What If A Single Mom Became A Hero ?

Avatar image for superdragonfly9
SuperDragonfly9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What if a single mom was in a accident and developed super powers becoming a super hero and had a babysitter watch her kids while she fought crime ? Would it be a incredible series since so many could relate to her lifestyle ? Having two kids a boy and a girl she would have rough dates and would have to keep her identity a secret.

It could be more developed into the story with a great origin as well. What do you guys think is this a goldmine ?

It doesn't matter what color or race the woman is.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I forget, was the female Doctor Light a single mother? I think I heard that she was.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be hard chasing criminals in a mini van.

Shazam99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that could definitely be interesting. I actually can't think of an example, so if there's not one, I can't believe no one's done that yet. I think lifestyle/personality diversity in comic characters is just as important as race diversity.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MeanAndGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only works if she's a government-sponsored hero with a way of protecting her child and guardians picked out if she dies in the line of duty, otherwise it seems irresponsible. Same with single dads. Think of the children!

Empirical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are already superhero single moms and dads, there is even a superhero teen mom, her name is Rockelle and she is Icon's partner.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sounds like a FreeForm movie maybe starring Melissa Joan Hart or Charisma Charpenter. I'd watch it.

Avatar image for captaincanada37
CaptainCanada37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

I forget, was the female Doctor Light a single mother? I think I heard that she was.

Yeah, I think she has a boy and a girl. That's a good point.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She would be a bad hero thats for sure.

Either that or she would a neglectful mom. Can't really do both especially if kids are young. Maybe she can be a milf. That's pretty close to being a hero.

She would have a rocky and small relationship with her kids as well.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't been following Spider-Woman lately but isn't Jessica a single mom?

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I guess it could be cool. I don't think it would be "relatable" to the average comic book reader, as I'm sure the average comic book reader is not a single mother.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be hard chasing criminals in a mini van.

Lmaooo

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HeroUp2112

I was going to bypass where I think that GOOD single moms and dads are pretty much heroes in my book already, but that can't be said too much.

I can see this being a good story actually though it might work better as a limited series or as a supporting character. I can see most comics fans getting bored with the idea before long.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

Has she even been in the New 52 since it started? I can't find anything on her info page.

Given that both Marvel and DC want to diversify you'd think DC would actually use one of their Asian characters whose superpower is not kung-fu.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HeroUp2112

@aros001 said:
@captaincanada37 said:
@aros001 said:

Has she even been in the New 52 since it started? I can't find anything on her info page.

Given that both Marvel and DC want to diversify you'd think DC would actually use one of their Asian characters whose superpower is not kung-fu.

lol

CramAndman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to bypass where I think that GOOD single moms and dads are pretty much heroes in my book already, but that can't be said too much.

I can see this being a good story actually though it might work better as a limited series or as a supporting character. I can see most comics fans getting bored with the idea before long.

I also think it's a good story. In my opinion, what makes it good is the moral question: Is it morally right to place your life in danger for no pay, if you're a single parent with 2 kids?

Personally, I think it's morally wrong for policeman, firefighters, and soldiers to place their lives in jeopardy if they are single parents. And that's for pay. To do so for no money at all, would be reckless, irresponsible, and would require a really good psychological explanation. What do you think?

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramandman: I agree. Your kids should really be your priority unless they are 18+. Then you can boot them out of the house

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:

I also think it's a good story. In my opinion, what makes it good is the moral question: Is it morally right to place your life in danger for no pay, if you're a single parent with 2 kids?

Personally, I think it's morally wrong for policeman, firefighters, and soldiers to place their lives in jeopardy if they are single parents. And that's for pay. To do so for no money at all, would be reckless, irresponsible, and would require a really good psychological explanation. What do you think?

Funny you should ask. I was a soldier (in combat arms no less) with two very young sons (part of the last several years overseas during wartime), and I had to ask myself some hard questions along these lines. It basically came down to this.

Are there enough childless people out there who are of a mind to protect and serve to fill the rosters of people needed? A quick check will tell you no. Also, who will protect and defend my family if not me? Granted, I wasn't a single parent at the time, and I don't know if I'd have been logistically ABLE to have been a non garrison soldier with two small children so I don't exactly know what I'd have done under those circumstances. However, (as bad as my ex wife WAS) she'd still have been able to care for my children) so I just don't know. I'd probably have to say yes I'd have stayed in if I'd been able to.

