#1 Posted by Aros001 (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I'm not talking about their comic/tv/movie series, I'm just talking about the character themselves.

When it comes to a character you like or used to like, what's the one thing a writer could do to them or have become a part of their character that would almost instantly ruin that character for you and would make you never want to read or watch them again?

For example, for me it's when they give the main hero of the series a massive ego, such as the case with the Ben 10 series. Sure he had an ego when he was 10 but he became more modest and heroic during Alien Force, when he was 15. But the writers brought back the ego and while it was annoying in Ultimate Alien, it was insufferable during Omniverse, which is where I just dropped the series altogether. They just made Ben so damn egotistical and full of himself that it just made him completely unlikable for me.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#2 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (14660 posts) - - Show Bio

Change for the sake of change.

#3 Posted by Revan2424 (4553 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by HeroUp2112 (12374 posts) - - Show Bio

ESPECIALLY when it comes to adding powers to the character.

#5 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (14660 posts) - - Show Bio

@life_without_progress said:

ESPECIALLY when it comes to adding powers to the character.

Well, except for the Flash.

:3

#6 Posted by HeroUp2112 (12374 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6710 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Necromancer76 (1850 posts) - - Show Bio

Just do what George Lucas did to General Grievous: severely weaken a character to make another character look better.

#9 Posted by Tacosheep (329 posts) - - Show Bio

When they never grow or learn from past experiences. Or when they do it is only for the immediate future and then forgotten shortly after it is no longer needed for the story.

#10 Posted by Warlockmage (5770 posts) - - Show Bio

SJW him/her... quickest way for me to lose interest. as soon as Ms. Marvel became Captain Marvel i completely lost interest in both "Captain Marvel" and the new "Ms. Marvel"

#11 Posted by ChomP (685 posts) - - Show Bio

add powers.. grinds my gears,

stupidly amping characters to ridiculous limits (WWH, Wally west, Barry Allen, thanos on the top of my list) absolutely ruins the character and conversely weakening them to make other look good..

stagnant character development (newer learning from mistakes and keeps making the same one over and over)

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#12 Edited by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

Have them act completely out of character or get rid of their character development for no reason.

Lelouch comes to mind for the first and Korra comes to mind for the second. So much potential wasted.

#13 Posted by Aros001 (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

Have them act completely out of character or get rid of their character development for no reason.

Lelouch comes to mind for the first and Korra comes to mind for the second. So much potential wasted.

At least with Korra she improved drastically and consistently in seasons 3 and 4. Apparently the creators were only planning one season originally but then Nick wanted more, even though they'd wrapped things up pretty well in the first season. Not saying that excuse how bad her character was in the beginning of season 2 (because it was really bad). Just giving some context to it.

Likewise, the reasons you listed above are why I hated them giving Ben 10 a giant ego again, because he'd already grown past it when Alien Force started and his 16/17 year old self should not have the same level of maturity as his 10 year old self.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#14 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio
@aros001 said:
@nicksmi56 said:

At least with Korra she improved drastically and consistently in seasons 3 and 4. Apparently the creators were only planning one season originally but then Nick wanted more, even though they'd wrapped things up pretty well in the first season. Not saying that excuse how bad her character was in the beginning of season 2 (because it was really bad). Just giving some context to it.

Likewise, the reasons you listed above are why I hated them giving Ben 10 a giant ego again, because he'd already grown past it when Alien Force started and his 16/17 year old self should not have the same level of maturity as his 10 year old self.

Yeah, I get why it turned out the way it did, but regardless it really turned me off her character, and by the time seasons 3 and 4 came out, it was too little too late for me.

And that just makes me glad I gave up on Alien Force before it got to that point XD

#15 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (14660 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by HeroUp2112 (12374 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Thorthunder98 (4060 posts) - - Show Bio

Let Jason Aaron get hold of them

#19 Edited by Fabricolage (388 posts) - - Show Bio

Making a bad story and putting the characters through it, with or without a change in character or lack thereof.

#20 Edited by Thekillerklok (6327 posts) - - Show Bio

Friendship power speech.

#21 Edited by Rubear (4477 posts) - - Show Bio

SJW them and/or give them to Bendis.

#22 Posted by Toratorn (3270 posts) - - Show Bio

Make them inconsistent in any way, shape of form is painful, but tolerable because of how often that happens. But replacing a character with a black/muslim/sjw/woman whatever version of itself, with or without getting rid of the original, is bound to rustle my jimmies.

#23 Posted by Eto (3075 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear: Hah. Slott is even worse. At least Bendis in his prime had a good/great run on DD, USM, JJ.

But yeah current Bendis....boi

Still, I loathe Slott more.

Ooh and don't forget to add some Quasada.

#24 Posted by RBT (14870 posts) - - Show Bio

Hypocrisy. Immediate dislike.

#25 Posted by johanshieh (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Stupid love interests or relationships, race change, and out of classic look. I don't care how much praise Hipster Batgirl costume got, to me, she always seems out of place standing next to Batfamily or BOP, with most of them wearing tactical armour or Kevlar.

