#1 Posted by SaintWildcard (21783 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

There is no justice in this world. Meanwhile

Aquaman and Venom
Aquaman and Venom

Venom made 850 million dollars and Aquaman is now the highest grossing DCEU movie. JESUS!

#2 Posted by jashro44 (52341 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderverse is an animated movie. Animated movies don't get taken as seriously as live action.

#3 Posted by Tomkatie (3318 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-verse has to make 200M domestic, otherwise we won’t get Japanese Spider-Man!

#4 Posted by Mutant1230 (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

Spiderverse is an animated movie. Animated movies don't get taken as seriously as live action.

#5 Edited by SaintWildcard (21783 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

.... I could sit here and post example after example of animated movies that don't look half as good as Spiderverse (lots of Pixar movies as well), that made way more. Not to mention the quality of the movies here being compared should also be taken into account. Point is, what you said is silly

#6 Edited by the_stegman (40186 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, for me, it's cause it's animated. I'm not shelling out full ticket price to go see an animated movie. Especially since I am over budget this year with movies as is. Same with Pixar. I wait for DVD, if even.

#7 Edited by SaintWildcard (21783 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't about Venom and Aquaman making more, as much as it is that Spiderverse has made so little. The way I see it, you have to make like 3 times your budget to be a success. 2 times is at best, breaking even.

#8 Posted by jashro44 (52341 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

.... I could sit here and post example after example of animated movies that don't look half as good as Spiderverse (lots of Pixar movies as well), that made way more. Not to mention the quality of the movies here being compared should also be taken into account. Point is, what you said is wrong

Do you mean way more than spiderverse or way more than aquaman and venom? Admittedly I don't follow how much money movies make but there are a lot of factors when comparing those movies to spiderverse. Like when they were in theaters did they have to contend with live action super hero films? Did these movies come out before or after live action super hero movies became mainstream? Were these animated movies trying to compete in the super genre?

For the record I liked spiderverse a lot. Its my favorite CBM I've seen in theaters. I'm just saying animated movies tend to be perceived more as kids films whereas films like Aquaman tend to get perceived more as films that can be enjoyed by anyone. When I saw spiderverse I overheard a couple that I guess was seeing it as a date say "the movie was actually good". You also have comments like what stegman is saying in this thread.

Its not surprising Aquaman outperformed it.

#9 Posted by jashro44 (52341 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't about Venom and Aquaman making more, as much as it is that Spiderverse has made so little. The way I see it, you have to make like 3 times your budget to be a success. 2 times is at best, breaking even.

My bad. I misinterpreted your OP. I guess its because of competition.

#10 Posted by MetalJimmor (6388 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, for me, it's cause it's animated. I'm not shelling out full ticket price to go see an animated movie. Especially since I am over budget this year with movies as is. Same with Pixar. I wait for DVD, if even.

This. Watching an animated movie in the theater doesn't really make the animated movie any better. Not in the way seeing Aquaman rise from the depths on the back of a gigantic sea creature while a Star Wars-esque undersea battle between prehistoric reptiles, sharks, and space age naval vessels is made better.

The theater is expensive. I try to only see movies that I feel will actually be improved with the bigger screen there if I can help it. The same reason I don't go to the theater to see romantic comedies.

#11 Posted by Tomkatie (3318 posts) - - Show Bio

Main issue for this movie that I can think of is that it’s a lot more niche than the live-action movies. Us nerds were super hyped and saw it ASAP, but the general audience hasn’t heard much about it

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#12 Edited by MarvelandDCfan24 (7309 posts) - - Show Bio

I apprecaited spiderverse but I enjoyed Aquaman more the movie wasnt marketed correctly I never even knew it was coming out or saw any previews plus this movie can be enjoyed at home while Aquaman is a spectacle to see in the theater

#13 Edited by the_stegman (40186 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor: Exactly. Although I DID hear the visuals for Spiderverse were great, I feel I'll get a similar experience from my flat screen. I go to theaters for the spectacle or for a movie I really can't wait 6 months to see on home release.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#14 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22714 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only is it animated, it's another spider-man movie, and one that features Miles Morales instead of Peter Parker.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#15 Edited by Ready_4_Madness (15800 posts) - - Show Bio

Taking out the salt on Venom and Aquaman eh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c32bf8a2c6ae
#16 Posted by deactivated-5c32bf8a2c6ae (193 posts) - - Show Bio

It truly is a shame. It deserves a much higher box office.

#17 Posted by InvadedTBD (1532 posts) - - Show Bio

Animated movie that doesn’t reallly pander to kids so the numbers don’t look like Pixar. It’s a real shame.

A lot people went to go see trash ass Bumblebee.

#18 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

Animated CBMs don't do well, that's just a given. The only real exception is Big Hero 6, and it's a Disney movie, animated Disney movies rarely flop these days.

I think another big problem this movie had was the marketing. The movie's marketing was too kid centric, it did practically nothing to market to the teen and older crowd.

#19 Posted by StormKing1221 (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

If we lose out on a sequel over this...I will write a strongly worded letter

#20 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

This is pretty true. It depends a lot on how much the studio is willing to spend on advertising; since it looks like Sony did a lot of advertising, I think it's safe to say that right now they're just barely breaking even on this movie.

