU.

#6 Posted by IAmVerySmart1 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is based on the assumption that the scenes were not intended to be stupid, right?

Dancing scene was intended by the director to be a stupid comedy scene.

"Save Martha" scene.... Not intended to be dumb. Whether or not you think this scene is stupid is another question.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#7 Edited by MarvelandDCfan24 (6056 posts) - - Show Bio

Dancing scene kind of ruined the movie and fell flat unless you're like 12

The Martha scene was just another dumb scene in a dumb movie

Dancing scene did worse to it's movie than the Martha one

#8 Posted by IAmVerySmart1 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm seems that a lot of people don't understand that the dancing scene in that movie was intended to be stupid.

#9 Posted by Gokluma (7325 posts) - - Show Bio

Dancing scene was just basically an insult to at making the villain felt like a threat.

#10 Posted by Green_Tea (9968 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokluma: Martha scene was an insult to both iconic heroes in a movie that’s already a middle finger of an insult to those characters :)

#11 Posted by Gokluma (7325 posts) - - Show Bio

@green_tea: Well at least it got a villain who can fight back and killed someone unlike MCU Ronan even with his infinity gem planet busting hype.

#12 Posted by Otsdarva999 (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Most definitely the Martha scene

#13 Posted by IAmVerySmart1 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokluma said:

@green_tea: Well at least it got a villain who can fight back and killed someone unlike MCU Ronan even with his infinity gem planet busting hype.

Did you even watch the Guardians of the Galaxy movie? Your statement sounds like you did not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8289dff2724
#14 Posted by deactivated-5a8289dff2724 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

The Martha scene took me out of the movie entirely, Bruce ended up not killing a being who he believed to be a threat that needed to be eliminated no matter what, just because he said Martha.

The Guardian dance off totally fit the theme of the movie, as stupid as it was, it didn't feel out of place.

#15 Edited by Gokluma (7325 posts) - - Show Bio

@iamverysmart1: Well yean i watched it and still say MCU ronan is a one trick pony who barely did much aside from one fight against drax who is a laughing jobber by now.

I know DCEU is so easy to hate since it's cool but i gotta say MCU has some flaws and lot of badly written villains.

#16 Posted by MainJP (5246 posts) - - Show Bio

Martha scene and it's not even remotely close.

#17 Posted by IAmVerySmart1 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokluma said:

@iamverysmart1: Well yean i watched it and still say MCU ronan is a one trick pony who barely did much aside from one fight against drax who is a laughing jobber by now.

I know DCEU is so easy to hate since it's cool but i gotta say MCU has some flaws and lot of badly written villains.

Are you using the logic that Ronan had weaker feats (battle forum stuff) to justify that his scene is dumber? I think my statement here might sound rude but that's utterly stupid logic.

No one is saying that MCU had no flaws, but even I as a DCEU fan would say that MCU is more enjoyable to watch.

Also, MCU Ronan nearly killed Drax (Who was revived by Groot), killed a Nova Corps member brutally (offscreen), and ordered the deaths of everyone in the prison that the guardians escaped from. He's far more monstrous than DCEU Doomsday who is closer to an aggressive animal than an actual villain.

If you are going to argue against MCU, at least pick better examples.

#18 Posted by Gokluma (7325 posts) - - Show Bio

@iamverysmart1: Nevermind but i still say Mathra scene seem bit dumb but still gotta say dancing scene ain't my taste.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#19 Edited by TheSpartanB345T (3645 posts) - - Show Bio

At least the dance off was a joke.

#20 Posted by mrmonster (11776 posts) - - Show Bio

The dance off wasn't stupid at all. It was meant for purely comedic purposes.

The "Martha" thing was just extremely lazy writing, and this is coming from someone who actually liked Batman v Superman.

Avatar image for _kingoflatveria
#21 Posted by _KingofLatveria (17225 posts) - - Show Bio

@mainjp said:

#22 Posted by IAmVerySmart1 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

The dance off wasn't stupid at all. It was meant for purely comedic purposes.

The "Martha" thing was just extremely lazy writing, and this is coming from someone who actually liked Batman v Superman.

how was it lazy writing? I understood the scene for what it is: Batman was gradually becoming unhinged but Superman's mention of the word "Martha" reminded Batman of his own humanity and that Superman is not too different from him.

#23 Posted by Amcu (14039 posts) - - Show Bio

For me the dancing scene wasn't stupid it was meant to show a last ditch effort from a hero facing someone who he couldn't beat so he used other means. It was mainly meant to be funny and I thought it was fine.

For me the Martha scene was a moment that was meant to be serious. However, it was so unbelievable that it takes you out of the moment and almost makes you laugh at the cringe. It's just so hard to believe that someone actually wrote that.

#24 Posted by HeroUp2112 (17196 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

For me the dancing scene wasn't stupid it was meant to show a last ditch effort from a hero facing someone who he couldn't beat so he used other means. It was mainly meant to be funny and I thought it was fine.

For me the Martha scene was a moment that was meant to be serious. However, it was so unbelievable that it takes you out of the moment and almost makes you laugh at the cringe. It's just so hard to believe that someone actually wrote that.

