#1 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like his involvement is bigger than anyone thought.

If DCEU fans were tentative regarding Joss Whedon taking over post-production and “complicated” reshoots of Justice League from Zack Snyder, a new development may feed those worries. /Film is reporting that Whedon has scrapped Snyder’s original ending — which was supposed to end on an epic cliffhanger with Darkseid’s arrival — now tailoring reshoots to end the film “like a movie.”

The site elaborated that Snyder’s vision, which is based on Steppenwolf starting Apokolips’ invasion of Earth by collecting Mother Boxes, was slated to culminate with his master Darkseid arriving on Earth to set up the sequel. They reported that this ending “has been completely removed” and Whedon’s film “doesn’t end on a huge cliffhanger now.”

The report notes, “Steppenwolf is trying to get the Mother Boxes and he’s trying to get the Earth ready for the coming of Darkseid. And the original ending of the movie from what I understand was, he was kind of playing the Silver Surfer role, with Darkseid playing the Galactus role, and the ending of the movie was a cliffhanger and Justice League 2 was going to be Justice League vs. Darkseid… Darkseid arrives at Earth.”

Ben Affleck, who stars as Batman, recently called the process of using two directors “unorthodox” and said the end result was “an interesting product.” Actor Joe Morton (who plays Cyborg’s father) also admitted that the reshoots were done to lighten the movie’s tone. but now it could be that Whedon and his “significant reshoots” are re-configuring the plot as well, more than fans first assumed.

http://www.cbr.com/justice-league-whedon-original-ending-darkseid/

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
#2 Posted by TheLastDragonborn (1994 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by Gotoucanario (1971 posts) - - Show Bio

Deborah Snyder already said that they scrapped the Part 1 and 2 idea and cut the cliffhanger long ago even way before Zack stepped down. The recent "reports" saying that don't even have a source of any kind lol.

@thelastdragonborn said:

The ending has been changed for a very long time.

http://imgur.com/o9ft6pI

this.

#4 Posted by RBT (14178 posts) - - Show Bio

What they said. The cliffhanger was planned to be removed way before Whedon came into picture. Every popular site is trying so hard to find bad in anything concerning JL. If it didn't work with Wonder Woman, it won't work with JL.

#6 Edited by Spambot (8017 posts) - - Show Bio

It sounds to me that the cliffhanger was taken out once Zack decided or was told that he prob wouldn't be directing JL2 so they didn't want to hamstring the next director or writer with a preset beginning to the movie. That's based upon statements he and his wife were making on the set last year.

#7 Posted by Asgaard (3544 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe WB is going to try something similar to Disney/Rogue One, but they will have less time than Disney...

#8 Edited by TheLastDragonborn (1994 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly guys, Im preparing for the worst with JL

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#9 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (8039 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad that Steppenwolf role is expanding rather than him just being a build up for Darkseid.

#10 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (8039 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Dernman (23521 posts) - - Show Bio

They're all going to end up in a restaurant eating Shawarma

#12 Edited by TheLastDragonborn (1994 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: Mostly because it just production looks pretty messy. Honestly, this could be a good thing. If critics have the same mindset as me, JL can be decent and they will herald it as awesome

#13 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (8039 posts) - - Show Bio

@thelastdragonborn: I don't know these past days have given me more confidence in the film because the original cut has been seen from another directors perspective. On top of that they have Geoff Johns who has a great understanding of these characters and he co-wrote the reshoot scenes with Joss Whedon.

Hearing things like them giving Cyborg a more lighthearted approach in the new scenes, gives me more confidence in this. But that's just me though.

#14 Posted by lukehero (33242 posts) - - Show Bio

@thelastdragonborn: Thank you, lmao at The idea that Wheadon is making this drastic changes and decisions. This is a multimillion to maybe a billion dollar product. Some director that was hired in the fly isn't making these decisions, a bunch of high ranking WB executives are...

Come on people...

#15 Posted by Thesenate (450 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: they tried with the Batfleck leaving reports and now they've found a new target. #fakenews

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#16 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (10733 posts) - - Show Bio

Deborah Snyder already said that they scrapped the Part 1 and 2 idea and cut the cliffhanger long ago even way before Zack stepped down. The recent "reports" saying that don't even have a source of any kind lol.

