HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

War Thor Revealed

In the latest issue of the Mighty Thor (The Mighty Thor #20). We're shown who the War Thor is from the get go without the wait Jane Foster gave us. Turns out the answer was no one we would expect, but someone we should have expected, Volstagg.

Explanation

No Caption Provided

The story behind this is basically Volstagg and the Congress of Realms went to the land of the Drawfs to help out due to the fact that the Light Elfs were being housed there due to the Dark Elfs ravaging their lands and slaughtering them. Upon reaching there to give their assistance, the are attacked by Maggot Bombs which detonate and release much heat hotter than normal. This made it so Volstagg was split up with some Light Elf children, so he chose to try and guide them to Asgardia to safety. On his journey, he was attacked again by Firefly Riders carrying Maggot Bombs, who then detonated them, incinerating all the children with Volstagg. The only reason he survived is because he was covered in Fire Goblin Blood, which is seemingly immune to the heat. This basically leads to Volstagg becoming depressed and heart broken for not being able to carry the children. He then "hears the Ultimate Hammer speaking to him", and presumes to pick it up and becomes the new War Thor.

My Take

To be honest, I'm pretty surprised on who the War Thor turned out to be. I don't think anyone guessed it would've been Volstagg or at-least I didn't see it. Marvel has always payed more attention to Volstagg compared to the other Warriors 3, not to mention due to his personality and such, it does fit his character to have it setup like this given Volstagg is good with children. I'm not going to say I'm mad, like at all here, because it's much better than having it be Odin who wouldn't need the hammer, and also better than it being a non Asgardian.

I think think it's pretty clear Volstagg is going to be the kind of Thor the realms need which will ultimately push Jane away. He's going to do things that need to be done like killing which she isn't too fond of doing. I think he's going to be extremely ruthless and be the main factor if not one of the main factors in bringing down Malekith. My only problem is it seems Marvel is just throwing out the hammers to everyone making the "Worthy aspect" diminish a lot.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

Well....at least he is better than Jane-Thor, that's for sure.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@heirtothekingdom: It was meant to be Odin they changed the cover art between the reveal they gave the eye back and made the beard ginger instead of grey, so clear that they don't know what they're doing. And the whole issue was just random and obviously quickly put together as it just came out of nowhere with no build up

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rubear

@asgardianbrony said:

Didnt thor also say no god was worthy of the hammer?

Thor just has huge complexes now. Deal with it)

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stefano

Thor is a name not a title like "Captain America". I dont know why marvel is calling everyone Thor.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are they doing to you Thor?

Beata

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Take is... LOL

Hilarious really, that scans are nothing but instant plot devices just like that whisper, its like Aaron never had a plan for anything, lets just bring another hammer randomly, and give it to original Thor, no one cares? He also will not have the hammer for (at least) a good part of his next movie, so let him just stay without any hammer, lets give it to Odin... Fans are saying that few things are as stupid as that creative decision... Let me see, Volstagg also has beard, give it to Volstagg then and just change the color of the beard, but he is really fat, no one will notice... Like no one notice that only Jane after being worthy gets Thor looks... Its a PC comic, media always will make a huge effort to only see good things about our work, its just that Odin as Thor was too stupid...

Now speaking of characterization and lore, aside from the son of Odin and Gaea no other Asgardian would ever go by Thor or wanted to be Thor (neither Jane, but it never was about her just the female version of Thor), but Volstagg is the kind of character that likes to tell tales about his feats, has a very clear awareness of the Asgardians beliefs and what means to be a God, one time in the Aesir and Vanir arc by Matt Fraction And K. Gillen he toke over the All Mothers role but he never tried to be or call himself Odin or Freyja, just think a little, this pick a hammer and you are Thor is one worse crap ever introduced in this character lore, at least have Odin doing something about it, like with Eric Masterson...

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rubear

@asgaard said:

Like no one notice that only Jane after being worthy gets Thor looks...

Nope.

