• 66 results
#1 Edited by DanMarshall (606 posts) - - Show Bio

My biggest thing is when I get interested in a character and find that they have mini series or runs that were intended for an ongoing series where

1. the writing is terrible

2. the art is awful

3. both of the above together

4. the writing is passable but the art is garbage

The most recent experience I had with this is the newest She Hulk series its so boring, hamfisted, the artwork is flat and uninteresting.

Here's a few more things that piss me off about comics

Agenda pushing, just write a fun story no one cares about where the writer stands politically, besides how memorable are they really we tend to remember the more ridiculous fun adventure types of stories way more often than not.

When a writer doesn't care about the characters they're writing for or just doesn't understand them.

Pastel color palettes used on generic pencils

When a company changes things because a group of people who don't buy and will never buy a book they make whines about things being offensive and ruins it for the people who actually spend money on the books.

When writers have characters make ironic comments about their own books in a main series, characters who fall more in line with Deadpool and Harley Quinn don't count.

Obvious topical themes, kind of falls in with why I hate agenda pushing, more often than not I just forget about them and its mostly just lazy writing.

Also when a book has to line up with things that'll be seen in a movie.

#2 Posted by Kairan1979 (26741 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole 'killing/resurrecting' characters cheapens their deaths. The reader just yawns and wonders how long until the writers bring him/her back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#3 Edited by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that certain characters are not allowed to move past their status quo. Despite everything they go through, they're just reset to where they were in the beginning so new readers have something familiar to go to.

#4 Posted by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

It's fans.....

#5 Posted by Yassassin (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

Re-numberings have their place not matter how annoying, but I can do without event all together.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#6 Edited by MajinBlackheart (9288 posts) - - Show Bio

Event crossovers

Plot driven stories

#7 Posted by Farkam (12019 posts) - - Show Bio

The characters never grow, they just morph into whatever the current writer wants them to be.

#8 Posted by Gaoron (8249 posts) - - Show Bio

"The characters never grow, they just morph into whatever the current writer wants them to be."

This so much and they are so inconsistent too

#9 Posted by Asgaard (4373 posts) - - Show Bio

Constant Pr's, relaunches and reboots...

#10 Posted by JediXMan (42397 posts) - - Show Bio

Inconsistency. That's why I've come to prefer series or runs written by a single writer.

#11 Posted by Thorthunder98 (6609 posts) - - Show Bio

PC and PR stunts and SJW pandering

Making a new character but giving them an established characters name and expecting the fanbase of the original character to love it and if they don't acting like there's something wrong with the fans not the makers

#13 Posted by blackagar (950 posts) - - Show Bio

When a story isn't given enough time to complete it and it's rushed or when they're long past due and drawn out.

#14 Posted by IceDemonKing (9982 posts) - - Show Bio

Too many to list

#15 Posted by StormShadow_X (16367 posts) - - Show Bio

bendis is writing them

#16 Posted by Yassassin (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

The Illusion of Change.

#17 Posted by Project_Worm (4302 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that there's too many good books to afford

#18 Edited by WeAreTheFlash (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

The heroes are dumb when fighting. "Hmph. Should I attack when they don't know I'm here? Naw, let me talk to them and then try and attack them."

Also why do almost all criminal's aiming suck. It's like they all have parkinsons disease. No offence to people that have it

#19 Posted by uugieboogie (13023 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

The characters never grow, they just morph into whatever the current writer wants them to be.

#20 Posted by foxerdes (9960 posts) - - Show Bio

Change of author changes everything.

#21 Posted by EdBeatle (1172 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
#22 Posted by StaticDwanyeMcduffie (7017 posts) - - Show Bio

The whole 'killing/resurrecting' characters cheapens their deaths. The reader just yawns and wonders how long until the writers bring him/her back.

It's fans.....

The fact that certain characters are not allowed to move past their status quo. Despite everything they go through, they're just reset to where they were in the beginning so new readers have something familiar to go to.

Reboots. It destroys the continuity and erases a lot of awesome events.

All of these x100

#23 Posted by Thewhiteronin (1556 posts) - - Show Bio

When writers are completely clueless about a character's abilities and screws them up....

#24 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that it spawned people giving so many shits about character feats.

@kairan1979 said:

@judasnixon said:

It's fans.....

@nicksmi56 said:

@krleavenger said:

Reboots. It destroys the continuity and erases a lot of awesome events.

All of these x100

These too.

#25 Posted by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

When people send death threats to creators..... No one is making you buy those books.

#26 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

People who complain about SJWs, "pandering," etc.

If you don't like it, you're not the audience.

Honestly, the fans are what I like least.

#27 Posted by tparks (11807 posts) - - Show Bio

When people send death threats to creators..... No one is making you buy those books.

I'm sending you a death threat for this. But not until I finish my death threat to Bendis.

Hey, is it spelled "sniper rifle" or "sniper-rifle" with a hyphen? You know what, nevermind, I'll just say rocket launcher. It's better.

#28 Posted by Racob8 (551 posts) - - Show Bio

When a good character is created and then a different writer mucks it up.

#29 Posted by those_eyes (17291 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob8 said:

When a good character is created and then a different writer mucks it up.

Loading Video...

