What is one thing you dislike about marvel/dc comics that anime/manga does better?

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dmnb2wavy

You can answer that same question in reverse Btw also

im personally not a fan of long running stories that go in for too long so you can imagine how comics affect me plus they are inconsistent a lot.

For the opposite I think comics tend to handle power escalation better. For instance you can look at batman and look at naruto and minor characters are still going to be relevant later on tho this is mostly for shonen.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of power progression and consistency within power levels.

As for reverse, superhero western comic usually have more mature stories than japanese counterparts.

Avatar image for deactivated-60f4d10418f1d
deactivated-60f4d10418f1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing, manga, and anime are very emo.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scale and consistency, as well as actual changes to the status quo and lasting character development.

On the reverse, Comics tend to be more mature and bombastic, with more satisfying moments of nostalgia and long-standing character interaction and they have the capability to have deeper, more complex and more intertwined stories and established long reaching continuity. Depending on what you like, better art as well.

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaoron said:

As for reverse, superhero western comic usually have more mature stories than japanese counterparts.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In general, I'm not interest in manga/anime because I don't find the characters, humor, pacing, art, character designs interesting, but one of the reasons I prefer Dragon Ball to any Marvel/DC story line is because there's character progression and there's an easier time communicating interest in the characters since there's a single saga that's easier to use as a reference.

I've been trying to come up with characters to write for the "Who are your top 10 favorite Superheroes" thread, but I can't even come up with a top 3 despite liking so many DC/Marvel comics because I don't remember who the characters are anymore.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 killbilly  Moderator

More variety, less affected by "progressive" politics.

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dmnb2wavy

@gaoron said:

Eh in some cases I actually value the lack of power progression Or at least large power progression. The only reason it’s a problem tho is because comics are long running in the first place.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Supermanforever

bryaN michael bendis

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Continuity. You can follow your average manga pretty easily whereas with Marvel/DC comic books you've just got to accept a lot of times you won't know every character or plot device the story brings up unless you're a really dedicated fan.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Penguin-Dust

Genre variety within the mainstream publishers. With Marvel, DC and the larger indies it’s mostly costumed superhero with the occasional horror/occult comic sprinkled in. Manga offers more genres to sample, I believe.

Also, I have never laughed as heartily from a mainstream comic book as I have from several manga including Beelzebub, OPM and SKET Dance. There aren’t a lot of comedic Western comics from the big publishers. I don’t find comic book Deadpool funny at all. Same is true of comic Harley Quinn, but I enjoy both characters. I like them, but they don’t make me laugh. Smirk, at best. They’re much funnier in other media.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 takenstew22  Moderator

Things that anime does better: continuity and power levels.

Things that Marvel/DC does better: characters and story (most of the time).

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Finality. Yoshihiro Togashi ended Yu Yu Hakusho because he felt hes done everything he needed to with the characters and that they completed their arcs

-Longer and more detailed fights. Most fights only last no more than 2 issues in comics

-Fun moments. Things just arent taken as seriously all the time in manga

Avatar image for deactivated-5f972343be675
deactivated-5f972343be675

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

diversity, variety in genre, comics are still dominated by superheroes,

comics stories & characters are often too inconsistent & hardly have any progression,

lately comics have been influenced by politics & SJW way too much, it's just become hilarious.

VNs & mangas have far better Art then most, if not all comics

unoriginal / dull names : Reverse Flash, Negative Flash, Dr. Doom, Regulator Thanos , Superman/Batman 1 million ,

Avatar image for captain_inverse
captain_inverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Consistent character writing ESPECIALLY now

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost everything. Only things I see is that comics are more mature (which becomes irrelevant mostly when we talk about seinen manga), consistent power levels for a story, and are usually shorter in a way.

Everything else Manga wins. Not even close too. I've read some of the critically acclaimed comics (The Killing Joke, Gwen Stacy's death issue, etc.) I constantly look for lists that say "best comic issues/stories ever" and none really captivated me as much as series like Berserk or Kingdom, and to the anime side Steins;Gate or Code Geass. I guess I'm just not built for comics because no matter how many times I try I can't get into it. I have been meaning for some time to read Saga because that looks pretty epic.