what comics should i try?

thegaminboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thegaminboy

j/w b/c i'm new to comics and i've recently been buying JUST HULK COMICS, actually i've just started to read comics and i already have 30+ comics of the hulk. and while the hulk is a awesome character i've been wanting to read some other comics about different characters.

so, can you guys give me some ideas as to what other comics i should be reading? thanks.

GoocherLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GoocherLee

Boy did YOU come to the right place!

I've been collecting for almost thirty years now, so my tastes for new comics might be a little out of the ordinary or off the beaten path [JSA/GreenLantern/Supes/Avengers/X-MEN/Spidey etc.] from some of these other members, so consider that when perusing these recommendations.

DC- Mystery In Space w/ Captain Comet

Marvel- X-Factor

Image- After the Cape

Dark Horse- City of Others

Other- Conan

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NiteFly

If you like Hulk you may like X-Factor, Uncanny, or Ultimate X-Men. I also like Fell, but that's got a more gritty Sin City vibe to it. Can you give an example of what kind of stories or characters you are looking for? We may be able to give you better help if we know what kind of stories you like.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Darkchild

Also Punisher is a great comic

but if u like graphic novels one of the best in my mind is Sin City

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

Madman

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I read Madman because your review said I could jump on with this book, and I liked it. What you said about the art was spot on. I was a fair bit confused but it was fun like you said it would be.

Red L.A.M.P.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Red L.A.M.P.

Y The Last Man.

http://www.comicvine.com/comic/y-the-last-man/9419/

There's no superheros, it's more sci-fi in a real post-apocalyptic world. And you can buy I think 6(?) volumes in graphic novel form, so you'd get to read the entire story.

Post Edited:2007-04-19 13:07:53

Prodigal Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Prodigal Son

Some may think this is crazy, but my suggestion is save up a load of cash, and then visit the comic shop each week for a month. Buy everything new that looks interesting, starting with "mainstream" stuff and whatever other suggest you try out. If you can afford it, do it for two months, then make a decision on what to buy after you see what has caught your interest.

Above all, be open to new stuff. Always save a little extra cash if you can to buy at least one title you've not tried/haven't read in a while each time you visit the shop. Make friends with the owner, tell them what you've liked in the past, and be open to their suggestions.

My suggestions:

• any of the "X" titles (X-Men, X-Factor, Excalibur

• Cable and Deadpool

• any Spider-Man (including Ultimate)

• New Avengers

• Runaways

• Invincible

thegaminboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thegaminboy

thanks everybody for your post!!! keep'em coming! also nitefly, the kinds of stories i'm looking for would be....action!!! that's why i've been buying the incredible hulk. and as far as characters...it doesn't really matter as long as it's in the comic book genre ie: marvel, dc, whatever spawn is in (can't remember the company name). and thanks everybody for your replies!

NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NiteFly

Punisher often has a lot of action in it. I still say Fell is good, even though it would be more thought than action. It is a detective book and all of the stories are self contained so you can just pick up an issue without really missing anything. Uncanny X-Men has had some decent stuff going on especially with the current Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar empire stuff going on.

thegaminboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thegaminboy

not trying to stray from the topic, but what;s the difference between a graphic novel and a comic book? just wondering b/c i've never knew what the difference between the two was. also i've just recently picked up a copy of the incredible hulk: Boiling point. is this a graphic novel? j/w b/c it looks different than a normal comic book. and i'm sorry for straying from the topic, i'm just curious. and nitefly i'll problly check those out when i have the money.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell

All of them dawg. Try every single one you can.

Intervener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Intervener

A Graphic Novel is longer than one comic. It would be similar to the difference between one short story, and a book of the, or maybe a novel.

But back to the topic, Ultimate Spider-Man is one of my all time favorites, it's what got me into comics about a year ago. You might like Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis, and you'll want to keep an eye out for all of the World War Hulk titles that will be coming out soon.
Post Edited:2007-04-19 14:59:26

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck

Buckshot says:

"I read Madman because your review said I could jump on with this book, and I liked it. What you said about the art was spot on. I was a fair bit confused but it was fun like you said it would be."

Great. Don't worry, I was a little confused too. It's a fun trippy ride. Image is gonna reprint all the old stories but it'll cost over a hundred bucks. The crossover with Superman (Hullabaloo) is another good, self-contained storyline.

Y The Last Man is good as RedLAMP mentioned. I'm still catching up on the trades. Runaways was surprisingly good. But then both of those are by Brian K Vaughan. I'd suggest picking up the Brubaker Captain America trades. Only he could bring Bucky back.

Also Ultimate Spider-Man has been pretty consistent. Or just go the cheap route and pick up some of the Marvel Essential books. Sure they're in black and white but you get a boat-load of classic stories.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Final Arrow

Red L.A.M.P. says:

"*Y The Last Man*. http://www.comicvine.com/comic/y-the-last-man/9419/ There's no superheros, it's more sci-fi in a real post-apocalyptic world. And you can buy I think 6(?) volumes in graphic novel form, so you'd get to read the entire story.
Post Edited:2007-04-19 13:07:53"

I totally agree , Also on a totally diffrent wave length try Nightwing not main stream but still a good read the rengade stuff is good Also have a look at ronin and Batman Year one.

Intervener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Intervener

I totally forgot to mention Nightwing. That series is really good.

thegaminboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thegaminboy

so far i have the whole exile story arch in planet hulk. and part 1 of 2 in the armageddon arch. (yeah, i know it ain't in order) but what sucks is my comic book store hasn't got anymore of the planet hulk comic books. i still need anarchy (i think) and something else before i get into the armageddon part (in which i need part 2)

oh well...if my comic book store doesn't get the rest of planet hulk in stock (which ALL issues are already out) i'll just wait until june and pick up hulk: planet hulk: hc which has all the planet hulks in order plus giant size hulk #1 and some other story

thegaminboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thegaminboy

nightwing?? that sounds pretty cool. how is the stories in his comics?