title

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Dragonball Super

Naruto Shippuden (Mostly after the Pain Arc)

Bleach (One great arc and the rest varied from sub par to out right bad)

Fairy Tail

Sword Art Online (This list isn't in numerical order, but if it were, this would be first)

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sword Art Online. Suffers from a mostly not well planned story direction and an underdeveloped cast.

The technical aspects (Visuals, Sound Design etc.) of the show are solid though.

HATSoffMELO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Hero Academia

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not trash, but I don't get One Piece fan fare. It does nothing new for the adventure genre and double nothing new for shonen actions. It has some hype moments though.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Fairy Tale a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d26a3a3d293d
deactivated-5d26a3a3d293d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragonball Super

Fairy Tail

Sword Art Online (This list isn't in numerical order, but if it were, this would be first)

I mostly agree with this.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing really.

ElderElijah190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fairy tail tops it for me.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jgames

Honestly nothing right now, I mean I guess I can say Jo Jo, but even then I be lying if I said the anime is trash, is just a mixed bag, and can see why people like it. Honestly only thing trash are some of the fans. Toriko anime was trash and got cancel, and the manga got cancel, so it was not even that popular in the first place.

ovy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ovy7

Dragonball Z and Super (I respect Z's legacy, but with some small exception, it's bland as hell)

Naruto Shippuden (after Pain arc)

Bleach (after SS arc)

One Piece (the manga is good though)

Sword Art Online

Tokyo Ghoul (the manga is good though)

Akame ga kill

Mirai Nikki

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death Note

Code Geass

Shingeki no Kyojin

Mirai Nikki

Tokyo Ghoul

Re:Zero

Shokugeki no Soma

Fate Series

Jo Jo Series

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

All of them

BB

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14 JediXMan  Moderator

SAO, Naruto, Bleach.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not surprised Dragon Ball Z/Super were listed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5f22e70aeb7
deactivated-5b5f22e70aeb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Ball z

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naruto; I got sick of that after the time skip and only stuck around for the Sasuke vs Itachi fight.

pmcinelly784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SAO is mostly crap, minus some fight scenes

DB was too annoying for me to watch

I got extremely annoyed with Naruto around the infinite Tsukuyomi activation, but yeah all the fillers after the pain arc were sooo annoying.

I actually don't think that most of the art in Overlord does the LN's justice which is really sad. I kind of wish Funimation or another company had taken the reins on overlord and made it better. <- that being said, the story is unrivaled.

@thatduderox When I watched bleach, I went to a wiki page that told me what arcs are filler, and what episodes are relevant to the main story line. I skipped a lot of bleach episodes, but at least I missed the crappy filler episodes and got the brunt of the story. It wasn't too bad.

@mimisalome I enjoyed Code Geass, I just wish they'd made it longer and more full.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
deactivated-5b728068f211c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk why, but i feel like this thread was made to shittalk about DBS and Naruto, lmao.

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jashugan

Dragonball Super

Seven Deadly Sins

Naruto

Bleach

Fairy Tail

Sword Art Online

Tokyo Ghoul

Mirai Nikki

Akame ga Kill

Blue Exorcist

Guilty Crown

Space Dandy

Fate/Stay Night

Btoom & Deadman Wonderland- laughably bad

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thatduderox

@pmcinelly784: I had to do the same when I was catching up on Shippuden. The one credit I will give bleach is that some of the fillers like the Bount Arc and the Zanpakto Arc are pretty decent imo. And out of the big 3, I think they handled fillers the best. Naruto would have random stuff like robot ninjas and One Piece writes filler into the canon episode. That one frustrates me the most because you can't even skip them. They will literally take one chapter and extend it for five episodes. It's ridiculous lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon ball Z/Super.

That's not to say they don't have moments, but overall. No,not good. The main take away is the 1-dimensional lead the cast are forced to play second fiddle to.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Dragonball Super

Fairy Tail

You put SAO as higher in the trash list than DBS, Naruto, Bleach, and Fair Tail???

I'm sorry, but the snowflake hate bandwagon can only be taken so far before it just sounds ridiculous...

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All anime

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mylittlefascist: As bad as Super, Shippuden, Bleach, and Fairy Tail can be, they at least have somewhat likable main characters. Kirito is a straight up Gary Stu, there is no defending that kid. He's a fourteen year old boy wish list fantasy character, the equivalent of what Bella Swan was for teenage girls. Just a self insert character that the target fanbase can insert themselves into.

1. Loves video games and is great at it (check)

2. Massively OP within his own universe (check)

3. Girls flock to him because he's powerful and really really nice (double check because teenagers are still at that age where they believe that's what girls are attracted to.)