@thelastdragonborn said:

The ending has been changed for a very long time.

http://imgur.com/o9ft6pI

this.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#17 Edited by Petey_is_Spidey (10733 posts) - - Show Bio

@thelastdragonborn said:

Same, but for me it's mainly Joss Whedon finishing off the movie. I could have accepted Snyder leaving if he was replaced with someone who's actually... well... good.

#18 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

@thelastdragonborn said:

Same, but for me it's mainly Joss Whedon finishing off the movie. I could have accepted Snyder leaving if he was replaced with someone who's actually... well... good.

Joss Whedon has produced arguably the most influential CBM ever which is praised by critics everywhere, he´s done one of the most popular and well liked TV shows, and his run on X-Men comic books is considered to be amongst the best in all the 50+ years of publications.

He is good to the vast majority of people in the entertainment industry, if you don´t like him that´s fine, you´re entitled to your opinion, but do not state your opinion as a fact.

#19 Posted by Blaredevil (281 posts) - - Show Bio

I still expect JL to have Snyder influence despite reshoots and various cuts.

#20 Posted by from_beyond (564 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:
@thelastdragonborn said:

Joss Whedon has produced arguably the most influential CBM ever which is praised by critics everywhere, he´s done one of the most popular and well liked TV shows, and his run on X-Men comic books is considered to be amongst the best in all the 50+ years of publications.

He is good to the vast majority of people in the entertainment industry, if you don´t like him that´s fine, you´re entitled to your opinion, but do not state your opinion as a fact.

This. I don't understand why people go on to make claims like Whedon is not good despite his movies/tv shows generally being so well liked and successful. I personally find him far superior to Snyder when it comes to story telling and writing. People who criticize Whedon remind me of people who claim Nolan is not good by pointing out that TDKR was not as good as TDK/BB or they personally don't like Nolan's movies.

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
#21 Edited by EmperorxHadesx420 (2193 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. I trust Synder with my life more than I trust Whedon with an over easy egg.

#22 Posted by Brainiactic (85 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I think I'm gonna sit JL out.

#23 Posted by Doom_Phd (1394 posts) - - Show Bio

In every one of these threads I'll ask the OP, are you being paid ? If not why are you so obsessed with wanting DCEU to fail ?

You realize Marvel probably will jump the shark after infinity war right ?

Avatar image for the_fallen_lord
#24 Posted by the_fallen_lord (1497 posts) - - Show Bio

@thelastdragonborn said:

Same here.

#25 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

@doom_phd said:

In every one of these threads I'll ask the OP, are you being paid ? If not why are you so obsessed with wanting DCEU to fail ?

You realize Marvel probably will jump the shark after infinity war right ?

What ?? I just posted an article I found on CBR.

I never attacked the DCEU, quite the contrary, to this day I don´t get the petty feuds between companies, I want the DCEU to succeed not only because I actually like it (MOS and WW are in my Top 15), but because it helps the CBM genre as a whole, anyone that wants either company to fail doesn´t realize that one´s failures also affects the other.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#26 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never had much confidence in this film. That might be because of the way I read comics though. I have very few JL/JLA/Avengers books in my near 6000 comic collection. I don't like team books where the heroes, or most of them, have their own books. I like hero teams where being on the team IS their deal. So, my favorite Marvel team has always been the FF, and my favorite DC team has always even the Legion of Super-Heroes. The X-Men were like that for awhile, but then Wolverine had to have his own books and the group dynamic changed too much for my liking.

Anyhow, I expect JL to be, at best, alright. I do, however think both Aquaman and The Batman are going to rock!

FWIW..I think @thor_parker82 is what I call "Marvel preferred"..not a fanboy. (Just as I am DC preferred.) He's not above calling out Marvel when he doesn't like what they do. (Most of these comments have been directed at some their recent comic-book decisions.) and while MoS and WW aren't his favorite films of all-time. He likes them. He didn't like BvS or SS, but not many other folks did either.

#27 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never had much confidence in this film. That might be because of the way I read comics though. I have very few JL/JLA/Avengers books in my near 6000 comic collection. I don't like team books where the heroes, or most of them, have their own books. I like hero teams where being on the team IS their deal. So, my favorite Marvel team has always been the FF, and my favorite DC team has always even the Legion of Super-Heroes. The X-Men were like that for awhile, but then Wolverine had to have his own books and the group dynamic changed too much for my liking.

