Was Marvel more socially aware then DC

Glabal500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

do you believe Marvel was more socially aware in the 60s, 70s then DC was when it came to social movements, philosophy, ethical questions etc.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Who cares? They are comic books. I am not looking for "real life" scenarios in them.

Nor should you

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they are more infatuated with politics and pop culture than DC. What that translates to, how whether it is good or bad is based on perspective.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JulieDC

Yeah maybe even today to an extent given that they use real presidents while DC uses fictional people, but I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing. I am not a huge fan of blatant politics being injected into comics because if I disagree with the writer's opinion, then it ruins the comic book for me...and even if I do agree, I still don't care for the politics because the whole point of escapist entertainment is to be entertained not reminded of the very thing I am trying trying to escape.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Who cares? They are comic books. I am not looking for "real life" scenarios in them.

Nor should you

Why shouldn't he?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Yes, Marvel was more socially aware....40 years ago.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nor should you

This.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep the Mutants being a metaphor for the gay community when it wasn't socially acceptable to take a side is a good example.

@cezar_thescribe: The more it represents real problems, the more you can relate to it.

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Don't forget about the Green Lantern/Green Arrow anti-drug issues vol2 #85-86!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I think they are more infatuated with politics and pop culture than DC. What that translates to, how whether it is good or bad is based on perspective.

When it comes to their superhero stuff, I can kinda see that. DC has always been more well-rounded in offering other genres in the medium though, considering its Vertigo and Wildstorm offerings.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nor should you

why shouldnt fiction deal with things that people deal with all the time. One of the reasons Comics developed into a more mature medium is because writers like Frank Miller and Alan Moore decided that they didn't want to write little kiddie books that portray the world in a black and white fashion. When fiction adds a little realism to it, it makes you appreciate it more.

The_PAIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

That's an unfair question.

Marvel went through the bulk of their creations in the 60s, and so characters were created in response to the social situations at the time, whereas DC's characters were established like 20 years before.

With DC, their characters were born during depression-era USA. If you read Action Comics #1 (1938), you'll become immediately aware that Superman fights for the little guy, the guy that had to face struggles to make ends-meat. Superman was a champion of the oppressed.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2222 posts) - 14 hours, 7 minutes ago - Show Bio

Nor should you

Translation: Yes, but I don't want to admit it.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cezar_thescribe: Telling people how they should and shouldn't do things is a bad policy. Especially when it comes to comic books.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Yeah, with the X-Men being a prime example as it dealt with the prejudice of the mutants which is similar to how minorities were treated in society during that time.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Yep, then came the 80s and DC kicked their heads in with "socially aware" stories that were also literary greats.

heymanjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Superman is aware of social media. Does that count as socially aware?

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss said:

@cezar_thescribe: Telling people how they should and shouldn't do things is a bad policy. Especially when it comes to comic books.

@cezar_thescribe said:

Nor should you

why shouldnt fiction deal with things that people deal with all the time. One of the reasons Comics developed into a more mature medium is because writers like Frank Miller and Alan Moore decided that they didn't want to write little kiddie books that portray the world in a black and white fashion. When fiction adds a little realism to it, it makes you appreciate it more.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

Yep the Mutants being a metaphor for the gay community when it wasn't socially acceptable to take a side is a good example.

@cezar_thescribe: The more it represents real problems, the more you can relate to it.

Mutants weren't being used as a metaphor for sodomites.

I want to read fantasy. I don't need to relate to a comic book.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel relies on realism and believability that they're integrated into the real world.

DC relies on fantasticality and awe-inspiring events over society issues. Blowing up half of Metropolis and it being completely repaired 2 issues later is pretty normal for DC.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sinestro_gl nailed it. They were equally relevant for their times. If we're going to narrow it down to just the 60's...that was Marvel's time, but they weren't any more socially aware in the 60's than DC was for the 40's.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By End_Boss

@cezar_thescribe: What are you even trying to convey with that series of image macros? It's like you just Googled "internet memes" and posted the first three results.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yes, Marvel was more socially aware....40 years ago.

This.

Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss said:

@cezar_thescribe: What are you even trying to convey with that series of image macros? It's like you just Googled "internet memes" and posted the first three results.

No, I have had them uploaded.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel was more socially aware in the 60's - 70's no doubt. DC caught up later.