• 114 results
Posted by Warriorjohn (41 posts) 7 months, 28 days ago

Poll: Which powers would you rather have Electrokinesis or Magnetokinesis? (77 votes)

Electrokinesis 40%
Magnetokinesis 61%

Electrokins: Static Shock, Electro, Black Lightning, Storm (I guess she's an electrokinetic)

Magnetokinetics: Magneto, Polaris, Joseph, Doctor Polaris, Misaka

Which ability is better?

#51 Posted by Epicyon (866 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, they're literally the same thing. Even using comic book logic which is only determined purely by effects and use of power, electrokinetic characters like Electro and even MCU Thor have used their lightning to grab and move things. Magneto is master of magnetism and shoots lightning sometimes... Electromagnetism. You can tell which Magneto is using by how the visual effect is drawn, whenever he uses pure magnetism there are radiating circles, and whenever he uses electromagnetism there will be electricity sparking all around him and the object.

#52 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10086 posts) - - Show Bio

Magnetism grants control over various metals and limited control over electricity so I would like that.

#53 Posted by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio
#54 Posted by mrmonster (15109 posts) - - Show Bio

Magnetic powers

#55 Posted by Fabricolage (1914 posts) - - Show Bio

@batvibe12: @fabricolage: You guys obviously don't realize that they ARE the same damn thing 😑😒

...Good for you?

Either way, whatever you believe, mate.

#56 Edited by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@fabricolage: It's not a 'belief' it's a fact. Might I suggest that you go take a freshman level E&M class

#57 Posted by Fabricolage (1914 posts) - - Show Bio

@fabricolage: It's not a 'belief' it's a fact. Might I suggest that you go take a freshman level E&M class

Once again, good for you. Not like you provided anything.

#58 Posted by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Magnetism grants control over various metals and limited control over electricity so I would like that.

😂😂😂 FYI, Electricity and 'magnetism' i.e. Electromagnetic Force are indistinguishable. So even if you chose Electrokinesis (electromagnetic manipulation) you would still be able to have control over various metals; including the ability to shape, manipulate, and control electricity.

#59 Posted by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn said:

How about the fact that I said Electricity and Electromagnetism are the same force?

#60 Posted by Fabricolage (1914 posts) - - Show Bio

@fabricolage said:
@kekoajohn said:

How about the fact that I said Electricity and Electromagnetism are the same force?

And nothing more.

#61 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10086 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn: Why is that so funny? I wasn’t even talking about the electromagnetic spectrum and the ability to control magnetic fields. How is that and electrical currents the same thing?

#62 Edited by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal said:

@kekoajohn: Why is that so funny? I wasn’t even talking about the electromagnetic spectrum and the ability to control magnetic fields.

With all due respect, man, what you don't realize is that you actually was talking about that. First off, you cannot look at Electricity or 'Electrokinesis' and Electromagnetism or 'magnetokinesis' as two distinct power-sets because they are indistinguishable.

@mister_surreal said:

@kekoajohn: How is that and electrical currents the same thing?

Because they both give rise to the other. A changing Electric Field creates an Electromagnetic Field and a changing Electromagnetic Field creates an Electric Field. This is why physicists usually refer to Electromagnetism or Electromagnetic Force together, rather than separately.

Electricity and Electromagnetism might've seem like 2 distinct forces a while back, but we now know that they are really the same force manifesting itself as 2 seemingly distinct forces. I'm an Electrical Engineer, this why I have such a hard time accepting everybody's comments. I especially am annoyed by the man who posted this topic.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
#63 Posted by FireStarLord73194 (4998 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh... basically interchangeable

#64 Posted by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio
#65 Posted by Tyger (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn: Even though they are the same thing when broken down, they are still two different power sets and the question is which would you rather have meaning exclusively just one. No "theoretically you could unlock one through the other" Fox Magneto isn't doing what MCU Thor can do and vice versa.

OT: Magnetism is much more practical, there would be next to no use for shooting lightning in everyday life.

#67 Edited by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@firestarlord73194: Wanna 😂 at something funny? Read the comment below 👇

@tyger said:

@kekoajohn: Even though they are the same thing when broken down, they are still two different power sets and the question is which would you rather have meaning exclusively just one. No "theoretically you could unlock one through the other" Fox Magneto isn't doing what MCU Thor can do and vice versa.

