Which invalid criticism regarding the DCEU annoys you more? "Batman doesn't kill" or "Superman doesn't kill"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which invalid criticism regarding the DCEU annoys you more? "Batman doesn't kill" or "Superman doesn't kill"? (35 votes)

The premise is wrong in the first place because both criticisms are valid 54%
Both invalid criticisms are just as annoying 23%
DCEU's "Batman doesn't kill" statement is more annoying 14%
DCEU's "Superman doesn't kill" statement is more annoying 9%

There's some long-enduring criticisms of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman which I thought is just weird or outright unfair. Namely, its the criticism that the two superheroes broke their comics source's "no-kill" rule.

I am okay or even agreeable with the criticism that DCEU films are "too dark", "takes itself too seriously", "have problems with some scenes", but the superhero killing scenes seem to dominate the majority of the criticism which is mind-boggling.

I still don't understand what is wrong with a different interpretation of a superhero character? The DCEU is not saying that "this is the definitive Superman/Batman". If you people have yet to notice, the problems that the critics had with DCEU phase 1 films excluding Wonder Woman are NOT the fact that Batman/Superman killed, but other aspects.

What do you think? Which popular statement regarding the superhero killing annoys you more as well?

• 
GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The criticism that "Superman could have found another way" can be simply relegated to story/plot problems. Besides the fact that other live action versions of Superman had broke their "no-kill" rule, the INTENTION for the writing in that particular Man of Steel scene was that "Superman had no choice but to kill". I understand if you think there's a logical issue with Superman killing in that scene, but saying that it "goes against his character" is biased criticism IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c02036b5ddaf
deactivated-5c02036b5ddaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These films are the definitive live action verisons of these characters, it's not absurd for people to want them to resemble the comic versions.

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Gaurdian  Online

BOTH OH MY GOD.Kal threw a powerless Zod to his death in Superman 2. Comic Superman killed the Phantom Zone crew with Kryptonite. Routh Superman let Lex and co. die in the vacuum of space when he tossed that island. There's no valid complaint for MOS Kal killing Zod to save innocent people.

And literally every live action version of Batman save Adam West has killed. Even Arkham Batman's killed, but they only give Batfleck $!it for God knows why.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Aros001

While I do understand the posts people make about both, especially in regards to thinking the premise could have been handled better, I suppose the Superman complaint bugs me more.

The only two we ever saw DCEU Superman directly kill were Zod and Doomsday. Even taking out the fact that both were characters he also killed in the comics (and this wasn't like Batman using a gun back in the golden age. Zod and Doomsday I'm pretty sure were after Crisis on Infinite Earths), Superman showed clear remorse for killing Zod, which is why I'm more lenient about it. It was something he felt he had to do but it's not something he's proud of himself for doing or ever wants to do again. That's what separates the comic and DCEU version of Superman from the Injustice and Justice Lords versions. Killing is not an easy thing for him to do because Superman is not a psychopath.

@the_gaurdian said:

BOTH OH MY GOD.Kal threw a powerless Zod to his death in Superman 2. Comic Superman killed the Phantom Zone crew with Kryptonite. Routh Superman let Lex and co. die in the vacuum of space when he tossed that island. There's no valid complaint for MOS Kal killing Zod to save innocent people.

And literally every live action version of Batman save Adam West has killed. Even Arkham Batman's killed, but they only give Batfleck $!it for God knows why.

Two reasons:

1. BvS came after the Nolan movies, which made a big deal over why Batman doesn't kill, so that's still fresh in people's minds.

2. BvS itself focused on how violent and uncaring Batman was over the injuries and deaths he was causing, as that was a big pat of his character arc through BvS and JL. With all the Superman and Batman movies you listed, when they killed, it was hardly ever focused on, and thus the audience doesn't focus on it either. Same applies whenever an MCU character kills. Even Spider-Man, a character VERY against killing in the comics, is directly responsible for Ebony Maw's death in Infinity War. But no one pays that much mind because the movie doesn't. They're making jokes through the scene and then they move on to the rest of the movie. BvS didn't do that with Batman. It put him clearly in the wrong for what he was doing for the audience to see.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Superman statement.

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Gaurdian  Online

@aros001 said:

While I do understand the posts people make about both, especially in regards to thinking the premise could have been handled better, I suppose the Superman complaint bugs me more.

