What DCEU should do to make films on par with MCU ?

• 91 results
MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jedixman said:

Wonder Woman is better than most of the MCU, and MoS is better than its weaker films. It needs writers that understand the characters. Focus on making character-driven movies and a movie universe will come naturally.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

Nothing. DCEU is already better.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By legacy6364

Focus on making a good movie.

Stop interfering with Directors.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By legacy6364

@agent41 said:
@legacy6364 said:

They just did all that.

Wonder Women is a decent movie at best. But it was still studio influenced.

lestrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By lestrange

@tomkatie said:

Make movies that tell individual stories, have stakes, and focus on what makes these characters (both protagonists and antagonists) different and important.

Wonder Woman was amazing because it did all of these. BvS was trash because it did none of these.

If DCEU movies did these a la Wonder Woman, their movies would be even better than MCU

MCU and stakes do not go together. You have been watching different movies bud. MCU has nothing but stakes. lol..

Most of the MCU flicks are average at best.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By legacy6364

@agent41 said:
@legacy6364 said:
@agent41 said:
@legacy6364 said:

They just did all that.

Wonder Woman is a good film. And mcu is not making groundbreaking movies. So it's not like the bar is so high. And all these movies are influenced and with marketing and making money in mind. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Just to clarify, I feel both the MCU and DCEU have too much studio influence. They care more about the numbers, and marketing. And less about making a good film.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By legacy6364

@agent41 said:
@legacy6364 said:
@agent41 said:
@legacy6364 said:
@agent41 said:
@legacy6364 said:

They just did all that.

Wonder Woman is a good film. And mcu is not making groundbreaking movies. So it's not like the bar is so high. And all these movies are influenced and with marketing and making money in mind. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Just to clarify, I feel both the MCU and DCEU have too much studio influence. They care more about the numbers, and marketing. And less about making a good film.

I understand that. But i also think they can care about the money and still make good movies. I enjoyed Wonder Woman and i enjoyed Deadpool. I don't think that movies can't be good just cos they have marketing involved.

Fair enough.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's an easy question. just make movies and stop trying to be the anti-marvel. it's hard to make a comic book movie without any humor because most mainstream comics are inherently humorous to some degree or another. even darker comics like batman have some humor in it. they were too busy trying not to be marvel instead of making movies. another thing is that they are trying to build a world instead of telling stories that flow naturally. you can't just rush this. marvel did their thing with lots of planning. dc is just trying to rush crap together. those companies better slow down with all this comic book movie nonsense, too. they are rushing them out there way too frequently. comic book movies made money because it was different. it should be something special to see your favorite hero on the big screen. it really cheapens them if they have a new comic book movie every 3 or 4 months or so.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tomkatie said:

Make movies that tell individual stories, have stakes, and focus on what makes these characters (both protagonists and antagonists) different and important.

Wonder Woman was amazing because it did all of these. BvS was trash because it did none of these.

If DCEU movies did these a la Wonder Woman, their movies would be even better than MCU

MCU and stakes do not go together. You have been watching different movies bud. MCU has nothing but stakes. lol..

Most of the MCU flicks are average at best.

I realize my post sounded confusing, I was more saying that DCEU movies should have stakes. I wasn't necessarily saying anything about MCU movies there.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@theamazingspidey:

you liked BvS more than MoS. MoS really kinda revoluntionized mid tier action scenes with the Zod vs Sperman for me. BvS had so much it had going, but I felt didn't deliver or execute them very well. What puts BvS over MoS for you?

A few things:

1. Better pacing. Man of Steel was very disorienting in the way it threw us from past to present with 2-minute flashbacks. By the time he finds the Fortress of Solitude, we've spent 6 minutes with adult Clark and he's barely said anything. BvS's first act was much better paced. Also, starting off the movie with Superman saving people in MoS was a terrible creative decision as it removes the tension of him making that decision.

2. BvS actually believes in heroism and shows Superman inspiring people.

3. Clear, definitive character arcs. How does Clark change from beginning of MoS to end? The only thing that changes is that he saves people in his suit instead of in casual clothing. I enjoyed Batman's redemption in BvS, and Superman developing into the paragon of heroism. Especially in the UC, I love when Batman almost brands Lex, but instead doesn't. As opposed to MoS. They could've used the drone scene as an opportunity to show Clark caaarefully set down the drone, to show us he's become more careful and in control of his powers, but instead he just carelessly demolishes it just like he did to the guy's truck earlier. Where's the character development?

4. Dialogue flows better and sounds more naturalistic. I still can't get behind Jonathan telling his son "you're the answer to are we alone in the universe." Why would you put that weight on your son? Don't you think you could handle telling your son that he's an alien with more grace? How about the terrible church scene when he asks the priest how to handle the situation? Or the Tornado scene? The fact that all the kids leave the classroom and surround Clark when he runs outside of class? Who does that? I've been in a situation where a guy ran out of class and no one followed in pursuit.

5. Less tonal confusion. Man of Steel goes from Superman killing someone, to a girl talking about how much she wants to F him.