#25 Posted by APEX_pretador (18636 posts) - - Show Bio

@mainjp said:

This

@amcu said:

And this

The dance off scene was intended to be a dumb defeat to Ronan. It shows a presence of mind from Peter, a unique way to handle things, IMPROVISATION. Yes, it was weird and cringeworthy, but realistic.

On the other hand, the Martha scene was so cringeworthy and ridiculous that it doesn't make any sense. What is it supposed to show? If Clark had said "maartha" instead of "if I wanted you dead, you'd be dead already" or instead of blowing up the machineguns or something like that, then the fight would've never happened in the first place. So if Batman has joker on the ropes like that, he would stop if he said "maartha"? And Clark said it like Bruce knows who's maartha? It is made even worse by the fact that the scene is supposed/intended to be a great scene, yet fails miserably.

Imagine this: Star-lord said "Save yondu" when Ronan is about to blow up Xandar, but he stops and asks "Why did you say that name?" till gamora comes to his side and says "Yondu may not be his father but he is his daddy" and Ronan gives up on the idea of blowing up the planet. Yeah, the dance off is better

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#26 Posted by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (1847 posts) - - Show Bio

Martha, and it isn't even close. It defeated the logic of the characters in question, and it doesn't make logical sense. While dance off is stupid, it could actually almost make sense for someone desperate in a situation to cause any distraction he can to maybe get lucky at the opponent being intrigued. Which, guess what? ACTUALLY MAKES A BIT OF SENSE GIVEN THE CONTEXT. Just because you find it stupid, doesn't mean it is. If he just went after him, chances are, Ronan would have simply rushed to put it in the ground a moment sooner, and gg on all. Think outside the box man.

#27 Posted by m2k (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Martha by far. Lol. Just so damn illogical and for it to be a big reveal/turning point of the movie is rediculous beyond words really.

Peter's dance may seem goofy but it fits fine within the circumstances of the situation and most of all, with Peter's personality that the film has layed out. No problem with it what so ever.

Avatar image for green_ballerina
#28 Edited by Green_Ballerina (519 posts) - - Show Bio

Dance off was hilarious and fit the mood of the film. Martha was probably one of the most stupid fight resolutions I’ve ever seen on film.

#29 Posted by Outside_85 (22812 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dance-Off... because if any scene in GotG highlighted how Ronan was living in one movie and Quill and his pals were living in another, that was it. You have goofy toilet humor in Quill, and bellowing monstrous epic in Ronan... kinda like if the charge of the Rohirim in Return of the King had been stopped mid-way because a platoon of clowns had to dance across the battlefield.

I didn't find the Martha scene to be nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Since we've spent the movie getting to know just how OCD Batman is about all of this that he's built himself up to this point where he is going to murder someone with a spear (which is different than shooting them from his car since he can't see them). It's in how he talks and how he looks, like the slight shaking he does when Capitol Hill is blown up. He's built himself up to doing this, and part of it meant dehumanizing Superman. And it's narrowed down so much that Bats is thinking in absolutes, so yeah, ofc it's going to throw him completely off the rails when Superman asks him to save Martha. (Bear in mind that unlike other adaptations, the DCEU Bruce is more hung up on his mother rather than his father... like, it's not random chance it's her tomb his nightmare monster bursts out of).

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#30 Edited by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (1847 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85:

Even if you buy it as good in theory, of beating his absolutes, you still have to admit that the execution is way off to make that point better. And it makes no logical sense on why he said Martha to begin with. Why not something that he would actually say? 'Save my mother'? Or many other such similar phrases. Just because something makes sense on paper, and you can draw up a play, doesn't mean that you don't have to execute it well, and if it isn't done correctly, suddenly doesn't become a bad play in football, or scene in a movie if you will.

Most of us hardcore movie fans saw what they were doing, but it was still terrible. And it was a bad choice for them to try and design it around that name to begin with if you asked me, so I don't even think they should have even set that up to begin with, even with the execution.

And sure, the GotG contrasted the radical differences between character design, but that can actually work, and heck - I wanted them to do that difference (maybe not the same exact contrast) between Batman and Superman. But what was he supposed to do? Rush in and then have Ronan equally rush and just hit it in the ground and GG? No, it was a desperation play based on him being understanding enough that he wasn't going to get there in time. A hail mary, that maybe Ronan would be intrigued enough to try and look and understand him for a moment.

#31 Posted by Outside_85 (22812 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if you buy it as good in theory, of beating his absolutes, you still have to admit that the execution is way off to make that point better. And it makes no logical sense on why he said Martha to begin with. Why not something that he would actually say? 'Save my mother'? Or many other such similar phrases. Just because something makes sense on paper, and you can draw up a play, doesn't mean that you don't have to execute it well, and if it isn't done correctly, suddenly doesn't become a bad play in football, or scene in a movie if you will.

Most of us hardcore movie fans saw what they were doing, but it was still terrible. And it was a bad choice for them to try and design it around that name to begin with if you asked me, so I don't even think they should have even set that up to begin with, even with the execution.

