What Makes a Hero or Villain A-List, B-List, C-List, Z-List, Etc?

Characters being ranked by list is often referenced, both by comic book characters and fans, and it can be easy sometimes: Batman and Spider-Man are A-listers, Blue Beetle and Whirlwind are B-Listers, and Zebra-Man and Digger are Z-listers. But it can often be difficult to tell, so what exactly makes a character an A-lister, Z-lister, and every other lister in between?

Popularity

^^This

I guess, specifically:

• A-List: Guaranteed to either have a solo book or be prominent in a team book at all points. Basically most people aware of pop culture would now them.
  • B-List: Popular enough to keep coming back, but ocassionally have periods where they are not appearing on anything. Alternatively, a fixture in a team book that has never been popular as a solo character.
  • C-List: Minor character on a team book. They'll probably be included on big group shots to fill space, because they're low-key memorable but not much else. Alternatively, a character who has had one notorious run and not much else.
  • D-List: A minor character on that notorious C-List run I just mentioned.
  • Z-List: Lol.

@quinlan58: That makes a lot of sense! I'm glad that's been cleared up. Could you give some examples of each? And is there tiers below D-List?

Opinion?

Do you think their can be AA or AAA tiers. Because characters like Superman/Batman are A-listers... but have been A-listers for 60+ years. I think that warrants AAA status. Also Iconic status is important too.

Batman and Superman AAA.

Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Wonder Woman AA.

Captain America, Iron Man, Deadpool, etc. A.