6. I liked Alfred's sarcastic remarks and (bite me) Lex's zany personality in BvS. There's no looseness in MoS. Everything is so cold and the attempts are humour are border line cringe worthy and jarring.

7. No shots as dissonant as this, in BvS.

Anyway, I really enjoyed parts of MoS, such as the Smallville fight, Martha's character, the score (well, most of it), the Terraforming scene, Henry Cavill's performance... but overall I found it to be unsatisfying with almost non-existant character development for the titular character. And no, the fact that he's saving people in a suit instead of in civilian clothes... changes nothing for me.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Keep doing what they are doing now?

As far as I am concerned the DCEU are generally better than the majority of the MCU offerings, Suicide Squad hits the bottom, Winter Soldier exceeded expectations. But what we are again returning to is that the DCEU have, save WW, gotten a kicking by the critics and underperform at the box office. The box office is hard to compete with since the MCU has taken an all-ages Disney approach that appeals to everyone, both the parents and the kids, which isn't always in tune with what the characters have been in comics (Tony gets drunk in the movies, but he is not an alcoholic, stuff like that). While the DCEU stays closer to the comics... which has not been particularly kid friendly for a long time. And along with this comes the criticism because sticking to the comics means you are doing something with the characters that is outside of the layman's idea of what these characters are about or should be about.

What they could do however is what they did with Wonder Woman and make movies that are more positive. Like take MoS and have more of the kind of scenes where Superman is actually happy to have his powers... more of the flight scene essentially.

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually don't think they need to do anything; however, looking at most of the fans of MCU, they need to include more jokes, not have a serious plot or at least one that makes you think critically about what happens. Like seriously, people were shocked that Bucky killed IM's parents! It was obvious in the first three minutes of the movie. I walk out from a MCU movie thinking I just saw Transformers

AbelHsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AbelHsu

Again...just don't . do . stuff . like . s.u.i.c.i.d.e.s.q.u.a.d. ever

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get rid of snyder.

Keep patty jenkins, problem solved. Dceu is 1-3 keep the ball rolling.

from_beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superhero24 said:

@theamazingspidey:

you liked BvS more than MoS. MoS really kinda revoluntionized mid tier action scenes with the Zod vs Sperman for me. BvS had so much it had going, but I felt didn't deliver or execute them very well. What puts BvS over MoS for you?

A few things:

1. Better pacing. Man of Steel was very disorienting in the way it threw us from past to present with 2-minute flashbacks. By the time he finds the Fortress of Solitude, we've spent 6 minutes with adult Clark and he's barely said anything. BvS's first act was much better paced. Also, starting off the movie with Superman saving people in MoS was a terrible creative decision as it removes the tension of him making that decision.

3. Clear, definitive character arcs. How does Clark change from beginning of MoS to end? The only thing that changes is that he saves people in his suit instead of in casual clothing. I enjoyed Batman's redemption in BvS, and Superman developing into the paragon of heroism. Especially in the UC, I love when Batman almost brands Lex, but instead doesn't. As opposed to MoS. They could've used the drone scene as an opportunity to show Clark caaarefully set down the drone, to show us he's become more careful and in control of his powers, but instead he just carelessly demolishes it just like he did to the guy's truck earlier. Where's the character development?

4. Dialogue flows better and sounds more naturalistic. I still can't get behind Jonathan telling his son "you're the answer to are we alone in the universe." Why would you put that weight on your son? Don't you think you could handle telling your son that he's an alien with more grace? How about the terrible church scene when he asks the priest how to handle the situation? Or the Tornado scene? The fact that all the kids leave the classroom and surround Clark when he runs outside of class? Who does that? I've been in a situation where a guy ran out of class and no one followed in pursuit.

5. Less tonal confusion. Man of Steel goes from Superman killing someone, to a girl talking about how much she wants to F him.

6. I liked Alfred's sarcastic remarks and (bite me) Lex's zany personality in BvS. There's no looseness in MoS. Everything is so cold and the attempts are humour are border line cringe worthy and jarring.

Anyway, I really enjoyed parts of MoS, such as the Smallville fight, Martha's character, the score (well, most of it), the Terraforming scene, Henry Cavill's performance... but overall I found it to be unsatisfying with almost non-existant character development for the titular character. And no, the fact that he's saving people in a suit instead of in civilian clothes... changes nothing for me.

Good post. I prefer BVS to MOS as well for the same reasons that you have listed. Though, BVS has it's own set of problems but overall I found the movie to be better than MOS.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@from_beyond said:
@theamazingspidey said:
@superhero24 said:

@theamazingspidey:

A few things:

Good post. I prefer BVS to MOS as well for the same reasons that you have listed. Though, BVS has it's own set of problems but overall I found the movie to be better than MOS.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Not saying it doesn't have problems (it has plenty), but an improvement over MoS.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@theamazingspidey: Honestly not much. They know what thet did good and should be kept but they also reckon their mistakes. The studio needs not to interfere with their directors and trust them 100%. I liked every movie (barring SS) of the DCEU so I do not think the DCEU is doomed, however I concede that they have indeed some issues such as pacing, plot holes, incoherent storylines.

