When did you know your favorite character was your favorite?

• 69 results
darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1 darthjhawk  Moderator

Black Panther:

When I soloed the Atlantis level in Marvel Ultimate Alliance with him. I felt like such a badass and it made me love BP. Been my favorite to this day with Ultron and Ghost Rider in close seconds.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hawkeye

Earth's Mightiest Heroes which also made me want to start reading superhero comics. Before that I had only been dabbling in the Walking Dead.

No Caption Provided

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stormdriven

I grew up watching Spider-Man TAS, and I was given a Spider-Man blanket for my fifth birthday. The Tobey Maguire Spider-Man was also the first superhero movie I was able to comprehend, because I was seven at the time lmao, so Spider-Man always has been and will always be my favorite.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an interesting thread.

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darthjhawk  Moderator

@Feartheliving: EMH was such a great series. I'd put it on par with JL and JLU. Hawkeye especially was a beast in it.

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darthjhawk  Moderator

@stormdriven: Spidey is amazing, so relatable. I think that without the Tobey movies, we wouldn't be where we are today with modern superhero movies. Plus the 90's Spider-Man was part of the greatest era of cartoons.

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darthjhawk  Moderator
Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up watching the Spider-Man tv show from the 90s. When they first introduced venom I just knew he was my favourite. Was so cool.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could never exactly place it, it just kinda happened. I had a set of characters that I loved in no particular order, and over timely the slowly kind of slotted themselves into their respective places. So like I'd have my 2 favourite characters and 8 in no order, then a few months later it would be my 3 favourite with 7 in no order, etc.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

When I first saw the Flash defeat that Luthor/Brainiac fusion in that JLU season 2 finale, it was the first time I realized how epic the guy was.

Hemehero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America when i first saw the Avengers and further solidified when i saw Winter Soldier, tied with Superman when i saw Man of Steel

Nightwing3605

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I grew up with Dick Grayson and especially loved when he first became nightwing in the new teen titans. He was badass and a great leader. Nice guy.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America. The scene in TFA when he stood up to the bully outside the theater, knowing he stood no chance. I was always a Cap fan, but that scene showed me how Cap's courage, integrity, and unwavering morals are his true powers. To me, it represented a trait that a lot of superheroes today have lost because they try to be cool and edgy. That they are figures we should aspire to be.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I grew up a horror movie addict and found Raven. She's Rosemary's Baby, Damien Thorn, Regan/Pazuzu and Carrie White all in one - it was like she was made for me. Plus over her history I've consistently found her to be complex, endearing and sympathetic while still having personality flaws too.

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darthjhawk  Moderator

Any other takers?

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thor when I saw him destroying the Frost Giants in the first Thor film I was just like damn he's a beast been my favourite since then.

Then my second favourite is Black Panther which Earth's Mightiest Heroes put me on to where he was just a badass from his first appearance, loved him since he appeared on the show.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't say there was an exact moment, but I do know that seeing Peter Parker was like me played a huge part in it. The ending of Spider-Man 2 could've done it as far as a moment goes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Batman.

I grew up watching Batman TAS, (watched it all x2 as a child and x3 as an adult).

My entire room was themed after Batman.

From my 5th birthday till my 12th, every gift i got was a Batman Action Figure or Lego related Batman thing.

I knew Batman was my guy since the first episode of TAS aired.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is a cool thread

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By destinyman75

So there I was on that fateful warm sunny day out to the flea market like every Saturday. Nestled against the mountains in that small town there isn't much for a five year old to do during summer. The women folk as usual where looking at all the clothes. Picking Though boxes like a bunch of hens. Since I never wore shoes until my first day of kindergarten, and I remember well walking over that gravel, and the feel of the smooth between my toes. My little brother always following me around found a box full of toys. Beside him I began curiously at the box beside him. I found a large Godzilla and new It was mine the details so spot on. Then I uncovered a large toy plane and cast it aside. Then I found what I thought was a coloring book, that turned out to be a comic. I'd never seen one at that point. On the cover was a guy with a hammer and blond hair fighting a large monster that looked like something Godzilla would fight. I opened it read some of it. The pictures pulled me in, and I wanted to know more. I found several others and wound up taking them all along with my 2 foot tall Godzilla toy. From that day forward I was opened up to a whole new world. Of monsters and warriors the greatest being The Mighty Thor......

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gotoucanario

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

That and Batman The Animated Series + Batman Beyond.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ChildoftheAtom

@Feartheliving: yes Hawkeye was amazing in that show! They really did him justice. Idk if you noticed He saved the team of super powered avengers more than anyone else

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darthjhawk  Moderator

Bump, I wanna read some more stories.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AbstractRaze

My most favorite character overall is Karl Ruprecht Kroenen, the Hellboy Comics wasn't that attractive for me, but when I saw him in the Hellboy movie, I was like, if you understand, one of the most passionate characters ever, decency and dedication by all means.