The only two we ever saw DCEU Superman directly kill were Zod and Doomsday. Even taking out the fact that both were characters he also killed in the comics (and this wasn't like Batman using a gun back in the silver age. Zod and Doomsday I'm pretty sure were after Crisis on Infinite Earths), Superman showed clear remorse for killing Zod, which is why I'm more lenient about it. It was something he felt he had to do but it's not something he's proud of himself for doing or ever wants to do again. That's what separates the comic and DCEU version of Superman from the Injustice and Justice Lords versions. Killing is not an easy thing for him to do because Superman is not a psychopath.

@the_gaurdian said:

Two reasons:

1. BvS came after the Nolan movies, which made a big deal over why Batman doesn't kill, so that's still fresh in people's minds.

It's still nonsensical because there's two clear cut scenes between BB and TDKR where we see him intentionally blow up Nanda Parbat and kill Talias driver. Three if you count Two Face.

2. BvS itself focused on how violent and uncaring Batman was over the injuries and deaths he was causing, as that was a big pat of his character arc through BvS and JL. With all the Superman and Batman movies you listed, when they killed, it was hardly ever focused on, and thus the audience doesn't focus on it either.

Keaton's Batman lit a dude on fire with his afterburner, shoved dynamite down a man's pants, ripped a SWORD from a circus gangster's throat and threw some dude down a bell tower. And that's just one of the Batmen. It was focused but folks act like it never happened when talking about Afflecks Batman.

Same applies whenever an MCU character kills. Even Spider-Man, a character VERY against killing in the comics, is directly responsible for Ebony Maw's death in Infinity War. But no one pays that much mind because the movie doesn't. They're making jokes through the scene and then they move on to the rest of the movie. BvS didn't do that with Batman. It put him clearly in the wrong for what he was doing for the audience to see.

I actually just now noticed this and chuckled a bit. I get that there was alot going on but 616 Pete would probably be appalled at how they handled the situation. I wonder why nobody focuses on that as intensely.....

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman killing Zod was actually valid.

It would've been killing Zod or letting hundreds of other people die in the collateral damage of their fight.

Still not sure why people give Superman shit over this. It's not as if he enjoyed doing that.

Batman however was a complete madman who very clearly killed without hesitation which is against the character completely.

In the comics Batman doesn't want to kill because he is afraid if he goes down there he won't be able to come back and JL did too did a very bad job of showing that given Batman made jokes and smiled a shit ton.

Batman killing like a freak is much more wrong than what Superman did.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

There are more than one way to approach the criticism, some support it, some invalidate it.

• A) It's not traits the characters are known to have, even wholly oppose most often than not, so it comes as a shock when they do it. This is where the critique is valid, because when you say Batman or Superman you immediately have an idea what they are about, one of them being the 'no killing' rule, so you would be fair to say them killing is 'out of character' at least.
  • B) What invalidates the critique however starts at the title screen 'Based on characters by DC Comics', key words there is 'based on', meaning you shouldn't expect a 100% accurate take in movies anyways. The other thing that neuters the criticism is the context, which seems to be ignored. Superman killing Zod for instance, it was going to end like that regardless, Zod was not going to stop and Superman had no other way of neutralizing him. With Batman the context is '20 years in Gotham fighting crime' and 'criminals are like weeds', it's nice to think you can throw the worst at Batman and he wont change, but he is human and this human has seen the worst and he's just gotten tired of it, so the gloves are off and he can live with a few casualties if he's sufficiently detached from it.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding misunderstood masterpieces, remember how geniuses proposed "definitive solutions" like Superman covering Zod's eyes, when the movie explicitly show HV burns even Kryptonians, or how he could've just BFRed him as it would somehow resolve the situation?

Good times.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman killing, obviously. The complaints are just idiotic.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course they killed. It's the term "murder" I have a problem with. If that's the case then anyone who has ever acted in self defense is also murderer. Screw that.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@heatforce: Right because vigilantism is self defense right? Not like there is a huge difference between those two things, right?

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Heatforce

@stahlflamme: All heroes are vigilantes unless sanctioned by a government but either way, if a citizen attempts to stop a rape in progress are they a vigilante or hero in your book?

