Where do I start?

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By razorzxz

Yeah so I have been interested in comics for awhile, but haven't started to take them seriously. I don't really know where to start - I'm not aware if people read them digitally or where they purchase them from.

I'm also a new user at Comic-Vine also. Could I please have some insight on where to start reading, it would be highly appreciated. :)

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

You can get comic books at your local comic book store. Here is a website to find out what comic book stores are near you:

http://comicshoplocator.com/

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kidchipotle

DC just rebooted their whole franchise in september so new readers could have a fresh new jumping in point. There's only 6 issues out in each book, so you don't have a lot to catch up on. I'd suggest starting there. I'm very new to Marvel so I can't give any tips on where to jump in on that boat, I just picked up the newest issues of whatever I was interested in and hoped for the best. If you need anymore info on DC's "The New 52" just ask anyone here or search The New 52 in the search bar. Hope that helps :)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TDK_1997  Online

@ArturoCalaKayVee said:

DC just rebooted their whole franchise in september so new readers could have a fresh new jumping in point. There's only 6 issues out in each book, so you don't have a lot to catch up on. I'd suggest starting there. I'm very new to Marvel so I can't give any tips on where to jump in on that boat, I just picked up the newest issues of whatever I was interested in and hoped for the best. If you need anymore info on DC's "The New 52" just ask anyone here or search The New 52 in the search bar. Hope that helps :)

Yes.You should definitely start with DC New 52 because it is just for new readers and it doesn't have much issues.Other thing you should pick up if you are a fan of Wolverine(because this is what your avatar is showing) you should pick up the new issues of the new Wolverine volume.You can start with #300 and continue.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

What sort of characters do you like? What kind of movies do you like? There's a comic book for everyone, but its finding the right genre for you.

You could always try looking for cheap graphic novels on eBay or Amazon. Pick something you just like the look of, pick it up cheap, you've got a whole story in one book, and if you like it then you have a good starting point... if you don't like it, you wont have spent much on it.

Actually, you can find some in libraries too. That's even cheaper ;)

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By razorzxz

That's all very useful thanks a lot, but RoboShark just had a conversation with me and showed me some places to start off. However he did not mention anything about the re installation of DC comics, I'll make sure to check into that. Thanks again.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Funrush

Yeah, DC just restarted back in September. I highly recommend the Justice League, since it has all the most popular main DC heroes

Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Tigerstriper

@razorzxz:

@xerox_kitty said:

What sort of characters do you like? What kind of movies do you like? There's a comic book for everyone, but its finding the right genre for you.

Actually, you can find some in libraries too. That's even cheaper ;)

Xerox_kitty had some good advice, that I'd like to add to. If you're a big fan of a movie or tv show, do a little digging, you might be surprised that one of your faves has been made into a comic.

If you want to read some classic comics check out Marvel's Essential line, they're older comics reprinted in black & white, inexpensive, and about 500 pages. DC has a smilar line called Showcase Presents.

Libraries can be a great resource as well. If your local library doesn't have a book that you want, ask them. Many libraries will be happy to order something for you, or possibly borrow it from another library.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Onemoreposter

If I were you I'd start with TPBs (a Trade Paper Back is a collection of comics that completes a story arch and forms a graphic novel) of team books like the JLA, JSA, Teen Titans, Outsiders (those are all from DC), X-Men and various X-books, Avengers, Young Avengers (all from Marvel) and so on. This will give you full storylines to read and introduce you to a wide variety of characters. This way you can quickly see which characters you like and maybe want to follow while getting acquainted with the larger universe around them. Don't limit yourself just to Marvel and DC either. Make sure check out titles from Image, IDW, BOOM, Dark Horse, Dynamite and so on. There are tons of publishers and stories and characters for every kind of reader. Good luck. Welcome to the club.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Funrush said:

Yeah, DC just restarted back in September. I highly recommend the Justice League, since it has all the most popular main DC heroes