What's the better movie? Spider-Man 2 or The Dark Knight?

• 87 results
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) 3 years, 10 months ago

Poll: What's the better movie? Spider-Man 2 or The Dark Knight? (190 votes)

The Dark Knight 63%
Spider-Man 2 37%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

What's your favourite? What's the superior movie in your humble opinion?

#1 Posted by PayneInTheAss (12932 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is probably my favorite superhero movie

Spider-man 2 is probably my 2nd favorite superhero movie.

So, there you go.

#2 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight is probably my favorite superhero movie

Spider-man 2 is probably my 2nd favorite superhero movie.

So, there you go.

I consider them the high points in comic book movie film making. I'm however, implored to say that the comic book movie that I enjoy the most is dependant on my mood.

#3 Posted by Flumox56 (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved them both.

But I think the Dark Knight slightly outshines Spider-Man 2 thanks in no small part to Heath Ledgers portrayal of the Joker.

#4 Posted by TheSpoiler (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both, but I'd say The Dark Knight is better.

#5 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@flumox56 said:

Loved them both.

But I think the Dark Knight slightly outshines Spider-Man 2 thanks in no small part to Heath Ledgers portrayal of the Joker.

Heath Ledger is phenomenal, although I can't help but feel that a lot of people attribute The Dark Knight's immense success to him, when the movie had a lot going for it.

#6 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you think so? Care to elaborate on it?

#7 Posted by NeonGameWave (19333 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight was less of a superhero film and more of a phychological thriller/crime drama while Spider-man 2 on the other hand was more of what you could ask for when it came to being the superhero movie but I really do like both while TDK was the better film, I think S2 for obvious reasons was the better childhood experience.

#8 Posted by TheSpoiler (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

@thespoiler said:

I just thought it had a better storyline and more memorable moments.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
#9 Posted by darkdetective27 (7953 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight

#10 Posted by InsaneWorld (208 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to watch these movies.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#11 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18857 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight by far, by really far. Spider-Man 2 is just ok.

#12 Posted by modernww2fare (7464 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK. Spiderman 2 is a great movie and has nostalgia on its side, but so does TDK.

#13 Posted by DenzelMoton (669 posts) - - Show Bio

spiderman 2 only for nostalgia

#14 Posted by Guru_Crack (11630 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man 2 was ok, wasn't bad gave it a 7/10 for story, characters ect... Whereas I gave TDK a 9 out of 10 for the same reasons so for me TDK is a lot better.

#15 Posted by TheDandyMan (5175 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK, it's memorable quotes give it the edge for me along with more charismatic actors.

#16 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely a tough one. Probably Dark Knight by a little bit.

#17 Posted by JediXMan (42919 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight, not even close to me.

#18 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@thespoiler said:

I just thought it had a better storyline and more memorable moments.

I think both of them have great storylines but The Dark Knight edges out Spider-Man 2 because of it's thought provoking questions. While Spider-Man 2 is just a Peter Parker / Spider-Man arc, The Dark Knight can make you think.

#19 Posted by Cazboy10 (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is just better than Spiderman.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
#20 Posted by QuinnoftheStoneAge (3663 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight by far, by really far. Spider-Man 2 is just ok.

#22 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Dark Knight, not even close to me.

#23 Posted by rogueshadow (29601 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

Without including generic things like 'good acting, good writing etc', off the top of my head, a few reasons I prefer it are:

• It's different from any Batman that came before it while also feeling incredibly familiar and still retaining the core of what the character is all about.
  • The Dark Knight pushed the boundaries of what a superhero film can accomplish i.e. it took poignant real-world concepts and issues and pushed them within a framework of Batman without ever detracting from the story, but rather, adding to it, it just feels so grandiose without ever losing sight of smaller moments which ground the world.
  • TDK has become a fundamental part of not only Batman lore, but cinema in general, to this day it inspires the tonality/ sensibility of many films and film-makers.
  • Heath Ledger's Joker is simply the best Comic-Book villain ever adapted in my opinion, a wrecking ball of utter carnage who, in his chaotic, brilliant madness, encapsulated perfectly what makes Batman by demonstrating what he is not.
  • The film has a brilliant momentum which never lets up, it just has this brilliant rhythm to it that's difficult to define, but it propels me through the entire film and provides a level of rewatchability that few films have, Nolan transitions from plot point to plot point in ways that smoothen the experience really well.

I think it's a bit much to say it's the best film ever as some do, but it really is a stellar piece of cinema.

#24 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
#25 Edited by The_Caped_Crusader (10533 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight, no contest.

#26 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13645 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK is technically the better film, but my heart goes to Spider-Man 2 as my favorite

#27 Posted by the_stegman (40420 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK is a masterpiece, SM2 turned Doc Ock into a whiny, soft spoken poet. And it's MJ still sucks.

#28 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

@flumox56 said:

Loved them both.

Heath Ledger is phenomenal, although I can't help but feel that a lot of people attribute The Dark Knight's immense success to him, when the movie had a lot going for it.

The Joker really did make that movie. Without him in it, are we really still holding The Dark Knight in such high regard 7 years after the fact?

#29 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey said:
@flumox56 said:

Loved them both.

The Joker really did make that movie. Without him in it, are we really still holding The Dark Knight in such high regard 7 years after the fact?

It's held in high regard for the same reason that 12 Angry Men and To Kill A Mockingbird are held in high regard. They're great pieces of cinema.

