What Does Your Favorite Superhero Represent to You?

• 51 results
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine008

Hello guys! This is my first post here on ComicVine, and I hope you guys like the topic I choose to talk about!

I was thinking yesterday about what our favorite superheroes represent to us. My favorite superhero is Wolverine and what I really think he represents is never giving up. Throughout his life he has lost family members, his girlfriends, had memory wiped and was brainwashed to be a mindless killing machine and yet he never gave up and just became a killing machine.

I also think that Wolverine represents not giving up in the way he fights. No matter how much bigger, stronger, or faster Wolverine's opponents are than him, he'll never back down from a fight or give up. He'll keep coming at you until he's beat you.

The last thing I think Wolverine represents is the fact that people can change and become better people. Despite Logan's past as a black ops team member who often committed heinous murders and other bad things, he has gone beyond that lifestyle and is now a big part in achieving mutant freedom with the X Men. To top it off, he even is now the headmaster of the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, and is trying to continue Professor X's dream for mutants!

That's what my favorite hero represents to me, what does your favorite hero represent to you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

If I had to pick a favorite superhero right now, I'd say Green Arrow. Just like you said about Wolverine, to me he represents that anyone can change and become a better human being. He started off as a spoiled rich kid who only cared about himself, until being stranded on an island led him to learn how to live with almost nothing, as well as compassion for others.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolverine008

@xwraith:

I like your choice bro. I agree with you that Green is an eidolon of idea of people changing and being altruistic for its own sake .

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

My favorite comic book character is probably Batman. If you look at his origin with his parents being shot and him leaving America to train for years, it can represent the change aspect (He was a spoiled brat and came back as a mature, mysterious, and dark figure that had no interest in anything unrelated to his mission). But if you look at the villains, the Batman stories are more about a man trying to overcome madness and insanity. In many stories, (such as the Killing Joke) all that The Joker is trying to do is make everybody just as crazy as himself. To quote him directly from the Killing Joke:

"You see it doesn't matter if you catch me and send me back to the asylum... Gordon's been driven mad. I've proved my point. I've demonstrated there's no difference between me and everyone else! All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day."

In fact, I've heard the argument before that many of Batman's villains are metaphors for different types of psychological illnesses. Two-Face equals multiple personality disorder, Riddler equals Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, etc. That seems to make sense to me. But Batman overcomes it. A man with no superpowers overcomes some of the most psychotic killers on the planet and doesn't kill them, even if he really wants to sometimes, because he knows that would be a terrible thing to do. He kept these morals while confronting the man that killed his parents. It's a very powerful and philosophically interesting story.

PS: Just to let you know in case you don't, you only have 5 posts the first five days, but if you just full edit the beginning of a topic (which counts as a post and you can do it even if you've used you're 5) until you get to 25 posts, you have unlimited.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rulerofthisuniverse:

Thanks for your opinion about what your favorite superhero represents! Also thanks for the advice for posts, it'll be really helpful!

dtschemmel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Mine is Daredevil and Aquaman. Daredevil represents taking risk and having fun, while also being serious. On the other hand Aquaman represents defending what you believe and that Old School is better than new school.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

My favorite comic book character is probably Batman. If you look at his origin with his parents being shot and him leaving America to train for years, it can represent the change aspect (He was a spoiled brat and came back as a mature, mysterious, and dark figure that had no interest in anything unrelated to his mission). But if you look at the villains, the Batman stories are more about a man trying to overcome madness and insanity. In many stories, (such as the Killing Joke) all that The Joker is trying to do is make everybody just as crazy as himself. To quote him directly from the Killing Joke:

"You see it doesn't matter if you catch me and send me back to the asylum... Gordon's been driven mad. I've proved my point. I've demonstrated there's no difference between me and everyone else! All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day."

In fact, I've heard the argument before that many of Batman's villains are metaphors for different types of psychological illnesses. Two-Face equals multiple personality disorder, Riddler equals Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, etc. That seems to make sense to me. But Batman overcomes it. A man with no superpowers overcomes some of the most psychotic killers on the planet and doesn't kill them, even if he really wants to sometimes, because he knows that would be a terrible thing to do. He kept these morals while confronting the man that killed his parents. It's a very powerful and philosophically interesting story.

