What's the worst DCEU character portrayal so far?

• 108 results
BigBadPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What's the worst DCEU character portrayal so far? (152 votes)

Superman 8%
Batman 5%
Lex Luthor 70%
Doomsday 5%
Harley Quinn 3%
Other 11%
 • 
mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I haven't seen SS yet, but I guarantee everyone is going to say Luthor. I really loved this new Lex, I wish people would give something different a chance.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The worst is Jimmy Olsen...I mean he could have been the moral center to the DCEU, instead he gets unceremoniously gets headshotted.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By jumpstart55

This guy.....And its not even close his performance was atrocious.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The same guy that was supposed to portray him..

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much any character from Superman's mythos has been destroyed sadly.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Lex in a stomp

How?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Yeah because everyone is clamoring for more Jimmy Olsen stories...

quantum-savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: word is that , that wasn't the actual Jimmy Olsen tho

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Oh yeah I totally don't care about Superman's best friend. I want there to be 0 humanity in the movies. (sarcasm)

If you don't understand the importance of side characters like Perry White, Jimmy Olsen, Foggy Nelson, Alfred, etc...then you don't understand what makes stories special.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kroczilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definately jimmy olsen

BigBadPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: I think Jesse Eisenberg has potential to be great especially after The Social Network but unfortunately I just didn't like the way they made him act and I didn't like his plan.

BigBadPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Lol. It was Zack Snyder having fun with the character.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Not talking about Perry White. Talking about Jimmy Olsen and the films have plenty of humanity.

Ma Kent

Lex Luthor

Lois Lane

Perry White

And Supermans' best friend is interchangably Batman, Lois, or Jimmy. His role isn't unfillable.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigbadpunisher: His plan worked. He kills Superman. He's one of the most competent villains we've ever seen. He was what Luthor would be like in the real world; spoiled, entitled, Zuckerberg like...I loved it. I feel like people are sometimes way too beholden to the source material. I didn't like Batman v Superman overall because of the editing, but the Ult Cut was amazing to me.

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex

Avatar image for darkdetective27
darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Lex though you could pick a character and there is at least a 75% chance they have been horribly ruined.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mickey-mouse

@scouterv: It doesn't matter I can claim Ma Kent and other characters like even Lois Lane are "interchangeable" since there are other Superman stories where they aren't involved. "We don't need no stinking Lois...we've got Lana Lang." Jimmy Olsen is the worst DCEU character by far, because there was 0 attempt to actually integrate him into the DCEU. It is the laziest move anyone has done with a major DC character in the DCEU thus far. He's a major character in the comics, and gets plenty of time to shine in the DCAU, live action shows like Lois & Clark, and other mediums. Here, he's shot in the head like some red shirt extra on an episode of Star Trek.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Kal only has one Mother...on Earth. Ma Martha isn't interchangeable.

And I'm not saying it was a great move or interpretation. Jimmy just really isn't that important here.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rogueshadow  Moderator

@lukehero said:

I haven't seen SS yet, but I guarantee everyone is going to say Luthor. I really loved this new Lex, I wish people would give something different a chance.

I think this is pretty unfair, I'm sure there are those for whom this is the case, but there are also many of us who just think he was a crock of sh*t regardless of whether it's new or not. I don't see it as a new interesting take, but as a total bastardisation, it just does not feel like Lex in anything but name to me. I feel pretty disconnected to almost of the characters in the DCEU to be honest.

Avatar image for det_batsuperman
Det_BatSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didnt like Doomsdays portrayal but Lex luthor was so bad, I mean awful

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Actually Ma Kent's purpose is so that Superman can have someone to talk to. Other characters can serve that function, if a writer wanted to her role can be cut very short. Jimmy shouldn't be dissed. What's up with Synder/WB wanting to kill off Olsen anyway? He's no less important to the Superman mythos than any of these other side characters.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex, and Enchantress

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: How did people not give him a chance ? Lex was terrible and not threatening in the slightest. He should've played the Riddler

The_BladeWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman

A rich, xenophobic meathead post 9/11 paranoid born in a golden cradle white asshole

He is like a parody

BigBadPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BigBadPunisher

@kgb725: Lol. That's an insult to the Riddler. He would work as a Batman and Robin villian.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

How I felt after watching BvS Lex Luthor

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

I think this is pretty unfair, I'm sure there are those for whom this is the case, but there are also many of us who just think he was a crock of sh*t regardless of whether it's new or not. I don't see it as a new interesting take, but as a total bastardisation, it just does not feel like Lex in anything but name to me. I feel pretty disconnected to almost of the characters in the DCEU to be honest.

