Was Captain America: TWS better than its sequel?

• 89 results
Posted by ganon15 (7330 posts) 3 years, 1 month ago

Poll: Was Captain America: TWS better than its sequel? (98 votes)

Yes 66%
No 33%
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#1 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18858 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep, it's still the 2nd best MCU movie.

#2 Posted by the_stegman (40420 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#3 Posted by Rag_man (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

The Cpatain America is one of the very few trilogies that actually got better with each sequel..maybe the only one?

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#4 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Tighter =/= Better.

Look, a movie is nothing if not held by characters. Your characters need to carry the film. Your story can be interesting, but if your characters are flat, I will not enjoy the film all that much. In Civil War, the film is 100% carried by character dynamics. The ideologies of Steve and Tony, Bucky's sympathetic nature, Scarlet Witch afraid of her own powers, Vision getting accustomed to humanity, Black Widow's caring nature + T'Challa and Spider-Man. Virtually every character was a scene stealer.

That's what made Civil War such a great film. Not the action, or the fan service. Yes, those elevate the movie into something incredible, but I will not care all that much if not for the characters. And in this case, Civil War was great because you got to watch each character unfold in their own way. It was fantastic.

The Winter Soldier ISN'T bad, but not a whole lot stood out, IMO. With the exception of some great set pieces, the film was average-to-above average. Partially because I do not find the characters all that interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
#5 Posted by deactivated-5d6746eab553d (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

CW was better imo.

#6 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Let me clarify.....

No Caption Provided

#9 Posted by Spiderman1997 (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

It had a better focus naturally but Civil War's bigger scope puts it above in my opinion.

#10 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#11 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18858 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Vision getting accustomed to humanity, Spider-Man's involvement and Wanda being afraid of her powers wasn't all that necessary. That's what makes Winter Soldier better, everything that occurs is important to the story and moves it forward.

Spider-Man is having a movie later.

Vision and Wanda arcs would've worked better in another film.

#12 Posted by TheSpoiler (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Winter Soldier was better.

Civil War was very good though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
#13 Posted by deactivated-5c901e667a76c (36557 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. It's my second-favorite MCU movie after Guardians.

#14 Posted by TheDandyMan (5175 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed the action scenes in TWS but most of the fights in CW were just as or even more impressive as the ones in the previous film, likely due to the scale of them. I really enjoyed the introduction of Bucky as a villain in TWS but I also had a lot of fun in watching each character choose their side in CW as well as the premier of Black Panther. They're pretty similar in my eyes.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#15 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was way better than CW.

My second best CBM.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
#16 Posted by deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79 (12104 posts) - - Show Bio

TWS is overrated.

#17 Edited by Straight-Fire (27517 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I prefer Civil War.

#18 Posted by SaintWildcard (22116 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say so. I had a ton of problems with CW. Tony's character in particular and there was a ton of fat.

#19 Posted by depinhom (13506 posts) - - Show Bio

Better than CW? No way!

#20 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio

Better than CW! Especially the action.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#21 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War was an Avengers movie. Lets be real here.

#22 Posted by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Gracetrack (4819 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely yes.

And...

#24 Posted by JasonHawke (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly dont know but I -do- know is that both movies are better than BvS!

#25 Posted by TheKinfing (11906 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, by a good margin.

#26 Posted by Lvenger (36350 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no qualms conceding that about it, it does feel like Avengers 2.5. But I still find it a toss up between TWS and CW personally.

#27 Posted by BruceRogers (17809 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say so. In terms of action and character development.

#28 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18858 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
#29 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (3818 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really a fair question as TWS hasn't really had a sequel. I know CW is billed that way, but c'mon, that was an Avengers movie. Still, TWS was better than CW, CW had quite a few faults folks over-look because...I don't know why, maybe because it's an MCU movie? To be fair, so did TWS. That said, both were good movies but I liked TWS better.

#30 Posted by klbro123 (383 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by wbr17 (3516 posts) - - Show Bio

CW is a trash covered all over with hype.

#32 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by wrucebayne (568 posts) - - Show Bio

TWS is so much better than Civil War. It really isn't close. I'd rather see it again for the fourth time than go back and watch Civil War.

#34 Posted by incursion2 (2601 posts) - - Show Bio

@wbr17: Well...like...that's only your opinion man. CW was better than TWS imo

#35 Posted by LilTWill2000 (180 posts) - - Show Bio

CW was garbage, Spiderman wasn't necessary. Wanda and Vision's relationship was extremely corny. Zemo trying to commit suicide, boy the hell? That corny *** scene where Steve smiles n bout to break em out is corny. Cap was supposed to die in Civil War.

MCU is absolutely garbage, with Disney looking over their backs and telling them what to do, they will never be good.