No Caption Provided

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as ive said, too many "thor". we only need 1. dc fixed supes and brought back wally. maybe marvel should take a hint and listen to the fans

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dc fixed supes and brought back wally

So now there are two Wallies.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

My Take is... LOL

Hilarious really, that scans are nothing but instant plot devices just like that whisper, its like Aaron never had a plan for anything, lets just bring another hammer randomly, and give it to original Thor, no one cares? He also will not have the hammer for (at least) a good part of his next movie, so let him just stay without any hammer, lets give it to Odin... Fans are saying that few things are as stupid as that creative decision... Let me see, Volstagg also has beard, give it to Volstagg then and just change the color of the beard, but he is really fat, no one will notice... Like no one notice that only Jane after being worthy gets Thor looks... Its a PC comic, media always will make a huge effort to only see good things about our work, its just that Odin as Thor was too stupid...

Now speaking of characterization and lore, aside from the son of Odin and Gaea no other Asgardian would ever go by Thor or wanted to be Thor (neither Jane, but it never was about her just the female version of Thor), but Volstagg is the kind of character that likes to tell tales about his feats, has a very clear awareness of the Asgardians beliefs and what means to be a God, one time in the Aesir and Vanir arc by Matt Fraction And K. Gillen he toke over the All Mothers role but he never tried to be or call himself Odin or Freyja, just think a little, this pick a hammer and you are Thor is one worse crap ever introduced in this character lore, at least have Odin doing something about it, like with Eric Masterson...

I agree 100%.

@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

Part with What-If or not is irrelevant since question was whether ot not other people except Jane get asgardian look with hammer. I gave example that they get look and i can give more examples. Both from What If and 616. So idea of Asgaard that "only Jane after being worthy gets Thor looks..." is pure and simple example of ignorance about Asgard. That's all.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

Part with What-If or not is irrelevant since question was whether ot not other people except Jane get asgardian look with hammer. I gave example that they get look and i can give more examples. Both from What If and 616. So idea of Asgaard that "only Jane after being worthy gets Thor looks..." is pure and simple example of ignorance about Asgard. That's all.

I don't think that's what Asgaard was getting at. Obviously everyone is aware that obtaining the hammer changes your attire, outside of some examples like Captain America during Fear Itself #6-7. I think the real discussion is how gaining the hammer somehow gives you physical features to match that of Thor's. Why does Jane all of a sudden get long blonde hair when previously she didn't have that? Storm, Loki, Beta Ray Bill, and more didn't achieve those physical features, so why does she? Not only that, but unlike the others, Jane now speaks like an Asgardian which is wrong as she's obviously not an Asgardian. All of the other holders of Mjolnir didn't begin to speak like one unless they were in fact one prior to having the hammer, so again, that's another mistake. I mean, do I really need to bring up the fact that she was capable of using the hammer exceptionally well from the get go and was shown to be an accomplished fighter when that shouldn't have been possible. Storm wasn't like that when she had her own hammer, however, Bill became accustomed to it due to having it for a long time and was the most skilled fighter from his race prior to receiving Storm Breaker. Also, as for using a non canon scan as evidence, no it doesn't work with your point. Whether it compliments your point or not, it's from a non canon comic and therefore invalid.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

I don't think that's what Asgaard was getting at. Obviously everyone is aware that obtaining the hammer changes your attire, outside of some examples like Captain America during Fear Itself #6-7. I think the real discussion is how gaining the hammer somehow gives you physical features to match that of Thor's. Why does Jane all of a sudden get long blonde hair when previously she didn't have that? Storm, Loki, Beta Ray Bill, and more didn't achieve those physical features, so why does she? Not only that, but unlike the others, Jane now speaks like an Asgardian which is wrong as she's obviously not an Asgardian. All of the other holders of Mjolnir didn't begin to speak like one unless they were in fact one prior to having the hammer, so again, that's another mistake. I mean, do I really need to bring up the fact that she was capable of using the hammer exceptionally well from the get go and was shown to be an accomplished fighter when that shouldn't have been possible. Storm wasn't like that when she had her own hammer, however, Bill became accustomed to it due to having it for a long time and was the most skilled fighter from his race prior to receiving Storm Breaker. Also, as for using a non canon scan as evidence, no it doesn't work with your point. Whether it compliments your point or not, it's from a non canon comic and therefore invalid.

