what is the best comics you ever read & why

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Hi guys/gals I have been gone for a while was and I was thinking what is the best comics you ever read & why ?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

For Me it was The Protectors from Malibu Comics by R.A. Jones in 1992. Now I know there better comics out their Like Sandman or Watchmen and like and those are truly Awesome , but the The Protectors for is my starting point of getting into comics & comic book collecting . My reason this my vote for the comic I every read is ,because it was fun, it was a good story not chucked full of SJW garbage & Mary Sues ,I feel comics meant to be fun read and something to be looked forward to. So if feel the way I feel let me know what is the best comics you ever read & why ?

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The cosmic spiderman story arc

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By phisigmatau

incredible thread

never heard of the protectors but art looks neat

Batman Year One
Ultimate Spiderman (Bendis)
Astonishing X-men (Whedon)
Thor Alone against the Celestials
The Ultimates (First couple TPB)

Loved these series because they got the essence of the characters right.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Dc

All star superman

Blackest night

Batman hush

Batman long halloween

Marvel

Hickman avengers

Thor By W Simpson

Planet Hulk

Annihilation

Killua42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven’t read too many comics, but from what I have: The Infinity Gauntlet. This was the most epic... stuff I ever saw when I read it. I’ve read it many, many times. The art is fantastic, the story is great, and the fights are fantastic. Thanos is my favorite superhero villain of all time, and I loved him in this story. 11/10 will definitely read again.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Adventure time vol 7 by Ryan North. While lots of the comic listed so far are indeed great, there just something about reading a comic book that you have no expectation of being amazing. While I enjoy Ryan North run alot, I never would have guess the last arc to be absolute perfect. From the comedy, tragedy, and using all the previous comic and having them play a role in the final arc written by Ryan North, it came perfectly. It also confirmed Bubbline, granted via hidden key word, but I mean it was still obvious they were a thing. The villain was fun and and surprisingly menacing especially with that one moment that made me go "WTF". Just absolute love it.

I guess superhero wise, maybe Batman Year One. Seeing Bruce Wayne become Batman and his journey alongside Jim Gordon was a great journey and parallel. It been made into a straight animated adaptation, with lots of Batman movies including Nolan Batman Begins taking some inspiration from it. I do enjoy The Dark Knight Return, but that art is ugly AF XD. Also I just think the Superman part is a bit clunky in the beginning personally.

Also Manga wise, I mean Negima is my teenage favorite with it having everything from a compelling main character that also serve a bit of a self insert at times, while having wonderful female characters that were also sexy and had lots of fanservice. With lots of comedy, various different shonen action from martial art, sci-fi wizardry, just everything they can throw. Maybe is not as perfect as I remember considering the ending was lackluster, with the real actual ending being in the sequel with another main character that is thrown haphazardly. But still love it.

But My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness just kicks me in the heart with how relatable it is. While the art does look crappy, it does go well with her story and her journey of overcoming depression, anxiety, low-self esteem, discovering her sexuality etc. Its just a heart wrenching, but satisfying story base on the author real life.

I Kill Giant is also a favorite of mine, but I do have to reread it.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Batman Long Halloween

All Star : Superman

Sandman

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

All I see here are average comics. I would say it's hard to choose a best. But what makes a good comics the story and he art. I would say I enjoyed the most:

• 100 bullets <- The comics I read the fastest
  • Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson <- probably the best Super-hero run ever
  • Punk Rock & Trailer Parks + My Friend Dahmer + Trashed <- very unique
  • Hip-hop Familly Tree <- very well told history of hip-hop
  • Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Don Rosa Library <- wonderfull art and stories. Also his telling of the youth of Uncle Scrooge is brilliant.
  • Transmetropolitan <- so off style that it's awsome
  • Sin City <- the black and red art goes so well with this dark thriller serie
  • Scalped <- It seems so real and plausible
TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Mike Carey's Lucifer run.

