What life lessons have comic books taught you ??

• 78 results
Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Thor-Parker

Let's get serious in here for a moment, the comic book is a medium made to entertain the readers, but to people like me (and I'm sure many of you reading this) it is so much more, it is a place where we go to forget everything else going on in life, a place where we feel safe, where we feel anything is possible.

When we read these stories we feel part of a larger community that will always be there for us, and in a way, they are.

No Caption Provided

These special heroes help us get through the day when we feel down, they make us smile wider when we're already happy, they make us cry, they make us laugh. Some people just see stories, but I see so much more, I see life's problems and happiness reflected on them, I see a place where every problem has a solution, where everything will eventually be all right.

Peter Parker is my role model, Spider-Man is more than just a comic book character to me, he is the embodiment of hope and the good in this world, in having a positive way to live your life, because no matter what he's been through, he always gets through the day giving his very best, because anything less than his best, anything less than our best is simply not acceptable because even if we fall short, what better way is there to live. A lesson he has taught me every time I read his stories.

I want to share with you some bits of my all time favorite Spider-Man issue, "Maybe Next Year".

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

=======================================================================

No Caption Provided

With that said, I want to know what life lessons have comic books taught you.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

• Awesome blog.
  • Hmm...I guess comics taught me to always offer a helping hand if possible to somebody in need.
  • And Superman's extreme optimism is proably why i consider myself such an optimist today.
Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Too many to share

One that I didn't learn, but always felt was reinforced by comic heroes, is not to let hate be a justification for doing something wrong, do what is just, not what is justified, love those who are the hardest to love.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

humans are cruel. cynical, i know. if i remember a more optimistic one i'll tell you.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Expose yourself to as much nuclear waste and dangerous chemicals as possible.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

humans are cruel. cynical, i know. if i remember a more optimistic one i'll tell you.

Tbh. this..

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great blog really true what you said here sometimes you just need to sit down and read comics for a while and go to a different world which is why I love Thor I read it because it's so different to reality sometimes you need to get out of it for a bit.

Also I think reading comics broadens your imagination so much cause some dreams I have are crazy ahahaha

I guess they taught me humans always think they're above everything else but doesn't mean you have to think that

also this lol

Expose yourself to as much nuclear waste and dangerous chemicals as possible.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need to kill the Joker! But also, you can't kill the Joker!

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey's my favorite too. As far as what he taught me:

Never give up. Keep moving forward and do your best to be the best person you can be every day. And always lend a helping hand.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By destinyman75

They taught me the difference between reality and fantasy such as a kid picking up a hammer and throwing at my brother's head (who was playing Loki) upon impact a knot on his head and a knot on me bum seems clear now to me. Though I remember retorting But he's Loki he should have had his shield up not my fault he forgot....

Other then that taught me to stand strong against the odds. Also there are differences in everyone embrace them. So many really

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I learned that I should be ashamed of myself because of my upbringing, skin color, and gender.

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

Gorr was right.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome writeup, dude, and great question.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

Thieves are cool.

Bithes are cool.

Assassins are cool.

Hero code: Do not kill. Never. You can just torture and leave someone helpless in pain. That's cool.

FirstOlympian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Murder bad people

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. Not to put down the blog or folks that do get lessons from comics, but all my real life lessons come from...real life. Comics (like any other form of story-telling) will sometimes affirm what I already believe or challenge me with a different viewpoint, but no form of entertainment can make me change my mind about my life philosophy. It's like what they say on those ads on gambling sites...Used for entertainment purposes only.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

None. Not to put down the blog or folks that do get lessons from comics, but all my real life lessons come from...real life. Comics (like any other form of story-telling) will sometimes affirm what I already believe or challenge me with a different viewpoint, but no form of entertainment can make me change my mind about my life philosophy. It's like what they say on those ads on gambling sites...Used for entertainment purposes only.

This is for most of the time the sad truth we do not want to admit.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HeroUp2112

Where there's life there's hope.

X-Men

This isn't something I learned it's something I've believed, but this put it into words best for me:

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

i don't know if ive ever learned any lessons... i have had my views and opinions challenged (quite hard actually) by certain characters philosophies. Martian Manhunter and Silver Surfer comics do an excellent job of this. maybe had to reevaluate how i approach certain situations or whatever.

but i think that has more value than actually teaching... i think its important to let people reach their own conclusions and then challenge them then to just outright tell them this is a lesson you should learn.

did that make any sense or was i just rambling? im still kinda hungover

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That with enough hope, optimism and a healthy dose of super-speed, you too can destroy an anti-matter cannon and save the universe.

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gorr was right.

Avatar image for don_higashikata
Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say that they're largely responsible for the way I value myself. I can't say they've given me an optimistic outlook on life but I think they've installed a sense of right and wrong that has stayed with me. I strongly believe in trying to do the right thing, helping people and treating everyone with respect and that those things all have an inherent value.