4. No definitive personality traits other than stoic badass with a heart of gold (check)

If you're main character is terrible, it throws the whole series off, and that is only the tip of the ice berg where SOA is concerned. If you want to know more why people despise that series, just do a YouTube search. There are literally hundreds of videos that go into that very topic.

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fairy Tail. Don’t understand the hate for SAO.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually don't think that most of the art in Overlord does the LN's justice which is really sad. I kind of wish Funimation or another company had taken the reins on overlord and made it better. <- that being said, the story is unrivaled.

Funimation is not responsible for Overlord's art. They're merely licensors. Overlord was adapted and animated by studio Madhouse

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fairy Tail (just ugh)

Harem Art Online

One Piece (never understood its popularity)

DBS (Only popular due to brand and characters from DBZ)

Boruto (same situation as above)

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32 krisbishop  Moderator

I like One Piece a lot but I still think it's overrated.

Vulkanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SAO and DBS are possibly the two worst anime I’ve ever seen.

JJBA is also very overrated.

My Hero Academia is decent at best. If Midoriya was a more realistic character and wasn’t crying in every scene I’d probably like it more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also forgot about Akame ga Kill. But I hesitate to include that as I don’t think it is all that popular, but I do consider it trash.

And Code Geass is really popular and is one of my favorites, but a lot of that second season was trash imo. I just did not agree with decisions made in that second season.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zetsu-San

@thatduderox said:

@mylittlefascist: As bad as Super, Shippuden, Bleach, and Fairy Tail can be, they at least have somewhat likable main characters. Kirito is a straight up Gary Stu, there is no defending that kid. He's a fourteen year old boy wish list fantasy character, the equivalent of what Bella Swan was for teenage girls. Just a self insert character that the target fanbase can insert themselves into.

1. Loves video games and is great at it (check)

2. Massively OP within his own universe (check)

3. Girls flock to him because he's powerful and really really nice (double check because teenagers are still at that age where they believe that's what girls are attracted to.)

4. No definitive personality traits other than stoic badass with a heart of gold (check)

If you're main character is terrible, it throws the whole series off, and that is only the tip of the ice berg where SOA is concerned. If you want to know more why people despise that series, just do a YouTube search. There are literally hundreds of videos that go into that very topic.

You know how you instantly know that someone is riding a hate bandwagon instead of legitimately dislikes something because it doesn't live up to their standards? Because they always end up spouting the exact same shallow, unfalsifiable, vague asf, non-critiquing points; that can literally be applied to just about anything with no real way to argue otherwise.

Seriously man... Gary Stu? Mary Sue? At one point in time these words held meaning. Now they are just vague, unfalsifiable buzz terms, that people slap on to any character they dislike as if that explains everything... Half of the reasoning in your list is literally just... So? No really... So? You're not even listing issues, your just making statements about the character...

Loves video games and is great at it (check)

Again... So? It's a common and relateable interest, especially with the target demographic... Not to mention it has story relevance, considering the entire fricken story revolves around a video game... Like, what... Are writers not allowed to give their characters interests now? Not even if it holds story relevance? What are you even arguing here? Do you even know?

Massively OP within his own universe (check)

Again... So? A lot of characters are OP. It's an action story. It often comes with the territory. If Kirito weren't OP, then the story would be following someone else instead. This story follows someone integral to the completion of the game. It's an MMO, different players progress at different rates, and this is only going to be amplified by the ever present danger of the setting.

Girls flock to him because he's powerful and really really nice

Uh, no... Girls flock to him because he's actually around their age, reasonably attractive physically, shares similar interests to them (they are all gamers after-all), has directly gone out of his way to help them out of life & death situations with no expectations in return, and has shown a certain level of independence/responsibility that helps him as well as those around him adapt to what is essentially a survival horror scenario.

I mean come on mate. SAO may have a huge hate base, but it also undeniably has a large fanbase as well. Kirito is a popular character and by sheer probability, many of his fans are going to be giggly school girls. Trying to argue that "real girls definitely don't like this type of character" is just being daft. If Edward from Twilight can have a large female fanbase, then you can bet Kirito does too.

Also... This is a Japanese MMO... He doesn't exactly have a lot of competition. I think anyone who has played an MMO or even just been on comicvine, can tell you that nerdy guys can be really fricken creepy when they run into women on the internet. I think we can all assume that most women would pick Kirito over some fat bastard with a loli fetish.

