What are the stages a comic goes through?

Ktyure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ktyure

I was wondering what are the stages a comic goes through. I recently saw some comic art that was described as " A Print of the Inking Stage". I was wondering what does that mean? Does that mean that the art is a reproduction or a original?

Any help clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Inking comes after the pencils.  It makes the line work darker, giving it that thick black outline.  Sometimes fixing mistakes made by the penciller, or making editorial changes at the last minute.

A print of the inking stage is just a black & white image.  No other colour.  Just the black inks on the white page.

Ktyure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ktyure

So when they say a print of the inking stage, does that mean a copy of the penciler's original work is sent to the inker. Then the inker works on the copy of the penciller's work, which is what they mean when they say it is a print of the inking stage?

Another question is; after the inking stage, do they then make a copy of the inker's work for the colorist? The colorist then hand paints the work to produce a prototype for the printers?

So when they refered to the comic art work as a "print of the inking stage", can I assume that print means it's a copy of the penciler's work but an original of the inker?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

Yes.

Yes, although most colours are done digitally these days.  So I guess they scan the inked work for the colourer to work on.  This is why it's possible to buy comic art in the inked stage, without any colours on.

Anything described as a Print or Copy is just that... a copy.  It will probably be a limited edition (where they make only a small amount), but chances are it wont be one of a kind. 

I sound like an expert :p