Werewolves in TV Shows

Perniicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So this may have been done numerous times but since I am new to this forum and after looking have not found any thread of the sort i have a question for this community.

So after watching a lot of fantasy TV shows (primarily of vampires and werewolves) I must say I'm more of a werewolf guy but I noticed that werewolves in TV shows are so lackluster and weak. After research on werewolf mythology; the only conclusion was werewolves were immense power houses but in the shows they just turn into mere wolves. Those were skin walkers but the Tv shows just make werewolves into wolves. Shows like Teen-wolf i feel like did a good job.

My question to the community is which do you think is stronger? Werewolf or vampires? and Do you feel like shows do the werewolves justice?

My answer would be werewolves (Obviously) there are Pureblood werewolves who can shift on control and there are day walker vampires who can walk in the day which isnt that interesting. Werewolves have near invulnerability but they are mortal and live in human ages. I just feel like werewolves pack more of a punch. Anyways you decide

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The typical lore is that a werewolf can teat apart a single vamp, although your mileage may vary.

Couple werewolf show I enjoyed in my youth, mind you very dated, but I really enjoyed them:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Well, I assume it's cheaper and would look better to just bring in trained wolves for a tv show instead of using CG to make a man/wolf hybrid. That's probably why many shows do it. The writers of True Blood said they wanted to have a werewolf be just that, a man who became a wolf, and that it kept in line with other shifters in their universe, such as werepanthers.

In terms of power, I say Vampire Diaries werewolves are pretty powerful. They are just as strong as vampires (when in wolf form) able to break chains, knock down reinforced doors, and over power vamps. They also move fast enough to become blurs and have rapid healing. Also, their bites are actually fatal to vampires, giving them a leg up.

The only other show I remember with a full blown wolfman was Buffy/Angel, where they looked like this.

No Caption Provided

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I assume it's cheaper and would look better to just bring in trained wolves for a tv show instead of using CG to make a man/wolf hybrid. That's probably why many shows do it. The writers of True Blood said they wanted to have a werewolf be just that, a man who became a wolf, and that it kept in line with other shifters in their universe, such as werepanthers.

In terms of power, I say Vampire Diaries werewolves are pretty powerful. They are just as strong as vampires (when in wolf form) able to break chains, knock down reinforced doors, and over power vamps. They also move fast enough to become blurs and have rapid healing. Also, their bites are actually fatal to vampires, giving them a leg up.

The only other show I remember with a full blown wolfman was Buffy/Angel, where they looked like this.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Teen Wolf tv series

No Caption Provided

LaPresagio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree I watched teen wolf until season 5 I kind of fell off during 4 though they were starting to do to much IMO.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

No mention of Ethan Chandler from Penny Dreadful? That wolf was awesome.

No Caption Provided

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

@rockette: I've never seen Teen Wolf, I thought they only did the hairy face human wolves.

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath:

Right?!

@rockette: I've never seen Teen Wolf, I thought they only did the hairy face human wolves.

Oh no, they go full were-tard, from time to time.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@the_stegman: @rockette: That was way back in S1

I only watched Seasons 1 & 2. My woman watched 'til recently. They never go full were-tard again?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

@rockette: Not with cgi.

Oh!

You have pics of full wolf mode recently?

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best representation I've seen of werewolves on TV are on Teen Wolf. Vampire Diaries and Syfy's Being Human did a decent job, they constantly overpowered vampires in wolf form but get treated like cannon fodder in human form especially the hybrids in vampire diaries.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

@king_nomarch: yeah, the hybrids in Vampire Diaries were pretty pathetic. But I don't blame regular werewolf for being overpowered by vampires when they are not in wolf form, they're pretty much just human.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vampires are solo creatures and warewolves are a pack creature. There's a reason for that. In 1v1, most of the vampires would beat warewolves from their respective verses. That's why warewolves always live in packs. A pack of warewoles>>One vampire.

@king_nomarch: yeah, the hybrids in Vampire Diaries were pretty pathetic. But I don't blame regular werewolf for being overpowered by vampires when they are not in wolf form, they're pretty much just human.

Hybrids are the most powerful creatures in TVDverse barring witches.

Avatar image for stvblackrose801
stvblackrose801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not much of a fan of when they show Werewolves as just wolves and not the part human part work kind. I also prefer the kind that can transform on will but are more powerful during the full moon.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought the Werewolf would be physically superior while the Vampire had other tricks like turning into bats, having a mist form, mind compulsion etc., which allowed them to fight on even grounds with the wolves.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

Vampires are solo creatures and warewolves are a pack creature. There's a reason for that. In 1v1, most of the vampires would beat warewolves from their respective verses.That's why warewolves always live in packs. A pack of warewoles>>One vampire.

I think that's why I liked the Underworld series, it was pretty much vice versa.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: The show did a poor job showing it. Hybrids were getting killed off left and right easily and Klaus always struggled with Elijah and Mikael was outright better in every way.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I never expected them to be much of a threat in their human forms but yeah the hybrids were pathetic.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RBT

@king_nomarch said:

@rbt: The show did a poor job showing it. Hybrids were getting killed off left and right easily and Klaus always struggled with Elijah and Mikael was outright better in every way.

Hybrids were nameless fodders, so that didn't help them. Named hybrids were resilient. A hunter tried to kill Tyler several times and failed. Same hunter was fodderizing vamps.

Mikeal being better was more of a psychological issue for Klaus. And Klaus never lost to Elijah without plot. The only vamp who ever defeated Klaus in 1v1 was Alaric. But he was a super vampire basically.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

Vampires are solo creatures and warewolves are a pack creature. There's a reason for that. In 1v1, most of the vampires would beat warewolves from their respective verses.That's why warewolves always live in packs. A pack of warewoles>>One vampire.

I think that's why I liked the Underworld series, it was pretty much vice versa.

I actually tried watching them because of that very fact. Too bad the movies are horrible.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uugieboogie

@rbt said:
@uugieboogie said:
@rbt said:

I actually tried watching them because of that very fact. Too bad the movies are horrible.

Really? I can understand Awakening and Blood Wars but about the first 2 and Rise of The Lycans?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:
@uugieboogie said:
@rbt said:

Really? I can understand Awakening and Blood Wars but about the first 2 and Rise of The Lycans?

I have only watched first movie. It was decent. Couldn't sit through next one. I might give it another shot. I never realized just how hot Kate Beckinsale is.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uugieboogie

@rbt said:
@uugieboogie said:
@rbt said:
@uugieboogie said:
@rbt said:

I have only watched first movie. It was decent. Couldn't sit through next one. I might give it another shot. I never realized just how hot Kate Beckinsale is.

If anything skip the second one and go to the third one (Rise of The Lycans). It's more or so a prequel and shows how the feud started. There's also less shootouts and more sword fights if that helps.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

@rbt: They're supposed to be, and Klaus certainly is, but most are fodder.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: We've learned the name of quite a few hybrids that were easily killed off like Dean, Mindy, Chris, Dwayne, Tony, and Nate. Tyler only lived as long as he did was due to his status as a main character even though he wasn't treated like one. The only hybrid shown to put up a fight was Ray. Hybrids didn't last long after their introduction while some were lucky to survive their introduction.

Klaus' psychological issues when it comes to confronting Mikael seemed to have died with the first time he killed him. The first time we see them fight Klaus barely beats a weakened Mikael and then later gets staked by Mikael who was still weakened.

That show was filled with inconsistencies when it came to power levels especially when it came to hybrids and originals.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one mentions Monroe from the serie Grimm:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Lost Girl has a pretty cool Werewolf named Dyson, he's probably my 3rd favorite character from the show.

I don't agree with the whole Werewolves being inferior to Vampires sentiment however. The real edge that Vampires have on their side is longevity.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

Vampires are solo creatures and warewolves are a pack creature. There's a reason for that. In 1v1, most of the vampires would beat warewolves from their respective verses. That's why warewolves always live in packs. A pack of warewoles>>One vampire.

To be fair, vampires aren't hunters. They are social predators that make themselves appear like their prey species (humans) in order to lure them away from groups and kill them stealthily. Meanwhile werewolves have to take down their prey with superior physical strength and speed, as they can't blend in with human society in their predatory form.

For this reason I tend to prefer the settings where the werewolf is physically superior to the vampire, but the vampire has other tricks like beguilement and shapeshifting that makes them deadly. In my opinion settings that make their vampires absurdly strong and fast and near indestructible (True Blood, Twilight, etc) are missing the point of the vampire. They aren't frightening because they can maul you, that's what werewolves do, they are scary because that guy that is pretty charming and sweet secretly intends to rip out your throat the second he gets you alone and you have no idea.

Also, weirdly enough, werewolves rarely travel in packs in pop culture. I'm not sure why that is as they very well should be pack predators, but most movies and TV shows have werewolves as solo apex predators stalking groups of humans, where as vampires form cabals and large shadow organizations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eh it used to bother me. If youbare looking for a Werewolf like the one from Bad Moon, or Cursed, that just isn't going to happen. Cost too much.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Zetsu-San

@metaljimmor said:

Also, weirdly enough, werewolves rarely travel in packs in pop culture. I'm not sure why that is as they very well should be pack predators, but most movies and TV shows have werewolves as solo apex predators stalking groups of humans, where as vampires form cabals and large shadow organizations.

Nah.

Wolves hunt in packs because their prey is often bigger/stronger or faster than them. It's also something that primarily happens in winter (spring and summer, wolves hunt small animals alone just fine). That's not really an issue when it comes to werewolves hunting humans.

In fact, being in a werewolf pack is downright dangerous, as it's hard enough for a werewolf to blend in when by themselves. A whole bunch of them would draw attention really fast. Plus, the idea of having to cope with lycanthropy without any sort of help or guidance is part of the horror, and the fact that wolves are associated with packs is a sort of fridge brilliance in it's own way.

Also, despite popular belief, a "wolf pack" is really just a normal family unit. It's not just random wolves coming together because "must hunt in packs". In fact most male wolves will be alone for a time, because their goal is to find a mate and start their own "pack".

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MetalJimmor

@zetsumoto:

Those are all fair points. It was just an interesting observation given both humans and wolves are communal creatures, but werewolves are almost always depicted as solo hunters. Your explanations make a great deal of sense though. A werewolf wouldn't need to work in a pack because their prey is so much weaker than they are.

You're especially right with the horror aspect. The horror from a vampire story is from the perspective of the human being preyed upon, or the human who sees the vampire for what it is and can't convince their loved ones that they are in danger. The horror from a werewolf story is from the perspective of the werewolf becoming the danger to their loved ones. The fear of being responsible for hurting the people you love and having no control over it. Which I personally find to be a more interesting story, which is why I typically prefer werewolves over vampires when done correctly.

That horror would be greatly diminished if they found a new community to be a part of and established new relationships among their own kind.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zetsu-San

@metaljimmor:

The horror from a vampire story is from the perspective of the human being preyed upon, or the human who sees the vampire for what it is and can't convince their loved ones that they are in danger.

I can't say I agree. The horror of a vampire story can very well be told from the perspective of the vampire. It can involve the fear of being responsible for hurting the people you love as well as the fear of becoming an actual monster/parasite that needs to kill just to live.

This is why I consider Tokyo Ghoul (despite ghouls being able to go out into sunlight and the word vampire never once being used in the story) to be far more of a vampire story than the majority of actual vampire movies/series.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say the wolves from Underworld were pretty cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's really up to the writers. Either could come out on top. My preference for who wins is usually dictated by how good a job they do. I've felt equally drawn to both, so far, based on shows I've seen.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto:

Eh, I've never been a fan of trying to turn the vampire into a sympathetic figure. Chiefly because every time you do that the vampire almost always ends up becoming an anti-hero of sorts, or becomes a creature of sex appeal (again like True Blood and Twilight). The vampire's natural immortality and eternal youth makes for a very, very easy figure to romanticize, so giving it humanity and regret (Read: Reason to Brood) is an easy slippery slope. And once you start romanticizing something it becomes a lot harder to feel frightened.

This story works better for werewolves, in my opinion, because the werewolf transformation necessitates a loss of control. There is no humanity in the monster holding it back, and the wolf itself doesn't regret it's choices. The guilt comes in after the transformation when the victim is human again.

Granted there's room for werewolf and vampire stories that aren't meant to be scary. I've seen part of Tokyo Ghoul recently so I get what you're saying, but I never really felt afraid for the main character. Especially once he starts working in a nice coffee shop. But then it doesn't strike me as a horror series. More of an action anime.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rockette: you literally showed the only two monster werewolves in teenwolf. Excluding Alpha Peter and The Beast all that's left as impressive is combined twin alpha form and possibly Ducaleon. Though I do like how the Alpha back was presented more like a pack than any other show.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im comfortable with werewolves being inferior to Vampires. I think Werewolves should always be a threat, but in comics, manga, books, Movies, and TV series the best Werewolf always loses hands down to the best Vampire 90% of the time. However Werewolves are cooler. Its like comparing Vegeta to Goku or Batman to Superman. One is over all powerful with incredible powers, the other is faulty but bad ass and straight to the point lol.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RukelnikovFTW

In World of Darkness (Tabletop RPG) Werewolfs are powerhouses with lore, lots of spiritual shit and rituals, and most of the time a single WW would beat a single Vampire fighting head on. Vamps are more about mental/emotional powers, but still a good deal above regular humans in physicals.

These are the 5 forms a WW can take in that verse:

No Caption Provided

Perniicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Uh i would have to disagree. werewolves have always been stronger then vampire in a mythical sense. (Some say Werewolves were made as a counter measure to vamps) The only problem is that werewolves lacks consistency as they had to transform to fight and feral werewolves had no control over the transformation without training. A werewolf is equal or stronger then a vampire. Not weaker then.