What film would YOU recommend to someone new to the superhero genre? Man of Steel (2013) or Shazam! (2019)

Posted by lobotomisi (24 posts) 5 days, 19 hours ago

Poll: What film would YOU recommend to someone new to the superhero genre? Man of Steel (2013) or Shazam! (2019) (30 votes)

I did not watch Shazam! (2019) / I did not watch Man of Steel (2013) 3%
I would recommend Shazam! (2019) 63%
I would recommend Man of Steel (2013) 33%

so let's say there's someone who never read a comic, who never watched a superhero film.

He/she is curious about what's the latest stupid craze about superhero genre during this past decade, and asks you for a recommended film that is representative of the genre.

If you can only recommend either Shazam! (2019) or Man of Steel (2013)... which would you recommend and why?

#1 Posted by The_Swaggot (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam. I liked MoS but it clearly wasn’t for everyone. Looking back, I can see how some people found it to be a dragged out action movie.

#2 Posted by scarlett1994 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither. I'd just recommend them to watch the good, fun, but seriously flawed classics instead like:

• Batman (1989)
  • Batman Returns (1992)
  • Batman Forever (1995)
  • X-Men (2003)
  • X2: X-Men United (2003)
  • Hulk (2003)
  • The Punisher (2004)
  • X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
  • Ghost Rider (2007)
  • Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer (2007)
  • The Incredible Hulk (2008)
#3 Posted by Rockette (6445 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellboy 1 & 2

Blade 1 & 2

Punisher (Thomas Jane)

Batman 1989

Nolan Batman Movies

These ^^ FIRST.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d55d33b83168
#4 Posted by deactivated-5d55d33b83168 (355 posts) - - Show Bio

If they wanted to watch a good movie, I would say First Class. If they wanted what we are given now, I would say Homecoming

#5 Posted by Subline (9278 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel, though I wouldn't recommend either realistically.

I'd recommend either the Raimi Spider-Man or TDK Trilogy.

Avatar image for supermanfan1938
#6 Posted by Supermanfan1938 (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Raimi trilogy. Or X-Men 1, 2 and maybe 3.

Avatar image for the_agent_of_chaos
#7 Posted by The_Agent_Of_Chaos (986 posts) - - Show Bio

Raimi and Nolan trilogy even if the first is average still ok.

Then some MCU and DCEU movies , I prefer DCEU but MoS was ok but had their flaws , I didn’t like the scene where he lets the father die , that was so cringe considering Superman is a funny and feels bad for killing his enemies he shouldn’t have preserved his powers to public and let his dad die. That’s the scene when snyder went wrong on Superman , the movie was good in cinematography and action and I liked kyrptonians and it felt gritty but it should have been a bit lighter like JL tone

That’s my reason I would recommend Shazam , should have been worth watching and it has a sequel with the rock black Adam incoming :)

#8 Posted by MetalJimmor (6738 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't recommend Shazam! to be someone's first. It is a fun movie but most of the humor relies on poking fun at tropes found in the genre. Someone who's never experienced the superhero genre before wouldn't get all the references and jokes they make about superheroes.

For that reason I'd go with Man of Steel out of these two.

Ideally I'd start off with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2. The Nolan Trilogy is another candidate but those movies bend over backwards specifically to avoid the "super" part of the superhero genre. They don't encapsulate that superhero flavor nearly as well as Spider-Man, who I feel is a good middle ground between relatable human protagonist and fantastical sci fi superhuman.

After that we can move on to the Nolan Trilogy, Man of Steel, and the first two X-Men movies to show the breadth of flavors the superhero genre has to offer.

Then I'd be comfortable showing them reference heavy parodies like Shazam! and Deadpool.

#9 Posted by TobyMaguire (1169 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman 2002

#10 Posted by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

Shazam and it's not close at all. Waaaay better film.

#11 Posted by Ashrym (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of the given choices, Shazam.