What type of lightsaber should Rey have in Star Wars Episode 9?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll What type of lightsaber should Rey have in Star Wars Episode 9? (14 votes)

Standard blue 7%
Standard green 0%
Double-ended, like Darth Maul's, but blue instead of red 29%
Double-ended, like Darth Maul's, but green instead of red 7%
Exhaust hilt like Kylo Ren's 0%
Other 21%
I just clicked the thread because I want to complain about Rey and the sequels, is that cool with everyone? 36%
No Caption Provided

Rey is definitely going to get a new lightsaber in episode 9, but what kind do you think it should be?

• 
Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dual lightsabers: one blue, one red. The balance of the Force.

joshua755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Penguin-Dust: I really love that idea but for some reason I can’t see Rey being a dual Wield saber user

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Penguin-Dust: I genuinely hate the modern take on what "balance" means with regards to the Force in Star Wars, but I have to admit, visually, that'd look badass

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The saberstaff should always have been the weapon they give to her. It'd make her staff training on Jakku actually translate over to her lightsaber proficiency and make a lot more sense.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm staying open to whatever they decide to do, but there is one theory I've heard that I really like.

The theory is that that when Anakin's old lightsaber split apart, the crystal inside was split in half as well. A clean break, not cracked like the one in Kylo's lightsaber that needs the exhaust hilt. So Rey might be able to use those two halves to make a blue double-ended lightsaber. Not only would this work for her combat-wise, being a staff fighter, but it'd also work in her background as a scavenger. Taking the parts of something old and broken and making use out of it. I really like that idea.

All that said, I'll deal with whatever I'm given as long as it's still good. While I think a double-ended saber would be great for Rey, I don't NEED her to have one and it's not going to hurt the story if she doesn't.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The saberstaff should always have been the weapon they give to her. It'd make her staff training on Jakku actually translate over to her lightsaber proficiency and make a lot more sense.

I don't disagree. I like the believe the only reason they didn't was because Rey wouldn't yet have any idea how to even build a lightsaber. It'd be like Luke getting his green saber in ESB but even less believable. With the Jedi texts (and possibly Ghost Luke), it's now more plausible that Rey could make a new lightsaber (and I doubt Luke had any spares lying around she could use other than his green, if even that).

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7 JediXMan  Moderator

Won't happen, but she should have a purple or yellow lightsaber pike or double saber The colors would suit her better than blue or green, and they're unique to set her apart. The pike obviously fits the weapon she knows well.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she should just stick with a conventional blue lightsaber.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001:

Eh, they never used Rey not feasibly knowing how to do something as a hard limit before. They also had an opportunity for her to learn from Luke in Last Jedi and just didn't.

Maybe she'll get one in the next movie. Like you say, it'd be easy to justify with the Jedi codexes and ghost Luke around.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Double bladed like what maul had... but blue

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jashro44  Online

I like the idea of a double bladed light-saber and metaljimmor brought up a good point.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001:

Eh, they never used Rey not feasibly knowing how to do something as a hard limit before. They also had an opportunity for her to learn from Luke in Last Jedi and just didn't.

Maybe she'll get one in the next movie. Like you say, it'd be easy to justify with the Jedi codexes and ghost Luke around.

She did learn from Luke but it was more about understanding what the Force itself was, which personally I think makes sense since that's what held him back when he was training under Yoda (he didn't understand the Force and couldn't lift the X-Wing since he believed it was impossible). He learned from his own failure and passed it on, possibly without realizing it. But I still understand what you mean.

Personally I've always viewed it as Rey has decent competence and adaptability, but her main strengths are melee and mechanics, which her background as a scavenger helps me believe she'd have experience in. Everything she does for the first time, she has natural talent but the movies still make a point to show how much better those with actual experience and training are over her. Poe Dameron is a far better pilot, while Rey's best success came with Chewy at the Falcon's controls. Kylo, when not cripplingly injured, is better at lightsaber combat, as he was holding his own against much greater odds against Snoke's Guards than Rey was. And it's very clear how much more powerful in the Force Luke and Snoke are than her, where it's not even a close comparison. Only time Rey's natural competence went too far for me was her doing the Jedi Mind Trick.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dual lightsabers: one blue, one red. The balance of the Force.

I'm curious of how accepting of that general audiences would be.