• 61 results
Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16602 posts) 4 months, 12 days ago

Poll: What’s the most overrated movie in the MCU? (62 votes)

Iron Man 10%
Avengers 21%
Captain America The Winter Soldier 11%
Captain America Civil War 15%
Thor Ragnarok 31%
Avengers Infinity War 13%

BLACK PANTHER IS NOT LISTED BECAUSE MORE PEOPLE CALL IT OVERRATED IN COMPARISON TO THE PRAISE IT GETS.

#1 Edited by Mister_Surreal (11081 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers wasn’t that great looking back at it.

#2 Posted by xZone (10347 posts) - - Show Bio

They were all so good..

Write in Vote: Black Panther

X

#3 Posted by RukelnikovFTW (6142 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther

#4 Posted by ganon15 (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's Black Panther?

#5 Edited by jayc1324 (26431 posts) - - Show Bio

ITT: People who can't read asking where Black Panther is.

On topic, I would say Winter Soldier. People comparing is to TDK are crazy

#6 Posted by Mister_Surreal (11081 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: Ha ha ha! Your first statement was hilarious.

#7 Posted by MrClarky1 (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther is my vote but from this list, the one I felt was most overrated on first viewing was probably infinity war. I enjoy watching infinity war more than Avengers now but I thought the hype for infinity war made it hard for most people to criticise the movie properly leading to it being overrated at release.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a3e087afc2
#8 Posted by deactivated-5c4a3e087afc2 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't find any of these movies to be overrated.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#9 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers hasn't aged well.

#10 Posted by YOA_501 (685 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther or Ragnarok for me

#11 Posted by Mrnoital (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Winter soldier, people act like it's the greatest of all time, when it was pretty mediocre

Meh acting, the villain was nothing(he didn't start anything, come up with anything, or really do anything)

And if I recall, this was the movie where I started finding black widow annoying

#12 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27857 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno. Nothing on this list appears overrated. Maybe Ragnarok?

TWS was a masterpiece by all means.

#13 Posted by mrmonster (15603 posts) - - Show Bio

If The Incredible Hulk were an option, I'd have picked it. I believe it is the only truly bad movie to come out of Marvel Studios, I don't see what enjoyment anyone gets out of it.

Of those options, I'd say Thor: Ragnarok. It was a fine movie, but I don't get the hype.

#14 Edited by TheGrat1 (503 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers 1. Plot was formulaic and predictable, music was forgettable outside of the main theme and it's derivatives, cinematography was just decent outside of about 3 shots.

It is still excellent, though, a solid 9/10. People just refer to it as the ultimate comic book movie when, honestly, I have always liked The First Avenger more. Maybe because I was not as caught up in the hype/not as into comic books as I am now.

#15 Posted by Laurus (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of the ones listed, Winter Soldier.

But out of all of them? Black Panther by a mile.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#16 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17664 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness

Overrated:

• Iron Man: Sure, Robert Downey Jr's performance is great and all, but has anyone realised how little people talk about the rest of the movie? Why? Because most of it is forgettable and carried by RDJ's performance.
  • GoTG Vol. 2: I know the general consensus is that this movie was disappointing compared to the first film, but I'd go even further and say it's a truly bad film. The only bad MCU film besides The Incredible Hulk, IMO.

There are more underrated films than overrated in the MCU IMO.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
#17 Posted by Greysentinel365 (6312 posts) - - Show Bio

Both Guardians

#18 Posted by phisigmatau (1983 posts) - - Show Bio

CW and GOTG to me.

the plot holes were more like plot craters in CW. I couldnt get behind dude actually knowing, that only those 2 avengers were gonna be theree at that specific time. pfft

GOTG the whole peter dancing at the end was so weak. Why would Ronan care? if some insect was dancing before i acted on my new found infinity stone ability would i care ? no.

#19 Posted by jashro44 (53124 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd have to rewatch the original iron man. I haven't seen it in a long time and I wasn't really assessing stuff critically when I did see it. I don't think the avengers is overrated. I think people have grown to see its flaws. I always knew it would never age well but to be fair it did change cinema. I mean we have how many shared universes, trying to replicate the success of The Avengers? I think Avengers deserves its hype based on historical significance.

Black Panther is the most overrated critically but I think its fairly rated among fans. Its just seen as a good movie but not at the level of the dark knight. I'm not sure I would call any movie on the list overrated. I don't agree winter soldier is a masterpiece but it is one of the better CBM's and I don't agree its mediocre.

#20 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (4924 posts) - - Show Bio

To be real, none of those movies listed are overrated.

BP is overrated maybe.

#21 Posted by Richubs (4870 posts) - - Show Bio

Ragnarok from this list

#22 Posted by Reactor (4386 posts) - - Show Bio

GotG. For the life of me, I cannot understand what people love about that movie. I truly cannot. But as far as this list is concerned, gotta go with Thor Ragnarok, with the original Avengers coming in at a relatively distant second

#23 Posted by Emperorb777 (11289 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly Black Panther.

#24 Posted by BullPR (5967 posts) - - Show Bio

From this list: CW (never felt any tension in the movie) and Thor: Ragnarok (my least favorite Thor movie).

#25 Posted by loyngulpany (2784 posts) - - Show Bio

Overrated?

Zack Snyder

#26 Posted by CyberpunkCop (3406 posts) - - Show Bio

WS

#27 Edited by Ready_4_Madness (16602 posts) - - Show Bio

@dardan: but some are better than others so one of them has to be the most overrated

#28 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16602 posts) - - Show Bio

@bullpr: you didn’t feel tension when Stark found out Bucky killed his parents(

#29 Posted by BullPR (5967 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: end of the movie was great. Really.

