Posted by werkudoro (6350 posts) 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: What is the decisive factor to win in a close combat? (35 votes)

Fighting Skill 31%
Sheer Strength 9%
Endurance/Stamina 9%
Pain Tolerance 14%
Preptime 9%
Find the weaknesses and exploit it 14%
Use environment as an advantage 14%

What do you guys think

I need your help to give me some good advice to defend myself against street thugs, Bullies, other scumbags out there

I'm just a skinny little man at 5'7" and after terrible accident now i could barely walk after my worktime is over i usually passing dangerous roads at night.

And please any suggestions but "just call the cops thing" i don't trust them anymore After I was hit by a run I reported that the police laughed at me instead of treated me well.

#1 Posted by godzilla44 (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Buy a taser

#2 Edited by nickzambuto (29288 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're genuinely worried about your safety OP, invest in a weapon and take time to learn how to use it.

Motivation is the most important factor, but if you're outweighed by 50+ pounds and have trouble walking on top of it, you're going to need an extra advantage.

#3 Posted by werkudoro (6350 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: do you mean like a hand gun? That's illegal here. But i do want to buy some.

#4 Posted by nickzambuto (29288 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: do you mean like a hand gun? That's illegal here. But i do want to buy some.

If firearms are illegal, there are other self defense weapons you can look into. The above user mentioned a taser. There's also pepper spray, nobody will want to fight after some of that hits their face. You should look into types of self defense weapons.

#5 Posted by sacredweapons (2147 posts) - - Show Bio

Experience is usually the factor that matters most. But for you just get a weapon. Even a baseball bat is better than nothing.

#6 Posted by jay_z94 (8196 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's pure hand to hand, then fighting skill. But it's always best to use the environment or use a weapon.

#7 Posted by Saberscar223 (4359 posts) - - Show Bio

Pain tolerance because Daredevil is more skilled than punisher but lost to the punisher twice because man his pain tolerance is off the charts

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#8 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

There's some bad ass pepper spray out there but you don't want to be too close or you might get some too. They shoot pretty far though. Cold Steel makes a good one.

There are also self defense flashlights that can temporarily blind people. They are no joke.

I don't think the public can get tasers but you can get a stungun. Read reviews because they can be deceiving. I've been hit with a 100,000 volt one and at best it was annoying. But a 300,000 volt put me on my ass. (This was a long time ago, but there might actually be more zero's on those numbers!)

I live in US and there's usually a lot of issues if you use knives or melee weapons in defense, especially if they find out you're trained with them. Plus they can be taken and used against you, so that's probably not your best bet. Still, it never hurts to carry a knife.

Since you're not shy about this, I will also say there are loud whistles if you're in an area where others are. Pretty useless in BFE though.

#9 Posted by mrmonster (14623 posts) - - Show Bio

Endurance/stamina and pain tolerance. If you ask me, those should have been the same option, because they go pretty much hand in hand.

In a fight, you're probably going to get hit; whether or not you can take the hit and keep going or not is what's important.

#10 Posted by foxerdes (9956 posts) - - Show Bio

If you are little and skinny then basic self-defensce techniques and a taser/pepper gase will work just fine. Nobody will fight back after getting hit with those.

#11 Posted by Rag_man (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no single "decisive factor", but when entering any conflict you want to have as many advantages over your opponent as you can.

#12 Posted by LpnQ (3954 posts) - - Show Bio

Go take some krav maga/muay thai classes. Make sure to do your research before finding a place to train

AND STAY AWAY FROM "KARATE", IT'S COMPLETE MCDOJO BULLSHIT. IT WILL GET YOU KILLED.

6 years thai boxing

4 years wrestling and catch wrestling. Not trying to sound like i'm "Tacticool" or i can kick everyones ass, i hope nobody gets that vibe.

Also what country are you in? There are some services you can call that can help you.

Try not to fight, especially if its more than one guy please you'll get stomped as in they will kick you very hard on the floor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
#13 Posted by deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99 (11593 posts) - - Show Bio

Get a gun anyway.

#14 Edited by Thekillerklok (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

A gun if that is illegal a knife, if that is illegal carry a screwdriver, if that is illegal go for a cane, if a cane is illegal move.

#15 Posted by weavile (290 posts) - - Show Bio

i would say fighting skill plus weapon. For 1v1 at least. If you have to fight a large number: run away and find a gun

#16 Posted by Gotoucanario (2942 posts) - - Show Bio

Speedforce.

#17 Edited by mimisalome (5342 posts) - - Show Bio

The best way to survive from a combat is to avoid engaging in a combat.

So dont look for trouble and live a good, clean, decent and productive life helping others and making friends and connections with good, decent, dependable, and trustworthy people

Next would be extrication tactics and techniques on cases where the trouble is looking for you.

Finally have a long term goal with regards to your personal security... like plan to move and live in a much more safer and peaceful location.

#18 Edited by TJD2814 (506 posts) - - Show Bio

There really isn't one determining factor it varies from situation to situation from individual to individual

Being absolutely incredible in one of these categories isn't going to give you a decisive victory every time

A balanced approach is best when it comes to fighting as it is with so many other things

#19 Posted by BruceRogers (17166 posts) - - Show Bio

@saberscar223: You are missing a lot of important context there....

#20 Posted by werkudoro (6350 posts) - - Show Bio

@lpnq: I get it. I agreed i never like karate I practicing Silat by the way even in my current condition. I know thai boxing is good. I would like to try it sometime

I live in Jakarta (Indonesia) the easiest City in the world to commit a serious crimes. And the top of that law enforcers do not seem to care much about the safety of their citizens. They can be bought, dirty and some of them even controling the crime itself. You know what man, this city slowly turning into Gotham. And i want to be someone like Batman. I'm being serious

#21 Edited by Redsayn (371 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just a skinny little man at 5'7" and after terrible accident now i could barely walk after my worktime is over i usually passing dangerous roads at night.