No definitive personality traits other than stoic badass with a heart of gold (check)

No... No check... You couldn't even get the "one personality trait" that he supposedly has, correct... Stoic? Really? Not that that's even a bad quality, but like... Do you even understand the terms you are throwing around?

Kirito is not stoic... He's reserved and awkward at times... But that's not stoicism... He laughs, he lounges around, he talks to people, he makes jokes, he gets socially anxious, he even gets visibly scared and angry. The fact that he shows these things to other people, defies the concept of stoicism (which would involve keeping all of these things to himself). Oh, and they are also... Guess what? Personality traits!

Yes... Kirito does in fact have personality traits. He has shown a sense of humor and preference for light trolling when it comes to both friends and enemies. He can also be cocky and arrogant at times. He gets socially anxious when forced to socialize with multiple unfamiliar people at once, something he had to grow out of over the story, oh look we call that character development.

He was also shown to be rather laid back. This tied into one of the core themes of the series, and yes SAO does have underlying depth/themes even if rather poorly executed. One of the core traits he had that contrasted him with Asuna was that, yes he understood the importance of escaping the game and wanted to get back to his life, and he was doing his part to hasten that process along. However, unlike Asuna, he was not obsessed with escaping the game and understood that living in the game is still living. He took time to enjoy himself and while she was constantly uptight and serious, and this dichotomy was the center-point of their rather rushed cringely executed romance.

In summary, no... Kirito has a shit ton of wish fulfillment and disproportionate amount of glory for a story that revolves around a massively multiplayer game... But he is not this featureless Gary Stu figure okay... He has personality traits. A whole lot of them actually.

What I listed is more than enough to constitute a sufficiently rounded character and I am sure if I had actually watched something SAO related within the past 3 or so years, I could write a longer analysis of his character. Kirito's issue was the lack of a rounded cast and foil to properly highlight his traits, but make no mistake he does indeed have them. Anyone who says otherwise is simply deluding themselves because they are just that desperate to find things to dislike about the story... Which is pathetic, because there are plenty of legitimate things to dislike about the story...

Just do a YouTube search.

And this right here confirms what I have been saying from the very beginning. These aren't your thoughts, these are things other people have told you to think. This is what a bandwagon is. You are simply spouting things you have heard from all the sophisticated "youtube critics" because you think it makes you one of the cool kids.

I don't even like SAO that much, I think it had shoddy pacing, lacked much needed character roles, and had a strong premise that never quite lived up to it's potential. If you don't like it, that's fine. But please, if you are going to hate on something, hate on it for some actually legitimate reasons; and don't exaggerate... it's just pathetic...

No Caption Provided

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Piece

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By thatduderox

@mylittlefascist: So let me get this straight. You're angry that people crap on SAO for not being a well written series, and you think anyone who feels that way are just jumping on a hate bandwagon, but then ended your argument admitting that it's not a well written series, and that you don't really like it that much yourself?

Yeah let's stop it here man. There's nothing more to argue. I called the series trash and you defended it by calling it at best mediocre. It's not a good series. When people arguing for it conclude their statement with how it's not very good, that speaks volume of the series itself.

You're angry that the series receives a lot of hate, but just not the hate you deem as acceptable. And Kirito being a Gary Stu isn't just hate train bs. When a character comes across as good at everything and that untouchable, it removes tension from the story which is a big no no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c531e53b02be
deactivated-5c531e53b02be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon ball Z and Super

Bleach

Fairy Tale

Boruto

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zetsu-San

@thatduderox said:

@mylittlefascist: So let me get this straight. You're angry that people crap on SAO for not being a well written series, and you think anyone who feels that way are just jumping on a hate bandwagon, but then ended your argument admitting that it's not a well written series, and that you don't really like it that much yourself?

Yeah let's stop it here man. There's nothing more to argue. I called the series trash and you defended it by calling it at best mediocre. It's not a good series. When people arguing for it conclude their statement with how it's not very good, that speaks volume of the series itself.

You're angry that the series receives a lot of hate, but just not the hate you deem as acceptable. And Kirito being a Gary Stu isn't just hate train bs. When a character comes across as good at everything and that untouchable, it removes tension from the story which is a big no no.

I'm not angry... I am actually quite entertained. A little bit irritated... but also entertained.

Why am I irritated? Well, there's a number of reasons. First off, I just can't stand hate bandwagons. No matter how bad a series fandom is, the hatedom is usually worse... You act high and mighty while spouting shitty logic. You treat people who disagree with you like they haven't been educated enough to think for themselves, when it's clear you are just following BS spouted by some random contrarian on the internet. I find it to be ironic, hence why I am also entertained.