Power and responsibility and all that. It's not just for comic books. Still kind of sucks though.

YoungThug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would get boring after a few issues.

CramAndman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramandman said:
@heroup2112 said:

Funny you should ask. I was a soldier (in combat arms no less) with two very young sons (part of the last several years overseas during wartime), and I had to ask myself some hard questions along these lines. It basically came down to this.

Are there enough childless people out there who are of a mind to protect and serve to fill the rosters of people needed? A quick check will tell you no. Also, who will protect and defend my family if not me? Granted, I wasn't a single parent at the time, and I don't know if I'd have been logistically ABLE to have been a non garrison soldier with two small children so I don't exactly know what I'd have done under those circumstances. However, (as bad as my ex wife WAS) she'd still have been able to care for my children) so I just don't know. I'd probably have to say yes I'd have stayed in if I'd been able to.

Power and responsibility and all that. It's not just for comic books. Still kind of sucks though.

I specifically asked you, because you had previously shared that you were a soldier. I didn't know you had kids. Thank you for your service, btw. I'm always in awe of people who live up to their ideals. I definitely agree with the notion that with great power must come great responsibility. Someone has to step up. I'd love to hear more about what motivated your service and what events inspired your values, if you were open to sharing!

I don't have a problem with a parent serving in the Military as long as they have a co-parent/co-guardian to step up and take on the responsibility of rearing their children. I do have trouble with the notion of potentially leaving a child parent-less. I come at it from the opposite POV than you. I lost my mother early and was left with a somewhat narcissistic and abusive father. Bad as he was, he was always responsible enough to be there when it mattered, even if what he had to give was...limited. Having someone is better than having no one, unless the someone is a total nightmare. Being alone in the world is one of the scariest things to have to deal with, especially for a child.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

They've done it before with Kimiyo Hoshi and Julia Carpenter

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, is Jessica Drew technically a single mother who is a super-hero.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:
@cramandman said:
@heroup2112 said:

I specifically asked you, because you had previously shared that you were a soldier. I didn't know you had kids. Thank you for your service, btw. I'm always in awe of people who live up to their ideals. I definitely agree with the notion that with great power must come great responsibility. Someone has to step up. I'd love to hear more about what motivated your service and what events inspired your values, if you were open to sharing!

I don't have a problem with a parent serving in the Military as long as they have a co-parent/co-guardian to step up and take on the responsibility of rearing their children. I do have trouble with the notion of potentially leaving a child parent-less. I come at it from the opposite POV than you. I lost my mother early and was left with a somewhat narcissistic and abusive father. Bad as he was, he was always responsible enough to be there when it mattered, even if what he had to give was...limited. Having someone is better than having no one, unless the someone is a total nightmare. Being alone in the world is one of the scariest things to have to deal with, especially for a child.

I think all this is probably why this concept could work in the hands of a good writer. Great responsibility vs. the greatest responsibility with the parent struggling with what is truly the right thing to do, not the mention how the kid(s) would fell about their mother either abandoning them to do the right thing or putting them above all else while there are people suffering because of the hero's inaction.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:
@cramandman said:
@heroup2112 said:
@cramandman said:
@heroup2112 said:

I think all this is probably why this concept could work in the hands of a good writer. Great responsibility vs. the greatest responsibility with the parent struggling with what is truly the right thing to do, not the mention how the kid(s) would fell about their mother either abandoning them to do the right thing or putting them above all else while there are people suffering because of the hero's inaction.

Exactly my thinking.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramandman:

I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. I can very much understand your position on potentially leaving a child alone, and I'll reiterate that I wouldn't have left my children with no one if something had happened to me. If not my ex wife (not a great choice but still), or my mother. However, the stars aligned for good and ill (odd but true) that I wasn't able to stay in the Army and I got divorced and I got custody of my children (again, my ex wasn't the best). Fortunately, the choice was out of my hands. Some things worked out poorly but others worked out well, so I guess some things really do happen for a reason I guess.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd probably be something in my pull list.

(If its concept was executed well, obviously.)

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By destinyman75
Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds kinda dumb if she's a single mom why would she be fighting crime if something happens to her she esstienaly screws her kids over basically neglecting her kids for what purpose? Single parents jobs are to protect and care for their own children not other people the concept just makes no sense and wouldnt sell as a comic

NewWorldOrder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't that currently what Spider-Woman is?