What matters more in a CBM. Story Vs. Action

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What matters more in a CBM. Story Vs. Action (37 votes)

I enjoy a good story. 41%
I'm just here for punching and visuals dude. 5%
Little bit of both. 54%
 • 
Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's see do people like TDK or BvS more there's your answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By infantfinite128

Story. I get bored by action in most superhero movies. Logan and the Nolan movies are exceptions. It's not a movie, but Neflix Daredevil was great on that end as well. Those are my 3 favorite live action comic book adaptations.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:
@kevd4wg said:

Avatar image for celestialarcher
CelestialArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are important, but I feel like a great story can pick up a lack of action more than the reverse.

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DSTREET45

Both. Deadpool/Avengers are examples of a good CBM's with a mediocre story and great action and The Dark Knight is an example of a good CBM with a good story and mediocre action. So it's not like one is more valuable than the other.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are important, but story is definitely more important. Even though The Dark Knight did not have great action, it is (in my opinion) the greatest CBM of all time. Compare that to a movie like The Wolverine; the action in The Wolverine was great, but overall, it was a forgettable movie.

I'm not saying action is not important in a superhero movie (it is), I'm just saying that the story is more important.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. Deadpool/Avengers are examples of a good CBM's with a mediocre story and great action and The Dark Knight is an example of a good CBM with a good story and mediocre action. So it's not like one is more valuable than the other.

Since when does flashy choreography mean the action is good? I prefer action with proper context. Nolan didn't aim to be flashy with his trilogy, he wanted it to be practical. Much like Mad Max Fury Road (arguably one of the best action flicks of all time). Logan is nonetheless when compared to the "fancy" shit you see in Deadpool, but I still think that ranks higher than Deadpool.

DSTREET45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Haven't watched Fury Road or Logan. I don't care if the choreography is practical or flashy, as long as I could get into it I think it's a good action scene. Though I'd probably rethink my opinion on TDK, the chase scene, SWAT team scene, and Batman's initial appearance were well shot action scenes.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be an action guy but story goes a long way , that's why I like BvS slightly more than Civil War , its a prime reason why I dislike most MArvel movies (except WS , Ant-Man , Hulk , Dr Strange) a lot have minimal story with a lot of great action , Deadpool is one of the very movies I've ever liked where the story was bad (it was awful bro) and the action was amazing

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Haven't watched Fury Road or Logan. I don't care if the choreography is practical or flashy, as long as I could get into it I think it's a good action scene. Though I'd probably rethink my opinion on TDK, the chase scene, SWAT team scene, and Batman's initial appearance were well shot action scenes.

I concur.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

60% story and 40% action.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action and story are not separate entities or opposite ends of a coin or anything. Good action IS a story. When action fails is when it's just meaningless noise. Take the best choreography and the best visuals in the world, and it will be boring af without emotions behind it.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Story should go first

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Story.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Story not every CBM should depend on actions another.

No Batman movie IMO should strive to have Avengers level action

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Neither, I'm a character guy.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action and story are not separate entities or opposite ends of a coin or anything. Good action IS a story. When action fails is when it's just meaningless noise. Take the best choreography and the best visuals in the world, and it will be boring af without emotions behind it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57
deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Story.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:
@nickzambuto said:

You kinda contradicted yourself. Good action is story, but then you say a film with the best visuals/action in the world would be meaningless without emotion. So its not the action that matters entirely. It is in fact the emotionally driven story. And they are entirely on different ends of the spectrum. TDK had horrid action but it Is one of the greatest films out there while BvS had some decent Action but wasnt good at all.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:
@nickzambuto said:

You kinda contradicted yourself. Good action is story, but then you say a film with the best visuals/action in the world would be meaningless without emotion. So its not the action that matters entirely. It is in fact the emotionally driven story. And they are entirely on different ends of the spectrum. TDK had horrid action but it Is one of the greatest films out there while BvS had some decent Action but wasnt good at all.

No I didn't say that. I said the best choreography and the best visuals would not be enough to create good action, because good action is a story itself.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little bit of both. 50/50.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1. Characters
  2. Story
  3. Action
TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They're both needed to make a great cbm.