PS: Just to let you know in case you don't, you only have 5 posts the first five days, but if you just full edit the beginning of a topic (which counts as a post and you can do it even if you've used you're 5) until you get to 25 posts, you have unlimited.

Wow. If I didn't already want to read Killing Joke this would have done it.

I think this is a very accurate assessment of what Batman represents.

He has no superpowers, he's just a human, just like us. But through his sheer willpower he decided that he would become something more and with that he's able to overcome all his villains.

Showing us: no matter how crazy our problems are, there's always a way to defeat them.

Way better job then I could have done. :P

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By JulieDC

For my two faves Red Robin and Nightwing, I feel like both represent how bad things can happen to you but the importance in overcoming them so that you don't become too much like Batman.

For my other favorite, Flash, I feel like he represents the importance of law and order. So often, you got guys like Batman and even Superman to an extent that seems to have a distaste or distrust for law while the Flash actually is a cop and does not seem them as the bad guys other heroes can sometimes paint them out to be. It also seems like he is the kind of cop you'd like to see in the real world as well. also feel like Flash represents the importance in being more personal with the people around you and to help out whether or not you made the mess.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello guys! This is my first post here on ComicVine, and I hope you guys like the topic I choose to talk about!

I was thinking yesterday about what our favorite superheroes represent to us. My favorite superhero is Wolverine and what I really think he represents is never giving up. Throughout his life he has lost family members, his girlfriends, had memory wiped and was brainwashed to be a mindless killing machine and yet he never gave up and just became a killing machine.

I also think that Wolverine represents not giving up in the way he fights. No matter how much bigger, stronger, or faster Wolverine's opponents are than him, he'll never back down from a fight or give up. He'll keep coming at you until he's beat you.

The last thing I think Wolverine represents is the fact that people can change and become better people. Despite Logan's past as a black ops team member who often committed heinous murders and other bad things, he has gone beyond that lifestyle and is now a big part in achieving mutant freedom with the X Men. To top it off, he even is now the headmaster of the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, and is trying to continue Professor X's dream for mutants.

That's what my favorite hero represents to me, what does your favorite hero represent to you?

I was about to response to this thread and well... you beat me to it in every way.

Darksider555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Darksider555

For me its Kyle Rayner. Because he represents my creative spirit, he lost his mom like me, he is constantly being sterotyped as the "kid", but in spite that he constanly overcomes his past and focuses on the future. And since he is White Lantern he represents my Emotional Awareness.

young_beamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mine is spider-man i guess to me he means what i could be and just overall expression. he goes through really human problems just like me and he put on these web shooters swing around and get away from it all and along the way help people, in ways he cant do as himself. h kinda shows his true colors as spider-man not peter parker. that's like the ultimate expression of character, and whatever problems he faces he can fix through his expression (being spider-man). me being an artist and writer can relate, im mad i draw something mean or violent or at a happy time draw something inspirational or write something motivational, that's my expression. spider-man means "expression" to me.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite superhero is Nightwing. I like how he exhibits so much optimism to the point where he's capable of moving forward regardless of what's thrown his way. This is a character who has been through a lot of obstacles in his life, but he still holds his head up high with a great attitude towards life. You can see how it inspires others to follow him which makes Dick a natural team leader. That's an attribute I try to exhibit in my own lifestyle.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lykopis

This is a great thread!

For me, when I first got into comics it was Rogue. She was so vulnerable and scared and lost. Bitter at what her mutation cost her, Rogue struck out angrily at the world around her, making some pretty bad decisions while under the guidance of someone whom she loved deeply and trusted but who manipulated her for their own gain. Despite all this, she managed to get through the demons she inflicted onto herself (consciously and unconsciously) and turned her life around, learning to trust again and not resent her vulnerability -- her inability to let people into her heart more of a barrier than her mutation itself.

Yet she was tough and sassy and fun and powerful -- fiercely loyal, willing to believe in the best of people and always there for someone hurting. Rogue loves deeply, passionately and without restraint and her patience tempered with a good sense of teaching to fish rather than fish for which has made her an incredible role model for anyone confused and left alone with no one to help teach them right and wrong. A real leader.

