Was Gwen Stacy Spider Man's greatest love?

• 163 results
Avatar image for deactivated-60ecdb28037bb
deactivated-60ecdb28037bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Was Gwen Stacy Spider Man's greatest love? (89 votes)

Yes 39%
No 61%

Was she his greatest romance? Greater than M.J?

• 
MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it was still Mary Jane. Gwen and what happened with her was like his biggest failure/regrets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like it was still Mary Jane. Gwen and what happened with her was like his biggest failure/regrets

Oh ok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe, at least until she cheated on him with Norman. Nah... MJ all the way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe, at least until she cheated on him with Norman. Nah... MJ all the way.

Lol, I agree, but she was manipulated and was alone in Europe. She still is annoying and weird to cheat on Peter like that and it grosses me out too. I still think her death affected him on a level that he'll never recover from either. And Gwen Stacy also described the affair as "something out of her control" as it could've been pheromonal or chemical seduction by Osborn.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she is his greatest love only because in House of M, Peter Parker had a perfect life. He had a family with Gwen, a son, and Uncle Ben was alive. He didn't get together with M.J as Gwen lived. These comic panels also confirm that he misses Gwen and that he would rather be with her, as he says " I had the woman I wanted. And it wasn't you."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, its Carol Danvers

SirKaboom15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tobeymaguire84: You fool! She is a strong, independent woman! She doesn't need a man!

Kaizergenocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He loved Gwen when he was a kid and your first love often isn't your ultimate love.

What he had with Mary Jane was functional and perfect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@the_hajduk: He still missed Gwen when he was married to M.J in Spiderman: Blue. And he was happy in House of M with Gwen:

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg: Peter’s ideal fantasy life ends with Gwen because his ideal life is Gwen not dying. Sure he loved her and probably would have married her if she lived. But what he eventually found with Mary Jane ended up being stronger and more functional (probably the most stable and cooperative relationship in comics at its peak)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg: Peter’s ideal fantasy life ends with Gwen because his ideal life is Gwen not dying. Sure he loved her and probably would have married her if she lived. But what he eventually found with Mary Jane ended up being stronger and more functional (probably the most stable and cooperative relationship in comics at its peak)

His ideal fantasy is being with Gwen, even when with Mary Jane. He misses her in both stories, and Gwen's death affected him forever. He still thought of her when with another person, so he still has feelings for Gwen lol.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg: Screw Gwen. Her death was the best thing that happened for the book. Mary Jane is best girl =P

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg: Screw Gwen. Her death was the best thing that happened for the book. Mary Jane is best girl =P

She was killed off because she was too perfect for Spiderman, and Stan Lee didn't want it to happen. Gwen was the best thing to come into his life, because he was happy with her. And Sins Past was a mess, so Gwen having an affair with Norman was stupid, because there was no way she would really do that. It was out of character for her, and Marvel messed up. Gwen's kids were supposed to be Peters, but Marvel thought it would age the character, so Norman was written as the dad instead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:
@the_hajduk said:

She was killed off because she was too perfect for Spiderman, and Stan Lee didn't want it to happen. Gwen was the best thing to come into his life, because he was happy with her. And Sins Past was a mess, so Gwen having an affair with Norman was stupid, because there was no way she would really do that. It was out of character for her, and Marvel messed up. Gwen's kids were supposed to be Peters, but Marvel thought it would age the character, so Norman was written as the dad instead.

No argument there. Sins Past was a blasphemy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:
@the_hajduk said:

No argument there. Sins Past was a blasphemy.

It's so out of character for Gwen to sleep with Norman, and plus, the Stacy Twins look like Peter and Gwen lol. It's disgusting how Gwen was a high school student or something and slept with her friends father. Marvel has some messed up stories smh

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO,,,no,,,,no,,,,no no no no no

I hate when writers try and make this the case. Mary Jane is pp true love. Read spiderman blue and see how it should be written when handling this. Things like house of m where he wakes up with gwen are just completely out of character for him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho said:

I hate when writers try and make this the case. Mary Jane is pp true love. Read spiderman blue and see how it should be written when handling this. Things like house of m where he wakes up with gwen are just completely out of character for him.