No Caption Provided

My top favorite character in DC is Doomsday, my top favorite character in Marvel is Deadpool and in Anime overall is Pandora's Actor from Overlord, who has some similarities with Karl Ruprecht Kroenen.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sabretooth from the first time I saw him on Xmen TAS. I wish they would make a film from Mary Shelley Overdrive: Sabretooth.

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My most favorite character overall is Karl Ruprecht Kroenen, the Hellboy Comics wasn't that attractive for me, but when I saw him in the Hellboy movie, I was like, if you understand.

No Caption Provided

Damn, forgot how cool he was lol.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was at this exact moment.

No Caption Provided
DEMOHARDT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DEMOHARDT

Deadpool has been my favorite since the Cable and Deadpool run. It's funny how it all really began. Honestly, I didn't have much of a favorite character. If I did prior, it was probably Venom. So, I used to go on some site called Gaia. Used to walk on towns, and there was some cosplay area in that game. And one of the people was dressed as Deadpool. See, I had no idea who the hell that was supposed to be. So, after a month of seeing this dude, my parents took me to the comic book store. Haven't been there in years. Used to only read Sonic comics.

So, I was looking around at all the different stuff and when I spotted the character, I picked him up. As a younger teen, he wasn't the most relatable but I thought he was hilarious. Turns out as I kept growing up, I grew that kinda hide any depression with humor. I was already told I talk way too much by people but it was actually treated like a redeemable quality by most. Then going to an alternate school with a bunch of dickheads who fought all the time and didn't learn much, I just kinda grew with that character. From how he viewed himself, the try to be hero stories, the outright constant sarcasm and humor. I just loved and still do love the characters. That, and the fighting ability he has.

Not the teleporter but one of my favorite pages in comics is when he's fighting Taskmaster and Taskmaster can't beat him because Deadpool has no real fighting style, more like a crazy blend of styles.

Sadly, ever since his popularity went up they turned him into the most annoying and obnoxious pos in the comics. Course, good writers who get the character take him over for certain stories every once in awhile. He's still my all time favorite character when he's written as the character he should be and not a one dimensional meme. Fun fact: Deadpool doesn't actually like chimichangas. He just enjoys saying the word.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought of one.

When I was old enough to understand the sacrifice Peter made at the end of Spider-Man. That's one of the most poignant movie endings ever, really under appreciated.

heavyone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

For me it was picking up a Marvel book called: Quasar. I read the origin story and at the end of the comic there was a brief science lesson. I was over the moon! Still one of my favorite characters and one of my all-time favorite comic books.

Avatar image for greatkirbysghost
GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite comic book character is a guilty pleasure I won't mention, but within a few seconds of reading the first book I read with the character appearing in it.

Really, though, I think I might mean a different thing here than what you're asking. I don't think there's a single comic book character I'd read about no matter who was writing or drawing the character, which seems to be the standard definition of "favorite character" around here.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought of one.

When I was old enough to understand the sacrifice Peter made at the end of Spider-Man. That's one of the most poignant movie endings ever, really under appreciated.

Spider-mans your favorite character?

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#34  Edited By stormshadow_x

Dick jokes

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, back in the day my favorite character used to be Spider-Man. Why? Well, same reason as everyone else, really. He wasn't the smartest, but he was still very smart. He wasn't the most powerful, but he had very cool powers. He was the "average guy" and never backed out from doing the right thing. My first comic books were Ultimate Spider-Man 1&2, which was the only series I could find in my country, so essentially Spider-Man was the only character I could read about. Either way, he was both reletable and uplifting. Next to Spidey there was Batman, which I also loved for the typical reasons. The JL cartoon, B:TAS, the toys, the films, Batman was everywhere. He was my No.2 so to speak.

But after years of mishandling (I did eventually read the 616 stuff when I grew older), he's not at the number 1 spot. After Marvel Ultimate Alliance I was exposed to many more characters, and I started changing favorites very often. For long periods of time, my faves were Deadpool, Moon Knight, the Silver Surfer, Green Lantern (Hal), Deathstroke, Constantine, Ghost Rider, Question, Superman, Black Panther, Doctor Strange and others. They came and went, mostly because that's when I started using the internet to read the original comics and I got to know more of them. By the time of Civil War (the comic) I was into the T-Bolts, and when the Dark Avengers came around I started becoming interested in anti-heroes villains. For a very long while since then, Doctor Doom's been in my Top 3 characters list.

Aaaaanyway, the one character that I really "made" my favorite and the one this post is about is Iron Man. I was introduced to him during a trip, where I found a small "collection"-book. It had the FA-story, one issue from the Busiek run, an old story where Fury & Stark teamed up to fight a HYDRA-Monster in the ocean, Demon in a Bottle, & a story where Tony is trapped in a satelite. Reading all those while on trip made the experience memorable, and tied that book with happy & nostalgic memories. After a while I came across an Extremis Trade, the Iron Man movie hit, and I got really into it. I started buying Iron Man figurines, the games on the consoles, even the crappy iphone games. From that point on I was hooked.