OT: Magnetism is much more practical, there would be next to no use for shooting lightning in everyday life.

😆😭😭😅😂😂😆😭😭😆😂😅 I don't know how you can say "they are the same thing" but at the same time say "they are two different power sets." That's like saying Hydrokinesis and Aquakinesis are two distinct power-sets. Or that fire bending and fire manipulation are the same but are totally different from one another lol.

You my friend, are sadly mistaken and terribly uneducated about physics 'cause what you just said is completely nonsense. Regardless of how Magneto is portrayed differently from Thor, PHYSICS IS STILL PHYSICS. And in physics, you cannot look at Electricity and Electromagnetism as two separate forces based on comic books; Electricity and it's polarity is what's used to create magnets. That's the reason why physicists say Electricity and 'Magnetism' are two sides of the same coin. Magnetism would not exist without Electricity, likewise, Electricity would not exist without Magnetism.

So you shouldn't listen to what comic book writers tell you. Another reason why you shouldn't listen to what they say is because these writers have no physics degree. The fact that they think Electricity and Electromagnetism are two different forces already show that they don't know jack about physics. But the writers that do would never make this mistake or say something ignorant as you did. So please educate yourself better.

#69 Posted by DeathandGrim (4827 posts) - - Show Bio

Just shutdown people's brains with electrokinesis

#72 Edited by Rajjar (1772 posts) - - Show Bio

Without context they are probably similar powers, but then you'd be like hey omni-electrokinesis = magnetokinesis

Especially since contextually, any power relating to magnetism has more refined control involved.

#73 Posted by Tyger (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn: I didn't read a single damn thing you wrote 😂😂 you talk too much queer

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#79 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (3987 posts) - - Show Bio

While they are the same thing, elecrokinesis would require you to be EXTREMELY good with your powers (and for you to know how to manipulate all types of electromagnetic fields in minute and specific ways) while magnetism would just be moving things that are metal. That's the difference between Magneto and Electro; one has ALWAYS used magnetism, the other can only do so when he has a level of mastery of his abilities.

#80 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12525 posts) - - Show Bio

Umm Magnetokinesis? That’s a thing?

#84 Posted by ourmanuel (11334 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of irl science, each of them gives acces to the other.

Changing magnetic fields can cause the movement of electrons.

And moving electrons generate their own magnetic field.

So not really much difference.

I’d love to see this sort of logic applied more to comics characters like magneto. Maybe give him the ability to also shock people by altering the magnetic fields around them(this can actually happen to you if you walk too fast close to an MRI machine and the current in your brain could knock you unconscious). Itd be a cool addition to his arsenal I guess.

OT: in terms of fiction, I’d probably choose magnetokinesis

#85 Posted by ourmanuel (11334 posts) - - Show Bio

Post 67-82 is just pure cancer

#86 Posted by SC (18136 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn: @tyger: Three day bans.

Not sure who started this flame war, but you both used language and insults you shouldn't be using. Consider this a strict warning, you both already have warnings, try and be more considerate and careful in the future about how you choose to address others.

Feel free to PM me questions or worries when you get back. Cheers!

#87 Posted by Helloman (29574 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither.

#88 Edited by SwagBender (87 posts) - - Show Bio

Electrokinesis

Electrokinesis is for people who know how to use it. Electrokinesis with an expert can counter magnetism.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#89 Posted by plotweapon16255 (7682 posts) - - Show Bio

Electrokinesis has way too many advantages!

#92 Edited by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespartanb345t said:

While they are the same thing, elecrokinesis would require you to be EXTREMELY good with your powers (and for you to know how to manipulate all types of electromagnetic fields in minute and specific ways) while magnetism would just be moving things that are metal. That's the difference between Magneto and Electro; one has ALWAYS used magnetism, the other can only do so when he has a level of mastery of his abilities.

Don't take this the wrong way but your science is off and so is your knowledge of Magneto. First of all, Electro and Magneto are technically not different from one another, regardless of how their powers are portrayed differently. I just gone over this.

Secondly, Magneto's power is to control Electromagnetic Energy, not metal. He can generate really strong electrical currents. With his power to control EM Energy, he's able to make electromagnetic fields, allowing him to move and control metal objects.

