What is your opinion on making the Little mermaid Black?

• 89 results
rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rawsos

A redditor said it best:

The reason is obvious. Disney is a left leaning company and would choose to add diversity into their movies for the sake of race identity politics.

That said, i dont mind but i would prefer disney to keep politics outside of entertainment

also i dont find Halle bailey attractive (not cuz shes black ofc)

Update: Halle Bailey actually sounds like the old ariel. I can hear it in her voice. I just hope that's why they picked her

MetalGary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Thats SJW's forcing diversity for the sake of it.

Really bad writing on their part.

Mrsportsguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mrsportsguy13
@rawsos said:

That said, i dont mind but i would prefer disney to keep politics outside of entertainment

You just contradicted yourself there. You don't mind them doing it, but at the same time you want don't want them to do it?

Koose104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it really matter? It’s still the Little Mermaid.

goldeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By goldeneagle

I do not care. I would not go to see it under my own free will, and even if I did, I still would not care.

Mrsportsguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mrsportsguy13

Ariel's race is not a part of her character. Who cares if she is black, as long as she is written well and her character traits and development are faithful to the characters roots, why does it matter if she is made black when that is not an important part of her character.

Anti-SJW's are just as bad as SJW's lol.

MetalGary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MetalGary

Droopy: Hey Hollywood. Any more forced diversity in there?.

rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rawsos said:

You just contradicted yourself there. You don't mind them doing it, but at the same time you want don't want them to do it?

yk y they did it we all do

i dont care that shes black, i care that they did it just to have diversity.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Under the Sea... Under the Sea !

Anyways, I don't really care honestly. I don't plan on watching The Little Mermaid so.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mike_Fowler

Why would I necessarily care? Seriously, it ain’t that big a deal, and frankly, I laugh at those that treat it like it is

Oh no! The fictional mermaid is being played by a black woman, stop the presses, look at this “forced diversity”…

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn’t matter. She’s a cartoon fantasy mermaid and all, sooooo 😶

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 krisbishop  Moderator

It's a forced SJW move, but I also don't care. Never planned to watch it either way.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrmonster

Meh, I don't care what race of actress they choose to play a mythical creature in a children's fantasy movie that I probably wouldn't have ended up watching anyway.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a forced SJW move, but I also don't care. Never planned to watch it either way.

Is it ? Her simply being the best actress or incorporating it into the story somehow is just automatically factored out of the equation?

@rawsos said:
@mrsportsguy13 said:
@rawsos said:

yk y they did it we all do

i dont care that shes black, i care that they did it just to have diversity.

If you didn't care you wouldn't cry about it. You cant say they did it just to have diversity. You have 0 proof of that and using your own biases to jump to conclusions

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WastelandMan

They're not "left leaning" they lean towards whatever they think makes them the most money. In America it's woke content but they're just as quick to censor that same content in many other countries like China. They'll pander to w/e popular consensus there is based on country to maximize profit.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

make an original character WHO IS GOOD for the people you want to represent rather than insulting both the community and fans and the source material

diydeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feels like forced diversity for effectively no reason. I'd much rather that they create original characters for their diversity initiative.

thEonE34gG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrsportsguy13: um no, he's saying it doesn't bother him regardless, but if he was forced to choose he would decide as stated...stop lighting up problems.

LucasCosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, Disney is doing it out of policy.

And i believe companies should put the entertainment above political agendas, because that is where the money is. If a movie is not profitable, it will end up affecting the market. In worse case scenario, whole Live Action's disney films could be canceled (maybe for the best). And all because executives doesn't understand their public.

LucasCosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're not "left leaning" they lean towards whatever they think makes them the most money. In America it's woke content but they're just as quick to censor that same content in many other countries like China. They'll pander to w/e popular consensus there is based on country to maximize profit.

The problem is, it is not profitable at all.

Marvel has already walked this path, and you probably know what it did for their profit.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WastelandMan
@lucascosta said:

Marvel has already walked this path, and you probably know what it did for their profit.

It's extremely profitable on the whole, you're just focusing on one extremely specific example. Have you seen the box offices for their woke remakes and animated films? It's made over 10 billion easy, some bad selling comics is nothing in comparison to that, and while Marvel comics is struggling, Marvel Studios currently holds the best selling franchise of all time.

I mean, why else would they pander to wokeness if it wasn't profitable? They clearly don't care about the morals and politics since they throw it under the bus the instant it makes them money in other countries.

DeWitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diversity for the sake of diversity. They could write good and original characters, without forcefully changing existing ones.

LucasCosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucascosta said:

It's extremely profitable on the whole, you're just focusing on one extremely specific example. Have you seen the box offices for their woke remakes and animated films? It's made over 10 billion easy, some bad selling comics is nothing in comparison to that, and while Marvel comics is struggling, Marvel Studios currently holds the best selling franchise of all time.

I mean, why else would they pander to wokeness if it wasn't profitable? They clearly don't care about the morals and politics since they throw it under the bus the instant it makes them money in other countries.

No, they are not.