On the contrary, what do you mean by "on par"? Frankly, I have seen every Marvel movie and I can name only three movies that struck me thus far. If you mean "as well-received as Marvel", then I stand corrected because the DCEU has a long journey the go to compete with Marvel.

Tonight, I'm seeing WW so Icannot wait to wait to see it

Will post my review soon :)

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@theamazingspidey: Honestly not much. They know what thet did good and should be kept but they also reckon their mistakes. The studio needs not to interfere with their directors and trust them 100%. I liked every movie (barring SS) of the DCEU so I do not think the DCEU is doomed, however I concede that they have indeed some issues such as pacing, plot holes, incoherent storylines.

On the contrary, what do you mean by "on par"? Frankly, I have seen every Marvel movie and I can name only three movies that struck me thus far. If you mean "as well-received as Marvel", then I stand corrected because the DCEU has a long journey the go to compete with Marvel.

Tonight, I'm seeing WW so Icannot wait to wait to see it

Will post my review soon :)

That's sick that you're seeing WW tonight. Can't wait to talk about it with you.

Avatar image for conqueringchild
ConqueringChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Geoff Johns

Wewlad80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Wewlad80

Lol Rabid Fanboys here thinking that DCEU makes movies on par with MCU

Atleast try to make a story on par with FOX-Men or your own Arrowverse first

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hire Joss Whedon to direct and Danny Elfman to score...oh, wait.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mainjp said:
@buildhare said:
@jedixman said:

Wonder Woman is better than most of the MCU, and MoS is better than its weaker films. It needs writers that understand the characters. Focus on making character-driven movies and a movie universe will come naturally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wewlad80: rabid fanboys making coherent arguments. And then there's you.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
@farkam said:

Wonder Woman is as good as your average MCU movie; not great, but not horrible either.

So that makes it a good film in your opinion. I think a majority of the strong CB films fall into the good category more often than the great category.

Yeah, it was "good", but not exceptionally so.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 the_stegman  Moderator

Also, let's see a nipple or two.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avoid SS types. To me, the MCU's strength isn't that most of the movies are great,(Most of the are not) it's that they still haven't had one that I felt was a waste of time to see. Even the ones that aren't very good (IMO) like IM2, IM3, Thor and AoU were still a decent way to spend 2 hours and $6. (yeah, I see matinees.) While I didn't regret seeing BvS, I know that I only enjoyed it because of how much I love the two main characters. To me the film was a solid 7. But when my non-geeky friends asked me if they should see it, I said "No." I knew they wouldn't like it. Even with the worst MCU film (IM2, IMO) when they asked about that I replied with "Sure, but make sure you see the matinee, don't pay full price."

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@wewlad80: rabid fanboys making coherent arguments. And then there's you.....

My thoughts exactly.

Wewlad80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Dont tag me in a post with him, I have him blocked for a reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

focus on making a good movie dont worry about making a universe to be real only marvel can do that because they took their time perfecting it dc is trying to compete just focus on your own lane first i want a good movie first before a universe

as for movies they seem to do good with solo movies man of steel was average but wonder woman was good

group movies like batman v superman or suicide squad they lack in that department

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also a lot of people here are lying to themselves the dceu is far behind marvel in movies their casting is terrible and their plot is terrible marvel has some bad movies too bad they have a lot of good movies too be in denial all you want

lex luthor sucked

doomsday sucked

suicide squad sucked ironically people complaining about marvel making jokes while that whole movie is a joke

i really feel bad for people who believe they are on par with marvel while even fox shits on them

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep making movies.

@tomkatie said:

And the MCU movies have stakes?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

No Caption Provided

They should aim to do better, MCU has like 4 great films. The rest range from average to shit.

Wewlad80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Wewlad80
TheNoobStomper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have an interesting storyline, have a faithful depiction of the characters, water them down to a level where you can actually have a solid story without them being able to one shot every problem out of existance and most of all, have the characters interact with each other. To be honest, the parts about the MCU i enjoy the most, is watching the different characters interact. Sure, i like the fights and storylines etc. but not as much as the interactions. And here i am gonna throw a mini rant about Wonder Woman. I really had high expectations from it. I was hoping, let this be the first DCEU movie that i will watch without finding something to bitch about. Hope didn't come true. Sure, it was a hell lot better than MoS or BvS or Suicide Squad but some things really tilted me. Why does Ares, an ancient Greek deity, look like a god damn middle aged 19th century British gentleman? Then they tell us he killed the other Olympians....Ares did that...even for a fantasy flick thats a far stretch, considering in the original mythology he keeps getting owned by Athena in combat, let alone all 12 Olympians. That really set me off. And then Zeus, the god of gods, couldn't beat Ares himself without getting killed but he did make someone who can? What? And WW practically destroyed him. She barely struggled. Yes, he might have been soft on her but nevertheless its no excuse as to how easily she beat him. Also, Ares armor looked like it was made by a jumpster diver, come on now, you re a damn god, you can do better than that. I was expecting some glorious sword fighting and maybe a little bit of other powers but never got that. Dissapointed. I also hate Chris Pine's face.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers