• 97 results
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/wonder-woman-oscars-patty-jenkins-gal-gadot-comic-book-1202509132/

Now Warner Bros., the studio behind the film, wants the action movie to break another glass ceiling. Although executives haven’t commented publicly on their plans, they have internally discussed launching a formidable awards-season campaign for the movie, in the hopes of making it the first comic-book film nominated for best picture, Variety has learned.

The studio will also stump Patty Jenkins for best director, which would also be groundbreaking. No director of a comic-book film — not even Christopher Nolan — has ever been nominated, and only men have ruled the category since (and before) Kathryn Bigelow won the Oscar for “The Hurt Locker” in 2010.

......LMAO

Damn, this movie has been gassed up to almost comical levels at this point. An Oscar nomination?? Seriously?! I'm not going to get into specifics, but Wonder Woman doesn't even deserve to be considered. However, part of me wants it to get nominated just to sit back and watch the flames

I guess this might be relevant again

No Caption Provided

We know how the critics chose with the reviews, but how will the Academy members choose with the nomination?? Will the potential threat of #Oscarssomale influence anything?? I guess we'll see....

lol

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol no.

Also really? critics labelled it good because of feminism?

Thats just being ignorant. It was a good movie hence the reviews. Most people liked it. Its audience scores are also in line with critics. It is also the most leggiest superhero movie of all time. Its surpassing all finanial expectations

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

800 mill baby. Anyway even if it got there Patty Jenkins won't get best director's oscar lol, chill.

Yarva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Academy awards are jokes now. Last years nominees and winners were awful. Moonlight in particular was a really boring movie with an uninteresting plot and no actors that had great performances and it won so yeah. It's all subjective though.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

However, part of me wants it to get nominated just to sit back and watch the flames

Does or doesn't, flames come on both ends.

MungenMuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MungenMuncher

@

@buttersdaman000 said:

An Oscar nomination?? Seriously?!

Well, there are people who actually believe that Logan does. Some even put Dafne keen forward for an oscar. mind=blown

So i wouldh't be surprised.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@buttersdaman000: Not the feminist excuse.

Oscars have nominated many that some people thought didn't deserve it. Some that won had some people confused so what?. And wasn't suicide squad nominated for an oscar?. I don't remember the category.

I knew fate would bring you here first

To say there isn't truth in Wonder Woman being critically and artistically praised because of the cultural aspects of the film is intellectually dishonest. There's no way it deserves a nomination in any category.

Besides the tripe that is The Blind Side (which people still hate), I can't think of any undeserving nominated movie that Wonder Woman is better than. Can you? I mean, would you honestly defend a nomination?

The Oscar Winning Suicide Squad won for makeup

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol no.

Thats just being ignorant. It was a good movie hence the reviews. Most people liked it. Its audience scores are also in line with critics. It is also the most leggiest superhero movie of all time. Its surpassing all finanial expectations

I don't think I mentioned feminism? I put a satirical picture i've been using since this movie was announced in the OP because I think it applies. But...I also don't think the movie deserves a 7.5 average on RT....hmm....maybe it was the femnazis???? lol

Anyways, do you think it deserves nominations?

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. I don't see it getting nominated for any of the awards that are actually talked about; best actress, best director, best pic etc...I can see it getting a nom for the usual stuff cbm's get a bone for, which is the tech stuff; visuals, sound, wardrobe etc.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys remember the rumors that Paramount was going to push Optimus Prime to be nominated for Best Actor?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto: Giant robots need representation more in movies!

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@agent41 said:

@buttersdaman000: Not the feminist excuse.

Oscars have nominated many that some people thought didn't deserve it. Some that won had some people confused so what?. And wasn't suicide squad nominated for an oscar?. I don't remember the category.

I knew fate would bring you here first

To say there isn't truth in Wonder Woman being critically and artistically praised because of the cultural aspects of the filmis intellectually dishonest. There's no way it deserves a nomination in any category.

Besides the tripe that is The Blind Side (which people still hate), I can't think of any undeserving nominated movie that Wonder Woman is better than. Can you? I mean, would you honestly defend a nomination?

The Oscar Winning Suicide Squad won for makeup

Ditto.

Saying it was praised only because she is a woman is intelectually dishonest.

Shakespeare in Love, As Good as It Gets, My Cousin Vinny, BUtterfield 8, come to mind. But this is all subjective.

You can't cherry pick my sentences.

To say there isn't truth in Wonder Woman being critically and artistically praised because of the cultural aspects of the film is intellectually dishonest. There's no way it deserves a nomination in any category.

This whole thing goes together. If WW is nominated for anything, then yeah, it's 100% because she's the first woman super hero to lead a movie.

I haven't seen butterfield 8, but the rest of those movies are definitely better. Subjectiveness only goes so far. You can objectively assess the quality of a movie.

@agent41 said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@thelastdragonborn said:

Lol no.

I don't think I mentioned feminism? I put a satirical picture i've been using since this movie was announced in the OP because I think it applies. But...I also don't think the movie deserves a 7.5 average on RT....hmm....maybe it was the femnazis???? lol

Anyways, do you think it deserves nominations?

But a majority liked it. That's all there is to it.

Which only has to do with it's percentage, not its score

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gotoucanario

Also TDK got robbed.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Aight it wasn't that good.

MungenMuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theCrazyBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By theCrazyBean

It was a good movie, and Gal did a good job. But she does not deserve a best actress award, and Jenkins is definitely not getting best director, we've had better movies this year.

I have no idea how they choose best picture so I can't give good reasons for WW winning or not winning that, however imo Dunkirk has better picture and Ragnarok has showed us some beautiful scenes.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By PeterParkerJr

Lol, it'll get nominations for visuals, costumes, and cinematography. That's it. Anything more is wishful thinking.