Look no further than this thread. See all the people here either are displeased with the woke policy in the movies to the point they're not even bothering to see in theaters.

The problem, like i said is that they don't understand their public at all. They think we want diversity, so they feed it to us. They don't understand that what we want is good stories, that everyone can enjoy. Not only the minorities.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mike_Fowler

I’d hate to see how some people today would’ve reacted to something like Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella from the late 90s

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By KillianDuclark

They claim to be doing so in order to match with the new Caribbean setting of the movie.

Anyway, I like the actress/songstress who is set to play the role so I'm willing to give her the chance to impress me

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WastelandMan
@lucascosta said:
@wastelandman said:

No, they are not.

Look no further than this thread. See all the people here either are displeased with the woke policy in the movies to the point they're not even bothering to see in theaters.

The problem, like i said is that they don't understand their public at all. They think we want diversity, so they feed it to us. They don't understand that what we want is good stories, that everyone can enjoy. Not only the minorities.

That is proof of absolutely nothing.

I could go to another part of the web where the consensus is the exact opposite and people are praising Disney as their god. This singular website or whatever circles you follow is not representative of the consensus as a whole. Again, you can't deny the box office, they're making more money than ever, niche groups of people who are against it make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725:If you didn't care you wouldn't cry about it. You cant say they did it just to have diversity. You have 0 proof of that and using your own biases to jump to conclusions

Didnt cry about, just wondered what other people thought

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don’t care.

DarkRealm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

This casting was announced years ago, why is it being brought up now? Anyway I like Halle Bailey as an actress and artist so I have no doubts she can perform in the role. Disney, like most entertainment companies, understands that diversity and representation sells in the current social media age. Though to say that the business operates under any one political ideology is to show a fundamental misunderstanding of how marketing under capitalism works.

Gyava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't knew this forum was infested with SJWs

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gyava said:

Didn't knew this forum was infested with SJWs

Didn’t realize not caring about the color of an actress and arguing against people making big deal over nothing was the work of SJW’s. Here I thought they were forcing representation and being overlysensitive about people not properly repping minorities.

But clearly this thread with comments like “I don’t care“ and “Anti-SJW’s are just as bad as SJW’s”, this a thread infested with SJW’s.

stumerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This casting was announced years ago, why is it being brought up now? Anyway I like Halle Bailey as an actress and artist so I have no doubts she can perform in the role. Disney, like most entertainment companies, understands that diversity and representation sells in the current social media age. Though to say that the business operates under any one political ideology is to show a fundamental misunderstanding of how marketing under capitalism works.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care, and it shouldn't really matter

rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rawsos

Halle bailey is actually an incredible singer! I could hear the old ariels voice in her voice based on the songs (haven't seen the movie yet). Lets just hope that's the reason they picked her.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care for them making Ariel black, just not interested in the movie nor do I like supporting Disney anymore.

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People saying they dont care about Ariel race because she is not real should also be ok for a white Moana or lilith or Mulan. Its always funny how people are okay with erasure of a particular race from the movie.

vjbthe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobeymaguire84: lol, Moana and Mulan are stories based on cultures. It's like when they made captain America hydra. The little mermaid is about a mermaid. This is more like making Saiyan's black, or kryptonians black. Both which should be acceptable regardless of their race because they're aliens, but wouldn't happen

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TobeyMaguire84
@vjbthe3 said:

@tobeymaguire84: lol, Moana and Mulan are stories based on cultures. It's like when they made captain America hydra. The little mermaid is about a mermaid. This is more like making Saiyan's black, or kryptonians black. Both which should be acceptable regardless of their race because they're aliens, but wouldn't happen

Oh I forgot, little mermaid and snow white are not part of any culture unlike Moana or Mulan or Aladdin or Lion king

Avatar image for deactivated-64a0c943e7754
deactivated-64a0c943e7754

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no! It matters so much that they're changing the appearance of this fictional cartoon character! Lmfao

MaulSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MaulSmacker  Online

Literally don't care.

Eredin12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never watched Little mermaid

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Just don't watch if you don't like it. Take your crying somewhere else.

Thane17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The amount of racial bias in this thread is disappointing.

tagsorwhatever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't care any less.(never watched little mermaid)

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

Lazy excuse of “look , we cool with black ppl“.

Apparently not cool enough to create a original black mermaid. i feel sorry for ppl who fall for this kind of crap.

vjbthe3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobeymaguire84: I feel like you're being sarcastic but I don't know how, what you said was an accurate statement

MisterKeyrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

At least find another actress that's more attractive if they really want to race bend her

They didn't even try

Eredin12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Eredin12
@straight-fire said:

Just don't watch if you don't like it. Take your crying somewhere else.

I will not watch it as I do not care about how character in disney cartoon looks like, but it is reasonable to criticize particular woke thrend, such as when it goes as far as to change race of historical people, like Cleopatra in documentary. Of course , I will not watch that stuff, but it is still spreading misinformation to virtue signal. Just imagine reactions if Obama was played by white guy for example.