No, I did not say "anyone who feels that way" must be riding the bandwagon... That's not true at all, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize SAO. Right now I am just talking about you and your crappy reasons. I know you are just bandwagoning, because everything you have said thus far has proven it. From the types of arguments you spout to that "oh, just watch some youtube videos to find out why you should hate it too!" mentality.

Kirito being a Gary Stu isn't just hate train bs

No, he's not. He has plenty of personality quirks as I have already demonstrated. He's also not good at everything, as there were plenty of times that he has outsourced to other characters because they had skillsets that he didn't. He also suffered from minor social anxiety and had issues opening up to people. The latter ended in an entire guild wipe because he was too nervous to speak up about his actual level and knowledge of the dungeon.

untouchable, it removes tension from the story which is a big no no.

He wasn't untouchable either... There were plenty of times where he struggled and needed help from others. Yes, he was extremely powerful compared to other players, but there were still a number of intense/close-shaves, and the story found ways to build up tension in other ways such as the music score, the emotions of the characters, and even just shifting the danger off of himself and on to other people.

As for why I dislike the disproportionate and undeserved amount of hate the series gets, it's simple... Yes, the story is only a bit above average by my standards. However, it is still a fun and entertaining series. More importantly, it also serves as a breakout series. It's great starting point for getting people out of this mentality that every anime is Naruto and One Piece. Whether the person hates all anime because they think it's like Naruto & One Piece or they think all anime outside of Naruto & One Piece must be strange weaboo trash; this is a mentality that undeniably harms anime as a whole.

SAO does not harm anime as a whole. It helps it by encouraging people people expand their tastes and horizons. Much like FMA, it carries a balance of concepts and tropes familiar to someone coming off of the big lengthy drawn out action shonen series; while also introducing other types of story telling that is new, enticing, and encourages people to explore other, lesser known, series.

SAO is most popular with people who are starting to expand their horizons and explore anime outside of the mainstream. That is a good thing. But when someone like that sees a series they like get a ridiculously disproportionate amount of hatred and completely exaggerated criticisms that are barely coherent; it can be rather jarring. It can scare away new anime watchers, because it makes them question the tastes of the community and what sort of hardcore tastes must rule over the market.

It's even worse when people get straight up shamed for stating that they like SAO. You treat people who like SAO like their tastes must be absolute trash and that they clearly shouldn't be allowed to think for themselves... "Oh, go watch this youtube critic, he's got these super sophisticated tastes, he'll teach you exactly why SAO sucks!" I mean really man... If you have to go out of your way to watch some youtube contrarian specifically to learn how to not enjoy a series, then you are clearly doing it wrong...

Thedarkking25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaoron: dam I can't lie it only has w decent arc and that was the future trunks, the top haf the string noting but asspulling and plot armour

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Naruto (after Pain arc/Same with manga)

• One Piece (Big fan of the manga)

• Sword Art Online (kritio one of the biggest Gary Stu character. This reached a level of cringe that i assumed did not exist and none has ever come to topple it. The rest on the list aside from code geass i dont mind the fact that i watched them but this i wish i could undo ever watching it)

• Tokyo Ghoul (I feel like its a story where the author just comes up with ways to punish the characters which really does nothing for me and i think it feeds on some readers need to like Sad characters for the sake of them being sad and depressed)

• Code Geass (jesus why are the characters borderline aneroxic, if thats some sort of style its trash)

• Fairy Tail (i was fine with the animation but it has no story and the characters are just there to move the plot along)

• Blue Exorcist (literal bore feast)

• Deadman Wonderland (Deadman wonderland has the same issue as the one i wrote for Tokyo Ghoul)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mylittlefascist: Lol, dude what is with your fetish for defending SAO? It gets a healthy amount of hate because it’s mediocre and popular. If it weren’t popular, no one would notice it or how bad it is. Literally everything that’s popular gets hated on. Before SAO, the HST was the popular thing that got a lot of new people into anime, now people do nothing but criticize where those shows failed. And before the HST, DB got people hooked on anime and there’s tons of haters now. If you like a show, just enjoy it despite what someone else has to say about it. I love Gundam which is as generic as it comes and there’s little variation historically between each series. It doesn’t hurt my enjoyment and no one could stop me from liking it. Also, you could stand to take some solace that despite the overwhelming hate, it’s still more popular than a lot of shows that come out, so tons of people do love this show even if there’s not a lot of good reasons to.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimson_lord: I defend a lot of things that are popular to hate on. SAO just happens to be what's currently popular to hate on...