Wholly exaggeration there Batman! Lol

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

I also find it infuriating how people tend to say that because he was the funniest thing in a bleak movie, that made it okay. Like... seriously? Did I die and wake up in a universe where Lex is meant to be comedic relief?

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Enchantress was pretty terrible.

And I don't know, I... I actually liked Lex...

No Caption Provided

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Jgames

Superman

God damn it smile.

Batman

Favorite on screen Batman.

Lex Luthor

I actually like his character and his reaction to Superman, he felt menacing, and was fun to watch just how crazy he is, and the prison scene with Batman was great. That being said horrible portrayal from the comic, changed his name, and less people would hate him.

Doomsday

Ugly cgi Monster first form and the second form is okay. He did his job I guess.

Harley Quinn

Amazing, she was lot of fun, being psychotic, but at the same time and goes with the flow.

The_BladeWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Lex too and Im glad he makes people so butthurt

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rogueshadow  Moderator

@rogueshadow said:

@lukehero said:

I also find it infuriating how people tend to say that because he was the funniest thing in a bleak movie, that made it okay. Like... seriously? Did I die and wake up in a universe where Lex is meant to be comedic relief?

Agreed. The premise of Luthor somehow being a gag reel is, well, wrong. And even if you step outside yourself and look at it as a singular piece of film, I didn't even find him funny, it was just cringeworthy to me :/

@rogueshadow said:

@lukehero said:

That's how I feel, man, it felt like they just wrote 'hates Superman' on a piece of paper and did whatever the hell they wanted to with him from there, and what they did wasn't even interesting, it felt like they just went with whatever stuck. Daddy issues and schoolbook psychology. They don't understand or respect the characters at all and that's proving to be a core problem with the DCEU. Nobody's saying you can't take liberties and innovate, but the core tenets of a character's psychology have to be maintained or you're just playing on the brand.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stormdriven

This, in a big way.

And seriously, how can anyone possibly find Lex menacing? He was about as menacing as a barking chihuahua

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By buttersdaman000

@rogueshadow said:
@saintwildcard said:
@rogueshadow said:

@lukehero said:

Agreed. The premise of Luthor somehow being a gag reel is, well, wrong. And even if you step outside yourself and look at it as a singular piece of film, I didn't even find him funny, it was just cringeworthy to me :/

@buttersdaman000 said:
@rogueshadow said:

@lukehero said:

That's how I feel, man, it felt like they just wrote 'hates Superman' on a piece of paper and did whatever the hell they wanted to with him from there, and what they did wasn't even interesting, it felt like they just went with whatever stuck. Daddy issues and schoolbook psychology. They don't understand or respect the characters at all and that's proving to be a core problem with the DCEU. Nobody's saying you can't take liberties and innovate, but the core tenets of a character's psychology have to be maintained or you're just playing on the brand.

Eh, I feel like the character was extremely smart, driven, narcissistic, and petty. All that along with the fact that he hated Superman for infringing upon his own world order makes for a acceptably strong Luthor core IMO. The core would be perfect if he just wanted to be Superman, or was just showed jealousy in some way. I also liked the daddy issues since it juxtaposed nicely against Clark having such strong father figures. The religious stuff was hammy, but meh. His spastic tics are probably the one thing that killed the character for most people and his small, scrawny frame probably doesn't help much either. However, i'm not gonna let that detract from what I feel is a strong Lex at the core.

itsamaximoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By itsamaximoff

I guess Lex? He's not very similar to Lex in the comics, although I'm not really a DC expert. I actually liked the character on his own. I can't say if Doomsday is faithful or not, but he was absolutely atrocious in the movie. Batfleck and Robbie's Harley are great. Cavill's Superman is good, in my opinion. I think he pales in comparison to Reeves's performance but he's doing something different. But then again, I'm not really a huge Supes fan, or DC fan for that matter. 80% of the DC comics I've read are pretty much related to Batman.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SaintWildcard

@buttersdaman000 said:
@rogueshadow said:

@buttersdaman000 said:
@rogueshadow said:

@lukehero said:

Eh, I feel like the character was extremely smart, driven, narcissistic, and petty. All that along with the fact that he hated Superman for infringing upon his own world order makes for a acceptably strong Luthor core IMO. The core would be perfect if he just wanted to be Superman, or was just showed jealousy in some way. I also liked the daddy issues since it juxtaposed nicely against Clark having such strong father figures. The religious stuff was hammy, but meh. His spastic tics are probably the one thing that killed the character for most people and his small, scrawny frame probably doesn't help much either. However, i'm not gonna let that detract from what I feel is a strong Lex at the core.

If we're talking about juxti (however you spell that), the notion that he's not a self made man is what bummed me out the most. The fact that he didn't build the company by himself really hit me when I heard about it, but hoped that the movie and his performance would make me forget that. It's a huge aspect of his character in stories like Red Son and Luthor:MoS (and in that one story I read in Black Ring). While not uncommon for someone to be rich on something as simple as a website, he obviously built it through other means and became a mutli billionaire. It was rumored a while back, that him and Bruce would have a rivalry of some sort or that Lex hates Bruce, since he was born rich. Lex sees himself as the best of human accomplishment. And other thing is that, I think when you see how he got to where he is and how quickly, it makes him seem like a real threat to Superman, because he strives to achieve the impossible. He sets his mind on something and will always try to achieve it.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Lex. He actually made Superman and Batman seem less horrible.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MetalJimmor

While I did like Lex as a character within the context of the movie and feel he did have some very strong moments, especially near the end, I have to admit that he was a far cry from the actual Lex Luthor. For that I'd say he's the least like the source material of anyone else in the DCEU.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

I really loved this new Lex, I wish people would give something different a chance.

M'kay, congrats: You struck a nerve.

What is so difficult to understand about people wanting to go see some of their favorite characters onscreen? Not something 'different'. Not an Elseworlds interpretation. I go to a Superman movie, it's because I want to see Superman. I go to a Batman movie, I want to see Batman. I go to a Captain ****ing America movie, I want to see Captain ****ing America. This is not a hard concept to grasp. So, if I go to a movie, and I'm told a character named 'Lex Luthor' is running around (screw that bulls*** about him being Lex's son, they know what they did), I expect to see Lex. ****ing. Luthor.

Not a spastic Joker-lite shoving candy in people's mouths.

I'm open to some leeway being taken, a few liberties: These character's have been around a while. There have been quite a few different interpretations of 'em over the years. But I expect to see a character I can still recognize as the one I'm there to see. If their 'something different' is SO different it's unrecognizable? Then they shouldn't have wasted the ****ing name on them, or my ***ing time. And your excuse that 'this is what Luthor would be like in the real world', two things: 1) There's more than one kind of genius billionaire. People don't just transform into a stuttering Zuckerberg if they make bank with a certain IQ. A genius, ruthless businessman like comic Lex is perfectly realistic all on it's own. And 2) Superman. Wonder Woman. Aquaman. Flash. Y'know what they all have in common? They're not very ****ing realistic! But they work in their universe, 'cause that's the kind of universe it is! A character like Lex is nowhere near a stretch as an alien that's physically indistinguishable from a human and shoots laser beams out it's ****ing eyes!

