Which is more popular? Manga or Comics

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pfcoolio14

Which is more mainstream and more popular?

In America and across the world

mhanuroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mhanuroth

comics

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By 2chimcha3

I think the characters of comics are definitely more well known than manga ones but I think there might actually be more manga readers :/ Not sure to be honest but based on the people I know, that seems to be the case.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

I think comics are a bit more popular than manga, although there has been an increase in manga readers over the years.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Theres way more manga readers than comic book readers

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I would say there are way more manga readers than comic readers worldwide

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Comics..I think..

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Comic Book medium is without a doubt way more popular and mainstream than manga, but currently, even though I don't agree with there being more manga readers than comic book readers (it's not like I can say it for sure, it's just a superstition), there's definetly more anime viewers than comic book readers, hell, even more than comic book and manga readers put together.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangeman: Its not made-up stuff. Look at the sales figures of manga in japan. Theyre in millions. Now compare that to comic books in america, where 400k is an impressive number for an issue to sell

Also, it makes sense that manga sells more, otherwise we wouldnt be seeing so many new anime series all the time

INFINITE_DOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we are talking domestically its Comics but manga stomps and Anime in general curb stomps comics in popularity due to the easy access to Anime.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Im pretty sure more people know about comic book characters like batman,superman, spiderman etc as opposed to manga. manga has more readers though

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I'm curious, do Manga's ever get turned into Comic style format the way Comics get turned into Manga's? Like there is a Manga Batman correct? But are there Comic Goku's or Death Frenzy's?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Manga might outsell comics, but when it comes to character popularity

Superman or Batman>>> Any manga character, including Goku (who's arguably the most popular in history)

INFINITE_DOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By INFINITE_DOOM

@norrinboltagonprime21

I think that has a lot to do with comic heroes being around for decades and being ongoing stories, oppose to manga that tend to have a limited life span :)

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StrangeMan

@stormbox said:

@strangeman: Its not made-up stuff. Look at the sales figures of manga in japan. Theyre in millions. Now compare that to comic books in america, where 400k is an impressive number for an issue to sell

Also, it makes sense that manga sells more, otherwise we wouldnt be seeing so many new anime series all the time

I know it's not made up, Manga and Anime actually comprises an esential part in Japanese economy, it's that important, but I was reffering to a more global scale where, despite Manga and Anime becoming really mainstream in the last decade, I don't know if there's more manga readers than comic book readers, being that comic books are more inserted in pop culture. I see your point though, but who knows really, you're probably right given the unhealthy amount of weeabooism going around on the Internet nowadays.

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly don't know any comic readers besides a couple of my friends and my bandmates, I know a lot of manga readers though.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Assuming you're referring to american comics...

How can anyone say comics when manga sells in millions while the top selling comics just reach 100-200k.

BB

mamooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mamooo
@gambler said:

I'm curious, do Manga's ever get turned into Comic style format the way Comics get turned into Manga's? Like there is a Manga Batman correct? But are there Comic Goku's or Death Frenzy's?

To be honest, I don't know. Shounen manga usually is easy to define, they're more.. manga-like (for the lack of better wording). But when it comes to Seinen manga, which is more mature, for older readers, it's normal to see a different art style, usually more realistic, and IMO, sometimes closer to comics. Ie: Rainbow, Green Blood, (both from the same artist).

@topic: IMO, comics. Specially some of their characters, like someone above said.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Comics

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strangeman said:

@stormbox said:

I know it's not made up, Manga and Anime actually comprises an esential part in Japanese economy, it's that important, but I was reffering to a more global scale where, despite Manga and Anime becoming really mainstream in the last decade, I don't know if there's more manga readers than comic book readers, being that comic books are more inserted in pop culture. I see your point though, but who knows really, you're probably right given the unhealthy amount of weeabooism going around on the Internet nowadays.

Yeah, thats what i meant. For some reason a lot of people are really obsessed with japanese culture and manga is obviously a big part of it

Plus, ive come across a lot more anime/manga conventions than comic book ones

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@infinite_doom: pretty much. superman and batman are near 80 years old giving them alot of time to get alot of followers

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mekboy

Manga is a lot more popular.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends very much on where you are looking. In general, comic characters are more well known, but mangas are far more accessible, increasing the popularity.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@pfcoolio14: Kind of a bad question to ask on a comic book website.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Manga.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@pfcoolio14: Kind of a bad question to ask on a comic book website.

well, no. Though there are biased people around, there are still those who answer without any partiality..

Sylvain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

manga is way more popular in term of sells.But if you talk about cultural impactComics wins it hands down in my opinion.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Alak

In America and around the world, comic book heroes/villains are more well-known to the public masses. They're just simply more iconic due to the transition to cartoon shows, novels, live-action movies, toys etc. Companies like DC and Marvel are really good at marketing their A-list characters, which is easy since most of those A-listers have been around since the mid-1900s. If you travel around the world, you will seldom find a person who has never heard of Superman.