That she can kick @ss thoroughly and hold her own is the wrapped satin ribbon of the saucy and beautiful Mississippian magnolia laden bouquet that she is.

Welcome to ComicVine. Your choice of Wolverine is my very, very close second most favourite character, by the way.

:)

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RDClip

Superman represents hope. That even with god-like powers, someone can be motivated not by greed or selfishness, but by compassion, truth and justice. He is someone we can look up to and not be envious of having his power, but aspire to be as good as he is. Superman isn't a human, but represents the best of humanity.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted from my Top 10 List:

"I shall become a bat." - Bruce Wayne

"The whereabouts of Batman remain unknown. And yet… I can see him now, in the grip of implacable forces, innumerable foes. Somewhere without hope. In a place where all seems lost. And I know this. The enemy will look away, for just a moment, underestimating him for that single fraction of a second too long. And no matter how dark the night, there will be no hiding place for evil." - Alfred Pennyworth

If you looked up 'badass' in the thesaurus, I guarantee you that right after 'awesome' and 'baller' would be the words 'Bruce Wayne'. Batman has been my favorite character since I started reading comic-books, and while I admit that he can be overrated and portrayed as an annoying jerk, he still remains my #1 superhero. There's not much that can be said about the Caped Crusader that hasn't been said already. Batman represents the pinnacle of humanity, the apex of human will and endurance. He's the progenitor of all dark, loner vigilantes, the prototype of the entire school of 'no powers, just fists' superheroes. Batman is what happens when a man single-handedly devotes himself to one goal. And what happens when said man has enough money to build a bat-shaped supercar and a kickass costume!

Yes, he's one of this world's most well-known pop culture icons. He's had arguably the best success in every entertainment medium of any comic book character. His movies are critically acclaimed and commercially successful, his comics have had fantastic stories, and he's one of the few superheroes that non-comic-readers consider 'cool' or 'trendy'. But that's not why I like Batman so much. If you take all of that away, the gadgets, the villains, and break Bruce Wayne down to his core, what makes him so fascinating to me is the character's drive. How his motivation to stop crime makes him sacrifice everything else in his life. Most people would have moved on after watching their parents die in front of their eyes, but not Bruce Wayne. When his parents died, he gave up whatever life he could have had in a war against crime. He molded himself into a living weapon against injustice, so that no one else would ever suffer in the same way that he did. He chose to risk his life night after night in his mission to stop evil and save lives. Some would call that obsession, but that's selflessness to me.

But aside from all that deep, philosophical stuff, Batman also rocks one of the coolest outfits ever. The jagged cape, the horned helmet, it all works together as a fantastic costume ensemble. Then there's his personality. The stern, no-nonsense, job first-pleasure later mentality is just so magnetic. He views his fight against crime like a soldier in a war, and his almost-military like demeanor makes him stand in contrast to other heroes. People often cast him as a 'paranoid loner' but I prefer to think of him as the hero who gets things done. And aside from that, I'm also a big fan of the fact that even though he's one of the 'grittiest-edgy' DC characters, his stance against murder is the strongest. He absolutely refuses to take a life in the way that his parents' killer did, and I really admire that. His social skills are a little iffy, but his moral compass is right on! Then there's his fantastic mind. A detective at his core; Batman's intelligence and wits have always been a draw for me. The times he's outsmarted a stronger enemy through sheer brainpower and resolve is incredible. Aside from all that, he's also got the best rogues gallery in DC (Oh, don't even try arguing about that!), and some of the most influential stories too (Can you say 'Dark Knight Returns'?)

Also, he has a kickass theme song. Every superhero should have a kickass theme song. It should be like...a legal prerequisite to being a superhero. NANANANANANANANANANANANANANA....BATMANNN!!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

John Constantine

Because he's an asshole, he drinks and he deals with the crap nobody else will.