That it might not makes sense can be narrowed down to what we the audience thinks Superman knows and would say in a situation like that. If we go on the face of it that it's just something he says at random in his fevered condition, then yes it might not make sense... but I hold thats a dangerous line to walk down since you could also ask why he is not pleading for his own life at that point. But it's not inconceivable that Superman used Martha intentionally to unbalance Bruce.

Avatar image for proteusxmanrxis
#32 Posted by ProteusXManRxis (4445 posts) - - Show Bio

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?????????

#33 Posted by Chimeroid (8655 posts) - - Show Bio

I get it, people hate BVS, but how on earth is this a contest? The dance scene was dumb, it knew it was dumb, and it excels in it.

#34 Posted by BullPR (5396 posts) - - Show Bio

Martha was an instant classic.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#35 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17868 posts) - - Show Bio

Martha. Martha. Martha. Martha.

Avatar image for captain_inverse
#36 Edited by captain_inverse (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

If you were expecting a epic battle at the end of GOTG and were disappointed, then the directors/writers vision was lost on you...the only serious part in that movie was the first 5 min.

Martha scene was absolute crap, but BvS was sub-par anyway so its not like that scene made the movie anymore worse than it already was.

#37 Posted by AngelJax (10761 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dancing scene even if I don't dislike it

#38 Posted by ArtThief (467 posts) - - Show Bio

The dancing scene is a misunderstood masterpiece.

#39 Posted by GodSaveMeNow (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid: the main reason for their picks was that the dancing scene was intentionally stupid while the martha scene was not.

The thread question was not doing a fair comparison in the first place. Its like asking: "who can crack better jokes? A trained speaker or the drunkard that said something wrong?"

#40 Posted by Chimeroid (8655 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid: the main reason for their picks was that the dancing scene was intentionally stupid while the martha scene was not.

The thread question was not doing a fair comparison in the first place. Its like asking: "who can crack better jokes? A trained speaker or the drunkard that said something wrong?"

The Martha scene was bad. Not stupid. The dancing scene was stupid, not bad. Also, you are equating it incorrectly. In this scene it is the Martha that is the drunkard (tried to be serious, but failed), while the Dancing scene is the trained speaker (tried to be STUPID and succeeded gloriously).

#41 Posted by StormShadow_X (15356 posts) - - Show Bio

Dancing Scene. Completely made Ronan a utter crap of a Villain and it looked pretty stupid. It was there to continue the trend of idiotic villains.

The Martha Scene is one of the few things I'll defend, bruce practically saw a god crying for his mother to be saved in his last breath, I'm not sure why that has become a meme. It was there to show Clark was just as if not more Human than Bruce.

#42 Posted by MarlboroMan (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

Cmon fellas. In this kind of arguments i usually find myself on the marvel side but dancing scene is obviously the worse one among them. It should be easily top 3 stupidest scene ever on modern comic book movies.

#43 Edited by MrAugen (1006 posts) - - Show Bio

I view Guardians of the Galaxy as a comedy adventure, the misfits tossed into the fray of a bigger traditional story. The typical hero would have died fighting Ronan as shown by the legion of Nova Corp slaughtered by his ship. Ronan was prepared for any enemy, except the completely unconventional Star Lord doing something so absurd to distract him. The music is integral to Peter's story of growth and coming to terms with his mother's death and getting past hard times.

If you didn't like the scene I struggle to see how you liked the movie at all. These aren't super serious movies. To me it would be like getting annoyed with Deadpool being goofy in the climax of his movie. "I liked the fight until Wade broke the fourth wall and diminished the threat of the villain." Well, yeah, but did you think he wouldn't be cracking jokes after seeing the first hour and a half?

On "Martha" it just sort of fell flat because I never really bought the Superman and Batman fighting so I equally didn't buy them not fighting with this rationale. I get what they were going for, and it could have been something, but in execution it just felt like a lazy payoff to get them switched over and set up the Doomsday fight.

#44 Edited by Rustlingjimmy (824 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#45 Edited by Gracetrack (4499 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: Totally agree with you about the Martha scene and your reasoning. Well said. It gets blown way out of proportion, almost as if people didn't actually watch the movie leading up to that point. Personally, even delivery wise, I didn't think it was bad at all. In fact, I liked it.

#46 Posted by SanoHibiki (3283 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda can understand the message of "Martha" scene, even with it been done so horribly.

"Dance off" is one of the pinnacles of stupidity I've ever seen in movies.

#47 Posted by DeathandGrim (4513 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dance off is hysterical in its absurdity. Fits the concept of GOTG perfectly.

Martha... ... sigh. It ended the title fight of the movie, which wasn't spectacular to begin with, so it felt like the shower went from mildly hot to lukewarm to just spraying beetles all over you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
#48 Posted by deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

Avatar image for supermanforever
#49 Posted by Supermanforever (6658 posts) - - Show Bio

Still dont know why people think Martha scene was stupid...

#50 Posted by KingOfWakanda (1387 posts) - - Show Bio

The dance off fits the tone of the movie and the character of Peter Quill.

The Martha scene... is poorly executed. It's meant to show Superman's humanity but what would have happened if his mother's name was Katherine? I guess he'd be dead lol.