CW is just hyped trash, this travesty is getting good reviews.

WS was much better.

#36 Posted by wbr17 (3516 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by nickzambuto (29288 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by klbro123 (383 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by DarthAznable (16937 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil Dispute was just Avengers 2.5. Winter Soldier was an actual Cap movie and felt like it was trying to be more than a CBM.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green
#40 Posted by Avatar_of_Green (3214 posts) - - Show Bio

TWS is the "better movie", but I liked Civil War more for the characters

#41 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11845 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
#42 Posted by captain_batman_FTW (8905 posts) - - Show Bio

WS was much better than CW. Felt like a complete movie rather than a five minute action scene.

#43 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: Vision getting accustomed to humanity, Spider-Man's involvement and Wanda being afraid of her powers wasn't all that necessary. That's what makes Winter Soldier better, everything that occurs is important to the story and moves it forward.

Spider-Man is having a movie later.

Vision and Wanda arcs would've worked better in another film.

From one movie fan to another, I find everything occurring being important to the story a bit overrated.

Vision and Wanda's story arcs ensure that they feel like 3-dimensional people. Not just characters.

Spider-Man is just a TON of fun.

Besides, Vision and Wanda didn't detract from the overall quality of the film. The ideological conflict between Iron Man and Captain America is still explored.

When your story is more layered then your characters, it's usually a problem. The Winter Soldier is that.

Avatar image for thecapeddetective
#45 Posted by TheCapedDetective (557 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. It was a better, more balanced movie.

#46 Posted by Pipxeroth (9816 posts) - - Show Bio

I preferred Civil War, but TWS was brilliant.

#47 Edited by Ready_4_Madness (18858 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: I personally felt like Vision and Wanda did damage the overall quality, if I truly want to pick the film apart. Their scenes together just felt like they were added to extend the length of the film, what we got from their characters could've been told in Infinity War...easily.

Winter Soldier problems were so minor, because they didn't have to deal with so many characters being in a Captain America film. Everyone felt important.

The way Spider-Man was added into Civil War plot was extremely forced. Nothing in its predecessor felt like that, the entire movie felt natural.

#48 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

@theamazingspidey: I personally felt like Vision and Wanda did damage the overall quality, if I truly want to pick the film apart. Their scenes together just felt like they were added to extend the length of the film, what we got from their characters could've been told in Infinity War...easily.

Winter Soldier problems were so minor, because they didn't have to deal with so many characters being in a Captain America film. Everyone felt important.

The way Spider-Man was added into Civil War plot was extremely forced. Nothing in its predecessor felt like that, the entire movie felt natural.

That still doesn't explain why you believe that the development of Vision and Wanda hurt the film. Because it - the film - still explored the psychology of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers to a sufficient degree. The primary focus of the film.

If we were left with the film of poor logic and character development, your case would be registrable. But in this case, we got an ideological conflict which made it very difficult to pick a side. That is the main focus of the film, and seeing as it succeeded in that regard, the overall quality of the film was not hurt.

Besides, Wanda being held in solitary is integral to fleshing out her motivations.

Here's the thing. The story can be the greatest thing dropped on the superhero genre, but if i) characters are more layered than plot and ii) I simply don't care.

The Winter Soldier suffered in both of these aspects, and Civil War excelled where The Winter Soldier could not.

1) Characters are more layered than plot: Yes, this applies to Civil War. You continuously praise TWS for a plot in which every story beat matter. Eventually, I think it boils down to personal preference. Every thing you disliked about Civil War, I loved. I love that they developed Wanda and Vision because they felt like people, not movie characters.

2) I simply don't care: No matter how good a story is, I can only appreciate it so much if it doesn't matter to me. The Winter Soldier ISN'T a bad story. It's actually quite thrilling in parts. But I didn't care a lot for it. Spider-Man is in Civil War, but I care. Because I NEVER thought I'd see Spider-Man side by side with the Avengers any sooner. But I did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
#49 Posted by deactivated-5967bf6197d40 (2560 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, enjoyed Civil War a lot more. Character dynamics and motives were pitch perfect, story was a lot more emotional and deep, arguably the best villain in the MCU, Spider-Man, and the best fight scene in a CBM.

Winter Soldier didn't do nearly as much for me by comparison.

#50 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17932 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, enjoyed Civil War a lot more. Character dynamics and motives were pitch perfect, story was a lot more emotional and deep, arguably the best villain in the MCU, Spider-Man, and the best fight scene in a CBM.

Winter Soldier didn't do nearly as much for me by comparison.

This summarises my thoughts to an extremely relatable degree.

That's also exactly how I feel about The Winter Soldier. It didn't do a whole lot for me. In contrast to Civil War, which pulled off everything you cited.