I'd say one of the most important lessons is to try and rise above your enemies. So to give some real world application to all this I'll just have to admit that I went to a mildly racist school. There were a lot of white middle class kids that never attacked anyone or anything but they liked to make racist jokes. Maybe it was harmless I'm not sure but it used to really piss me off either way. I'm not sure why it got under my skin so much but it just seemed so stupid to me at the time. It still does but I guess I'm more aware now that their beliefs probably came from their parents and that we all do and say stupid things as teenagers at some point. Anyway my point is that calling them idiots or ignorant didn't do anything to change their minds, it just made them dislike me. So rather than resorting to teenage insults or getting angry I've tried to make sure I'm always doing what I believe to be the right thing and do my best to have a rational and respectful argument with people even if I strongly disagree with their beliefs. I guess I respect the idea of leading by example. Hopefully if I try to be a good person it will rub off on people around me just as I know I've been inspired by others and that a life of small good deeds might add up to something significant overall.

For the record I also know that I don't always live up to the expectations I have for myself. I've definitely been disrespectful to people I shouldn't have been at times. I think what I love about some superheroes is that when they're really tested they always manage to stay true to their beliefs. I know it might be an unrealistic standard but as I get older I hope to try and live up to it.

I know this all sounds a bit naive but I'll try and source it. This scene is one of my favorites from JLU:

Loading Video...

I know it's not a comic but I watched a lot more than I read when I was a kid so this will have to do.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bflynn316

Really great blog. As a child I feel I learned so much from heroes like Spiderman and Superman and the like, as a teenager/young adult I learned so much from books like Watchmen, Arkham Asylum (the comic not the game), and the like.

Comics are such a great medium for teaching children values, I really believe that.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I learned that life doesnt make sense until you force it to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've ever gleaned anything meaningful from a superhero comic. It's just pulpy fun for me.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

Cap America?

@thor_parker82: You don't have to like your family to love them.

Starman

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Thor-Parker

I´m glad some of you like my blog :)

Also, very interesting posts in here.

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wear underwear over your pants.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Eh I kinda like this blog you made but comics does in fact expand your imagination its basically a perfect environment for creativity, but when it comes to real life its simply another and a totally distinct thing, it's like fire and water, comics to me are just for entertainment. Well, it does for sure puts a smile on your face and bring you a temporary happiness, in a substance it puts your mind in a pleasurable trance-like state which is good but it doesn't change the fact that real life issues will still be haunting you if you try to hide in a fictional world instead of choosing to fix 'em. If you view comics as a place where every problem has a solution... is kind of sophistical, because sooner or later you'll realize comics cannot solve your real life issues if you're unable to do it by yourself which is also one of my biggest fears of all times it feels like facing the unknown however I am just gonna put it this way it may sound a bit harsh but this is life and I absolutely apologize if I offended any one of you guys in someway:

1. Comics can't solve your real life issues.. etc
  2. Comics can't get you a regular job if your mind is all into a specific fictional world.
  3. Comics can't buy you a house or a car.
  4. Comics can't certainly getcha a girlfriend :v..

And the list goes on and on and on... But look at the bright side, all sort and types of fiction in general helps an individual to develop and build up his language (worked well for me tbh) it's also considered a substantial way that helps you to tap into creativity and understanding others and exploring ideas of change and a better understanding of the intricacies of social life in a unique way, and that's just my perspective on this precise matter. Everybody have his own choice in life whether to do good with it or the opposite, it's how a person sees things and how he understand it, you cannot force a him/her to view and comprehend things the way you see it.

DanMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DanMarshall

That retconning (lying) is terrible thats about it.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're learning life lessons from comic books I feel bad for you

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I learned that I should be ashamed of myself because of my upbringing, skin color, and gender.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Savitar71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Savitar71

That with enough hope, optimism and a healthy dose of super-speed, you too can destroy an anti-matter cannon and save the universe.

Truer words have never been spoken. Man, I learned this lesson the hard way when I tried to destroy my neighbor's anti-matter cannon without that healthy dose of super speed.

Savitar71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is technically a Comic-Book TV Show, but I'll still throw it in here.

The incredible importance of commas...

I am the Future Flash

I am the Future, Flash

Also: If you have a passion, no matter how abnormal, confess it to the world. Otherwise Adrian Chase will violently torture you until you become a broken man.

Thesenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The perseverance of Batman to accomplish what he does in the face of insurmountable odds. his ability to fight through the pain (emotional/mental) and not waver or fall is something that I take to heart.

Superman's status as a symbol of hope his optimism and innate goodness is something that I take to heart as well. I think it's extremely important to have such an idol in our cynical world.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bflynn316 said:

No Caption Provided

What comic is that from? the art is very nice

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Thor-Parker

Bump

I want to see more people sharing how comics have helped them in their life or what they have learned from them.

Juggerman40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for rebuildofkojima
RebuildofKojima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never sale your marriage to the devil. Thanks Pete!