#1 Posted by waezi2 (19810 posts) - - Show Bio

Tell us about something that you really liked about Miller's Daredevil comics.

I will go first:

I like how he turned Kingpin, a hulking mafioso who'd previously been little more than a B-list Spider-Man villain, into the capo di tutti capo of the Marvel Universe and Daredevil's primary nemesis.

#2 Posted by waezi2 (19810 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by mrmonster (2264 posts) - - Show Bio

The dark and gritty feel.

#4 Posted by waezi2 (19810 posts) - - Show Bio

The dark and gritty feel.

I have some of the comics as black and white comics, makes it feel even darker and grittier

#5 Posted by Sprior93 (12261 posts) - - Show Bio

Stilt-Man

#6 Posted by nickzambuto (26442 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller created the Daredevil that everyone knows today. His art and writing definitely feels dated so it was pretty hard to get through the run admittedly, but I still recommend it as the starting place for anybody looking to become a Daredevil fan, because it defined him and his universe, and the stories themselves are timeless.

We learn about Elektra, there's an issue where Matt retells his backstory and talks about his father, Ben Urich, a completely normal reporter man, somehow becomes the greatest comic book character ever. And of course, as mentioned, Miller redefines Fisk and makes him into, personally, my favorite comic book villain of all time.

But Miller's greatest strides were with the character of Matt himself, as they should be. Before this, Matt was just another campy silver age character. People in the general public seem to have this image of Daredevil as another dark antihero like Batman and Wolverine, but that isn't the case. Matt himself has always been more similar to Spider-Man and Superman; he's a lighthearted nice guy who believes in justicd and just wants to help people. Miller didn't change Matt's personality, he just changed the environment in which Matt exists. So it's the quintessential campy silver age superhero preaching truth justice and the American way, in Hell's Kitchen, not fighting colorful supervillains twirling their mustaches, but fighting actual disturbed psychopaths and mass murderers. Matt wants to spin jokes like Spider-Man, but it's hard to do that when the deranged Bullseye just murdered a city block full of people in a berserk rage.

So the story becomes that of how far a man can be pushed before his environment changes him. Will Matt keep his optimism, or will Hell's Kitchen corrupt him into somebody more pessimistic? What would Superman do if he had to be Batman? We know him as a symbol of hope, but he's lucky because his environment is Metropolis, a city which feeds his hope down to its very name. Hell's Kitchen is the opposite.

This idea comes to a head with the brilliant Born Again, where Fisk pushes Matt to his absolute limits mentally and physically, and we truly see what this man is made of in order to deal with it.

#7 Edited by TVC-15 (2133 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller Art.

I love his stuff.

edit:loved

#8 Posted by devitciiu (665 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller's Daredevil was great and there's a lot to enjoy in the art, the story, and the changes brought to the character. I thought Elektra's death was incredible. As a kid, finding about that and then reading it was really powerful. It still sticks with me when I think about comic book deaths

I really liked how Miller merged the pulp crime story with kung fu mysticism. Also, exploring Catholicism in the underbelly of Hell’s Kitchen really helped develop the Matt as a character.

#9 Posted by Spambot (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

@tvc-15 said:

Miller Art.

I love his stuff.

edit:loved

I agree that Miller's art sometimes gets overly hated on. Some of it deserves to be but he is also capable of very solid art. Most of his stuff from before tdkr was considered to be cutting edge and high quality. I think eventually he just got lazy on the art side but he originally found his way into comics as an artist and had Neal Adams as his mentor.

#10 Posted by invain (3994 posts) - - Show Bio

Miller's art was great, and really suited his writing. The work he did for Daredevil's rogues was great. Kingpin, Elektra, The Hand, Punisher, and Bullseye were all used perfectly. He added to Daredevil's lore with the creations of Stick and Elektra. He added a lot of depth to the character of Daredevil himself with adding characters like Stick, Elektra, and Maggie for him to play off of.