Posted by HereForOneShot (174 posts) 1 month, 4 days ago

Poll: Which had the bigger shock of a twist ending? Batman v Superman (2016) or Empire Strikes Back (1980)? (33 votes)

Superman's death in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) 6%
Darth Vader's revelation to Luke Skywalker of his parentage in Empire Strikes Back (1980) 94%

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) was intended to be the DCEU's version of Empire Strikes Back (1980), and indeed, the two films had many similarities.

Of the many similarities, one being mentioned in this poll was that of the twist ending in the two films:

In Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016), Superman said goodbye to Lois and sacrificed his life to kill Doomsday, which was a shocking moment for the general audience since this was the main character in the movie.

In Empire Strikes Back (1980), Luke Skywalker was overwhelmed by Darth Vader and forced back. The shocking moment came when Darth Vader revealed that he is the father of Luke Skywalker.

Between these two twist endings, which was the bigger shock in your opinion? Discuss.

#1 Posted by Pipxeroth (9367 posts) - - Show Bio

Stop asking stupid bait questions that everybody already knows the answer to, thanks

#2 Posted by Emperorb777 (11377 posts) - - Show Bio

So one of the greatest suprises in film history vs Death of Superman that everyone should have saw coming? This is a stupid question.

#3 Posted by HereForOneShot (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Stop asking stupid bait questions that everybody already knows the answer to, thanks

So one of the greatest suprises in film history vs Death of Superman that everyone should have saw coming? This is a stupid question.

How is Superman's death not a shock ending?!

Superman is a main character in that movie who I expected to be appearing in future films. We know he will return back to life someway, somehow... But there was NOTHING to indicate that he will die besides the reliance on comic book mythos of Superman and Doomsday's mutual kill.

#4 Edited by incursion2 (2246 posts) - - Show Bio

Mismatch

#5 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (5218 posts) - - Show Bio

Lock this. You’re talking about one of the most iconic moments in cinema and maybe even pop culture history.

#6 Posted by Richubs (5736 posts) - - Show Bio

@hereforoneshot:

Because shock only comes when you care about the character.

#7 Posted by CocaColaMan (538 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol

#8 Posted by Lan_Fan (15941 posts) - - Show Bio
@richubs said:

@hereforoneshot:

Because shock only comes when you care about the character.

I care about Superman. Can't say the same about Luke and Anakin since I've never read nor watched anything Star Wars related.

I wasn't shocked by Superman's death, but I would've been shocked if Superman hadn't been resurrected.

#9 Edited by Richubs (5736 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan:

Obviously you cannot care about the characters you haven't seen or read anything about.

This question is only fair to people who have seen both obviously.

I wasn't very shocked at the Darth/Luke scene because it was so famous I already knew about it but its pretty clear how big of a twist that was. When I was watching the movies I kind of forgot for a second that Luke was Darth's son.

I didn't really like Superman in MoS. He wasn't exactly a beacon of hope. A good guy yeah. But not exactly a beacon of hope. His emotional range wasn't there and it was clear that wasn't Cavill's fault but the character himself. He wasn't very charming either in terms of personality (am admirable feat given how charming Cavill is)

In BvS they tried to make him interesting again but again, he wasn't a beacon of hope. He saved people and made them happy but his mannerisms and personality was not of a person that'd inspire hope. Overall I didn't care for the character a lot like a lot of people and therefore death of Superman was not very shocking. Even if I did care about the character the scene wasn't made in a way it'd be a twist. So it cannot be shocking. (The scene was beautifully made tho)

#10 Edited by phisigmatau (2067 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a spite thread to make ppl hate supes more
100/100 troll job

#11 Posted by MonsterStomp (36971 posts) - - Show Bio

BvS because I don't like the original star wars trilogy.

#12 Posted by Supermanthor (21356 posts) - - Show Bio

Starwars

#13 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12882 posts) - - Show Bio

Spite

#14 Edited by Stefano (2562 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Wars BY FAR!

Doomsday’s thing is that he killed Superman. So, Superman’s death was, at the very least, being hinted.

The “ I’m your father” reveal was an actual twist.

#15 Posted by King-Ragnar (4419 posts) - - Show Bio

An obvious bait thread is an obvious bait thread.

#16 Posted by PenguinDust (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

Doomsday was revealed in the BvS trailer and the original Death of Superman comic which introduced Doomsday was a major media event covered by mainstream news and entertainment channels. I don’t know how it would be a surprise. On the other hand, Ben Kenobi said that Darth Vader killed Luke’s father in Episode IV, and talked about Vader as if he was a completely separate individual...which was “true from a certain point of view”. In an age before social media and trailers which give away major plot points, it was easier to keep such secrets.