But the airport scene was so friendly that I was already "out of the game".

Suspension of disbelief is what make watching these CBM a good experience. But once you lose it (in my case during the fake fight between Natasha and Clint), it's pretty hard to get back into the movie.

#30 Posted by kroczilla (1819 posts) - - Show Bio

Winter soldier. Sure the fight scenes were great but other than that, it was at best a solid CBM IMHO.

#31 Posted by Magian (151769 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Black Panther is not an option, Ragnarok.

#32 Posted by Nucleon (3477 posts) - - Show Bio

It isn't easy... All of the films you listed were among the best the MCU has made... Personally I'd rate IW after the others, but it doesn't mean it's over-rated by any means.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a3e087afc2
#33 Posted by deactivated-5c4a3e087afc2 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness: If I had to choose one of these, I'd probably go with Civil War.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#34 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17664 posts) - - Show Bio

@bullpr said:

@ready_4_madness: end of the movie was great. Really.

But the airport scene was so friendly that I was already "out of the game".

Suspension of disbelief is what make watching these CBM a good experience. But once you lose it (in my case during the fake fight between Natasha and Clint), it's pretty hard to get back into the movie.

Why does a movie need to be either light or dark? Why can't a movie have both light parts and dark parts? In my opinion, making a movie is like a smoothie, where all the parts: the action, the comedy, the seriousness and the lightness come together to create a thrilling, well-balanced experience, similair to ingredients in a recipe. If anything, going from the lightness of the airport scene to the dark nature of the third-act makes it all the more impactful and shocking.

#35 Edited by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor Ragnarok.

#36 Edited by deltahuman (4985 posts) - - Show Bio

Creating this thread and not including Black Panther is a blunder, whatever the reason might be.

Among the ones listed, I'll go for the Phase 1 movies, either Iron Man or The Avengers. Both of them have nothing significant or mindblowing other than nostalgic value. Ragnarok is definitely very overrated but it's more enjoyable than Iron Man or The Avengers

#37 Posted by Straight-Fire (27327 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't get why people say The Avengers didn't age well.

#38 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16602 posts) - - Show Bio

@deltahuman: because I don’t even see Black Panther get praised anymore, all I ever see is people call it overrated. Whereas I see nothing but praise for the movies listed.

#39 Edited by deltahuman (4985 posts) - - Show Bio

@ready_4_madness:

I absolutely understand. I didn't actually mean to quibble about your choices.

The other options are very worthy inclusions, nonetheless

#40 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

None of them, except MAYBE Thor Ragnarok.

#41 Edited by BullPR (5967 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: I understand your point and for theoretical aspect you may even be right. But these are CBM, and I know the medium very well (I mean the source material).

CW, and I understand this is my own, bias opinion, was not a funny storyline.

That's why I wrote that the airport scene took me out of the movie.

The magic of the moment was gone. The magic specific of a CBM I mean.

#42 Edited by Michaelbn (2407 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Black Panther, it was very good and enjoyable but not a masterpiece.
  2. Infinity War, everything was meh or bad, a rushed and unfinished mindless-action popcorn shit just to milk money and people are comparing it to TDK or Logan and saying it's better than both.
  3. Ragnarok, they all acting like there was no comedy before and honestly, it turned Thor into Joke though Loki, Grandmaster and music were amazing.
  4. GOTG, nuff said.
  5. Avengers, it didn't age well.

Honorable Mention: TWS, it's great and superb, best MCU film near perfect but people put it in the league of TDK, Logan and SM2.

#43 Posted by SuperVision123 (438 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Black Panther, it was very good and enjoyable but not a masterpiece.
  2. Infinity War, everything was meh or bad, a rushed and unfinished mindless-action popcorn shit just to milk money and people are comparing it to TDK or Logan and saying it's better than both.
  3. Ragnarok, they all acting like there was no comedy before and honestly, it turned Thor into Joke though Loki, Grandmaster and music were amazing.
  4. GOTG, nuff said.

#44 Posted by Tyger (461 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it amazing that haters can't keep Black Panther out of their mouths even when it's not an option LOOL

Anyways Winter Soldier. It's treated like a masterpiece when it's not.

#45 Posted by Tenguswordsman (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

Excluding BP, which was pretty great, but not a Masterpiece, then it is Thor Ragnarok. It was generally quite good, but not exactly at the Top of my Favourite Marvel Films in my book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c607e387a408
#46 Posted by deactivated-5c607e387a408 (312 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotg

#47 Posted by Rockette (5939 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers wasn’t that great oooking back at it.

Word.

#48 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (16602 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyger: which is exactly why I didn’t include, it would’ve made the poll predictable. And I agree with you on your second statement too.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#49 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (3818 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War easily for me. To me, it had maybe the most worthless villain in movie history. Not just comic-movie history. I'd argue take Zemo out and leave the Avengers to argue about the registration act, and the film is just as good. You wouldn't even need to have a traffic camera, in the middle of freaking nowhere to move the plot along. (now, folks THAT'S the definition of a "plot device") I know cine-sins is parody, but I feel like their video on CW was an accurate critique of the movie. Even the final fight scene at the airport. (which pre-release had bogus, staged photos of people being awed by it) was a bad fight scene. Looking more like 5-6 individual skirmishes instead of one big all-out scene. To be fair, it was still movie I had fun watching, but on reflection, would never want to watch again.

#50 Posted by tethadam (594 posts) - - Show Bio

None. All are good.