Then he should speak more clearly. And i don't see how it is invalid since it all from Marvel and... Marvel has multiverse with infinite worlds where everything that happened in What Ifs happened on one of this worlds and so it is canon as well, not main universe, of course, but canon and so valid example. Okay, then how you'll comment this case? Here you have Ragnarok, Thor's clone from 616, lifting Mjolnir, alternative one, and getting change of physical features. Namely beard and baldness.

No Caption Provided
Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom:

I appreciate your posts, to me is only important that you and others got what i was saying, the user in question wants to go here, but like always i just ignore him... Regardless it was demonstrated once again that you know well Thor/Asgard lore...

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rubear

@heirtothekingdom: By the way, iirc, that What If with Black Widow as Thor happened because Age of Ultron in 616 screw time affecting neighborhood universes as well.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, it was handled better than I thought it would be.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@titing2101: Did you not notice what they did in the Lazarus Contract??

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

Then he should speak more clearly. And i don't see how it is invalid since it all from Marvel and... Marvel has multiverse with infinite worlds where everything that happened in What Ifs happened on one of this worlds and so it is canon as well, not main universe, of course, but canon and so valid example. Okay, then how you'll comment this case? Here you have Ragnarok, Thor's clone from 616, lifting Mjolnir, alternative one, and getting change of physical features. Namely beard and baldness.

At the end of the day, it's not 616 earth, and she didn't obtain any of the physical attributes Thor has other than attire (from what we seen). Natasha's hair was already long. I'm not sure what you're trying to sure here? Ragnorak lifts the hammer and grows bald and facial hair, which is isn't how 616 Thor looks. I can't say much on this instance given I haven't read it, but it doesn't prove anything given he didn't take Thor's physical appearance.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

@rubear said:

@heirtothekingdom: By the way, iirc, that What If with Black Widow as Thor happened because Age of Ultron in 616 screw time affecting neighborhood universes as well.

It was an alternate universe all together.

@asgaard said:

@heirtothekingdom:

I appreciate your posts, to me is only important that you and others got what i was saying, the user in question wants to go here, but like always i just ignore him... Regardless it was demonstrated once again that you know well Thor/Asgard lore...

No problem man, I know you well enough to know that's not what you meant when he replied to you. By the way, thanks for the kind words.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

At the end of the day, it's not 616 earth, and she didn't obtain any of the physical attributes Thor has other than attire (from what we seen). Natasha's hair was already long. I'm not sure what you're trying to sure here? Ragnorak lifts the hammer and grows bald and facial hair, which is isn't how 616 Thor looks. I can't say much on this instance given I haven't read it, but it doesn't prove anything given he didn't take Thor's physical appearance.

I say that Mjolnir can change appearance of his bearer, and this ability is not limited by just clothes. It can change looks (Ragnarok, Jane) and whole body (example of Thor himself who used to be in non-battle time shorter, much less muscular and having different hairs Donal Blake). In most cases people who took Mjolnir had no reason to hide who they are. Jane have and she is hiding that she is "Thor", hence change of appearance and talk patterns. Case of Jane is also unique because of dumb p... sentient storm in Mjolnir acting on it's own will. So i don't think that Jane somehow suddenly learned how to fight. It's more likely that it is hammer who is fighting and having fun, not Jane.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

I say that Mjolnir can change appearance of his bearer, and this ability is not limited by just clothes. It can change looks (Ragnarok, Jane) and whole body (example of Thor himself who used to be in non-battle time shorter, much less muscular and having different hairs Donal Blake). In most cases people who took Mjolnir had no reason to hide who they are. Jane have and she is hiding that she is "Thor", hence change of appearance and talk patterns. Case of Jane is also unique because of dumb p... sentient storm in Mjolnir acting on it's own will. So i don't think that Jane somehow suddenly learned how to fight. It's more likely that it is hammer who is fighting and having fun, not Jane.