So to your, and to anyone's statement of, 'I wish people would give something different a chance'... If I wanted to try something different? I'd go read a ****ing Elseworlds comic. Or y'know what? If I wanted something different from Lex Luthor, I'd go read ABOUT ANYTHING EXCEPT LEX LUTHOR. I don't go to these movies because I want to see 'something different'. I go to these movies because I want to see my favorite characters done justice on the bigscreen, duking it out in live-action.

... M'kay... Gonna take a deep breath... If you liked Jesse's Lex, more power to you. I'm not going to say you're wrong for liking it. But don't act like people hating being told they'll see one character and then getting something completely different is some great tragic fault on their part: Said it before already, I'll say it again, on behalf of all those people: If we are told we will see Lex Luthor? We want to see Lex Luthor.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

all of these have been good. its just a different version of these characters. most of the characters are old anyway you cant really expect them to not reinvent and change them

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This guy.....And its not even close his performance was atrocious.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The same guy that was supposed to portray him..

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith: Heh it's funny, Zack had a chance to win over all the people he lost with MoS. We have not had a proper Lex on the big screen, and he could have been the one to give it to us.... instead that's where he chose to get artsy. Look, I love what they did with Zod, cus him as a Kryptonian Patriot is way better than an other generic Megalomaniac. But the difference is, that they added layers to Zod, Lex didn't need more layers. Dude's been mastered for a few decades.... I guess it's not so much funny, as it is heartbreakingly tragic

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mickey-mouse

@jonsmith: You're opinion is your opinion. With that said, your very long post just confirmed that many people can't/won't give something different a chance.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See here is the thing, if you think something in a movie is stupid because in your mind it's flat out stupid, then I'm totally with you. But, that's not what's happening here. People are saying Lex was stupid because it was too much like joker/riddler and not like comicbook/cartoon/tv show Lex...That means you don't care whether it's "good" or not, you care more about how close it is to what you're familiar with.

LordOfTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LordOfTheLight

Luthor wasn't that bad. The CGI Monster though.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JonSmith

@lukehero said:

You're opinion is your opinion. With that said, your very long post just confirmed that many people can't/won't give something different a chance.

Luke. Dude. I'm going to try and put this is as simply as I possibly can.

There is a time and a place to do something different. Elseworlds comics. Other movies. Fine. Go nuts.

We get one shot at A-tier villains in these movies every ten years. If we're lucky. One interpretation. For ten years. So when we FINALLY get a movie with a widely liked villain? That is not the time to screw around and do your own special snowflake interpretation. That is the time to look at... what? Going on ninety years of history? To look at what defines the character. What their best stories are. What's the character's core, what's their soul. And figure out how to put that on the big screen. How to bring the best possible version of that character up onto the big screen, and use that opportunity to show everyone WHY that character is so awesome.

You show me an Elseworlds comic with Jesse's Lex? Fine. Whatever. But a movie, a live-action, big budget blockbuster movie, where we finally could get to see some of our favorite villains done justice on the big screen? And you tell me that with this one shot, this once in a generation opportunity, we're getting a Lex that's nothing like the comics? Screw. That.

So you want to tell me, "People should just be open to these changes, be willing to accept them." Why?! WHY, Luke? Why should we be willing to accept them completely twisting the character we wanted to see into something different? Why should we just accept that after all these years of waiting, and waiting, and finally getting our shot at seeing a great Luthor, they're going to do something completely different? TELL ME WHY WE SHOULD JUST BE OPEN TO THAT.

... Let me repeat: I'm not saying you're wrong for liking Jesse's Lex. If you do, fine. Great. More power to you. But are you really going to tell me- Is it really completely beyond your understanding WHY people would get upset that they wasted their opportunity to give us a great Lex on something so completely different? Can you really just not understand WHY with these characters that people have read about and liked for decades, WHY they want to see the character they've read about on the big screen? Is that really so wrong?

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith:

I am pretty sure it's against the site's rules to bandy about curse words like an angry sailor, even if you thinly disguise them behind an asterisk. You might want to edit your posts to avoid trouble.

Mexicutioner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: BvS' 'Lex' was flat out awful no matter who or what he was portraying.

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex Luthor is embarassing