#26 Posted by titing2101 (509 posts) - - Show Bio

with a whisper :)

#27 Posted by just_banter (11435 posts) - - Show Bio

When the main (or a prevalent side) character starts an action or horror series as a coward, and stays as a coward with absolutely no change or brave moments throughout the entire series.

When they act stupidly for the sake of forwarding the plot.

When they don't know how to calm down.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
#28 Posted by Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin (2934 posts) - - Show Bio

Continue to give the old time fans always the same old soup that they want, without changing nothing...

#29 Posted by TinyFord (467 posts) - - Show Bio

Change it to be more diverse. Hulk is now female (no not she hulk)

#30 Posted by katrurius17 (750 posts) - - Show Bio
@tinyford said:

Change it to be more diverse. Hulk is now female (no not she hulk)

????? Have i missed something?

#31 Posted by katrurius17 (750 posts) - - Show Bio

@chomp said:

add powers.. grinds my gears,

stupidly amping characters to ridiculous limits (WWH, Wally west, Barry Allen, thanos on the top of my list) absolutely ruins the character and conversely weakening them to make other look good..

stagnant character development (newer learning from mistakes and keeps making the same one over and over)

#32 Posted by TinyFord (467 posts) - - Show Bio

@katrurius17: yeah bruce banner is no more and jennifer walters isn't called she hulk anymore. She's now simply Hulk.

The same happened with Thor an Iron man and I'm starting to get irritated with it

#33 Posted by CitizenSentry (12123 posts) - - Show Bio

SJW him/her... quickest way for me to lose interest. as soon as Ms. Marvel became Captain Marvel i completely lost interest in both "Captain Marvel" and the new "Ms. Marvel"

#34 Posted by BruceRogers (10099 posts) - - Show Bio

Replacing them for the sake of it and making them job to lesser characters

#35 Edited by katrurius17 (750 posts) - - Show Bio

@tinyford said:

@katrurius17: yeah bruce banner is no more and jennifer walters isn't called she hulk anymore. She's now simply Hulk.

The same happened with Thor an Iron man and I'm starting to get irritated with it

Well damn didn't knew that(except Thor), but it's actually less diverse with Hulk now XD.

#36 Edited by Battle123axe (4476 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear said:

SJW them and/or give them to Bendis.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#37 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (10751 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by LordWhiskers (731 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Edited by those_eyes (17292 posts) - - Show Bio

Replacing them for the sake of it and making them job to lesser characters

#40 Posted by just_sayin (1203 posts) - - Show Bio

During the late 70's and early 80's Marvel virtually destroyed the character of Hank Pym. A guy who was a founding member of the Avengers is to this day, 35+ years later, trying to recover from what they did to him.

1) Make the character look weak. Nothing destroys a character like a villain easily taking him out. Graviton beat Pym and the Wasp with a pencil. Yep. A pencil. This is guy who can grow to the size of cosmic entities and is a super genius, but a throw number 2 pencil at him and he's done for.

No Caption Provided

2) Make him a guy with esteem issues who quits or retires every other issue.

3) Oh and to really destroy his likability throw in some domestic violence. And be sure to bring up that one instance in every issue he ever appears in again.

No Caption Provided

4) And you can also let him create a crazy AI who wants to destroy the world and live in perpetual guilt for it.

I love this character in spite of what Marvel has done to him because he is not really a "hero" but just a guy who wants to help. He's human and made mistakes and he believes in redemption for everyone but himself.

#41 Posted by BlueHope (2659 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Laiks Stake (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Change for the sake of feminism.

#43 Posted by Bardock52 (262 posts) - - Show Bio

Derailment

#44 Posted by zackisme (374 posts) - - Show Bio

Just look at what's happening to Thor these days.

#45 Edited by Druzzie (319 posts) - - Show Bio

@aros001 said:

Now I'm not talking about their comic/tv/movie series, I'm just talking about the character themselves.

When it comes to a character you like or used to like, what's the one thing a writer could do to them or have become a part of their character that would almost instantly ruin that character for you and would make you never want to read or watch them again?

For example, for me it's when they give the main hero of the series a massive ego, such as the case with the Ben 10 series. Sure he had an ego when he was 10 but he became more modest and heroic during Alien Force, when he was 15. But the writers brought back the ego and while it was annoying in Ultimate Alien, it was insufferable during Omniverse, which is where I just dropped the series altogether. They just made Ben so damn egotistical and full of himself that it just made him completely unlikable for me.

Do stuff that is OOC OR put a definitive end to it. Example, Spider-Man recent comic. Geoff John final run on his Green Lantern series.

#46 Posted by KingZod (2289 posts) - - Show Bio

Get them written by Zack Snyder

#47 Posted by TrueMoonchilde (1859 posts) - - Show Bio

Have them make a deal with the devil to undo their marriage.

#48 Posted by Tomkatie (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Take away some of their powers or make them act stupid in order to make side characters relevant.

Looking at you, entire CW Team Flash.

#49 Posted by uugieboogie (11703 posts) - - Show Bio

Aaron or Bendis having anything to do with them