Was Mao right? Does power flow from the barrel of a gun?

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I guess the question really is, does might make right? I ask this question in light of the recent terror attacks in Paris. It seems that the biggest thing Isis really has going for it is that they just don't care who they kill... kind of an, 'obey us or die' mentality. The more civilized among the world see such a thing as an anathema, we prefer to use the rule of law.. a pen and the police. Even there though, its the police, basically a bunch of guys armed with weapons.... who enforce those laws. Even in the civilized places there's an, 'obey us or we'll kill you' mentality... we're just slower to do it. So I pose the question... when you get down too it and want to dictate what's 'right' and 'wrong', and have those dictates enforced... can such a thing possibly be done without force or the threat of? Does power flow from violence?

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@schillenger420: The definition of a country is that it holds the sole right to use force on its territory. MIght doesnt make right, but once you gain power you must use force to make people fall in line. It sounds evil yes, but anarchy was tried before and it is a lot worse than having controlled power over others.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By schillenger420

@chimeroid: Even in an anarchy you still have those who rise to power, and they tend to do it by having the physical ability to impose their will... or at the least have others physically do it for them. Look at nature for example... the leader of any kind of pack or pride is the one who's physically superior and capable. It seems to me that those with the force to make others fall in line are the ones who also get to dictate what's 'right'. It's kind of like the riddle Tyrion poses in Game of Thrones. A King, a Priest, and an obscenely rich Merchant are standing in front of a guy with a gun, and trying to get him to shoot the other two. The King say's, "I'm the King, you have a duty to obey and protect me, kill the other two." The Priest say's, "I'm a priest, I speak for God, if you believe, protect me, obey me, and kill the other two." The Merchant finally say's, "I'll make you so rich you couldn't spend it all in ten lifetimes, kill the other two." Who does the guy with the gun kill? I paraphrased that a bit but the question is really... who in that circle actually has the power? The King, Priest, Rich Man? It seems to me the one with actual power.... is the guy with the gun.