#1 Posted by waezi2 (19810 posts) - - Show Bio

Tell us about something that you didn't liked about Miller's Daredevil comics.

I will go first:

I didn't really care that much for Elektra. I had a feeling that she was only introduced in order to give Matt a tragic love experience. I didn't feel for Matt when she died in his arms because I had no idea why Matt would care about her at all.

#2 Posted by waezi2 (19810 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by TVC-15 (2133 posts) - - Show Bio

That's about it honestly. Elektra sucked then and sucks now.

#4 Posted by mrmonster (2264 posts) - - Show Bio

Not much. I liked almost everything about Frank Miller's Daredevil.

#5 Posted by waezi2 (19810 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by TVC-15 (2133 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2 said:

@tvc-15: @mrmonster: What about Karen Page?

I didn't mind. Not like they were doing much with her to begin with.

#7 Posted by jb681131 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2: Well When talking about Daredevil by Frank Miller you have to split it in parts:

1. Daredevil #158-161,163-167 - Scenario by Klause Jenson and Art by Frank Miller - The Main arc is "Marked for death"
  2. Daredevil #168-191 - Art and Scenario by Frank Miller - The Main arc are "Gang War" and "Daredevil/Punisher: Child's play"
  3. Daredevil #223-233 - Scenario by Frank Miller and Art by David Mazzucchelli - It makes up the arc "Born Again"
  4. The Man Without Fear - Scenario by Frank Miller and Art by John Romita Jr

Frank Miller's art as allways been good.

His writting on Daredevil upped the level of the title by a lot. That's because of Miller that Daredevil became a popular hero.

I agree that Elektra in the his original run wasn't the best part. But In The Man Without Fear she was a nice element of the story.

And about Karen Page, I liked her. I think that "Born Again" has a very well written scenario making it one of the best Daredevil story, not to say the best (because I haven't read them all)

#8 Posted by invain (3994 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller's first two runs on Daredevil were great, and I have no complaints from them. However, I was not a big fan of Man Without Fear. I didn't care fore some of the retcons he did there, and the story itself just was not as engaging as his earlier work.

#9 Posted by waezi2 (19810 posts) - - Show Bio

@invain said:

Frank Miller's first two runs on Daredevil were great, and I have no complaints from them. However, I was not a big fan of Man Without Fear. I didn't care fore some of the retcons he did there, and the story itself just was not as engaging as his earlier work.

Yeah, I gave it a read the other day, and it wasn't really my cup of tea either. The thing with his dad being a wrestler once was just kinda lame. I liked the original reason for the name Daredevil better. And I'm not that big a fan of Romita Jr style

#10 Posted by nickzambuto (26442 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely the dated writing and art. It's a shame to say, but I had a hard time getting through that run at points. But I did it for the stories and characters.

#11 Posted by devitciiu (665 posts) - - Show Bio

@waezi2: Sorry, but I'm all about positivity. If you want I can tell you all the things I liked about Miller's Daredevil.

#12 Posted by RabumAlal (2951 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by jb681131 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by waezi2 (19810 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Tomkatie (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131 said:

Frank Miller's art as allways been good.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Wait.... what...

#16 Posted by jb681131 (1820 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomkatie: Ok, let's say in the first half of his career. (the same goes for his writting)

#17 Edited by Spambot (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomkatie: I'm all for criticizing artwork but those examples are kind of stuff he just drew not trying to make it look realistic. The first ww picture seems like a definite homage to Picasso or lw&cub. The Supes pic also seems like he's just trying to be cartoonish. Now don't get me wrong, his artwork is very up and down(as seen in tdkr which he gets a fair amount of criticism for) but even in that comic there are some panels which are poorly drawn and others where he puts a lot more effort into and are very well done imo. I think what happened in the late 80's is Frank wanted to get more his own style which has that very sketchy kind of look to it whereas before he was trying to be a more classic type of comic book artist in the Neal Adams mold.

#18 Posted by Tomkatie (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: I definitely think Frank Miller peaked a earlier, with DKR and Daredevil. Looking back at the Daredevil art, it is quite good and definitely fit the tone, as well as for the Dark Knight Returns. Come DKSA, he's definitely gone a bit off the rails, and that's also pretty apparent with All Star Batman & Robin and DK3.

Just looking at Daredevil, the art is great. His later stuff, not so much.

#19 Posted by kidchipotle (15719 posts) - - Show Bio

Millers Daredevil is perfection.

#20 Posted by DanMarshall (238 posts) - - Show Bio

This is easy its got to be Frank Miller, I don't like anything by him that ive read. I think he earned his praise but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy his work. Only thing im remotely interested in reading by him is All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder so I can read the Batman parts out loud in the stupid Bat voice Nolan and Bale went with in the movies.

Back to daredevil and something less broad as Frank, id say Elektra as well she's not interesting and she is nothing more than an exciting picture to put on a poster by an artist with more talent than Miller.