I'm no expert, but I'd say either fighting skills or the environment. However, personally I'd say be smart. You live in a city, so get a taxi, bus or tram. If you don't want to do that for some reason or another, then I'd say go down the safest road you can: highly populated, well lit, and one that's not known for that much criminal activity.

Merely on the subject of self-defence though, I'd say get a walking stick/rambling stick/cane. It's easy to hold, won't drawn attention and with it it's easy(er) to hit people over the head.

Depending on your local environment and the crime rate though, definitely go with fighting skills. They're always with you, and can't be yanked out of your hand.

Hope this helps :)

#22 Edited by silkyballfro94 (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

Knowledge and experience are the two decisive factors. Both of these are important in handling yourself and how you deal with situations AND fighting/combat itself. I'm guessing you're really tired after work, since you said you can barely walk afterwards. I suggest getting a weapon of some kind to have just in case you ever need it. No, it doesn't have to be a gun. It can be a small knife or baseball bat you carry in the car. Whatever you choose (if you do), make sure to know the laws wherever you live about firearms or knives. There are limitations a lot of times. For example, the length of a blade.

I recommend that if you have the time and willingness, that you start working out or join a boxing gym or mma gym. It is a good investment to your well being and you will learn much.

#23 Posted by werkudoro (6350 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank's alot guys i've got plenty now. You all very helpful.

#24 Posted by darthdeadpool (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

endurance, mindset, will to win and ability to get back up

#25 Posted by ChildoftheAtom (935 posts) - - Show Bio

Umm preparation and using environment of course. If you're first one to a weapon there's your main advantage. That and numbers

#26 Posted by AngryHulks (3735 posts) - - Show Bio

Get a concealed carry permit, a small handgun is the best self-defense tool, even expert martial artists admitted this.

If you can't get a gun in your jurisdiction, then go for pepper spray or pocket knife, the latter is legal in most developed countries. It's not as effective as gun, but a much, much better deterrence than nothing.

If tools are not an option, then go for martial arts.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is the most effective defense against one-on-one fight. It's very practical too, even novice Jiu-Jitsu practitioner has some chance of subduing seasoned traditional martial artists.

If you faced more than one opponent, the best advice is to run away, martial art's effectiveness in real life is more limited than you think. But if want to try anyway, go for any form of boxing, a well-placed punch will knock someone out good, even if they're not a professional boxer.

#27 Posted by the_stegman (40135 posts) - - Show Bio

All of the above if you're John Wick

Loading Video...

#28 Posted by Pipxeroth (9120 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no 'decisive factor', everything plays a role. How hard you hit, how much you can take, how fast you can move, how many techniques you know, they're all important factors. If I had to pick one single thing from your list as what is best to defeat people who are physically more imposing than you and/or have weapons, it would be either using your environment or exploiting weaknesses. As just a general answer to what's the best way to defend yourself, something like pepper spray is the best option depending on what the laws are like where you live. Just point at their face and hold it down, and you've pretty much won the fight.

#29 Posted by RBT (27128 posts) - - Show Bio

Believe me, even a little bit of combat training can take you a long way. I am speaking from second hand experience.

#30 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

Believe me, even a little bit of combat training can take you a long way. I am speaking from second hand experience.

I sure don't want to mess with you.

#31 Edited by RBT (27128 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:
@rbt said:

I sure don't want to mess with you.

You mean you don't want to mess with my friend who has very little training in krav maga and once took down a guy twice his size. I have no training to speak of. Except for youtube videos.

#32 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: YouTube videos are OP. Movies more so. I once killed three men in a bar, with a pencil. And I have no formal training.

And Krav Maga is pretty shit when put up against other martial arts.

#33 Posted by RBT (27128 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:

@rbt:

And Krav Maga is pretty shit when put up against other martial arts.

What are the odds that the guy you just insulted is a boxer? Pretty slim.

YouTube videos are OP. Movies more so. I once killed three men in a bar, with a pencil. And I have no formal training.

Surprising. I wouldn't have guessed you are old enough to drink.

#34 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: Let's meet up and fight IRL.

#35 Posted by RBT (27128 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:

@rbt: Let's meet up and fight IRL.

I don't think we even live in same hemisphere.

#36 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: Why are you making excuses? And assumptions.

#37 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: I'm gonna find your friend and kick the shit out of him.

#38 Posted by RBT (27128 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:

@rbt: Why are you making excuses? And assumptions.

I chickened out when you challenged me in CS GO. What did you think was going to happen here?

#39 Posted by RBT (27128 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:

I'll pay to watch that happen. He is an asshole.

#40 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:
@lubub55 said:

Then don't be friends with him. I, for one, am an incredibly nice guy with a genius-level IQ. (Seriously.) Let's be pals and double-team him.

#41 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt: Please respond to this now. You're one comment off from filling up my notifications alone.

#42 Posted by RBT (27128 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:
@rbt said:
@lubub55 said:

Then don't be friends with him. I, for one, am an incredibly nice guy with a genius-level IQ. (Seriously.) Let's be pals and double-team him.

He'll probably kick both our asses, but alright.

#43 Posted by RBT (27128 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:

@rbt: Please respond to this now. You're one comment off from filling up my notifications alone.

55bubul.

#44 Posted by lubub55 (12875 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:
@lubub55 said:
@rbt said:
@lubub55 said:

He'll probably kick both our asses, but alright.

You may be a pussy, but I am not. I'll take this guy down worse than MCU Captain America would beat down CW Green Arrow.

And congrats!
And congrats!