@yarva said:

Academy awards are jokes now. Last years nominees and winners were awful. Moonlight in particular was a really boring movie with an uninteresting plot and no actors that had great performances and it won so yeah. It's all subjective though.

I never got the hype behind Moonlight. I didn't think it was anything that special either. La La Land, Hidden Figures, Fences, Hell or High Water - all better movies and more deserving of Best Picture.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

No, just no...

Thesenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. If Andy Serkis hasn't gotten a nom then Gal shouldn't either.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie wasn't even directed that well some of the cgi wasn't to stellar but I still loved it Gal was good but Oscar worthy lol no

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was a good movie but the way it is being treated just because it is about a woman is starting to make me dislike it.

Blackstar_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planet of the Apes better win best visual award.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
@jayc1324 said:

I thought this was a good movie but the way it is being treated just because it is about a woman is starting to make me dislike it.

And what proof of that do you have?. Maybe it's because it's the only DC movie this decade that wasn't panned. So they are trying to make the most out of it. It's not a big deal. Dislike a movie because a studio wants to get an oscar nomination?. Oh ok.

They are clearly doing this because it is directed by a woman. Hence their mentioning of the glass ceiling and the fact that no women have won since 2010. There is also the fact that the movie isn't worthy of an Oscar, neither is the directing.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lul

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was more than pleased that Wonder Woman was actually a good film. I Was so scared it was going to be another Suicide Squad.... I could care less about it winning an Academy Award.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all, people really need to stop putting the Oscars on such a pedestal. It is just an industry trade awards show. If the academy wants to pat WW and Patty Jenkins on the back because of political reasons, it wouldn't be the first or last time something like that has happened.

Secondly, worst movies and less talented people have won Oscars in the past. So, don't act like everyone that wins are Brando or Hitchcock level talent and every movie is Citizen Kane (which exposes the awards as it only won one award as a gesture to the veteran screenwriter)

At least a movie that I liked (and actually bothered to see) could be nominated.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just imagine the outrage if WW actually wins Best Picture award. Zack Snyder would be the one accepting it.

And WW got good reviews because of feminism? Lol.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Meh like I care. Also yes La La Land was robbed by Moonlight even though is all subjective and to be fair I guess there more thing to chew on with Moonlight even if the ending over stays it welcome.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rogueshadow  Moderator

Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Irony

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#42  Edited By black_wreath

It has zero chance of winning but every possibility of being nominated but the reason for that has little to do with feminism or, at least, little to do with it beyond lip service...

The Academy really doesn't want to nominate this but they have learned the hard way that if they go all-out on the whole maintaining the "sanctity" of this shallow-ass ceremony schtick like they did recently then the ratings for it will plummet. They've learned they need to nominate at least some films the masses actually give a shit about because if they only nominate indie auteur stuff or "Oscar bait" - nobody watches.

Personal opinion: even if I don't buy into the hype of the Oscars, I realize some people do and because of this I feel it serves no purpose to award their "stamp of approval" to a blockbuster when it would benefit a smaller project so much infinitely more. A nomination is fine by me but a win for a superhero movie would be a waste.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW was great but it doesn't deserve this.

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like other people have said, Wonder Woman was a good film, but does not deserve to be nominated for these categories. But honestly, with how much flak the academy awards got two years ago, it may happen. They may try and over correct an issue they had in the past. I personally enjoyed Logan more, and I think when it was rated by critics it was rated differently than Wonder Woman, but I wouldn't be surprised or against the fact that Logan doesn't get nominated either. There are a lot of great movies to consider this year, that should be considered before Wonder Woman or even Logan.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Lvenger

WW was a decent film but in no way does it deserve to be nominated for any Oscars. I'm fine with CBMs not being Oscar worthy as long as they're good and entertaining movies. The awards ceremony is overrated nowadays.

apewar012467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By apewar012467

It was a good movie, and Gal did a good job. But she does not deserve a best actress award, and Jenkins is definitely not getting best director, we've had better movies this year.

I have no idea how they choose best picture so I can't give good reasons for WW winning or not winning that, however imo Dunkirk has better picture and Ragnarok has showed us some beautiful scenes.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: look at you hating lol. To make this thread, you must be really hurting inside. You're no fan. You're some biased ignorant. As a true fan you should be glad any of these movies are at least nominated.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BullPR

From what I read a long time ago, and I don't have a ref right now, lobbying is the main reason behind most of the nomination, as it is not a blind process. So if WB goes really all in, WW will definitely be nominated.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Planet of the Apes better win best visual award.

Honestly, it had the most breathtaking shots I've seen since The Revenant.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: look at you hating lol. To make this thread, you must be really hurting inside. You're no fan. You're some biased ignorant. As a true fan you should be glad any of these movies are at least nominated.

I consider myself a film fan in general before a CBM fan though so....

Also, this is rich

You're some biased ignorant

You gotta finish the sentence dummy!

@agent41 said:

She is not.

Those movies have nothing in common with Wonder Woman. And yes movies like music are subjective.

Well. A majority of critics also liked it. Sue them.

What other woman super heroes have ever headlined a CBM that wasn't complete trash? All I can think of is Elektra and Catwoman.

Those movies have nothing in common with Wonder Woman

.....That was never the point. How did you give me a reply that fit the context without actually understanding the context?

No, movies and music are not purely subjective. Can you honestly tell me "Pixels" and "There Will Be Blood" are of comparable quality? Or, what if I went on stage, played a broken rendition of "Jingle Bells" with the trombone I haven't picked up in years and tried to compare my quality to Julliard student?? Nobody can tell you what you should like, which is the subjective quality of film, but there's truth in arguing what's better.

Bleh critics liked Wonder Woman because it was easy to digest lol