However, in terms of readership, I think manga has comics beat by a longshot. Japan doesn't really go all out with its manga media. Sometimes they might make an anime show or OVA, but they haven't reached the same level of recognition as American comics have. Pokemon and Dragonball are the only two franchises that I can think of that are household names.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#29  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

@alak said:

Pokemon and Dragonball are the only two franchises that I can think of that are household names.

Don't forget Yu Gi Oh and Naruto.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pikahyper:

They're really popular among anime fans, but I wouldn't consider those to be household names. Ask any random person on the street if they've heard of Pokemon. Then, ask a random person if they've heard of Yu-Gi-Oh!. A lot of things that we take for granted on Comicvine are actually really obscure to the general populace. For example, everyone I know is familiar with the name Bruce Wayne. Most of the people I know have no clue who Dick Grayson is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics. Even as a manga fan I hope it stays that way to.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manga by a LARGE margin.

If you say comics, then...... you need to do do some research.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#33 pikahyper  Moderator

@alak: maybe it is regional then cause Yu-Gi-Oh! is just as well know or more well know on the west coast as is Naruto with the under 30 crowd.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JulieDC

Manga. In fact, I've never met a single person that was a fan of comics before and after having gotten into comics myself. Sure, I know plenty of people who love superhero movies and cartoons but I have seen dozens of manga readers but never met someone else who reads comics.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Emperorb777

Manga

Far more people read manga and manga makes more money. Superman and Batman are more popular than any manga character.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of just guessing, but I think manga is more popular. It's more widely accepted in it's own culture and it's very common for there to be animated adaptions of just about every manga out there.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Eternal19

I know a bunch of people who read manga.

blackwolf0925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always wonder what made more money here in America Manga or Comics. I am primarily a Manga reader myself with occasional Anime here and there. But I always wonder how the Market is doing between these types of mediums. How much does one series like Naruto compare to say a series like Batman. I always check weekly sales of manga to see what is topping the charts, but I never see how much it is being sold. Anyone else curious about it as I am.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By blkson

Manga outsells comics by the thousands. I think it's largely because

• mangas are easier to follow .. No 10-15 books starring a prominent character. Wolverine is in this book, but he's also in that book. He'll also be in a new future title next month etc, etc. That alone alienates a lot of people because, they do not know where to start.
  • more stories are adapted into animated TV series.
  • more animated films.
  • Comics have a large synonymous image with one genre and that's superhero fiction. Superhero fiction out shines every other genre and people who do not read comics are usually clueless that other genres even exist.
  • mangas are more diverse in media marketed demographics: There are more adult, teen, children specific books. Where as with comics, sex and gore has become the commodity.
  • manga also has more media content. Video games and music (soundtracks) are marketed toward fans to make them interested in reading the manga versions.
  • Manga fans (from personal observation/interaction) aren't nearly as much of a**holes like comics fans are. Yea manga fanboy rage is crazy but the vast majority of manga fans are far more nicer people.
  • Manga communities do not alienate people nearly as much as comic communities do. Manga's often times have LGBT leads.
  • Lastly manga is foreign. People of all creeds love to exotic-fy things that are foreign (cars, clothes, books, games, etc.)
ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ximpossibrux

Well manga has anime which bolsters up it's popularity, like FMA, DBZ, and OP.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just about everyone I have met at least knows/watched/read 1 manga or 1 anime... I can't however say this for comics

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Manga, it has a bigger reach

Not many peeps know comics more than superheroes

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

Manga, it has a bigger reach

Not many peeps know comics more than superheroes

And it's a damn shame. If only individual publishers and Vertigo where more popular.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically what everyone above has noted. Comic characters are a bigger part of pop culture and overall consciousness - specifically superheroes. Thanks to the advent of America as the world's premier superpower and all.

But manga is the more popular of the two. They're not just selling well in Japan - they're doing well all over the world, from Asia to North America.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nerx

@veshark: Specially in the south east

@kingofash: Comics have that superhero stigma, although they do have their own their version of hentai

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics originally. Then manga did a leap in terms of popularity during the mid to late 90s, gaining popularity alongside the anime boom. Comic books are making a comeback due to superhero movies. Right now, comic books are more popular but anime fans seem to be louder.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx

Yeah especially. For every one comic fan here, you get like twenty manga readers.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Nerx

@veshark: we the minority, once got the look for buying a comic in a kino

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@veshark: we the minority, once got the look for buying a comic in a kino

Been there before, bro. But hey, long as they keep stocking their shelves, I'm not complaining.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: same here or get it off a site