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome thread :) for me- Hal Jordan (or Green Lanterns in general). The idea that with enough willpower you can achieve anything. In the modern day people underestimate the importance of a strong force of will. In an age where peer pressure pushes us to conform the strong willed rise above and become their own person

"If you put your all into something, and have a strong will, then you will succeed and people will see your enthusiasm"

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By GodTriggerHulk

To me The Hulk symbolizes nuclear fission/fusion, both have made a positive impact on the human race, but are savagely maligned by a stupid public.

I also enjoy the freedom The Hulk represents, Jade Jaws doesn't timidly pay taxes, rot in school or listen to Tony drinkypants Stark (puny Banner might). The Hulk is about the rush of freedom and power, who wouldn't want to leap way into the sky, or throw dragons to the moon or scatter army divisions with a round of applause?

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Aladdin - Even in this terrible world a sense of childhood naivety and wonder is always something great to have.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis:

Thanks for the newbie love! Wolverine is the best there is at what does, being f*cking awesome! But Rogue is actually one of the few X Men I like besides Wolvie. It's pretty cool too see that even though her powers don't allow her to have contact with people, she is still so up beat and sassy. It also helps that she is insanely hot! One more thing, do know how to deal with the 5 post a day limit new users have?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@wolverine08:

welcome to the vine bro! and my favorite at the moment is superman

No Caption Provided

-having the power to be a tyrant and choosing instead to be a hero. a civil servant on a universal level

-representing what uncle ben said in the last spiderman movie "if you have the ability to do good things then you have a moral obligation to do those things"

-he's not cocky or stubborn. he's just a hero. just as willing to give you a shoulder to cry on as he is to save the world from a meteor shower.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis:

Thanks for the newbie love! Wolverine is the best there is at what does, being f*cking awesome! But Rogue is actually one of the few X Men I like besides Wolvie. It's pretty cool too see that even though her powers don't allow her to have contact with people, she is still so up beat and sassy. It also helps that she is insanely hot! One more thing, do know how to deal with the 5 post a day limit new users have?

Rogue's got control over that now (her powers) but hopefully that won't change anytime soon. You have great taste, my new friend. :)

You have 11 more to go before you can post without limit -- I would seriously aim to get the five out of the way a day (there are a few threads where you can do this although you can only post twice -- one after the other).

I hated it when I first started, lol -- I had so much to say in response to a thread and I couldn't. You can private message (PM) people as much as you want without restriction until then.

So -- once you hit 25 posts (5 a day) -- you are good to go. :)

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Superguy0009e

Spider-Man: To me, what he represents is how no matter how hard we try, our lives will have disappointment. We have to work hard for others, even have to take crap that we don't deserve, but it is all worth it if we leave Earth better than we found it.

No Caption Provided

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Batman: he's only human and he fights among gods and aliens. he represents humans at their best, which isn't saying much. Batman is hard working and has an immense willpower. he will keep fighting. I've suffered in my life but when I think about what Batman has gone through, I try to push through and keep strong.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite hero is Hercules (Marvel).

He represents limitless strength, eternal youth and a fun-loving spirit.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What Spider-man represents to me is that even when things don't go your way keep you head held high and to learn from each of those experiences to grow up into a better person. Always push on and never give up hope!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@wolverine08: I just realized it was you who started this thread. O_O

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Look at how far wolvie has come

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@wolverine08: I just realized it was you who started this thread. O_O

I sounded so f%cking corny......

@sog7dc said:

Ha!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@wolverine08: It's not bad, but you really have improved since then.

My first post in this thread was one of a bunch of times I replied to you in your early days here, but I feel like I didn't really get to know you until recently.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Glad I got to know you better man :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KittyParker13

At first, I liked Kitty Pryde for the shallow reason of I think she's cute. As I read more with her, I saw how much more there was to her. I love that although she's a Mutant, she doesn't *look* like a Mutant. She doesn't have to be an X-men anymore. She could have easily learned how to use her powers (It really didn't take her long at Xavier's School to learn how to use them) and then gone back to a regular life. But she doesn't. She stands up for what's right, even though she doesn't have to and it isn't easy. Similarly, she's Jewish, yet she really doesn't look Jewish. She could easily hide her beliefs. Does she? Of course not, this is Kitty Pryde we're talking about! She wears the Star of David proudly.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Furthermore, I love that she's intelligent, a genius, really. She used to keep up with Cypher in electronics. With. Cypher. He understands the language of technology, and she was capable of keeping up with him. Also, I love that her powers are phasing. What a unique power. She doesn't have super strength, she doesn't throw lightening. She's got the strength of a normal (but very trained) girl.

