What Is The Difference Between "Remake" and "Reboot"

Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

When it comes to movies, a certain series of films (Planet of the Apes, for example) starts over again if it's about starting all over again or starting fresh for a new generation (or both as they kinda sound alike).

Who out here on CV can list the films they've seen and understand the difference between "Remake" and "Reboot".

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By Dracade102

Remakes are re-imagining's of one single movie, reboots are for a series, I think.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Green Skin

Dracade has it right.    You remake a movie, you reboot a series.     For example Batman Begins was a reboot, any and all Robin Hood movies are remakes.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I never knew there was a difference

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By labarith

The difference is largely that sequels have become big business of late (although "serials" were a regular back when).  The term  "reboot" is mostly applicable now, as with many comic book franchises, companies retain rights only if they keep making movies.  Hence Spiderman REBOOT, Batman REBOOT, Superman REBOOT, Hulk REBOOT, Punisher REBOOT, etc., etc.

DrTTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DrTTD

Officially, a reboot is the restart of a series, whereas a remake is just a single movie that's being done again. 

Then again, as with everything, there are gray areas: For example, what if you're making a single movie, related to another single movie, but they are both based off a series in another medium (such as a comic book)? 

The way I see it is like this: A reboot is either 1) A new interpretation of a series of movies, as distinct from a part of that series, or 2) An adaptation of existing material that is not related to an earlier adaptation. That seems to cover everything.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

Remakes are films that have had a movie before, and you do it again, usually shot for shot, but with minor differences (modernized scripts, actors, etc.) 
- Let Me In was a remake of the Swedish film, Let the Right One In

Reboots are re-imaginations of previous films/franchises. They usually change many details, but keep the big picture intact.  
-Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) is a reboot of Robert England's film of the same name. Both are about a supernatural murderer who attacks via nightmares, but details about the main character and the supporting cast and plot are altered.