What do retired superheroes/heroines do?

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paracelsus

Let's face it- with the exception of virtual immortals like Thor,Hercules, Wonder Man and maybe Captain America- nobody stays young or lives forever, not even superheroes. So, even though I know that this topic was dealt with in The Incredibles" and/or the recent Blue Marvel miniseries, what DO retired (voluntarily or otherwise) superheroes/heroines do after they hang up their cape/cowl?

Well, writing their memoirs is an option but as the average hero/heroine has had so many unbelievable experiences( ie encountering supernatural entities like vampires or werewolves, travrelling to other planets, going backwards and forwards in time or to alternate realities or differing dimensions such as Mephisto's domain, even meeting God himself- the FF did both), and as many heroes like Captain America are government employees and are liable lime military men or State Department/CIA personnel to federal scrutiny of their writings(read censorship), I was wondering what ELSE a retired hero/heroine can possibly do?

Terry

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By PowerHerc

They play chess in the park against retired supervillains.

thesuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thesuperman

cry all the time missing the past knowing they are to old be be a superhero anymore...disappointment.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

tell younger heroes they are "doing it wrong"

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis  Online

Play tennis.

departed402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By departed402

Come out of retirement. Advise the heroes still in the game. Advoid being killed off. (I would have posted a youtube video of the Comedian being thrown out his window, but embeding is disabled on every one I find.)
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By longbowhunter

Thats a good question. I've often wondered about Jack Knight. I guess he's busy raising his rape baby in San Fransisco.

_jackbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By _jackbauer

People without superhuman powers like Batman, are in for a ROUGH time as they age. Sore muscles, arthritis, broken hips, lack of energy, mental and emotional traumas sustained earlier in life can have considerable effects as people age. Seriously, if Batman survives into old age, he should be in a lot worse shape than he is in Batman Beyond.

rum1929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By rum1929

They play BINGO
Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Timandm

@Paracelsus: Let's face it- with the exception of virtual immortals like Thor,Hercules, Wonder Man and maybe Captain America- nobody stays young or lives forever, not even superheroes.

Actually, that's EXACTLY what they do...

Spider-Man, Peter Parker, was 15 in 1962... Here it is 2012 and he's still in his 20s...

Franklin Richards was born in 1968... He just turned Ten last year (or it might have been the year before.)

It's odd, you'll see characters grow up. Like Robin, for example, was a ten or eleven year old boy when first introduced. He went to college, became Night Wing, had relationships... And yet, Bruce Wayne still appears to be about 35...

Whatever it takes, whatever story the writers have to concoct, they will keep the super heroes young forever. They will NOT let them grow up and they will allow only a very few to actually marry, and even fewer are allowed to have children. The exception to the children rule, of course, is the children who suddenly show up all grown up... Rachel Summers. Nate Summers. X-23 (sort of Wolverine's daughter.) Daken - Wolverine's grown son. Nocturne - Nightcrawler's grown daughter from an alternate time line.

The way things are, and with the current writers, super heroes will never retire...

Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Reflect on the good o'll days when they wore the spandex and when criminals had class.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Kairan1979

The topic of retired heroes was briefly touched in one of theissues of Common Grounds.