#21 Posted by Beyonder97 (1039 posts) - - Show Bio

The real question is why does it bother you ?

Being a better movie doesn't mean it will make more money, we have seen that a lot i mean look at Blade Runner 2049 movie is way better than any cbm but the Audience didn't like it, it's all about audiences appealing nowadays

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#22 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (4428 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

This is the unfortunate truth.

#23 Posted by phisigmatau (1795 posts) - - Show Bio

Being a better movie doesn't mean it will make more money,

#24 Posted by biswaboxz (3642 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only is it animated, it's another spider-man movie, and one that features Miles Morales instead of Peter Parker.

#25 Posted by Tyger (461 posts) - - Show Bio

Prolly because Spider-Verse looks ugly and sucks? Nothing was good about that movie.

#26 Posted by Aros001 (3642 posts) - - Show Bio

Being a better movie doesn't mean it will make more money, we have seen that a lot i mean look at Blade Runner 2049 movie is way better than any cbm but the Audience didn't like it, it's all about audiences appealing nowadays

Well, in the case of franchises and sequels, it makes sense. If there's more of a certain type of movie you want to see more of, having it do well financially will encourage the studios to make more.

Take the Transformers movies. As much as people generally hate the Bay directed ones, they still made a ton of money. Now we have Bumblebee, which is being praised as the shot in the arm the franchise needed. But still it's struggling at the box office, the studio is less encouraged to make more moves like Bumblebee and more like Bay's. With Venom doing better than Spider-Verse, Sony is more encouraged to continue a franchise with Venom than anything Spider-Verse related.

Mind you, I do still think it should be more important to judge whether the movie itself has made a decent profit rather than just how it's doing compared to other movie's profits. I didn't care how much Aquaman made compared to the MCU movies. I just wanted it to do well enough that WB is encouraged to make more DC movies with the same freedom they gave James Wan.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#27 Posted by IndomitableRegal (15839 posts) - - Show Bio

1st Venom movie (plus live action), 1st Aquaman movie (plus live action), 7th Spider-Man movie (plus animated) with an 8th on the way. And keep in mind which films are likely to draw ticket sales from non-comic fans. Plus, I'll be honest, Into the Spider-Verse is a bit overrated.

#28 Posted by Supermanthor (18667 posts) - - Show Bio

It truly is a shame. It deserves a much higher box office.

#29 Posted by StormShadow_X (16646 posts) - - Show Bio

No need to crap on Aquaman and Venom's success lol

Fact is this is why animation in movies isn't as prominent. You think the incredibles would of done as good as it did if it didn't have Nostalgia?

Honestly unless it has Disney on the front whatever the quality it will probably be looked over. though SPider verse is a great movie that deserves better it had clear weaknesses weighting it down from another Spider-man movie.

#30 Posted by ZWarrior (11 posts) - - Show Bio

The world is sooo unfair :((((

#31 Posted by joshua755 (3887 posts) - - Show Bio

But how much was it to make the movie because if they made more than what it cost to make than the movie mad hella money and Sony is doing backflips but it does deserve more though

#32 Posted by hyiena (5322 posts) - - Show Bio

It is already out of the theatre closest to me.

#33 Posted by Dmeans (130 posts) - - Show Bio

It'll be making three times its budget and more. It's a successful film by any measure. Not as big as Aquaman or Venom, but it doesn't need to be.

#34 Posted by Jgames (8143 posts) - - Show Bio

Is an animated movie that does not cater to little kids or a disney/pixar movie lol XD. Ofc it would not make as much money. While average popcorn spectacle are bc average people want stuff to go boom. Why else were transformer movie successful.

Is at least not flopping, but is not making bank.

#35 Edited by juiceboks (24794 posts) - - Show Bio

In addition to what others have said, Aquaman and Venom both had the advantage of star power and build up to garner pre release attention to it. Aquaman and Venom are both generally much more well known than Miles and have starred in various media in the past (some more recent than others), plus Jason Mamoa and Tom Hardy are most certainly more popular than Shameik Moore so branding for those movies is much easier.

#36 Posted by Aros001 (3642 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmeans said:

It'll be making three times its budget and more. It's a successful film by any measure. Not as big as Aquaman or Venom, but it doesn't need to be.

That's a relief. I want Into the Spider-Verse to be seen as a success, mostly so Marvel will let Miles be their teen Spider-Man and let Peter stay as their adult Spider-Man, instead of constantly reverting him back to a year one kid who barely knows what he's doing.

#37 Edited by JasonV80 (244 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I’m kind of salty. Spiderverse and Bumblebee were some of the best “popcorn movies”/superhero type of movies I’ve seen in a while, yet they’re not pulling in as much money as Venom and Aquaman.

I went into Aquaman optimistic, but that movie was....not good. I can’t believe those box office results. Jeez.

#38 Posted by jashro44 (52341 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard it won an award at the golden globe for best animated picture.

#39 Posted by SaintWildcard (21783 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

I heard it won an award at the golden globe for best animated picture.

GODDAMN RIGHT IT DID! It deserved it. It makes Pixar and Disney have to step up their game.