#30 Posted by Racob8 (551 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Batvibe12 (5570 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Stories that makes no sense at all (I'm talking about you Civil War ll)
  2. Dull artwork
  3. Books that doesn't have an attention grabber
Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
#32 Posted by AmazingSpiderDan (548 posts) - - Show Bio

Dan Slott is still writing them...

* Events - I used to think Events were supposed to be something unique and special, but it's like the second I turn around there is another event right around the corner, and would you look at that-- Tie-ins! It's bad enough some titles are released monthly, but to have a five/six month period of half-assed event tie-in issues is even worse.

*"The Death of--/The Return of--" - There should be no reason single character should be killed off and eventually brought back to life more than once. I don't like reading a comic where a character dies and my first initial thought is "I wonder how they're going to bring them back". Let me think a character is dead dead.

*Reboots - Eventually the universe needs to start fresh, but how often is the real question. You would think that some characters with 50, 60, and even 70+ years of history would've hung up the cowl and retired by now making room for new heroes to take their place-- but no. Instead of letting nature run it's course we get a reboot with new characters introduced to fit in with the already established heroes and end up unfortunately are get outshined by the old regardless of how much potential they have.

These are probably my three biggest gripes with comics, but trust me when I say; There are more reasons I love comics than there are reasons I hate.

#33 Posted by MasterOfEvil (1671 posts) - - Show Bio

when an awesome character gets a solo series but gets nerfed for the whole thing

#34 Posted by ChildoftheAtom (935 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people are saying stagnant story but I have to disagree. From issue #1 till the last of a writers run I think they can start character development wise wherever and end it wherever. Trying to tie back to previous works can only hinder a writer unless they want to.

Even major character deaths. We see the success of some of these major D.C. Stories like watchmen and even less obvious ones like batman Hush do so well because they have complete freedom not worrying about continuity. It only becomes an issue with team stories like avengers if Thor is unworthy in his own series but on the more recognizable front as himself in the avengers team series.

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
#35 Posted by Ultimate_Knight (10938 posts) - - Show Bio

One of them includes...

The fact that an issue worth about 20-30 pages costs about 2.99 USD Dollars or maybe more, and you have to wait a week, or a month or so to see what happens next, which turns many potential readers off. Not only that, but the story could potentially be bad for you and you might think you wasted money and then you just go buy manga or something...

Plot driven stories

Is that a bad thing...or do you just prefer character driven over plot driven?

#36 Posted by Just_Banter (12354 posts) - - Show Bio

Inconsistency is a big one. Different writers have different interpretations about the characters they write, so characters don't stay entirely consistent across series.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
#37 Posted by Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin (4189 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by black_wreath (13557 posts) - - Show Bio

I was trying to think of more specific way of putting it but...

It's fans.....

...just says it all.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
#39 Posted by infantfinite128 (5718 posts) - - Show Bio

It's fans.....

It's true. And I'm extremely guilty of ridiculousness. There's so much great stuff coming out and so much great stuff in the past, that there is no reason to complain at all. Especially when people are dying on the street to feed their families.

#40 Posted by buildhare (8615 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Inconsistency. That's why I've come to prefer series or runs written by a single writer.

#41 Posted by Hush114 (1580 posts) - - Show Bio

That a a storyline like hush or the long halloween would never be mentioned in the same breath as a classic novel like: a tale of two cities or dracula.

Some of the best stories ive ever read come from graphic novels or comics, yet there are some people feel it is a lesser medium.

(The only exception to this is the watchmenn of course.)

The experience is the same to me when im reading a novel or a comic. To me one medium is not better than the other.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#42 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9288 posts) - - Show Bio

@jloneblackheart said:

Plot driven stories

Is that a bad thing...or do you just prefer character driven over plot driven?

It's not necessarily always a bad thing, but typically it's at the expense of character or even ignores character to drive the plot.

#43 Posted by GunsNRoses23 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

shitty writing, bad writers getting more work, horrible art, Batman in general etc

#44 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by DanMarshall (606 posts) - - Show Bio

Character crossover, im not limiting it to these big empty events, I've always hated when Daredevil would show up in Spider-Man books or anyone else from a different series would show up in the book im reading that is not their own. I may like the characters that are crossing over but get back to your own series and i'll read about you there. Its something that bothered me since I was a little kid and still jerks my chain since there is almost no way to read a comic now that's just about the title character and the supporting characters created within that series.

#46 Posted by AbelHsu (3533 posts) - - Show Bio

They can't find a balance when it comes to feat and good story...especially for DC now.

#47 Posted by Bumpaddle (128 posts) - - Show Bio

Deaths and hard status quos like Wonder Woman and Superman's costumes which should have been changed long ago. And Robins. Lots of Robins. And the current Marvel regime. And fans. And Robin's short pants all the way into the 90's.

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
#48 Posted by ManMadeOfKetchup (1207 posts) - - Show Bio

Politics and/or pandering. I like to read comics to escape the real world, not put up with it in the books too

#49 Edited by Mark_Stephen (2616 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently? The price. Bad stories and art are frustrating, but when you couple them with 3.99 and up pricing they become intolerable and I look for something else to buy.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
#50 Posted by StaticSpeedster (2330 posts) - - Show Bio

Political correctness ruins everything.