Spiderman: Blue shows why Gwen was his greatest love. He misses another woman when he was married to M.J. He still had feelings for Gwen, years after she died. He wanted Gwen back, and in House of M is happened.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:
@newecho said:

Spiderman: Blue shows why Gwen was his greatest love. He misses another woman when he was married to M.J. He still had feelings for Gwen, years after she died. He wanted Gwen back, and in House of M is happened.

No spiderman blue shows that gwen was his greatest mistake and mj was his greatest love. Guilt is what it shows.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:

No spiderman blue shows that gwen was his greatest mistake and mj was his greatest love. Guilt is what it shows.

Read the story again, you're getting it wrong lmao. It doesn't even focus on his love with M.J much, and he still misses Gwen like I said earlier.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cocacolaman  Moderator

Pretty much every non-geek I know always thinks of MJ when they think of Spider-Man.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheInsufferable

Did Gwen raise peter's ... "spirits" though?

No Caption Provided

ViperSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No, not even close. Virtually all versions of Gwen are honestly overrated, including the 616 version.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:

Read the story again, you're getting it wrong lmao. It doesn't even focus on his love with M.J much, and he still misses Gwen like I said earlier.

Yeah he is remembering his greatest mistake as he is the reason she is dead. The story is about his time with her so of course it doesn't focus on mj. Read the last couple of pages again and see why mj is his true love.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck before blue, gwen was barely a charcter. They didn't even date that long before she died in the comics. Retcons are why people think this way but in no way is gwen peter's true love.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@el_mago, @newecho, @yousufkhan1212, @cocacolaman, @theinsufferable: Gwen was his greatest love imo because even when he dated M.J, he chose her in a reality where all of Peters dreams came true, as shown in House of M. No, it wasn't M.J he was married to in the story, it was Gwen Stacy. And M.J also said that Peter may have loved Gwen more than he loved her in Sins Past. And then there's this panel:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:
No Caption Provided

@el_mago, @newecho, @yousufkhan1212, @cocacolaman, @theinsufferable: Gwen was his greatest love imo because even when he dated M.J, he chose her in a reality where all of Peters dreams came true, as shown in House of M. No, it wasn't M.J he was married to in the story, it was Gwen Stacy. And M.J also said that Peter may have loved Gwen more than he loved her in Sins Past. And then there's this panel:

That's my point. Writers get it wrong all the time. House of M was also around the same time they were about to undo the marriage. People in editorial hated him being with mj. Gwen was barely a character until blue and again read the last few pages of blue. Gwen was his first love but not his greatest love.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho: He says he was going to spend the rest of his life with her. It never said anything about M.J being better at the end of Spiderman: Blue too. She was definitely his greatest love, and M.J isn't but she's close.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:

@newecho: He says he was going to spend the rest of his life with her. It never said anything about M.J being better at the end of Spiderman: Blue too. She was definitely his greatest love, and M.J isn't but she's close.

dude you think that about all your first loves. Of course it doesn't say it,,, read the last 3 pages again and tell me he doesn't believe he ended up with the person he was supposed to end up with. Gwen and him were never meant to be as again she was barely a character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho said:
@factg said:

dude you think that about all your first loves. Of course it doesn't say it,,, read the last 3 pages again and tell me he doesn't believe he ended up with the person he was supposed to end up with. Gwen and him were never meant to be as again she was barely a character.

