When was (Darth) Maul in his prime?

DirtyLuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

As the title suggests, when was (Darth) Maul in his prime? With prime I mean his combative prime, when he was at his peak in skill? When were his force abilities the strongest and when was his saber technique most skilled and powerful? If and how does his mental state during either period affect his combative prowess? Maybe some of you are interested in laying out a reasoning of why Maul is at his strongest.

Was it Darth Maul during Episode I: The Phantom Menace, during either Season 4, 5 or 7 of The Clone Wars, during the Son of Dathomir comics or perhaps during Season 2 or 3 of Rebels? Perhaps some of you even argue that his prime was sometime else, pre-TPM, during the 2017 Maul comics or during Solo: A Star Wars Story.

This thread discusses the Canon version of the character.

I know this is probably going to spark a rather large debate, which has been held before under several other threads but I just wanted to provide a place where you guys can engage into a proper discussion. I am interested to hear what you guys have to say!

Avatar image for deactivated-60ee0713dd622
deactivated-60ee0713dd622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

His prime was supposed to be in TMP, but he was most impressive and TCW, so I'll go with that.

DarthAdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Force: Rebels

Sabers: TCW/SOD

Overall: TCW/SOD probably.

GangOrca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go with TCW/SOD overall but I think TPM was his best at sabers.

ViperSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Probably SoD.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killbilly  Moderator

SoD.

FloLikeYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOD followed by TPM

FloLikeYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven’t seen one yet but don’t trust anyone who claims rebels Maul to be the best ...

PanTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PanTau

Generally: SoD ~ TCW >~ TPM > Rebels > pre-TPM

Force: TCW S7 but I guess he would also be able to replicate those feats in earlier TCW or SoD

Sabers: SoD

Overall: SoD

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is SOD Prime? Why not TCW S7? Or Rebels?

Avatar image for deactivated-612156a4d7eca
deactivated-612156a4d7eca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TPM Maul honestly impressed me the most, after that probably SoD.

Rebels Maul is barely above Ahsoka tier, but given her fight with Vader I'd say he's still pretty good.

TPM ~ SoD >> Rebels I'd say.

DarthAdi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SoD>Rebels>TPM>S4 Chicken legs Maul

Not sure about TCW S7

alextheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spider Maul<<<S4 chicken legs Maul<S5 chicken legs Maul<=>TPM Maul<regular legs TCW Maul<Solo Maul (probably)

Rebels Maul is hard to place because he was stranded on Malicore for a while during his first appearance, and in his battle with Kenobi he was lost in a desert for a while and the fight ended too quickly. Force wise he should be better than ever, but physically he seemed worse than before. So overall his prime should be before being stranded on Malicore, so like around Solo or a bit after. I would say the prime moment we saw him in was when he was amped against Sidious after Savage's death and using two lightsabers.

Avatar image for deactivated-60584707e8b9b
deactivated-60584707e8b9b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

son of dathomir maul>clone wars maul

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a hypothetical timeline

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebels Maul win

No Caption Provided

Bayman007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His best feats were during TCW, but i would say somewhere between then and Rebels actually. I'm not of the opinion that he declined that much, if at all, in anycase. TPM Maul is his least powerful version

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SoD

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-606f3a23660a8
deactivated-606f3a23660a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably SoD Maul. If we had more knowledge of it, I might say Maul somewhere between Fallen Order and Solo, but as it stands, we do not have enough info of him during that time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

TCW/SoD

Darth_Malgus66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tbh i'm going to have to say SoD/TCW.

Darth_Malgus66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sheevsmacker said:

Rebels Maul win

No Caption Provided

where is it shown Rebels maul is more powerful? TCW maul can go up against Sidious, whereas this maul loses to kenobi.

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SheevSmacker

@sheevsmacker said:
@sheevsmacker said:

Rebels Maul win

No Caption Provided

where is it shown Rebels maul is more powerful? TCW maul can go up against Sidious, whereas this maul loses to kenobi.

That is feat for Kenobii mate. Rebel Maul are prime Maul and he are more powerful than ever. Also TCW Maul shitting himself fight the sheev.

