Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

easy question...

What do people consider canon information for characters to use in battle threads?

I've heard several people use 'alternate realities' when talking about Marvel characters and using that information as Canon, but then dismissing the same information when it's used from DC characters.

this basically came from an argument about "leadership" where it was stated that Kingdom Come isn't canon for DC, well since Kingdom Come is now "officially" Earth 20 (?) in the DCU continuity, does that not make it as "canon" any the separate universes in Marvel?

M

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Canon is basically the "PRIMARY" world in which all of the heroes of the chosen title reside. For instance, the Marvel heroes primary world is 616. While they may have "What if's?" and "Alternate futures" what happens there really has no effect on them. Unless of course, they themselves actually GO into an alt future or something.

zero edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By zero edge

Yeah that pretty much sums it up.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

so is Kingdom Come canon as it's an "Alternate Future" where the "Earth Prime" characters have traveled to, and the "KC characters" have traveled to "Earth Prime"?

M

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WARLOCK2792

Methos says:

"so is Kingdom Come canon as it's an "Alternate Future" where the "Earth Prime" characters have traveled to, and the "KC characters" have traveled to "Earth Prime"? M"
Sorry, I'm really not trying to confuse you, but that would go into more of a "Possible" future. Like, some stuff that the characters experience may or may not take place due to time possibly being altered.
The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_Martian

Methos says:

"easy question... What do people consider canon information for characters to use in battle threads? I've heard several people use 'alternate realities' when talking about Marvel characters and using that information as Canon, but then dismissing the same information when it's used from DC characters. this basically came from an argument about "leadership" where it was stated that Kingdom Come isn't canon for DC, well since Kingdom Come is now "officially" Earth 20 (?) in the DCU continuity, does that not make it as "canon" any the separate universes in Marvel? M"
It would be canon if you talked about the character from that universe. Like if I was talking about AoA Sabertooth, stuff 616(main marvel universe) sabertooth has done has no say on him and vise versa. The one thing I believe is datable are crossovers. I say unless it directly effects one of the universe it isn't canon. Like Marvel vs DC doesn't count but JLA/Avengers does.
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Methos

so Green Lantern Vs Silver Surfer oneshot does count as canon because it had lasting effects on the universe?

M

Avatar image for phoenixsouvenir
The_Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Absolute

Yeah but now with all the Ultimates and Heroes reborn storylines etc, canon is harder to define. As far as I'm concerned if it happened in an official (logo'ed DC, Marvel, Dark Horse,) comic or during official licensing (non-spoof) as in a movie or tv series then as far as Battles go, it's canon.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Martian

Methos says:

"so Green Lantern Vs Silver Surfer oneshot does count as canon because it had lasting effects on the universe? M"
If it had a lasting effect on the universe then I say yes.
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Methos

Nobody says:

"f it had a lasting effect on the universe then I say yes."

it did lol

M

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Martian

Methos says:

"Nobody says:
"f it had a lasting effect on the universe then I say yes."
it did lol M "
Oh yeah? What was the lasting effect? JLA/Avengers did thats why I count it.
Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Methos

specifically it dealt with the destruction of OA (Homeworld of the Green Lanterns) and how Parallax's power affected the universe...

it was also the first "hint" of the actual Marvel Vs DC crossover which was shown at the end of the one shot :D

M

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Martian

Methos says:

"specifically it dealt with the destruction of OA (Homeworld of the Green Lanterns) and how Parallax's power affected the universe... it was also the first "hint" of the actual Marvel Vs DC crossover which was shown at the end of the one shot :D M"
Oh yeah? Cool. JLA/Avengers had the cosmic egg that appeared in JLA later. And I read somewhere that the Crime Syndicate of Amerika(spelling?) universe was destroyed after the same crossover.
Avatar image for alexander_anderson
Alexander Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do either Marvel or DC have specific canon policies? If so it might be helpful to put them up permanently so people don't cite non-canon material.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By speedlgt

PhoenixSouvenir says:

"Yeah but now with all the Ultimates and Heroes reborn storylines etc,canon is harder to define. As far as I'm concerned if it happened in anofficial (logo'ed DC, Marvel, Dark Horse,) comic or during officiallicensing (non-spoof) as in a movie or tv series then as far as Battlesgo, it's canon."

This Is how I view cannon, and I think its kinda of silly to say "this is not cannon" as if to say it never was created by the book publisher, which of couse is just silly since Marvel & DC created it for God sakes..

someone also stated that just because it occured in comics (written by writers) that that does not count as examples of battles because it happend in comics which isnt "real" which I think is just insane because arent we all here because of comics. and the info we have on all heros is from comics!

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Phorqe

Alternate realities shouldn't be considered canon in battles, but it could bring up things that are at least possible in the normal continuity. It should be used for discussion but not be the entire basis of the arguement.

It's even hard to define what is canon in the main universes, since so many writers ret-con old stories.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By speedlgt

Phorqe says:

"Alternate realities shouldn't be considered canon in battles, but itcould bring up things that are at least possible in the normalcontinuity. It should be used for discussion but not be the entirebasis of the arguement.It's even hard to define what is canon in the main universes, since somany writers ret-con old stories."

I dissagree about the battles. If marvel or dc published than it provides an example of what can occur as stated by the heros creators themselves.

Avatar image for phoenixsouvenir
The_Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Absolute

speedlgt says:

"Phorqe says:
"Alternate realities shouldn't be considered canon in battles, but it could bring up things that are at least possible in the normal continuity. It should be used for discussion but not be the entire basis of the arguement. It's even hard to define what is canon in the main universes, since so many writers ret-con old stories."
I dissagree about the battles. If marvel or dc published than it provides an example of what can occur as stated by the heros creators themselves. "

Precisely. "Canon" should be used when dealing with issues concerning character history and/or story lines, but not powers and abilities.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Martian

speedlgt says:

"Phorqe says:
"Alternate realities shouldn't be considered canon in battles, but it could bring up things that are at least possible in the normal continuity. It should be used for discussion but not be the entire basis of the arguement. It's even hard to define what is canon in the main universes, since so many writers ret-con old stories."
I dissagree about the battles. If marvel or dc published than it provides an example of what can occur as stated by the heros creators themselves. "
The reason why alternate realities/futures shouldn't apply is cause they are alternate. Something in that story has change these characters making them different than their other counterparts. Look at Namor in ultimate universe, he can control water. So if we were talking about main marvel universe, I can't say Namor uses water to turn Torch's flame off cause the ultimate one can. That is why alternate realities don't count. Skills, experinences, and powers change the battle and they all differ through different universe and realities.
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Canon is what you think you know to be fact until a writer comes along low on ideas, high on ambition, and pummels your perspective into a pulp.