What are Joe Casey current projects ? is there something a release date for the next trade of "Sex" ?

ghinzdra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghinzdra

I recently read Sex from Joe Casey and was surprised in a very good way : it was a very fresh angle on the superhero genre, something that I would have thought extremely unlikely after more than 70 years of history that saw everything ranging from genre mashup (marvel noir, batman red rain,. ), futur ( marvel 2099, dc beyond) , retro (marvel 1602,.) civilian standpoint( marvels,astro city, gotham central,.) deconstructionism (Watchmen,.) and reconstructionism (Kingdom Come,.).

Now arrested development and sexual frustration are not completely novel thems : they were dealt with to some extent in Watchmen, specifically with the character of Rorschach. But as far as I know "Sex" is the first book that makes it a central concept in spite of the fact that a character like Batman has been repeatedly called out by major writers like Grant Morrison or Frank miller as being sexually deviant.

Now the book isn't perfect - it's clearly a slow burner, I m a bit worried about where it's going with the new order conspiracy thing and the arcane mystery around the prank artist, I feel like the latest issues have put aside Simon Cooke efforts to find a normal life - but it really push things around : all the characters have a sexual life ranging from utmost depravity (the old man) to your regular run-of-the-mill sex life ( brash young man, busy executive woman, jaded reporter) to sexual misery ( overly weak man crushed by his wife, etc... ) to completely arrested sexual development (the armored saint who is a thinly veiled Batman character ). So obviously graphic depiction of sexual acst are rather standard in the course of the book but overall I don't feel they are gratuitious and serve the global them, allowing parallels, making points about the limits and weaknesses of each character.

There is a rather uncanny feeling of life compared to the stock characters that seems to be the bread and butter of the superhero genre. So I'm rather hooked. Unfortunetaly it seems the regular serie has come to a stop with issue 34 in december 2016. It has been mentioned that it would resume as a "graphic novel format".

I haven't seen anything since. Did you hear anything else ? I would be very disappointed if it wasn't completed as it's a very unique book.

By the way am I mistaken about the rather unique concept of this book ? do you know other book that deal with similar thems ?

Also it made me curious about Joe Casey writing. Like mentioned I m not convinced about everything in his "Sex" book as he seems to be juggling with way too many balls at the time (by the most conservative estimate, I count easily 7 subplots running at the same time) but there's no denying that it's bold and fresh. What do you think of his writing ? is there anything else from him that you would recommand ?