What has been the last comic book movie masterpiece?

• 95 results
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

Title.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Never seen one..... Its a genre where the fantastical elements (essential to the genre) will always mine (for example) the worldbuilding construction....

In reality that is what makes this genre great, technically they are not perfect movie making (or the established/perceived norm of it), but they are a lot more entertaining than movies that are technically really well made, plus they have the capacity to transport you out of your daily mundane reality...

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only movie that came close was The Dark Knight. And there probably won't be one for at least one decade judging by the movies that general audience enjoys.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Last one? Um mybe Civil War.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK and Spiderman-2 are probably the only that come close.

ad-arts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watchmen, TDK. They are not last, they are the only ones coming close.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Incredibles.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Logan.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I'd say The Avengers.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

The only movie that came close was The Dark Knight. And there probably won't be one for at least one decade judging by the movies that general audience enjoys.

Man of Steel had the most potential in my opinion. One of the greatest superheroes of all time given the Batman Begins treatment, scored by Hans Zimmer, and starring an exceptional cast. The trailers were godlike, expectations the movie failed to meet.

The Dark Knight is exceptional. It pains me that we likely won't be getting another like it for years and years to come.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MonsterStomp
RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

Man of Steel had the most potential in my opinion. One of the greatest superheroes of all time given the Batman Begins treatment, scored by Hans Zimmer, and starring an exceptional cast. The trailers were godlike, expectations the movie failed to meet.

I believed that's one of the biggest reason why the audience were so divided. The expectations were too high.

The Dark Knight is exceptional. It pains me that we likely won't be getting another like it for years and years to come.

As much as I love MCU, it remains a fact that Disney has set a specific formula for superheroes movies that is being universally liked. And I don't think we'll ever get a movie on par with TDK following that formula.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

Personally, I'd say The Avengers.

Aw come off it!

No Caption Provided

I genuinely can't see TA being topped as my favourite superhero movie lol. Even Infinity War won't be as good. I love the simplicity and the magic of the first Avengers movie.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@rbt:

I believed that's one of the biggest reason why the audience were so divided. The expectations were too high.

I think it's a bad movie period, but the expectations certainly didn't help. As unpopular as it may sound, I found BvS to be a lot better than MoS.

As much as I love MCU, it remains a fact that Disney has set a specific formula for superheroes movies that is being universally liked. And I don't think we'll ever get a movie on par with TDK following that formula.

I couldn't agree more. The MCU is great, but it's a shame companies or more adverse to taking risks because of it.

Even Logan wasn't that good for me. I feel it misunderstood that TDK wasn't good because it was a different genre. It was good because it used the different genre to tell a compelling story that was simultaneously thrilling and entertaining that also had a lot of depth to it. It's truly a masterpiece.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RBT

@theamazingspidey:

I think it's a bad movie period, but the expectations certainly didn't help. As unpopular as it may sound, I found BvS to be a lot better than MoS.

I wholeheartedly agree. I wasn't a fan of MoS, tbh. Though it did grow on me after repeated viewings.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I'm going to say Batman Begins and TDK. They always feel like one big movie to me.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watchmen.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

@theamazingspidey:

I wholeheartedly agree. I wasn't a fan of MoS, tbh. Though it did grow on me after repeated viewings.

BvS was just a lot better paced and structured IMO. I was more invested in Batman as a protagonist as he was vocal about his motivations and we understood what he wanted. Whereas in MoS, Clark barely gets a chance to express himself and spends most of the movie silent and reactionary, which made it hard for me to connect with him.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

The only masterpieces are The Dark Knight, Spidey 2, maybe The Avengers so which ever came out lastest

Cap TWS was also great

Avatar image for deactivated-5abbc73944668
deactivated-5abbc73944668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8
deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan and Wonder Woman

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOFP, First Class, TDK, LOGAN

Avatar image for deactivated-5abbc73944668
deactivated-5abbc73944668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it better than avengers in your opinion?