The only person you brought up that changes physical characteristics to match Thor's is Jane Foster, Ragnorak didn't actually obtain anything from Thor other than attire. I don't think her hiding who she was means much given she was changed like that from the beginning. I doubt she told Mjolnir "change my identity", right when she picked up the hammer. As for the sentient storm being able to fight, I doubt it. Why would a storm be skilled in combat, heck why would it need to be? I don't think it had anything to do with it to be honest. It just came off as bad writing as well as lazy for not letting Jane to train her skill with the hammer.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

The only person you brought up that changes physical characteristics to match Thor's is Jane Foster, Ragnorak didn't actually obtain anything from Thor other than attire. I don't think her hiding who she was means much given she was changed like that from the beginning. I doubt she told Mjolnir "change my identity", right when she picked up the hammer. As for the sentient storm being able to fight, I doubt it. Why would a storm be skilled in combat, heck why would it need to be? I don't think it had anything to do with it to be honest. It just came off as bad writing as well as lazy for not letting Jane to train her skill with the hammer.

Sentient storm was in Mjolnir all the time. One can expect that it knows how Mjolnir is working and how Thor was fighting with it. This storm is also kinda chthonic deity. Perhaps she told Mjolnir just that... Oh perhaps Mjonlir made her to look like Thor because she wanted to be like Thor. Of course it is bad writing, i agree. But my point is not about writing - it's about how much Mjolnir can change, especially if it wants to make such changes. And it can change much.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@heirtothekingdom said:
@rubear said:
@asgaard said:

Nope.

No Caption Provided

That's from a What-If.

Sentient storm was in Mjolnir all the time. One can expect that it knows how Mjolnir is working and how Thor was fighting with it. This storm is also kinda chthonic deity. Perhaps she told Mjolnir just that... Oh perhaps Mjonlir made her to look like Thor because she wanted to be like Thor. Of course it is bad writing, i agree. But my point is not about writing - it's about how much Mjolnir can change, especially if it wants to make such changes. And it can change much.

It was rectoned to be in Mjolnir all the time, however, that has so many continuity issues, it's best not to bring it up. I personally don't think the writer had it in their mind that the storm taught Jane how to fight or anything like that, though it's not out of their ballpark given what they've presented us thus far. I don't see much saying Mjolnir alters physical appearance/speech/skill and so on other than Jane.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

its so stupid it might just work... scratch that, its just stupid.

didnt thor also say no god was worthy of the hammer? didnt he just say that in the unworthy mini-series!? Marvel has gone full retard more times than anyone can count.

Marvel's writers in a nutshell.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this written by Jason Aaron?

And why can't Thor just be Thor? That's literally his first name, there is no need for there to be numerous ones. There may be numerous Captain America's and Batman's but there is only one Steve Rogers and one Bruce Wayne. That is how Thor should be. Only one

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jayc1324: Yea it's still Aaron ruining Thor and everything around him, he's relentless, though I'll give Spencer credit for F'ing up the background of Mjolnir even more by letting Hydra Cap lift it

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'll admit that this could have been a decent idea if Aaron weren't writing it. Volstagg is the most developed of the Warriors 3 and him becoming a proper warrior on par with Thor could have been a good story. However, Volstagg becoming War Thor, who is essentially going to be written as a Punisher esque version of Thor that will seek blood and vengeance rather than thunder and lightning is over the top and sounds cliched.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By titing2101

@rubear said:
@titing2101 said:

dc fixed supes and brought back wally

So now there are two Wallies.

well i can live with that, he is still the same wally, has his powers (got buffed imo).. until what robin did to him

@project_worm said:

@titing2101: Did you not notice what they did in the Lazarus Contract??

what robin did? if thats it then yeah, at first i was "WTF after bringing him back and not 1 year you did that!" but i know somehow that will be removed, either he will overcome it by himself or someone will change the past again .