As for why that little booklet made such an impression to me, the simplest answer is like I said above, that coupled with a trip and me being young enough, cemented it in my brain alongside happy memories. But there was more it. Tony was different from the other characters I had encountered so far, because he didn't have any special powers of any kind, nor was he a super-genius at every single thing. He was a guy who had a knack for mechanics and electronics, and had managed to both have a healthy company, and be a super-hero. Although I saw his darker side and failings in DiaB, he still managed to pick himself up. So in my eyes, he was the guy that, if you worked hard enough, you could in theory be.

Another thing that helped was that because of his mustache and hair, plus his mom's name being Maria, I thought he was an Italian/Greek-American, so I could relate to him more compared to the other characters who I knew for a fact were full-blooded Americans. When I continued reading Ultimate Spider-Man and came across the Ultimates due to his name being Antonio my theory was even more "cemented" in my mind. Granted, when I started reading the back issues I found out that this wasn't true, but I still have it as my own little "headcanon". I just pretend that while the Starks came from either Germany or England to America, his mom's family had Med ties. Nothing noteworthy, but a small misconception that kinda brought the character closer to me.

So, yeah. That's it for me I guess.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up watching the 90s Spider-Man and spectacular Spider-Man so I guess I always knew he was my favorite as a kid. He isn't my favorite anymore though.

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 darthjhawk  Moderator

@greatkirbysghost: Oh it doesn't have to be a comic book character. It could be anyone or anything.

Avatar image for greatkirbysghost
GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greatkirbysghost: Oh it doesn't have to be a comic book character. It could be anyone or anything.

Wow, I wouldn't know where to start there... I could take years just narrowing that down to a single name and I probably still wouldn't feel satisfied with it.

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 darthjhawk  Moderator
Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first comic book I ever read was the Essential X-men volume one which I read until I ripped it apart and I loved all of the new x-men.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up watching Spidey cartoons and playing Spidey video games and collecting Spidey Action Figures and comics, so he was my favourite for a long time.

Not anymore lol.

FOSTINOE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol.

THOR. i knew right after watching the HULK VS THOR animation, where the the Odinson's reply to Hulk wanting the hammer was,"nay...you shall have it's thunder!" that's when I knew

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Punisher. After I finished The Slavers arc.

I grew up watching the Spider-Man tv show from the 90s. When they first introduced venom I just knew he was my favourite. Was so cool.

Possibly the coolest opening music ever!

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Namor the Sub-Mariner

No Caption Provided

It' was the early 1990's.

I was reading a lot of X-Men at the time, and I stumbled upon a mint copy of this comic right here.

He was so different than the heroes in the X-Men comics I was reading.

Old school, more of a badass, I had to find more.

Gold & Silver age Sub-Mariner is the man!

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a toss up between Lobo and Sephiroth, and ultimately I have more appearances, memorabilia, and understanding of Lobo.

Shadow411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics- Galactus, Dr. Strange, and Hulk.

Anime- Hashirama Senju, Itachi uchiha, Might Gay, Kisuke uraha, Goku

Movies-MCU Cap

Overall gotta go with MCU Cap though as my #1 fav character.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By renamed040924

@jashro44 said:
@nickzambuto said:

I thought of one.

Spider-mans your favorite character?

We just talked about this in the PM a week ago. I said my top three characters are Spider-Man, Solid Snake, and Son Goku.

You don't see me debating with Spider-Man often because I think comic book characters are too hard to keep organized and consistent. But that doesn't mean he's not spectacular and sensational.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthjhawk: Mine is Batman and I forget when I started liking him. I think it was arkham asylum first dropped. So I'll just say that then. What's weird is that before even ever knowing batman existed, robin was my favorite character because of teen titans. I guess I always liked smart human heroes who can fight even at young ages. Then I came across batman(forgot how) and I was like "oh hell naww this dude is really the GOAT" and he became my favorite character

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-23: I always kinda liked her, but she became my absolute favorite after mvc3. I was really good with her

Spider-Man: After playing Spider-Man for ps1

Venom: Same as Spider-Man

Batman: Always kinda liked him because the animated series. But Arkham Asylum made him one of my favorites and also got me interested in dc

Hal Jordan: Reading Blackest Night

Atrocitus: Same as Hal

Thor: Honestly don't know. He just grew on me after a while

Cassandra Cain: Fairly recent addition to my favorites list. Rebirth is what got me interested in her

Jak and Daxter: The games I played the most as a kid

Ed, Edd n Eddy: Favorite cartoon as a kid

Numbuh 5: I liked KND a lot too

Gohan: Not really a big fan of anime, but he kicked ass in the cell saga

Darth Vader: The first movie I can remember watching is Empire Strikes Back