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah that DCEU butthurt never goes away.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@aros001 said:

The only two we ever saw DCEU Superman directly kill were Zod and Doomsday. Even taking out the fact that both were characters he also killed in the comics (and this wasn't like Batman using a gun back in the golden age. Zod and Doomsday I'm pretty sure were after Crisis on Infinite Earths), Superman showed clear remorse for killing Zod, which is why I'm more lenient about it. It was something he felt he had to do but it's not something he's proud of himself for doing or ever wants to do again. That's what separates the comic and DCEU version of Superman from the Injustice and Justice Lords versions. Killing is not an easy thing for him to do because Superman is not a psychopath.

@the_gaurdian said:

Two reasons:

It's still nonsensical because there's two clear cut scenes between BB and TDKR where we see him intentionally blow up Nanda Parbat and kill Talias driver. Three if you count Two Face.

2. BvS itself focused on how violent and uncaring Batman was over the injuries and deaths he was causing, as that was a big pat of his character arc through BvS and JL. With all the Superman and Batman movies you listed, when they killed, it was hardly ever focused on, and thus the audience doesn't focus on it either.

Keaton's Batman lit a dude on fire with his afterburner, shoved dynamite down a man's pants, ripped a SWORD from a circus gangster's throat and threw some dude down a bell tower. And that's just one of the Batmen. It was focused but folks act like it never happened when talking about Afflecks Batman.

Same applies whenever an MCU character kills. Even Spider-Man, a character VERY against killing in the comics, is directly responsible for Ebony Maw's death in Infinity War. But no one pays that much mind because the movie doesn't. They're making jokes through the scene and then they move on to the rest of the movie. BvS didn't do that with Batman. It put him clearly in the wrong for what he was doing for the audience to see.

I actually just now noticed this and chuckled a bit. I get that there was alot going on but 616 Pete would probably be appalled at how they handled the situation. I wonder why nobody focuses on that as intensely.....

I'm agreeing with you. I find it weird that some audiences get angry over the character killing only when the movie itself focuses on why them killing is bad or something they regret, while having no problem with the heroes killing as long as it's done very casually. Obviously it doesn't apply exactly the same to every superhero (Captain America is a soldier, Thor and Wonder Woman are ancient warriors, it makes sense for them to be more willing to kill if need be).

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_gaurdian: eh, from what I remember, people HAVE given shit to previous batmen killing. Was a major complaint of Keaton’s Batman from what I remember reading. And there’s people that mock the “I don’t have to save you” bit from Begins along with Bruce blowing up the LoS monastery

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike_fowler: and to the people who have a problem with Keaton's batman killing, you should remind them that without his batman there would be no Bruce Timm Batman. It was the success of the first Burton film that spawned the animated series.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: they’re a hero. But if they stop the rape by shooting the man in the head, unless he has a deadly weapon and you have probable cause he would have used it, it’s murder.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havenless: the probable cause would be the rape in progress. Shooting a rapist in the head to stop a rape in progress is not murder, but I guess it depends which state you live in.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heatforce: that, doesn’t really do anything. They didn’t say the film was bad or wasn’t impactful, it was just a criticism they had of those movies

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Havenless

@heatforce: When you bring a deadly weapon because you had planned to murder the rapist, whether he raped or not, and caught him before he was in the act like Batman did in BvS, that’s murder. No crime being committed; but you suspect he might and you walk up and shoot in him the head, how do you justify that in court?

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havenless: who did batman murder in BvS? Every instance where someone died was self defense. Dude people conceal or open carry all the time. Are you not from the US? If not then I understand the confusion.

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Gaurdian  Online

@the_gaurdian: eh, from what I remember, people HAVE given shit to previous batmen killing. Was a major complaint of Keaton’s Batman from what I remember reading.

And there’s people that mock the “I don’t have to save you” bit from Begins along with Bruce blowing up the LoS monastery

I've seen people online call Batfleck the Punisher before. A personal review on here went as far as saying he's not even Batman, just a "psychotic killer" or some nonsense like that. Not to mention there's loads of more complains about Batfleck in 2 years than the entire decades Bale Batman and Keaton have been around

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had A LOT of complaints about Superman portrayal in MoS. Him killing Zod was not one of them.

Batman killing right and left was a terrible miscalculation from Warner.

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Gaurdian  Online

@aros001: Oh. I probably could've worded it better but I was agreeing with you too lol

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rogueshadow  Moderator

Enough with these threads. They are bait and the topics have been discussed extensively for years in the same threads time and time again, this contributes nothing. Stop making them.