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Ball Super

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mylittlefascist: You wrote a essay just to say the same thing over and over again lol. Which is basically I'm not particularly fond of it, but I hate the hate it receives, but it's still not very good, but you and other people shouldn't hate it because you are hating it the wrong way because you're all just agreeing on the same thing, my reasons for disliking it are superior, so it's not the same, but I still don't like it either.

Again, why are debating me against a series that you don't even think is good? Lol. Are you trying to get me from thinking it's trash to trash spray painted in glitter? You're so caught up in hating hate fandoms that you can't bring yourself to reason that if everyone is having the exact same criticism about the exact same series, there might be something to it.

'Sits down, grabs tea, and waits for rebuttal of: See see, you are going along with the bandwagon, which will be stretched out to half a page.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zetsu-San

@thatduderox:

why are debating me against a series that you don't even think is good?

Because the reasons you dislike it are shitty and toxic. lmao

u can't bring yourself to reason that if everyone is having the exact same criticism about the exact same series

You mean the same vague as fudge buzzword criticisms that are demonstrably false?

which will be stretched out to half a page.

Not really. Your first couple of posts made grandiose claims that needed a response... Now you just have no content whatsoever...

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mylittlefascist: Lol, dude what is with your fetish for defending SAO? It gets a healthy amount of hate because it’s mediocre and popular. If it weren’t popular, no one would notice it or how bad it is. Literally everything that’s popular gets hated on. Before SAO, the HST was the popular thing that got a lot of new people into anime, now people do nothing but criticize where those shows failed. And before the HST, DB got people hooked on anime and there’s tons of haters now. If you like a show, just enjoy it despite what someone else has to say about it. I love Gundam which is as generic as it comes and there’s little variation historically between each series. It doesn’t hurt my enjoyment and no one could stop me from liking it. Also, you could stand to take some solace that despite the overwhelming hate, it’s still more popular than a lot of shows that come out, so tons of people do love this show even if there’s not a lot of good reasons to.

Best kind of mentality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mylittlefascist: Lol. I’m just saying it’s not doing you any good to defend it. I mean if someone has seen it and then after that found a YouTuber who was able to put into words what they couldn’t themselves, that’s cool too. It would be different if someone were hating on a show they in fact never saw. Then it would make sense for you to call them out. Also, I’m really curious as you seem down on the HST but find SAO to be a superior show for some reason. Why? What puts SAO above those mediocre shows? Lol.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimson_lord: The HST keeps people's opinions of anime locked in a little shell. This holds true for both the people who really really like it and never bother with anything else, as well as the people who really hate it and think the rest of anime are exactly the same and never bother with anything else.

found a YouTuber who was able to put into words what they couldn’t themselves

Except they spout the same vague non-criticisms. That's not really putting things in to words. You can pretty much go up to any story and talk about how the protagonist is a bland OP Gary Stue.

As for what makes SAO better. It's not written as a rushed cash grab that stretches story arcs to oblivion in order to milk them for profit. It doesn't follow the same tired old "idiot protagonist" trope. It's also not as preachy with the whole "power of friendship" crap.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mylittlefascist:

The HST keeps people's opinions of anime locked in a little shell. This holds true for both the people who really really like it and never bother with anything else, as well as the people who really hate it and think the rest of anime are exactly the same and never bother with anything else.

That's not exactly true. Some people just don't like anime and wont no matter what. Like there are tons of people on this site that are just all about comics and won't branch out to anime because... reasons. Most people start out with shounen then branch out to other stuff if they care to.

Except they spout the same vague non-criticisms. That's not really putting things in to words. You can pretty much go up to any story and talk about how the protagonist is a bland OP Gary Stue.

If anything, what happened is a lot of people liked the show at first, then someone pointed out all the things that made the show stupid, then the masses who didn't realize it on their own felt stupid themselves for not realizing what they should have. But this goes into how people should just like whatever they want regardless of what other people think. The goal is just to be entertained. And not all protagonists are as bland as Kirito, lol. Some actually have some depth that makes them relatable.

As for what makes SAO better. It's not written as a rushed cash grab that stretches story arcs to oblivion in order to milk them for profit.

I'm pretty sure light novels fall into that same generic trend mostly, just not as long running as your typical shounen.

It doesn't follow the same tired old "idiot protagonist" trope.

True. It uses the "over powered protagonist" trope like many light novel characters, and uses like all the harem girl waifu tropes instead... Hardly better, unless you just love harem that is.

it's also not as preachy with the whole "power of friendship" crap.

Power of friendship is incredibly relatable though, lol. Only Fairy Tail takes that to extremes. And SAO tried hard to be deep and failed. Not to mention some of the absolute cringe love based stuff.