And Lastly, you're wrong, The fundamental cause of 'magnetism' or Electromagnetism to be correct - (which is not related to ferrokinesis) - is moving electrons - every atom produces electromagnetism. The reason feromagnets hold a charge is that (when placed in a strong-enough magnetic field) their atoms rearrange so all the magnetic fields are in the same direction.

#93 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10086 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn: I actually work with science and not some random guy who thinks their a genius, so I know what I’m talking about when I say this. Electromagnetism is a term that contains various terms such as “magnetism” and “electricity”. While electricity refers to the movement and transportation of electrons through a conductor, magnetism in of itsel refers to a phenomenon with a positive and negative field. While inherently linked, they differ in the sense that the two are different aspects of the same thing but are not the same. It’s like saying mass and energy mean the same thing because they are two aspects of one particular force. Magnetism are not the same as electrokinisis but are two terms under electromagnetism.

Please do your research before you talk down to people and make a fool of yourself.

#94 Edited by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

You're being patronizing about your ignorance. FYI, there is no such thing as magnetism. Because what appears to be a 'magnetic field' is really just a changing ‘Electric Field.' Once you've analyzed the situation using Special Relativity, it has exactly the effects we see experimentally. But YOU'RE just a random guy who thinks he's a genius. I know your pretentiousness is important to you but you shouldn't pretend to know something you don't and your IGNORANCE is evident in this sentence

@mister_surreal said:

@kekoajohn Magnetism are not the same as electrokinisis but are two terms under electromagnetism.

And water manipulation is not the same as Aquakinesis but it is H2O. That's how incoherent you sound. First of all, it's called Force; not term. And Secondly, Electrokinesis is the ability to psionically control electrical currents with your mind. If you have Electrokinetic abilities then you are able to create an ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD since they are fundamentally the SAME FORCE. For example, Storm has the power to direct electric fields and we know that a change in electric field produces a 'magnetic field' (if you wanna call it that) whose amplitudes are linked by E=cB.

Might I suggest you take your advice and please do YOUR research before you come at me with this foolishness so you don't make a fool of YOURSELF.

#95 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10086 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn: You’re the one who was laughing at people instead of politely explaining your stance. “Magnetism” exists within the world of comics genius and the term doesn’t inherently refer to being electromagnetism, that what I was referring to. They are inherently apart of the same thing but are two different aspects of it that are not the same thing. IN THE COMICS, they are kept separately. Within this context, you can control over one but not over the other. I’m aware that in the real world you can’t control one without the other. I see why so many people are annoyed by your behaviour, I’m not some random jerk who thinks that they are a genius, but you are. Wow, the internet full crass, hypocritical, try hard such as yourself. Under normal circumstances, I would be more polite but frankly you aren’t worth it.

#96 Edited by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: Like I said before you shouldn't listen to what comic book writers TELL YOU. They maybe comic books but the laws of physics remain the same across all frames of reference. And in physics you cannot look at 'magnetism' and electricity as two separate forces and say "they differ in the sense that the two are different aspects of the same thing but are not the same" that's nonsensical. I don't care what comic 'genus' tells you, it's the silliest thing I ever heard.

Please don't hmu with another silly explanation because it's hard for me to process so much ignorance all at once. YOU ARE NOT A SCIENTIST AND YOU DON'T HAVE A PHYSICS DEGREE. So stop PARADING AROUND as if you know anything about physics. Go actually take a freshman level E&M class and then come see me. Because I actually have a degree and I'm also an Electrical Engineer so I know what I'm talking about and YOU DON'T. And your ignorance is evident in your previous response

This is my last response to you. I'm not going to waist my time educating some physics wannabe who thinks he's a genius. Like I said, take your advice and please do YOUR research before you come at me with this foolishness so you don't make a fool of YOURSELF. You pretentious jerk. We're done

#97 Posted by Mister_Surreal (10086 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn: They irony is that last statement is hilarious. Pull that twig out of your eye before you tell me to pull a speck out of mine.

#98 Edited by Kekoajohn (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: Now you're being patronizing about your ignorance. Grow up

Avatar image for supermanforever
#99 Posted by Supermanforever (8055 posts) - - Show Bio

if you have electrokinesis, you likely will create magnetic fields easily lol

#100 Edited by Mister_Surreal (10086 posts) - - Show Bio

@kekoajohn:

1) I’m not being ignorant.

2) Ignorant =/= patronizing.