Yes it is. I prefer a singular focus more often than team ups, although Avengers is the best team up imo

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think to some degree we hold cbms to a standard that non cbms don't even have to meet. Movies can be masterpieces for their particular genre. Its like Halloween or the Thing for horror. I don't think any movie critic would say they were even top 30 films for their decade but I wouldn't really hesitate to call them masterpieces for their genre. A movie can be a masterpiece as a cbm even if it isn't considered a top 50 film of all time.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan is the easy answer.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK and arguably Watchmen.

Movies like MoS and Logan had potential, but fell short for a few reasons. Movies like The Avengers aren't good enough to even be considered, but are relevant and loved enough to be instant classics.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 krisbishop  Moderator

The latest one? Logan. Still not as good as The Dark Knight though. Not sure any movie ever will.

Once again, I'll never understand the entire hype and wanking over Spider-Man 2.

On another note - I haven't gotten to watching The Watchmen yet. The LOTR level runtime is a bit daunting. Is it really good?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nehyolaw said:

The latest one? Logan. Still not as good as The Dark Knight though. Not sure any movie ever will.

Once again, I'll never understand the entire hype and wanking over Spider-Man 2.

On another note - I haven't gotten to watching The Watchmen yet. The LOTR level runtime is a bit daunting. Is it really good?

Yes, Watchmen is really good.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan. It's one of only two CBMs I would consider masterpieces, the other being The Dark Knight. Also, maybe Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

The Winter Soldier

And Man of Steel before that

TheCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Try Scott Pilgrim VS the World and V for Vendetta is also good.

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supergoku17 said:

Is it better than avengers in your opinion?

Yes it is. I prefer a singular focus more often than team ups, although Avengers is the best team up imo

Alright

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movies like MoS and Logan had potential, but fell short for a few reasons. Movies like The Avengers aren't good enough to even be considered, but are relevant and loved enough to be instant classics.

In agreement with everything you wrote.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The winter soldier I guess.

VTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By buttersdaman000

@farkam said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

No Caption Provided

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Thorthunder98

I think given the genre it's really hard for a cbm to be a masterpiece in the league of a film like Django Unchained or something. Even my favourite CBM Winter Soldier as a film objectively it's not close to being a masterpiece not matter how much I love it. It's because most cbm's are meant to be just fun action movies, what makes them different from other action films is that it's a connected universe and the world that's been built that's what sets them apart from a standard fun action film.

The only ones that come somewhat close looking objectively at the quality of them are The Dark Knight, Logan and Days of Future Past in my opinion and they still aren't masterpieces they're just as close as you can get in the genre.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

No Caption Provided

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Asgaard
@thecount said:

@asgaard: Try Scott Pilgrim VS the World and V for Vendetta is also good.

Technically "V for Vendetta" has poor dialogue and at best an average cinematography, its a cultural movie not a masterpiece, "Scott Pilgrim VS the World" is a really fun movie that i like but parts of it are modest at best...

The last movie that i saw and consider a masterpiece was the "The Revenant", from the premise/performances to the cinematography and worldbuilding all worked in a perfect symbiosis... For example TDK (one of best well made cbmovies to date) lacks the graphic brutality presented in Alejandro's movie, when you set a very gritty realistic worldbuilding full of explosions and violence, it has to have a lot of blood... Obviously you can not do it with a pg-13 rating but sometimes that is the difference between masterpieces and other well made movies...

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The Dark Knight and Logan. LOL at Watchmen being anything close to a classic.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyiena said:

@asgaard: Logan

Logan is the best comic book movie in years, but its antagonists/villains are nothing special, their motivations are repetitive and overused in the X-Men franchise and movie medium in general...

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

The Dark Knight and Logan. LOL at Watchmen being anything close to a classic.

How so?

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Ragnarok.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Logan

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57
deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The Dark Knight. Joker solo

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nehyolaw:

"On another note - I haven't gotten to watching The Watchmen yet. The LOTR level runtime is a bit daunting. Is it really good?"

It feels a bit empty and cold in terms of emotion, and I hate some of the music choices - Snyder directs it with too much style and fetishising, but it's worth watching overall - some of the performances are fantastic, the movie is absolutely gorgeous and feels like a classic comic book come to life, and it has some powerful scenes. It has the best opening scenes of any CBM.