Dude, they were destined to be together. Peter legit states that they were supposed to spend the rest of their lives together. Read the "What if Gwen Stacy Survived" story. They get married in the story smh. And read my above posts and panels included. He states "I had the woman I wanted. And it wasn't you," as he talks to M.J. Read the panels again lol.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:

Dude, they were destined to be together. Peter legit states that they were supposed to spend the rest of their lives together. Read the What if... Gwen Stacy Survived story. They get married in the story smh. And read my above posts and panels included. He states "I had the woman I wanted. And it wasn't you." Read the panels.

i've read the what if,,, the whole point of blue is him dealing with the pain of letting her die. It's not about gwen being his true love. MJ being there for him and teaching him how to love is what his true love is. No one disagrees that he wouldn't have married gwen if gwen never died. MJ never would have changed into the woman she became because at that time she was just a socialite. She changed too after gwen died which again was established in blue. Again gwen was barely a character at the time of her death. She literally was barely a character until blue came out. Blue is what people remember when giving her character.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:

Dude, they were destined to be together. Peter legit states that they were supposed to spend the rest of their lives together. Read the What if... Gwen Stacy Survived story. They get married in the story smh. And read my above posts and panels included. He states "I had the woman I wanted. And it wasn't you." Read the panels.

i've read the what if,,, the whole point of blue is him dealing with the pain of letting her die. It's not about gwen being his true love. MJ being there for him and teaching him how to love is what his true love is. No one disagrees that he wouldn't have married gwen if gwen never died. MJ never would have changed into the woman she became because at that time she was just a socialite. She changed too after gwen died which again was established in blue. Again gwen was barely a character at the time of her death. She literally was barely a character until blue came out. Blue is what people remember when giving her character.

No, M.J taught him how to love again, but he still was depressed when he was with her. Blue is about remembering Gwen and how Peter and Gwen fell in love. There is more to their history than whats shown in Blue smh, as if you read the original comics, you'd see that. Gwen was a good character and she was very smart too, as she understood Peter intellectually. Gwen taught him how to love, and M.J taught him again. Gwen will always be true love imo.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:

No, M.J taught him how to love again, but he still was depressed when he was with her. Blue is about remembering Gwen and how Peter and Gwen fell in love. There is more to their history than whats shown in Blue smh, as if you read the original comics, you'd see that. Gwen was a good character and she was very smart too, as she understood Peter intellectually. Gwen taught him how to love, and M.J taught him again. Gwen will always be true love imo.

Ok i am guessing you are a younger reader? yes JMS did want the kids to be peter's in sins of past but editorial didn't but dude gwen didn't have a character. Gerry conway didn't kill her off because she was too perfect as she had barely been a character before then. I don't think she was more than two years old at this point. He killed her off because she wasn't a character but it could give more struggles for peter. It gave him something to lose. Her character has been established in retcons and again blue being the first major arc that everyone remembers her being someone good. Imagine that during Jms' run he killed off MJ. How would have the comic fans reacted? They would have hated him. It wasn't that way for when gwen died because again she was barely a character.

Your whole thing with gwen is through retconned stories. That didn't happen before conway's arc. MJ had years of storytelling through natural progression which is why she is true love. Everything you know about gwen was through a writer just wanting that to be the case so they retcon stuff in.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter confirmed he loves both but loves MJ more than he ever loved Gwen in spectacular Spider-Man-man annual #8. That was the entire point of the issue.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:

Ok i am guessing you are a younger reader? yes JMS did want the kids to be peter's in sins of past but editorial didn't but dude gwen didn't have a character. Gerry conway didn't kill her off because she was too perfect as she had barely been a character before then. I don't think she was more than two years old at this point. He killed her off because she wasn't a character but it could give more struggles for peter. It gave him something to lose. Her character has been established in retcons and again blue being the first major arc that everyone remembers her being someone good. Imagine that during Jms' run he killed off MJ. How would have the comic fans reacted? They would have hated him. It wasn't that way for when gwen died because again she was barely a character.

Your whole thing with gwen is through retconned stories. That didn't happen before conway's arc. MJ had years of storytelling through natural progression which is why she is true love. Everything you know about gwen was through a writer just wanting that to be the case so they retcon stuff in.