Anyhow, I expect JL to be, at best, alright. I do, however think both Aquaman and The Batman are going to rock!

FWIW..I think @thor_parker82 is what I call "Marvel preferred"..not a fanboy. (Just as I am DC preferred.) He's not above calling out Marvel when he doesn't like what they do. (Most of these comments have been directed at some their recent comic-book decisions.) and while MoS and WW aren't his favorite films of all-time. He likes them. He didn't like BvS or SS, but not many other folks did either.

Thanks bro, I indeed very much prefer Marvel over DC, that doesn´t mean I don´t like DC or don´t consider some of their products being better than Marvel´s, like the current comic books for example, anyone that has paid even a little attenion to my posts will realize that I absolutely hate the direction Marvel Comics has made the last few years whereas DC Comics is absolutely stellar with most of their books.

#28 Posted by The-Wraith (459 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon can be a good director, but I do not like his writing.

#29 Posted by DeathandGrim (3237 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I read at screen rant the original cut of the film was "unwatchable" so it's nice that DC is taking a good hard look at their final product before putting it out the door. I liked the Avengers maybe Joss can bring some of that magic our way. I'm willing to give it a shot.

#30 Posted by Superhero24 (2687 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon was asked to lighten up the JL movie color and tone wise with some scenes. He is also changing the ending to make Wolf a more meaningful villain. People should be happy about this.

#31 Edited by righteous300 (3679 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by DeathandGrim (3237 posts) - - Show Bio

@righteous300: Rumors are rumors, but considering the DCEU track record of 1/4 I'm sure the rumor wasn't far off from the truth.

#33 Posted by MonsterStomp (34149 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: Joss did make the most influential CBM of all time, but that doesn't make Joss good. If Justice League come out instead, that'd also be considered influential. Joss was just in the right place at the right time, and Avengers was the beginning of an expansive universe.

#34 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: Joss did make the most influential CBM of all time, but that doesn't make Joss good. If Justice League come out instead, that'd also be considered influential. Joss was just in the right place at the right time, and Avengers was the beginning of an expansive universe.

Not at all, if Avengers was bad or if Justice League came out instead of Avengers but was also bad, then they wouldn´t have been influential, your way of looking at things is just very weird man. You have to give credit where its due, The Avengers is as influential because of how good it was in building up to that point and succesfully starting a shared universe, being helmed, commanded and the movie that joined it all written by Joss himself, you´re trying to minimize his achievment, even then, without Avengers, that doesn´t take away his universally liked TV show nor the critically acclaimed X-Men comic books he wrote.

#35 Posted by MonsterStomp (34149 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: I never said Avengers is bad. And I do give credit where due, but unfortunately Joss didn't make a cinematic masterpiece. He was tasked to bring all the superheroes together in a single film, and that's what he did. That's why the film is praised. Age of Ultron never got the same praise despite hitting most of the same notes.

Joss was in the right place at the right time.

#36 Posted by black_wreath (12643 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh no, I have a feeling Alfred's gonna get Whedon'd. :(

#37 Posted by Outside_85 (17986 posts) - - Show Bio

So bit of a non-news then; Whedon is not changing anything really since Snyder already changed it long before Whedon started appearing.

That said, I wouldn't say an ending on a cliffhanger meant to be picked up by JL2 couldn't work, but it is risky and sort of sets off a timer to quickly follow the movie up (within a year or so) so people can get the rest of the story. This worked for LotR, but only because all 3 movies were shot at the same time, and I dont know if they have done the same here or not... where it didn't really work however was Desolation of Smaug and Battle of Five Armies, which may have been the lesson learned: dont end the movie when things are getting really exciting.

#38 Posted by MAZAHS117 (9194 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing how I have no idea what the ending to JUSTICE LEAGUE was in the first place...ooooookay 😶

#39 Edited by Kingyang (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasnt Wonder Woman supposed to be a mess and an epic failure.😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏😏 And WB aint Disney they dont throw away talent for the fans they loyal. Zack Snyder aint going nowhere. Try harder

#40 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12682 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82: I never said Avengers is bad. And I do give credit where due, but unfortunately Joss didn't make a cinematic masterpiece. He was tasked to bring all the superheroes together in a single film, and that's what he did. That's why the film is praised. Age of Ultron never got the same praise despite hitting most of the same notes.

Joss was in the right place at the right time.

I highly disagree