Which cinematic universe would you rather see continue: Dark Universe (Universal Monsters) or John Wick universe?

Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) 3 months, 29 days ago

Poll: Which cinematic universe would you rather see continue: Dark Universe (Universal Monsters) or John Wick universe? (34 votes)

Dark Universe 29%
John Wick universe 71%

The Dark Universe is in a tentative state after the poor performance of The Mummy, Universal originally wanted The Mummy to be the first of many movies featuring horror icons like Frankenstein, Dracula, the Wolfman, the Invisible Man, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde etc. as a fan of classic horror, I do still hope they could continue to make a good universe featuring these icons.

The director of John Wick has stated that he wants to build a mythology, John Wick's story is supposed to be one of many set in the same universe, there have been talks about another movie titled Ballerina and a tv show about the Continental hotel is in the works.

As much as I love Universal Monsters, I'm going with the JW universe or as it should be titled, the Assassins universe; the worldbuilding for the latter has been pretty good so far, the John Wick films have told simple stories but at the same time established an atmosphere and a system that opens doors to other stories.

#1 Posted by Mrnoital (8480 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd be down for seeing John take down all the different heads of the table in different movies, just keep that action up

I never even bothered to see the Mummy

you're asking if we want to see more of a successful trilogy or more from one bad movie

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#2 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (9394 posts) - - Show Bio

Both but I eventually want to see Dracula Fight The Wolfman

#3 Posted by kgb725 (19996 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: Are you forgetting Dracula untold ?

If Universal can make some quality films I'd personally love to see what could be done with them

#4 Edited by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: The universe can't focus only on John, there needs to be other movies about other characters too. I want the franchise to he a little like the MCU or Sin City, having many characters with their own movies.

There's already a story set up for Halle Berry's character.

#5 Posted by Stormdriven (18283 posts) - - Show Bio

John Wick, because it isn’t garbage

#6 Posted by FaradaySloth (12186 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither, Monsters is garbage while John Wick would be better in his standalone films/trilogy

#7 Posted by ReaperTheGrim (1321 posts) - - Show Bio

Monster universe by far, John wicks movies are a higher quality but the universe itself barely interests me compared to a universe of horror icons.

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
#8 Posted by WolverineBatmanFTW (2179 posts) - - Show Bio

JW but whilst I love him I think I've had enough of John himself. Give us new characters, take it in a direction other than just straight up bloody action.

#9 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverinebatmanftw: I think John should finally go home and have his peace after 4, then the franchise should continue telling stories about other characters in the universe with John in a supporting role perhaps.

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
#10 Edited by WolverineBatmanFTW (2179 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostodoofus2:

Yeah but honestly I think 3 is enough. I don't wanna get tired of the series and start disliking it.

Then do other stuff in the same universe

#11 Posted by jb681131 (3440 posts) - - Show Bio

John Wick, because it isn’t garbage

!? well it's not hight quality at all !

It always amazes me how bad movie become so popular (John Wick, Avatar, MCU, Inception, ...) and hight quality movies (the ones that actually win prizes for quality writting) never get as popular.

#12 Posted by mrmonster (17096 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, one universe that's tried getting off the ground twice, once with a "meh" movie and another time with an awful movie, or a franchise that's redefined action movies. Tough call.

#13 Edited by Mrnoital (8480 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostodoofus2 said:

@mrnoital: The universe can't focus only on John, there needs to be other movies about other characters too. I want the franchise to he a little like the MCU or Sin City, having many characters with their own movies.

There's already a story set up for Halle Berry's character.

I'm perfectly fine with them continuing Johns story as long as possible, in his time, the 3 movies have taken the time span of maybe a couple weeks total, maybe a small break between 1 and 2, and 3 started the same day 2 ended, and it's pretty clear 4 will take place the second 3 ended

@kgb725 said:

@mrnoital: Are you forgetting Dracula untold ?

If Universal can make some quality films I'd personally love to see what could be done with them

yes I am forgetting it, that movie hasn't crossed my mind in years and I don't care to get more movies of that quality

#14 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: Update: The Invisible Man is set to be released next year, I guess they're still going for a proper universe.

#15 Posted by MonsterStomp (36987 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the point in showing different characters in John Wick's universe? Considering John will make it all irrelevant when he assassinates the High Table.

#16 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: I think 4 will take place a few months or maybe a year after 3. They need a lot of time to recover and prepare to strike the High Table.

#17 Posted by Eto (5367 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the point in showing different characters in John Wick's universe? Considering John will make it all irrelevant when he assassinates the High Table.

#18 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: The High Table can't be all there is in the John Wick universe. There are plenty of crime organisations.

#19 Posted by mrmonster (17096 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostodoofus2: When I first saw the headline, I wasn't excited at all. But then I read that Blumhouse is making this, that genuinely gives me hope.

#20 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: Yeah, Blumhouse makes good movies. Blumhouse won't have the budget of Universal but then again a big budget isn't needed to make good Universal Monsters movies.

#21 Posted by Mrnoital (8480 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: I think 4 will take place a few months or maybe a year after 3. They need a lot of time to recover and prepare to strike the High Table.

I have my doubts about that, I think they might be underestimating how large the homeless gang really is

plus my guess is that they aren't going to try to take out the whole high table at once but focus on key people

so far all 3 John Wick movies take place in the span of maybe 3 or 4 weeks, I don't expect 4 to take any more time with it, I'm thinking the director is going for an amazing binge watch cause they all line up pretty damn well so far

#22 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrnoital: Yeah, John Wick films feel more like sequential seasons of a TV show.

#23 Posted by MonsterStomp (36987 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: The High Table can't be all there is in the John Wick universe. There are plenty of crime organisations.

What? First sentence didn't make sense, bro.

#24 Posted by KingOfWakanda (3380 posts) - - Show Bio

Give me a Wick verse any day. I'd love to see it expanded upon.

Dark Universe done right would be cool, but they have not done it justice so far.

#25 Posted by mrmonster (17096 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see why people are so hesitant about a John Wick cinematic universe. Even if the spinoffs have nothing to do with John Wick's story, I'd love to see a completely new character in a movie with the same action style.

#26 Posted by Marvelx13 (359 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardiandevil83: Why do you want to see such a basic mismatch? Vampires and werewolves is such a old played out thing (im glad it died with Twilight) and based on everything I've seen the vampires are 10× stronger but job to the hot shirtless werewolf girls go crazy over.

#27 Posted by TonyMartial (10318 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither. Keep wick standalone and I dont care about the mummy.

#28 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: Same, the world constructed by the films opens doors to many stories. I can see the universe being like the Sin City universe.

#29 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: There should still be plenty of stories to explore even after the High Table are defeated.

#30 Posted by FangDaNerd (1718 posts) - - Show Bio

While John Wick Universe would probably have better movies I would choose the monster universe since it seems more interesting.

#31 Posted by MonsterStomp (36987 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: There should still be plenty of stories to explore even after the High Table are defeated.

I mean, not really. If the High Table are taken out, the whole organization would fall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf823e3012e8
#32 Posted by deactivated-5cf823e3012e8 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

John Wick.