I am a younger reader, but I've known of the stories for a while now. Gwen actually showed up first too. If Gwen wasn't important, then why would her death affect Peter in stories about 50 years after her death? She was killed off because Conway wanted to shock the readers. Stan Lee didn't even want Gwen to die.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By El_mago

alright im guessing peter felt more for gwen that he did for mary jane in many ocassions although that doesnt change my mind i heavily prefer parker s relationship with the red haired girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@el_mago said:

alright im guessing peter felt more for gwen that he did for mary jane in many ocassions although that doesnt change my mind i heavily prefer parker s relationship with the red haired girl

:)

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By newecho

@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:

I am a younger reader, but I've known of the stories for a while now. Gwen actually showed up first too. If Gwen wasn't important, then why would her death affect Peter in stories about 50 years after her death? She was killed off because Conway wanted to shock the readers. Stan Lee didn't even want Gwen to die.

No my man. Lee didn't care. Lee wanted her brought back because college kids were bugging him at events which is why she was cloned during the clone sags. She is brought up because she is an important failure of peter's no different than uncle ben or even captain stacy. They showed up around the same time. Gwen was technically first but not by much and again gwen got no character development until years after she died. Their relationship wasn't anything until again years later. MJ and him had years of natural story progression while gwen had to be retconned in.

newecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Peter confirmed he loves both but loves MJ more than he ever loved Gwen in spectacular Spider-Man-man annual #8. That was the entire point of the issue.

Hey i forgot about this issue. thanks...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:
@newecho said:
@factg said:

No my man. Lee didn't care. Lee wanted her brought back because college kids were bugging him at events which is why she was cloned during the clone sags. She is brought up because she is an important failure of peter's no different than uncle ben or even captain stacy. They showed up around the same time. Gwen was technically first but not by much and again gwen got no character development until years after she died. Their relationship wasn't anything until again years later. MJ and him had years of natural story progression while gwen had to be retconned in.

Okay then

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Didn't he legit say he had Gwen in the panel I posted?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:
@jashro44 said:

Didn't he legit say he had Gwen in the panel I posted?

I'm not sure which panel you are talking about. You've posted a few. Its pretty obvious Mary Jane would be insecure about Peter's feelings towards Gwen. He did love her a lot and there is a part of her that probably believes that Peter would have ended up with Gwen if Gwen never died. However there have been a few stories written after Gwen's death where the whole point of those stories is to highlight how much more peter loves mary Jane rather than Gwen.

A lot of the panels you posted Peter doesn't actually say he loves Gwen more. You posted scans from spider-man blue but the end of that series Peter says he thought of some good her death caused and the one thing he thought of was that her death made MJ realize life was short and take her chance at having a serious relationship with Peter.

There is also spectacular spider-man annual #8 which I cited earlier. Peter runs into a clone of Gwen and when he saves her he does talk about all the ways he misses Gwen but than he says "your not the Gwen I knew...And even if you were-even if I still care for you-I'm in love with someone else." He than reaffirms to MJ that he loves her more than he ever loved Gwen.

There is also this from amazing spider-man 150. Where peter thought he was going to die. He thought of his aunt may and her well being but the last thought he had when he was going to die was Mary Jane. And it helped Peter realize that he wasn't a clone because the response was purely emotional, and even elaborates that the clone would have an emotional response tied between Mary Jane and Gwen because the clone's behavior would be influenced by Warren who was jealous of Peter and Gwen. But Peter's thoughts were not tied between them it was just Mary Jane.

It doesn't often get questioned that Mary Jane is the better fit for Peter whereas there is that question with Gwen but that's because Gwen died and people like to get stuck on what if. Peter doesn't need to get stuck on what if because he ended up with Mary Jane (or did before brand new day). Peter doesn't have to wonder what if with Mary Jane, whereas he will always wonder what if because he is human and he did love Gwen a lot. But that doesn't mean he doesn't love Mary Jane more.

And quite frankly I would say Peter and Mary Jane have been through a lot more together. Like in the today's recent issue of amazing spider-man.