Violence in Manga/Comics.

TeaParty88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TeaParty88

So I've re-read McCarthy's Blood Meridian the other day, and still the violence that was portrayed in the book was stomach turning, the massacre of infants and the scalping of the native Americans are still haunting as ever,(and the central thesis that man is an inherently wicked being, as long as man exist violence, war brutality will always be present, the randomness of evil and its corrupting nature was plastered through out the book,) but comparing it to the likes of Ennis' Crossed or Punisher MAX, Moore's Swamp Thing, the latter's portrayal of violence/brutality seems cartoonish, I can't take it seriously, specially in Crossed, where the violence comes across as comedic at times, even in Mangas, I find the violence in Berserk silly, it doesn't invoke any feeling of dread or terror in me, specially the Horse-Farnese rape scene, that shit was ridiculous as hell, as if Miura just put that in there to shock the reader and nothing else.

Anyways, it brings me to the question, does imaginations beat visual presentation?

Avatar image for deactivated-618fa694ab075
deactivated-618fa694ab075

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These works seems interesting ngl

TeaParty88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive read a lot of violent comics in my life & i still haven't found anything that shocks me all that much maybe since im an mk kid which is essentially an autopsy simulator at this point, in my experience tho some of the most messed up things are always worst when they're implied rather than explicitly shown but that might be because i have a vivid imagination

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Berserk terrifies me, probably because rape/torture makes me scared

TeaParty88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TeaParty88

@divyansh13: I never felt terrified with Berserk, IMO it kinda feels like your typical dark action story with some superficial philosophical trappings. But I guess, the realness of Blood Meridian's historical background (in context with the story) is more off putting just because, the characters in BM were based on real people and their acts of atrocities were real, it happened. The Glanton Gang were a real band of scalp hunters during the 1840's to 1850's, besides that Blood Meridian was chunk full of metaphors, allegories, allusions etc that it feels like biblical, maybe that's also a reason why novels like Blood Meridian invokes more compared to its sequential art brethren. I know I'm wrong in comparing Berserk to something more deep, but it really begs the question that, does visual presentation can't match the imaginations that a well written prose can invoke?