What defines the 2010s in terms of comics and CBMs?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Eto

DC Comics:

- Flashpoint.

- New52, launched back in 2011. Re-numbering all titles. Hard reboot.

- The Court of Owls, altering Gotham's origin and adding new rogues to Batman's list.

- Rebirth, fresh take on the entire line-up (soft reboot, sort of).

- Integration of the Watchmen into the DCUniverse.

- Jonathan Kent a.k.a. the son of Lois & Clark introduced in Lois & Clark (2015) which was basically a build-up towards Superman Rebirth.

- The return of Wally West in DC Rebirth one-shot.

Marvel comics:

- Marvel NOW!

- All-New Marvel

- I've lost track of how many times they've re-numbered their books.

- Captain America goes Hail Hydra.

- Marvel: Legacy.

- All books have dual numbering, meaning, both the re-numbering and their *actual* number they are at. For instance, The Immortal Hulk issue #1 had another number on the cover, issue #718. (2018).

- Dan Slott has finally *smh* left the Amazing Spider-Man title. Now the title is, dare I say,

amazing. (2018)

DC live-action films (DCEU):

- Final installment of the Nolan trilogy: TDKR

- Man of Steel, start of the DCEU. (2013). Mixed reactions. Rants due to the *snappening*

- BvS. Snyder's second DCEU film. DCEU is in a bad state. (2016)

- Suicide Squad, puts salt on the wound. (2016)

- Wonder Woman. There's still hope in the DCEU. (2017)

- Justice League. Whedon/Snyder frankenstein film. Begin of #TheSnyderCut movement. (2017)

- Aquaman. Great film, great visuals. The film has crossed the 1bn mark. The DCEU is finally back on track. (2018)

- Shazam! Yet another great film lauded by many fans.

- Joker (2019). *not released yet*.

Marvel Studios (MCU) films:

- Avengers. 2012. First MCU ensemble film. First MCU film that crossed the 1bn. mark.

- Captain America: The Winter Soldier. (2014). It proved the general audience Cap is a badass.

- Guardians of the Galaxy. (2014). Nobobdy knew about them, heck, not even comic book fans. They weren't such a famous team. Say no more, James Gunn shut all the hatters.

- Captain America: Civil War. The adaptation of the infamous comic. Fans had to choose a side. The repurcussions would be felt (still the case) the following years. (2016).

- The first introduction of Spider-Man in the MCU!

- Thor: Ragnarok. (2017). The first great Thor film.

- First MCU Spider-Man solo film. (2017). Fans are eagerly waiting for his next solo films.

- Black Panther. (2018). First film starring a black person as the main protagonist.

- Avengers: Infinity War. (2018). The culmination of 10-year build-up. THANOS a.k.a. the antagonist had a huge role in the film. Beginning of the #ThanosWasRight movement.

- Captain Marvel (2019). MCU's first female-led film.

- Avengers: Endgame *not released yet*

- Disney/Fox deal has been finalised. It's just a matter of time before we'll see the likes of Fantastic Four, X-Men (Wolverine, Cylops, Colossus, etc.) and Deadpool of course.

I may have forgotten many other points, let me know please!

What else does define the 2010s in terms of comics and live-action CBMs?

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

2010 CBM
Avengers
nuff said.

2010 comics
hot garbage (dc and marvel)

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Oh, sweet topic! Thanks for the tag. Although, I understand the discounting of Steel and Catwoman, but poor, poor, Blade. Blade 2 is better than most MCU movies.

DC Comics:

The Court of Owls altering Gotham's Origins- It's been adapted into Gotham and Batman Vs. Robin, and it was rumored to being adapted into a possible Rocksteady Arkham game so while it may not be appreciated as much as Year One or Batman Begins, it might be noteworthy since it's dealing with the lore of Batman, the Flagship DC character and one of the most significant characters in Pop-culture.

Marvel Comics:

MODOK Trump- While Hydra Cap was a massive indication on Marvel's stance on politics, MODOK Donald Trump is more direct in encapsulating Marvel's politics. Definitively, a turn from the much more favorable showing of Barack Obama in the Amazing Spider-man comic series (Additionally, I recall it being mentioned in the behind the scenes Into the Spider-verse Blu-Ray that there was a picture of Spider-man and Barack Obama)

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

pretty comprehensive summary. nicely done.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: Oh, sweet topic! Thanks for the tag.

Thanks for the comment. lol.

Although, I understand the discounting of Steel and Catwoman, but poor, poor, Blade. Blade 2 is better than most MCU movies.

I meant the 2010s. Those came out in the 2000s. :)

DC Comics:

The Court of Owls altering Gotham's Origins- It's been adapted into Gotham and Batman Vs. Robin, and it was rumored to being adapted into a possible Rocksteady Arkham game so while it may not be appreciated as much as Year One or Batman Begins, it might be noteworthy since it's dealing with the lore of Batman, the Flagship DC character and one of the most significant characters in Pop-culture.

Thanks! I'll add this one.

Marvel Comics:

MODOK Trump- While Hydra Cap was a massive indication on Marvel's stance on politics, MODOK Donald Trump is more direct in encapsulating Marvel's politics. Definitively, a turn from the much more favorable showing of Barack Obama in the Amazing Spider-man comic series (Additionally, I recall it being mentioned in the behind the scenes Into the Spider-verse Blu-Ray that there was a picture of Spider-man and Barack Obama)

Hmm interesting. I didn't know anything regarding MODOK during the 2010s.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@eto said:
@amazing_webhead said:

Thanks! Much appreciated!

you're welcome :)

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By adamTRMM

Overall CBMs- the dumber, the better, just put a laughmaker in between. The rule with only few exceptions.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By DeathandGrim

DC had two continuity resets because sales bruh. Marvel had like 30 events because ...sales also?

Hip "cool" Superman was a thing. He even became a blogger. I zoned out.

Rebirth happened and it was good. Then that fell apart. Superman got Bendis'd and I cancelled my sub for his books.

I didn't read Marvel really. But the Axel Alonso era certainly caused a shitfit among the fans didn't it. Nazi Cap was the worst business decision ever. And the variant cover making Magneto (a holocaust survivor) a Hydra agent was offensive as all hell.

Meanwhile the indie comics were great. Comics like Exlibrium and Meteora were great fun. Comics like Deadly Class and Saga ripped my heart straight outta my chest.

Marvel CBMs were fantastic for the most part, ranging from family friendly romps to insightful works of art. DC CBMs before AM and Shazam were abysmal only having Wonder Woman as a saving grace.

I'd say the defining trait of the 2010s: imbalance. Indies remain consistently good to great. Marvel and DC hardly have new ideas that aren't stupid.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why no Fox movies?

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@eto: Kind sold Marvel short by just mentioning the relaunches. You forgot the fact that Secret Wars 2 brought the Ultimate universe into the 616 and the everything with the Spider-Verse that definitely changed a whole lot