What is cinematic timing?

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By death4bunnies  Moderator

Poll What is cinematic timing? (16 votes)

I agree cinematic timing is a thing 94%
No 6%

Ive seen this conversation come up a lot recently so I’d like to try to explain my understanding of cinematic timing.

I believe it’s when 2 fast characters with similar speed fight eachother at seemingly human speed so the audience can see what’s going on.
——

Ill use Raimi Spider-Man as a example.

He sees humans in slow motion.

No Caption Provided

They show flashes punch in slo mo from Pete’s perspective.. this is backed by WOG.

No Caption Provided

“Everything and everyone slows to a crawl”

I have tons of these feats.. I’ll put them under the spoiler block.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I have more for Tobey, Andrew, and Tom

——-
So pretty solidly Spidey can see humans in slo motion… but why doesn’t he see Goblin, Ock, Lizard, etc etc in slow motion?

Id say it’s because they all have explicitly enhanced speed.

—-

We see every stat of goblins is maxed out on the oscorp computers.

No Caption Provided

Agility maxed out, reflexes maxed out, synaptic relays maxed out.

——

Ock has a ton of speed statements.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Speed of thought, Machine gun speed, Blur speed.

——

Lizard has enhanced speed.

No Caption Provided

etc etc etc.

I don’t think fighting villains with explicitly enhanced speed takes away from seeing humans in slow motion(or any other speed feat) even if the fights look kinda like human speed.

They do play with speeding up and slowing down the fight scenes.. like when Spidey hits the glass we get a few frames of slo motion.

No Caption Provided

The previs on this scene looked pretty neat as well.

No Caption Provided

Link to previs reel.

So sometimes they make backround details like glass fall slow, but sometimes they don’t.. they cheat a bit to make for a better audience experience.. the Spider-Man creators explain this.

No Caption Provided

They cheat things like gravity a bit, so you never really see Spidey frozen in the air waiting for gravity to pull him down, and its the same across most mediums..without cheating things like gravity a bit flash would run off the earth, or have to wait for his foot to fall… the physics get weird so they cheat it a bit for viewer experience.

And that’s what I think this is all about, viewer experience, it wouldn’t be a very good movie if everyone was always in blur speed, or with too much slo mo.. they still have to tell a story and make a movie here.

I don’t think fighting villains with explicitly enhanced speed takes away from statuing humans even if the fight between people with enhanced speed sorta looks human speed.
——

TDLR: Sometimes creators make 2 people of relative speed look like they are fighting at human speed so the audience can follow the action.

• 
Belando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a thing. But we can't just throw it in where we think it fits or to suit a narrative.

kataraaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cinematic timing is the easiest way to show speed disparities between characters, the easiest way to show a character moving faster than another is by having them move at blur speeds or showing the world being slowed down in their perspective

The easiest way to show Spider-Man being faster than humans is by showing Flash’s punches moving in slow-mo in his POV, DBZ uses blur speed all the time, it doesn’t mean when you can track their movements that they’re all of a sudden slow, nobody wants to watch two blurs bouncing off each other

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its just a way of cutting characters with superhuman speed feats and intent some slack when they’re outside of comics or novels since film makers will obviously have to cut corners to make for an entertaining film. Fast characters won’t always be given gratuitous slow mo or be shown as blurs.

ILS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While this is reasonable and happens, there are times where it doesn't. Sometimes faster characters are just shown moving slower than their top speeds. Sometimes a character will move like a blur/slow-mo in a situation or against an opponent and then, in the exact same situation, move like a normal human. Not just visually slower but they just quantifiably move slower despite the fact they had moved faster in the same situation.

If you want a classic example, look at SW EP1. At the start of the movie Kenobi uses a burst of blur speed to go down a corridor. Then at the end of the movie he very slowly runs across a catwalk to save his master from being killed. Same situation but for whatever reason doesn't use his previously shown speed.

So all I would really add is that it's very important to quantify when speed is being used and how much speed is being used. You need to work out whatever internal rules are being used for showing speed in that medium/verse. You can't always take it for granted top speeds are being used.

Azronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ils said:

If you want a classic example, look at SW EP1. At the start of the movie Kenobi uses a burst of blur speed to go down a corridor. Then at the end of the movie he very slowly runs across a catwalk to save his master from being killed. Same situation but for whatever reason doesn't use his previously shown speed.

Loading Video...

Eredin12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its just a way of cutting characters with superhuman speed feats and intent some slack when they’re outside of comics or novels since film makers will obviously have to cut corners to make for an entertaining film. Fast characters won’t always be given gratuitous slow mo or be shown as blurs.

Cheth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ils said:

While this is reasonable and happens, there are times where it doesn't. Sometimes faster characters are just shown moving slower than their top speeds. Sometimes a character will move like a blur/slow-mo in a situation or against an opponent and then, in the exact same situation, move like a normal human. Not just visually slower but they just quantifiably move slower despite the fact they had moved faster in the same situation.

So all I would really add is that it's very important to quantify when speed is being used and how much speed is being used. You need to work out whatever internal rules are being used for showing speed in that medium/verse. You can't always take it for granted top speeds are being used.

Up to everything here

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 death4bunnies  Moderator

Bump?