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TCW S5/SOD. It's stated in Darth Maul: Shadow Consipiracy.

non canon

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_tenebrous said:

The blogs on StarWars.com are not official canon:

No Caption Provided

So no, this is not official canon:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Rebels Maul is indeed inferior to his CW incarnation, physically and in terms of combative prowess:

No Caption Provided

The likes of Dooku & Yoda increased with age because they continued to hone their abillties, not even to maintain their current level, but to expand their knowledge. Maul simply neglected his skills, failing to practice sufficiently.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow Conspiracy claims that Maul's exile strengthened him, and that Talzin restored his powers. Both of these concepts are expressly rejected by Filoni during interviews on Maul's return, rendering the C-canon novel irrelevent. As for canon...

It cannot be stressed enough that in canon, The Phantom Menace is Darth Maul's prime. Full stop.

Outside of comic vine, among the wider fanbase, this concept is much more widely acknowledged. Even amongst the current Lucasfilm Storygroup, such a viewpoint persists:

No Caption Provided

Because really, it's obvious. Maul was chopped in half, then spent 12 years in a state of insanity. He has only about a year during the Clone Wars to try and recover.

But most importantly -- it's officially confirmed by those who handled bringing him back. TPM Maul vs TCW Maul was compared to OT Boba vs adolescent, teenage Boba in TCW, with supervising director Dave Filoni agreeing:

IGN: With Maul, I felt it was a bit like you approached Boba Fett. Maul got rebuilt, he got back his sanity and focus -- but he still wasn't quite Phantom Menace Maul, flipping all over the place -- and he didn't have a double-sided lightsaber. Was that something else where you thought, "He can't just instantly be that badass again"?

Filoni: Definitely. In my opinion, he did really well for being out of the business for about ten years. To come back in and take down Obi-Wan, leaping around on velociraptor legs, he did pretty good. It's an interesting dilemma having him on these weird legs, because he can't instantly fight in the style that you remember Maul fighting in. So Sam really had to bring it through voice and through expression of animation in the face. But there's some twists coming up for Maul, that's for sure. He's far more cunning and well-trained in how to be a Sith than people think. He's not just all about being an enforcer. He got a good education from his master, and we're going to put that into effect next season for sure.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2012/03/21/star-wars-the-clone-wars-looking-back-at-season-4

Filoni additonally notes the disadvantage of having been inactive for over a decade, then, in an attempt to be positive, mentions that they're going to emphasize Maul's cunning and intelligence, which will make things better for him. Extending this state of inferiority to Mandalore Maul.

In TCW, they wanted to emphasize Maul's mental ability over his combat ability.

And no, Mother Talzin did not restore Maul's power. This scene right here was specifically added to demonstrate that Maul isn't as strong in the Force as he was in TPM, as pointed out by Sam Witwer, and affirmed by Filoni:

No Caption Provided

Witwer: By the way this moment where Darth Maul reaches for his lightsaber and actually has to concentrate to make it happen...

Taylor: Yeah uh, I actually, I was thinking about that too. That's...

Witwer: The greatest little touch, it's like, he's not quite the same and he's not quite as connected as he once was.

(Filoni & Lucas nodding in agreement)

Witwer: Funny enough, this was something that someone said to me years ago, and they said 'if they ever brought Darth Maul back there should be a scene where he tries to use the Force, and it doesn't work the first he tries'.

No Caption Provided

"Return of Darth Maul" Featurette

And no, Maul's 12 year exile did not strengthen him. It's been confirmed by Lucasfilm Storygroup member Matt Martin that said period of insanity weakened him:

No Caption Provided

An obvious enough conclusion.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TPM is Maul's strongest base incarnation(by far). However, even TPM Maul is blown out of the water by TCW Maul when enraged over Savage's death. Said circumstantially incensed version of Maul was nearly equal to Sidious.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TCW/SOD Maul are the same and it's obviously his peak.

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TCW/SOD Maul are the same and it's obviously his peak.

No Caption Provided

SOD Maul die to Rebel

CatMan5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SoD. But Solo could also be his prime because:

He was running Crimson Dawn and from what we know keeping in shape, so he could’ve grown more skilled since TCW

CatMan5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was never in his prime. Lost so much potential it's hard to pinpoint where he should be.

Darthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I would say TCW S5 or SoD Maul would be in the prime

AllOfTheJsisnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sod>season 5>tpm>>season 7 >> season 4 >>>>>>>rebels

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely S5 or SoD. Maybe Rebels, but I generally see his depiction there as having declined. It could also be around Solo too.