To me, Kitty is the definition of a hero, and of course, her being funny, quirky and a nerd only adds to her awesome-ness.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

lol it's hard to believe he's the same person.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ScouterV

I like a lot of characters. Among them, three stand out.

Goku - To me he represents looking adversity in the face, smiling and asking for it's best shot. Because even when things are looking their bleakest in a battle, Goku's having the time of his life and I try to hold that mentality myself. Not only that, but Goku, for all his power is constantly training. He wants to become stronger for the sake of being strong and protecting Earth and the Universe from Evil.

Static - He represents to me, a person of similar background going on to do extraordinary things. Getting to not only stand amongst his heroes, but standing out amongst his heroes as well.

Lex Luthor - A lot of people say that Bruce Wayne is the perfect example of effort because he stands with "Gods." While I think Bruce is a fine example of humanity, I respectfully disagree. For me, I think Lex Luthor is an even better example. Lex Luthor, much like Bruce has his own company but is often said to have built Lexcorp from the ground up. While he may not be as physically powerful as Batman, he's sacrificed on the physical plane for the mental and I think that's a fine trade-off.

MadFacedKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh not really wanting to go into explanation, but Aquaman. Responsibility and Honor.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

deadpool represents going through times of struggle (lung cancer) and being able to overcome it and live a happy life. He symbolizes turning a bad situation into a good one.

NotATreeABush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NotATreeABush

My favorite hero represents having all the sex... which means I am my own hero

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

My favorite hero is Captain America.

To me, he represents dedication to ideals and never giving up hope.

• "I'm loyal to nothing, General, except the dream."

Captain America recognizes that lawful authority is a necessary evil, a mechanism to secure the freedom of the people (this goes back to the founding of the nation and the U.S. Constitution), in other words ensure that individuals respect the freedom of other people. The government serves the people, not the other way around.

• "Tell the whole world, 'No, you move'."

He refuses to compromise his beliefs for the sake of group harmony. The majority is susceptible to the lies of opportunists and the hollow promises of demagogues.

• "As long as one man stands against you, Thanos, you'll never claim victory."

Captain America stands against the tyranny of men, no matter what.

• "Avengers! Assemble!"

Steve has the skills, presence, and unshaking belief to inspire others to follow him. He never never says die, and never leaves a man behind.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver surfer represents a few things. He represents power im all its facets, he can do nearly anything he wants. Respect for the cosmic order as well as all life no matter how simple it may be. Humility because he doesnt let his power go to his head. Knowledge in the fact that he knows his place jn the universe.

HopeOnFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HopeOnFire
No Caption Provided

Cassandra represents a lot to me. She represents compassion, bravery, coming to terms with your past and who you are, overcoming learning disabilities, NEVER giving up, she taught me the beauty of someone who retained their basic humanity through her selflessness towards all life, redemption(and being able to change from who you are and what you were) and standing firm and true to what you believe in and never giving up an inch no matter who's in your way(even if you're the Goddamn Batman). Plus, she's all kinds of bad-ass and can kick your butt nine-ways to hell before you even blink or realize it xD I love her...in all her flaws and glory.

DC lost a loyal fan when they decided to rape, degrade and erase her...

No Caption Provided

KeyunHodge16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KeyunHodge16

I Love Superman, Green Lantern and Aquaman- Superman represents meto be powerful. Green Lantern shows to Shine On, and Aquaman represents to protet everything you love.

Avatar image for street_level_hero
Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Genius level intellect, intensive training, the pinnacle of human perfection+, ultimate tech, King, awesomeness.

No Caption Provided

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AlphaQ

While in general I don't have favorite characters I think Sam Vimes is one of the best heroes I have read. He thought me that justice, compassion and mercy were the best traits we can have and people were just people and nothing more and we have to strive and fight to be better than that.

No Caption Provided