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Loves, Man Kills.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GXrevs06

Brubaker's Captain America run. Comics can get so confusing and messy with its structure and it can be very hard to follow a story arc taking place across 5 or 6 different books. Brubaker told a very self contained story. His run was new reader friendly, introduced a lot of new CA lore and it had consistent art(I loved Steve Epping's art) from start to finish. It is so jarring when comic books switch artists every other issue. It is one of the main reason I lean toward manga

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and Johns' Aquaman and Green Lantern runs are honourable mentions

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Come because it has everything you want from a comic book story and it excels in all areas.

cant believe i missed this one

Combo-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Combo-Man

Peter David's run on Incredible Hulk in the 90s

No Caption Provided

Marvel Comics Presents also from the 90s

No Caption Provided

the first 50 issues of Thunderbolts vol 1 were great

No Caption Provided

and so many other great comics over the years. Legends of the Dark Knight, Busiek & Perez Avengers, Waid & Wieringo's the Flash, Kesel & Grummet's Superboy, Louise Simonson's run on New Mutants, Claremont's Uncanny X-Men, Nicieza & Kubert's run on X-Men. Bone, Love and Rockets, Arthur Adam's Gumby comics, and Monkeyman and O'Brien, Claremont & Buscema's Wolverine, Hama's Wolverine. there's a really long list of comics that I would consider among the best.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The death of mar-vell and punisher max come to mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5789e65ebaa
deactivated-5d5789e65ebaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preacher

Fables

All Star Superman

Annihilation

The Death of Mar-Vell

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The usual greats are and will be named, so I'll name another story, one of the very best I have ever read and often goes under the radar.

• Kang Dynasty
fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valorknight: true there are few "Average Comics" , but the point is "what is the best comics you ever read & why" so I agree with you on that

rahiem9123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planetary Warren Ellis

Invincible kirkman

X-factor Peter david

Hellblazer garth ennis

Daredevil Bendis/EdBrubaker

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jb681131:

All I see here are average comics.

A bit hypocritical based on the list you gave.

Because what I proposed is Average ???

It's not because lots of people have seen and liked something that it is not an average thing.

Look at for exemple the movies Batman: The Dark Knight or Guardians of the Galaxy or Avatar. People praise them, but in reality they've won not prestigious awards. Even worse, they were not in the selection for prestigious awards.

ovy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superhero comic

Batman: The Killing Joke - you can be the happiest man on Earth, but it's enough for one bad day, one really bad day, to turn you into the worst of mankind, and this story shows exactly this with Joker's "backstory" and the way he want to break Gordon.

Comic in general

Neil Gaiman's Sandman - I'm now very far into it, but this comic is fantastic. Seeing Dream's story, accompanied by some surreal artwork at times, is quite a journey.

Manga

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni - what starts as a homage to Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None slowly becomes a love letter and meta commentary on the mystery genre and storytelling itself

fmen2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: that is also true as well, this more of what you as the reader enjoyed and that your looking forward to

Wolviesnikt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Top 3

Claremont's X-Men run.

Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

Miller's Daredevil.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

y the last man

saga

wicked and divine

deadly class

paper girls

honorable mention to Die, only 4 issues in but it's fantastic

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:
@valorknight said:

@jb681131:

All I see here are average comics.

A bit hypocritical based on the list you gave.

Because what I proposed is Average ???

It's not because lots of people have seen and liked something that it is not an average thing.

Look at for exemple the movies Batman: The Dark Knight or Guardians of the Galaxy or Avatar. People praise them, but in reality they've won not prestigious awards. Even worse, they were not in the selection for prestigious awards.

That's an utterly ridiculous argument.

It's something that is used in sports all the damn time and it's bollocks. Only one team/book/movie/whatever can ultimately win. Not winning, especially when the win is opinion based, doesn't take away how good or bad the thing in question is.

There are some truly amazing comics or seies of comics being named in this thread. Some I don't agree with, some I think are being looked at from their impact on the industry rather than their actual quality, and some I feel are as good as you can get in regards to their story telling.

Just because you personally don't like them doesn't take away that other people do. Nor does it mean your opinion isn't valid but you'll have to do more than just claim everything here is average and act like that's the be-all, end-all of the discussion.