The Dark Knight ticks all of these columns and it doesn't need the Joker to do so:

• Great writing
  • Great character development
  • Great themes
  • Great score
  • Great cinematography
  • Great scale
  • Great atmosphere

Heath Ledger elevates the movie, but it is still a great film.

The Dark Knight.

Without including generic things like 'good acting, good writing etc', off the top of my head, a few reasons I prefer it are:

• It's different from any Batman that came before it while also feeling incredibly familiar and still retaining the core of what the character is all about.
  • The Dark Knight pushed the boundaries of what a superhero film can accomplish i.e. it took poignant real-world concepts and issues and pushed them within a framework of Batman without ever detracting from the story, but rather, adding to it, it just feels so grandiose without ever losing sight of smaller moments which ground the world.
  • TDK has become a fundamental part of not only Batman lore, but cinema in general, to this day it inspires the tonality/ sensibility of many films and film-makers.
  • Heath Ledger's Joker is simply the best Comic-Book villain ever adapted in my opinion, a wrecking ball of utter carnage who, in his chaotic, brilliant madness, encapsulated perfectly what makes Batman by demonstrating what he is not.
  • The film has a brilliant momentum which never lets up, it just has this brilliant rhythm to it that's difficult to define, but it propels me through the entire film and provides a level of rewatchability that few films have, Nolan transitions from plot point to plot point in ways that smoothen the experience really well.

I think it's a bit much to say it's the best film ever as some do, but it really is a stellar piece of cinema.

Best movie ever is a stretch, but imo it wouldn't be far fetched to say it is one of the finest films in the past 10 years.

#30 Posted by pr0d1gy (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple answer to a simply question. Did Spider-Man 2 win an Academy Award? Or get compared to the Godfather in regards to the quality of the film?

#31 Posted by Flumox56 (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

@flumox56 said:

Loved them both.

I agree with you my friend that TDK had a lot going for it besides Ledgers performance, What I was trying to articulate was, Without Ledgers Joker (or if maybe another actor played said part) I personally would find it very difficult to choose between Spider-Man 2 & TDK as to which of the two (great) movies I favoured, And that it was Ledgers portrayal of the Joker that elevates the Dark Knight above Spider-Man 2 in my personal preference, I realise I may not of expressed this view particularly well, Though I did not mean to Insinuate that Ledgers performance was the only thing that I thought made the the Dark Knight a great Movie.

#32 Edited by nfactor1995 (13482 posts) - - Show Bio

I just liked The Dark Knight better as a whole. I'm more of a fan of the darker more serious superhero films and the Dark Knight trilogy movies epitomized this, similarly to Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

#33 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18401 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think I can add to what's been said before. The Dark Knight, hands down.

Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
#34 Posted by Benjamin_Poindexter (1036 posts) - - Show Bio

SM2 captured the comic experience better. For that, it gets my vote.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7
#35 Posted by deactivated-57e73b68b7ed7 (416 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course the dark knight is going to be more popular. ....Because it is better!

#36 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@pr0d1gy said:

Simple answer to a simply question. Did Spider-Man 2 win an Academy Award? Or get compared to the Godfather in regards to the quality of the film?

The Dark Knight didn't win an academy award. Heath Ledger won an Oscar.

#37 Posted by pr0d1gy (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

@pr0d1gy said:

Did Spiderman 2 win an Oscar?

#38 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@pr0d1gy said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@pr0d1gy said:

No, but neither did The Dark Knight. To be frank, I couldn't care.

#39 Posted by pr0d1gy (3300 posts) - - Show Bio

@pr0d1gy said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@pr0d1gy said:

Oh so Dark Knight won an Oscar and Spider-Man didn't?

#40 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@pr0d1gy said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@pr0d1gy said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@pr0d1gy said:

Oh so Dark Knight won an Oscar and Spider-Man didn't?

Now where did you pluck that out from?

#41 Posted by Aros001 (3803 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is my favorite superhero, but I found myself enjoying The Dark Knight a bit more than Spider-Man 2. This is a question where you can't really answer wrongly as they're both good movies, though not for exactly the same reasons.

#42 Posted by Leatherface003 (1604 posts) - - Show Bio

SM 2 is good just not TDK good

#43 Posted by MasterKungFu (20773 posts) - - Show Bio

TDK

#44 Posted by vinomonster (5566 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight

#45 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man 2 was a great Comic film, The Dark Knight however was just a great film in general. Both are definitely in my top 30 favorite films of all time, but the Dark Knight takes the cake when it comes to film making. The Dark Knight wasn't just a tale of the good guy gets the girl and beats the villain. Though those things did happen well half way atleast and barley at that. The film read more like a Shakespeare novel then a Saturday morning cartoon. It dealt with morality, longevity, Deep allegorical ca-notations. It was just in an entirely different league then Spidey 2. Its like comparing the Odysseas by Homer to the original Tarzan novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Were they both good? sure. But one was clearly trying to push the genre forward and succeeded and the others was just a regular old tale that played by the rules almost exactly, while still good its just simply cant compete with the latter.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
#46 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (18984 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

This!!!

#47 Posted by kcomicfan (4690 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man 2

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#48 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
#49 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (9130 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight.

This, well said.

#50 Posted by Wilkins17 (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman 2 was better.

The Dark Knight was a Boring, Pretensous movie thats only as popular as it is because of Heath Leadgers Joker.