KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Simple Question. Lot's of anime have groups of villains. So what makes certain villain teams like phantom troupe, Akatsuki etc more iconic and better than the others

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on their powers, personality, look, etc. As well as how they are portrayed and their fights. I feel like some of these groups just have too much fodder to be interesting.

LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally feel it's just up to the coolness factor.

Meaning unique character designs for each villain but something universal that ties them together at the same time. Example being the Akatsuki cloak or upper Moon demon's numbered eyes.

No Caption Provided

They should also be competent and distinctly challenging in each encounter the heroes have with them. As well as having an interesting interpersonal dynamic between their fellow villains and the heroes

Avatar image for mcu-defender333
MCU-Defender333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- appearance

- abilities

- motivations

- at least one character shrouded in mystery, or with unclear motivations

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Se7enSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

consist of

1. main villain. the leader. strong and respected

2. joker. who joke around like a clown. pretty standard power wise

3. cocky bstard. who want to brag and gets leader attention. great power but lack control

4. beautiful demon girl for fan service

basically power ranger villain lol

Avatar image for hydratedfubuki6
HydratedFubuki6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HydratedFubuki6
  • character development
  • motivation/reason why they become villain
  • intriguing personalities
  • respectable
  • mystery/puzzling plot
  • unique
Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Power and intimidation
  • Personality
  • Admirable fights
  • Design and appearance
  • Motivations
  • Charismatic leader
  • Mysterious

The Akatsuki is the pinnacle for me but there are a number of others that I like

JJKHead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJKHead

In general, each member should serve some purpose and there should be unique dynamic and synergy between the entire group.

Depending on the purpose of the group for the narrative and the size of the group, balancing how much time you put into developing the leader of the group and each of the members, while also giving them time to interact with each other is difficult. The upper 12 moons didn't really have this, only the top 3 really interacted all that much and it wasn't much.

The Akatsuki is a little better but a decent amount of the members were underwhelming.

Hunter x Hunter easily has the best villain groups in all of anime history, The Phantom Troupe and the Royal Guards + Mereum all have unique personalities, differing goals, great relationships that develop in unique ways as the story progress, and abilities that complement the group as a whole. Really, no anime villain groups come close. Depending on how you view the "princes" and their bodyguards, they also apply here.

I know you said anime but I do think that Azulas squad also counts as a very decent villain group overall.

DeWitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DeWitt

Appearance, Strength, Intimidation, Distinct difference between each member of group, Charisma.

And also what @lordtwigo mentioned about:

Meaning unique character designs for each villain but something universal that ties them together at the same time. Example being the Akatsuki cloak or upper Moon demon's numbered eyes.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

• character development
  • motivation/reason why they become villain
  • intriguing personalities
  • respectable
  • mystery/puzzling plot
  • unique

GarouHM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By GarouHM

Having some weight in the story, being cool, badass, their motivation and commitment to it, their style, powers, and overall personalities.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

if it only focuses on leader / main member it's bad

FalsePromise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Motives and Goals

- Personality

- Willingness to achieve their goals

These three are the most important aspects to me. I did not include power because not every fictional universe has powers in them. Since it is a group, there should be a clear motive and goals even if that only gets revealed much later. Each member of the group should also have something taht would distinguish them from other members otherwise that group might as well be some robot clones or something. The last is the most important to me as I like characters who would do anything to achieve their goals even if that anything refers to doing something that is against what that character believes in

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fabricolage

Dunno, I guess how they contrast to the main cast. What brought them together and what they are willing to do to achieve their goal and their relevance to the story. They could be mysterious or even serious and have their own character and relationships in the story. Even their mindsets and abilities can prove dangerous when underestimated. But it depends on what the creative person makes as enemies and what-not.

Even the serious ones can have some morally ambiguous or gag characters in their party to show a sense of light-hearted nature to the group or why are they in this group for so long and why aren't they on the heroic side? Only to realize they might be dangerous, has potential relevance to the story, or decent to be around if not for them being enemies. Like Captain Buggy, Tobi, Franky from Water 7, Jessie as well as James and Meowth, The Ginyu Force, or something.

They can have faults and will drive that faulty nature to impractically practicality. Like Team Rocket or some character or characters willing to test their stupidity to great lengths be it with said stupid abilities or their own goals and nature. But that might mostly work if the world is kinda dumb.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

bump bc i have great interest in this
i will answer better later

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There seems to be some trends in this discussion, the most talked upon aspects seem to be:

• Dynamic (with the heroes and themselves)
  • Distinct personalities
  • Good motivations
  • Something that ties them together

I think one interesting thing in the akatsuki is that they all have themes:

• deidara and sasori-Art and the nature of art
  • Itachi and Kisame (ilusions and reality)
  • Konan and pain (the nature of war and pain)
  • Hidan and Kakuzo (Materialism vs spiritualism)
    etc
    The espada also have the theme of death but i think theirs is a little less interesting.